461 West 23rd
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barchettanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-7400
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Dinner 5:00pm until 10:30pm
Tuesday - Friday, Lunch 12:00pm until 2:30pm, Dinner 5:00pm until 11:30pm
Saturday, Brunch 11:30am until 4:30pm, Dinner 4:30pm until 11:30pm
Sunday, Brunch 11:30am until 4:30pm, Dinner 4:30pm until 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dave Pasternack
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Located in the heart of Chelsea in the iconic London Terrace Gardens, we are within walking distance of the famed Highline and Gallery District.
- Cross Street: 10th Avenue
- Public Transit: Subway:
C or E Train to 23rd & 8th Avenue 1 or 2 on 23rd & 7th Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is available on 23rd Street, after 6 pm.
It is also suggested that guests park their cars at 249 Parking Corporation, located at 249 10th Avenue, between 24th and 25th Street.
For reservations, event inquiries or gift cards please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Barchetta
Barchetta, Italian for ‘little boat’ captures the charms of the Mediterranean seaside. An Italian seafood trattoria, Barchetta is a partnership between Esca’s acclaimed Chef & Partner Dave Pasternack and John Meadow’s LDV Hospitality. Pasternack brings his passion of sourcing the freshest ingredients of the sea and expertise of Italian cuisine to Barchetta’s intimate yet bustling atmosphere inspired by the communal charm of the rustic trattoria experience. Barchetta provides a casual bar dining experience of Pasternack’s trademark crudo tastings or a feast of homemade pastas, seafood antipasti, and whole fish paired with an eclectic international wine list. Delivered with gracious, genuine hospitality, Barchetta brings la dolce vita to life in New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barchetta reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (58)notable wine list (31)special occasion (31)good for groups (29)hot spot (25)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/19/2014Great new west Chelsea spot. Newly opened Esca south. A little hard to find. Could benefit from better signage. Wonderful menu complimented by attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoostVIPDined on 11/16/2014Lobster roll, arugula salad were all amazing dishes!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very FishyHeshDined on 11/15/2014Excellent menu, excellent food service was great. Overall a new find for us. We had the crisp which was very tasty. Pasta with crab sauce was amazing and the striped bass was delicious. The highlight was the apple crostata. Just the best desert we ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and placeLuccioSDined on 11/14/2014The food is wonderful! It is nice to find a restaurant that dares to have a differentiated menu offering fresh fish and wonderful pasta. Classic with a twist and nicely low lit atmosphere make it perfect for a date or to catch up with great friends. A great addition to Chelsea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant just toooo noisySueMcKVIPDined on 11/12/2014The service, food and wine excellent. My only negative comment is the noise. decor is lovely, but I felt like I had to talk loudly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood near the HighlineRobinVIPDined on 11/11/2014If you want amazing seafood near the Highline, then go to Barchetta. Crudo was out of this world and octopus was the best I've ever eaten. Service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pristine seafood, expertly preparedJustJenVIPDined on 11/10/2014David Pasternack does not disappoint -- he knows his way around a fish, for sure! Beautifully fresh fish, everything was spot on. Great cocktails, unique but not annoyingly so, and very delicious.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014My two friends and I really enjoyed the overall experience here. The grilled octopus app was delicious, the pasta w/ crab meat and bread crumb spaghetti, amazing. My fish entree was a little on the cool side but everything was very tasty, including my friend's entree, the skirt steak. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/5/2014I do not often recommend the service in NYC restaurants, where it seems to be a lost art. But the staff at this place has been trained, and it shows.Special Features:
- Great, with a caveatDavidSegalVIPDined on 11/3/2014Really top-notch food, attentive service, a dining space that is truly gorgeous -- this restaurant has it all. But it also has one thing I dearly wish it would lose: an overly noisy soundtrack. This has become a core affliction of New York restaurants. Why oh why oh does a restaurant as classy and as superbly executed as Barchetta think that Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever" is the right music for a Monday night, at 10 pm? It would be one thing if the music were low enough to be ignored. But it's not. And when we asked our waitress to please, turn it down a bit, she did not. Or maybe she asked and was told no. Honest, there is no way that anyone in that room wanted "Cat Scratch Fever" at that volume. Lose the noise and I'm a regular.Special Features:
- ErwinVIPDined on 10/21/2014One of the better restaurants in Chelsea..and the only one specializing in serving seafood. The place was not very busy when we dined here at 8:00 pm one tuesday evening. But the place got busier as the night went along. The food is great and the service is attentive. However, the place may be overpriced.Special Features:
- David never dissapointedBobbiesbestDined on 10/18/2014David Pasternak is an amazing chef. He knows exactly what to do with anything that comes from the sea and is able to pair sea and land beautifully. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent whole flounder, very fresh and simply prepared. With the vegetable selection (a la carte) and kale salad (with tasty bacon vinaigrette), this was a substantial meal. Not cheap, but worth it. Glasses of wine are overpriced ($15-16), but you can find a reasonably priced bottle. Waiter was very helpful and pleasant. I recommend this place!Special Features:
- Good food in ChelseaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014Enjoyable meal at Barchetta. Our waiter was excellent! The octopus appetizer is worth the trip alone. Good wine suggestions by the glass. Food was good. Ambiance is more loud bar/party mode than elegant dining restaurant. In addition, we were seated right next to the waitstaff input station - not exactly ideal for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- A real winnerVirginiaVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had a lovely dinner. the crudo sampler was excellent, with six different fish served in two flights. The whole flounder, simply prepared, was ocean fresh and ldelicious. Service was top notch, and the wine recommendations excellent and the selections reasonably priced. Seafood is the star here, though one in our trio loved his pork chop.Special Features:
- LivetoeatDined on 10/14/2014Took a foodie friend for her birthday. She loved it. Linguine in briny clams especially good. Bread is addictive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For fish loversalwayshungryVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is how I like to eat: a whole fish, simply prepared, no fuss, but messy of course to eat (I would have it no other way). I had a delicious Florida pompano, my husband a black sea bass. There were 4 whole fish on the menu the night we were there, plenty to choose from. Our appetizers were also excellent; the charred octopus and tiny, fried spearlings (I think they were called) that were delicious. The vegetables, a separate order, were cauliflower and acorn squash and they were wonderful sides. The noise level seemed lower than when we were there a couple of months ago. Service was excellent. If you like fish this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly enjoyable experienceddddVIPDined on 9/22/2014There is no better seafood chef than David Pasternak. The fish are as fresh and well cooked as any I have ever eaten. The service is very considerate and accommodating. The atmosphere is lively with out being intrusive. I cannot not recommend Barchetta highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local and wont returndavidVIPDined on 9/22/2014Over-priced - small portions - not special - way too noisy A pity that the hype doesn't match the result
- Barchetta needs some workmsbnyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I wanted to like this restaurant. It does not know what it wants to be thematically & is lacking in character. Black clad young women at the door who greet and seat you, then casual-look servers with aprons. Arrived with an early reservation for 2 & it was practically empty. They tried to seat us all the way in the back at a table for 4. Then suddenly switched us to a nice corner table for 2 up front. Our server was polite, friendly & knowledgeable. The beet ravioli was a great, smart dish. I had the sea bream and my husband had the king fish. My fish had too much charring on the outside but overall pretty good dish with the olive relish. The king fish was a hearty portion, cooked correctly but the side of kale and beans was too mushy.
- mixed experiencejakiDined on 9/19/2014The bartender was nice and made a special cocktail for me, which i appreciated. The waiter however never asked us how our food was and seemed uncaring about our experience. I ordered the whole fish for one, which I thought would be unique but it wasn't. It was super small and overcooked. It was tasty but not worth the price, nothing special, not moist or especially flavorful as expected. The salad was great, loved the heirloom tomatoes, very fresh and delicious. The broccoli side dish was pitiful. It was so overcooked it had the appearance of being boiled. I can't believe they let it out of the kitchen. I asked the waiter a question about the fish and he became defensive, which I thought was unfriendly and uncalled for.
- Great chefs not always greatMA60Dined on 9/15/2014To think you know everything about fish,doesn't mean you can cook it. Crudo testing so small,you need magnified glass to find fish on the plate, for $28.00 at list put some fish. For main course we order spigola, it was dried. Thanks god bottle of Cordorso Vermentino was pleasant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014Service was a bit desultory and sommelier misdescribed a wine--which was ordered based on the description. Food was well-prepared, but portion sizes were uneven. Reservation was confirmed as a birthday dinner, but no recognition of event was made.Special Features:
- JannVIPDined on 9/11/2014Started with Pink Snapper Crudo-3 small 1" square x 1/4" thick pieces @ $17.00 (less than $1.00 worth of fish)delicate and refreshing but grossly overpriced for the miniscule portion. Linguine with briny clams was delightful- well cooked pasta and pleasant briny flavor. Bavette with jumbo crabmeat was pleasant but lacked identifiable crab flavor as it contained no more than a tablespoon of crab; @ $23.00 for each entree, the clams were a far better value. Waiters' aprons should be replaced. Although made of linen, they look like an soiled, rumpled dish rags. Very noisy.
- Delicious food, small portionsZenksDined on 9/11/2014Lively, energetic atmosphere and very good food. However, portions are quite small and sides are virtually nonexistent. No green veggies on the menu! We also had one entrée (fettuccine with lobster) that literally came with one bite-size morsel of lobster- hardly worth the $28 price tag! We mentioned this to our waitress, who brought it to the attention of the hostess and neither seemed to care very much. They were not apologetic and seemed very defensive. They offered to bring a new entrée, but by then we were nearly finished eating. They ultimately removed this one item from our bill, but only after my husband asked them whether we would be charged for the dish. The rest of the food was delicious, however. Unsure if we'll return.Special Features:
- For Seafood lovers!tunaDined on 9/10/2014Our neighborhood needed a great seafood restaurant, and now we have one. My husband only eats seafood, and has greatly enjoyed his meals, here. Loves the oysters, the simple preparation, and the attention to detail. Thank you, Barchetta.Special Features:
- Budgie123Dined on 9/10/2014Excellent, fresh seafood and terrific, interesting pasta dishes. Crudo selections were delicious, as were the lobster and shrimp pasta selections. Service was attentive, and wine list had good options at a variety of price points. Noise level was somewhat high, but not nearly as bad as what others have described. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very LoudRealtorDined on 9/5/2014The Food was excellent. The noise level was too high. Had a hard time talking.We oredered the Snapper for two and it was Excellent.Special Features:
- Fresh, fresh, fresh!Love2eatoutVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything we had was very fresh and cooked perfectly! The assorted crudo was especially delicious and were the crostini. The pasta with lobster and tomatoes was light and delicious as was the salmon. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- THE fish restaurant in NYCMicbaldaDined on 9/2/2014The crudo is sublime, the pastas interesting. The wine list not obvious and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new Italian seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This place is one of the best Italian restaurants I have been to in New York City. Their seafood is excellent, and their pasta dishes are to die for. The crudo is absolutely great and I recommend it to anyone who visits this establishment. Give it a try, you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & DeliciousAlianogDined on 8/29/2014The title says it all. The crudo we ordered was simply seasoned and delicious. The main course dishes were equally delicious - we had the pork and the fish. Both were fantastic. My fish was fresh and the seasoning complimented it beautifully and didn't overpower the dish. The pork was tender and juicy. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodIlovebeefVIPDined on 8/28/2014The crudo at Barchetta is absolutely one of the best I've ever had. Be sure to have the crudo flight for $28 to get a great variety of incredibly fresh fish. All other entrees, including the cooked fish are done to perfection. Cocktails are also excellent and well balanced. Wonderful and lively place to celebrate!Special Features:
- Great fish!globalgirlDined on 8/23/2014As someone who's spent alot if time in Japan and the Mediterranean area, I love fresh fish. This place has great fish. Not quite as good as those places, but darn close. The sever was excellent. The place is lacking a bit in atmosphere. But if it is good fish you are after, this us the place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pescatorial PleasureEggHeadDined on 8/22/2014Excellent service; excellent food; thoroughly enjoyable. Arrived VERY early--5 p.m. because we had to--to an empty restaurant--and were shown to "the best table in the house," which it probably is, looking out an arched window onto the beautiful, rear-yard greenery of the London Terrace Apartment building. Our waiter assured us we were his favorite table (we were the only one at the time) and was very helpful with descriptions of menu preparations--95% seafood (Barchetta is an offspring of Esca), and persuasive about the evening's special which was truly excellent and, serving three, well-priced. Every food item was imaginatively and thoughtfully made with little twists indicating attention to little details that make a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deafeningPortenduereDined on 8/20/2014The level of noise in the restaurant is simply beyond. No conversation or enjoyment of the great dishes and service is possible.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We had a very exquisite experience from the moment we entered until we left. Our waiter, who was from Slovenia, was incredibly nice and knowledgeable. He made the experience of dining at Barchetta even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Requested Booth;Noisy KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/15/2014I live in the neighborhood and have had eaten at all of the restaurant iterations at this location, so I know the space well. I specifically requested a booth and instead we were given a table right in front of the kitchen door. Great. I asked for the booth again before we were seated (it was set for 3) and was told both booths were reserved (for who? a party of 2). The table was all to be expected, very busy, noisy and new waiters dropping and breaking plates. Not a great experience. Bad table and the place wasn't even full. Unless you live in the neighborhood, I would not make the trip out. Food is fine for NYC but it does not overcome the bad front of house.
- AdrianaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great food, great service. A nice surprise. The "grilled orata" was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014We chose Barchetta primarily based on location and reviews, but we will definitely choose it in the future for the delicious food and wonderful service! With so many choices it's nice to find a restaurant in NYC that you would want to visit again. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.