775 Washington St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barbutonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129249700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00 am
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Waxman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that accommodates up to 10 people, and our chefs table fits up to 14 people.
A word from Barbuto
Barbuto is a casual Italian Eatery in the Meat Packing District featuring the seasonal green market cuisine of Jonathan Waxman. We accept reservations for parties of three or more and all parties of two are accommodated on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbuto reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (68)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (39)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (19)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (11)romantic (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- Favorite restaurantCJoyDined on 8/26/2014Barbuto has become my favorite restaurant in a city of fabulous restaurants. The food is always, always outstanding -- the chicken is famous for a reason. This last time we were there we had dessert -- a treat -- the biscotti were so yummy and crunchy and tasted like home. The budino is elegant and silky and sexy. The place is loud and noisy and a scene. If you're looking for intimate and quiet, choose someplace else. But, the wait staff -- including the back staff -- is wonderful -- always pleasant and patient and attentive. Carlos took care of us the other night and he was awesome.Special Features:
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed every course and appreciated the swift service, comfortable dining room, lively crowd, and friendly staff. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, great to see the chef was in the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly serviceMvegaDined on 8/23/2014Everyone, even the bus boys, were extremely polite and charismatic. The food was great and the waitress was extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbuto is WonderfulPeterfromDallasTexasDined on 8/15/2014A great place to go for dinner....the atmosphere was super and the food was top. The service was just ok. Still, a real gem in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIGDinnerVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food at Barbuto was simply outstanding and the portions are huge! This is one of the best value restaurants for both quality and portion size in NYC. The staff was very accommodating and service was friendly. Don't miss the pasta dishes! The bar menu was varied but not extensive with plenty to choose from. Overall I was very impressed and will be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a family dinner at Barbuto for my wife's birthday. One of our favorite places. The food was excellent as always. Don't miss the chicken, gnocci or swordfish. Really nice wine list with very reasonable prices. Service was great & they sent out dessert with a candle. They make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine diningMortyDined on 7/29/2014Great outdoor summer vibe. Had the skirt steak which had flavourful seasoning and really tender. Everyone in our group enjoyed their meal. Got a bit noisy at times.Special Features:
- Great Pollo!FoodFanaticVIPDined on 7/29/2014To think that the chicken is the first and last thing you mentioned would mean you missed out on all the other delicious food. The Gnocchi is delectable and the other options sublime. Can't comment about other dishes as can't get that Pollo out of my mind.Special Features:
- LovedSsa1234VIPDined on 7/24/2014Emailed them before about food restrictions.. the server knew and was ready to accomodate. Good was A+. Kale salad and gnocchi with haZelnuts were amazing. Corn bucatini dish and cod w salsa verde(change we made bc we don't eat meat or shellfish) were great. Dessert tora w blueberries was also awesome. Only fail was panini dessert. Noise level was high but not so high we couldn't hear each other. Place was full w doors open and weather was perfect. We were seated right away. No complaints. 745 res we were out by 930...perfect timing. Apps came out a bit slow but we were enjoying the rose so we hardly noticed. Def worth a visit. Well be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great timeNJUnitedDined on 7/20/2014Barbuto never fails to deliver a fun time based on excellent food, service and a lively West Village scene. The patates are memorableSpecial Features:
- good but we had a cheep problem!Shogun1947Dined on 7/12/2014my wife ordered a great blush white wine with her meal....food was great...I asked for another glass of wine, the server brought the bottle and poured a small amount into my wife's glass, before I stopped her and said No, not a refill, I want a glass,...at which point she picked my wife's glass up and took it away, as she had put some extra wine in her glass, that she would not have paid for....cheep cheep cheep! other than that great noisy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious!ILuvfoodDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend of mine. I must say the food is prepared simple yet it is so tasty! We had the kale salad to start which was tasty. The size is big enough to split with 2-3 people. There were 3 of us in our party and it was just enough for us. Two of us ordered the skirt steak and my other friend had the chicken. The skirt steak was delicious and seasoned perfectly!! My friend gave me a piece of her chicken to try and like other reviews- delicious and juicy. Even the white meat was moist! I would highly recommend this restaurant. I made a reservation on line and arrived late due to traffic and they gladly accommodated us. Service was great too. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!SweetpeaVIPDined on 7/7/2014Dined here with a group of friends and it was amazing! Ihad the gnocchi as recommended by the server - and my friends had risotto and the chicken. All was extremely good! We ended by sharing the chocolate pudding which shouldn't be missed. It is just so good!!! The place is popular and it was packed by the time we left on a Monday night. Highly recommend and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtodineDined on 7/6/2014The food was delicious. Had the kale salad and roasted chicken. However, although our waiter was as nice as he could be- he would disappear on us! Several times we had to ask for something through a busboy we flagged down...all the way to the end of our meal to request our check!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food and great ambienceAwesomeDined on 7/4/2014Great location and atmosphere. The veal ragu pasta was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/4/2014The food is perfectly prepared and tastes amazing. The staff is great and attentive! Its a must if you're in the area.Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Pizza uovo excellent. Love the Sinsky rose offered, though 20/glass is beyond steep. If I still lived in the neighborhood, would go back again and again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereforeverafoodieDined on 6/20/2014Loved this Italian restaurant ! We were 5 and it was a beautiful evening to dine with all the doors open. We shared appy's, salads, entrees, & deserts. We enjoyed everything. Unique flavors & fresh foods will bring us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great open space and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2014Kitchen is open layout and the atmosphere was lively. Food was delicious - enjoyed the pastas and definitely the chicken is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and great food!ShaekingDined on 6/16/2014Big fan if this resturant just hard to get into. Monday night luck was on our side and we got in! Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From CanadaApvlDined on 6/7/2014Enjoyed our meal and the deserts were incredible! Almost getting to the point of being too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken is worth it alone!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Best chicken ever, amazing pasta, cool side and dessert.... But awful cop! Not the restaurant fault... But the dining place is open and a cop was arresting taxi drivers 3 times in a row in front of the establishment ... With the light on and everything! Still... You should go to this eatery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014Not nearly the quality I expected. Barely on par with other NYC hot spots, let alone an up and coming location from a "celebrity" chef. Neighborhood is blasé, it's built into a garage and it's bloody expensive, too.Special Features:
- Great food, Horrible ServiceJasonDined on 6/4/2014I had this waiter the other day for lunch, Gilbert, that was so useless and inattentive. He ignore us most of our meal. He refused to ask the kitchen to split a salad for us even though the last 2 times I was at Barbuto, they were happy to split the salad. I had to chase him down to get a check and then after waiting 20 mins, I had to chase him down to pay the check. He made an excuse that he was busy with other tables, where actually he was standing around talking to the bartender and other waiters. I think Jonathan Waxman's food is incredible with an incredible focus on detail. I wish the waitstaff were hired with the same critical eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little dissapointingdoserDined on 5/30/2014Chicken was juicy and had crispy skin, as you would expect. Couls easily had been more of the salsa verde, twice as much would be great. A little heavy on the salt. Wanted to try the pasta with crab, but they didn`t have that on the menu. The JW margarita was way too strong, but the Cosmopolitan was goodSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Loud AtmosphereXOXODined on 5/28/2014Food is always amazing. First time tasting the pasta and it was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great, Casual SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/27/2014This trip to NYC, I wanted to go to a nice restaurant that didn't require a certain dress code. Barbuto totally fit the bill! The service and food were excellent, all in a relaxed, casual atmosphere. I will definitely recommend it to anyone!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014Exceptional place. Outstanding food/wine/service without pretense. I wish I could hang out there from noon to midnight.Special Features:
- Everything and MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2014We are still talking about dinner at Barbuto 2 days afterward. Outstanding! The casual physical space belies the true genius of the chef. The kale saiad was so finely chopped and PERFECTLY dressed. Don't miss it! The peppery pasta carbonara was the best we've ever had. The impeccable signature chicken dish was everything we'd heard it was; crispy, juicy, and topped with a beautifully fresh salsa verde. We travel to NYC twice a year and dine at the restaurants of acclaimed chefs. This was one of our favorite meals ever! My husband can't stop talking about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chickenlover1Dined on 5/21/2014Great food! Great service and great prices. We love this place !Special Features:
- Fab food and space, chef!VirginiaDined on 5/20/2014Jonathan Waxman has been a celebrity chef since I was a hippie saving for a meal at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, where he cooked back when Cal Cuisine was invented. Barbuto reflects his experience and attention to delicious detail. Incredible roast chicken and crispy potatoes, great salads. Lovely space on a perfect NY night, walls rolled up to the spring air. If I lived in the neighborhood I'd stop in for a glass of wine and a kale salad or gnocchi once a week. Only drawback-- pretty darned loud. But what a great evening with family, complete with chef coming by to say hi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of NYCMarykatherinegallagherDined on 5/20/2014We ate a lot in New York and Barbuto was the best. Plus we had a celebrity sighting of Jonathan Waxman himself!Special Features:
- Chicken and PotatoesJeffDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I have been wanting to have the chicken at Barbuto's forever. We waited for a great spring day so we could walk the High Line and then have a fantastic dinner. This past Saturday all the stars aligned. The sun was out, the streets were packed and dinner was served. The bar was rocking with lively conversation, our drinks were served and our orders were placed-simply chicken with a side of potatoes and broccoli rabe. The best chicken we've ever eaten, including Mom's. Crisp skin, moist meat and to-die-for fried potatoes. Thank you Jonathan for a perfect ending to a perfect day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real gemjoawest71Dined on 5/15/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Barbuto's. It was recommended to us by a friend's brother, who is a foodie. It exceeded our expectations. The service was great - we would have ordered too much, but our waitress suggested we share the JW chicken, and it was a good job we did! The chicken was deliciously moist. We also ordered the pork, spring gnocchi, and two appies. Everything was cooked to perfection, using the best seasonal ingredients. We booked for 6pm as everything later was taken. I was worried we'd be rushed off the table to accommodate a later booking, but this wasn't the case at all. We left around 9:15. I will definitely go there again the next time I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- Always Amazingmes1523VIPDined on 5/13/2014The food is always delicious, the service terrific, and the vibe fun and lively. This restaurant consistently delivers and provides a truly New York dining experience. I moved to the area about a year ago and have been here maybe 10 times since. The Roast chicken never disappoints. I've come here for special events, like birthdays or New Years, brought friends here in from out-of-town, and also just come in last minute to make an ordinary night special. Also great to see the owner Jonathan Waxman there, Barbuto is a neighborhood gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 5/11/2014Barbuto is known for its roast chicken. So I ordered it when I visited the restaurant on Sunday. Honestly I've tasted better chicken at Chirping Chicken
- What a disappointmentCalifornianVIPDined on 5/5/2014After going there for lunch and having a delicious pizza, I was so disappointed to find out they don't serve pizza at night. The reason they gave is that their grill did not have the capacity, I suspect the place is a "volume business" and they want to crank out as many overpriced other dishes as they can. My son ordered the duck pasta and they told us he was lucky to get the last order. It came and it literally had 5 small pieces of pasta in it. I mentioned this to the waitress and she said it was a full portion, that since the pasta was homemade they didn't give you a lot (???). I think they scraped the bottom of the pot and charge us $19 for the leftovers. A very disappointing experience with very mediocre overpriced food.
- Perfect casual dinnerVfxsuperDined on 5/5/2014Chicken was amazing. So was the duck liver bruschetta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealEVFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014We took four out of town friends, who were experiencing Barbuto for the first time. They absolutely loved it. Every bite was flavorful, fresh and the use of seasonal ingredients really makes a huge difference. We shared a couple of the pastas, the kale salad and the duck liver pate as starters, and then had the chicken, steak, fish, and a risotto for mains. Side of carrots (with honey and parsley - delicious) and the potatoes. Not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 744 reviews are from the Barbuto reviews archive.