234 Avenue Laurier Ouest
Montreal, QC H2T 2N8Neighborhood:
TurkishPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbounya.com/
- Phone: (514) 439-8858
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Turkish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Fisun Ercan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Barbounya
Turkish-inspired mezze and tapas bar - Warm intimate ambience - Private room available for groupsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Barbounya - Best Restaurants in Mile End ›
Barbounya reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (14)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- donnadDined on 11/22/2014Very pleased with the evening. The decor and ambiance was fun, and all the dishes that my friends and I ordered were excellent (tuna, salmon, soft shell crab)! We were a party of 3 and sat at the bar, at the corner, which was perfect to chat and share food. The recommendation of wines was also excellent as well. I have already recommended the restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jb12Dined on 11/15/2014The food was very good,but the service was lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah-mazing!delishDined on 11/4/2014Best meal ive had all month and we didn't even choose our dishes. went for mtl a table and every bite was better then the next!Special Features:
- Great food, bad serviceDannyDined on 10/31/2014Waiter doesn't give separate bills, and when you ask, shows very bad moods. That's odd, as the place is great and deserves more "easy going" waiters.Special Features:
- Montréal À Table-Too small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Montréal À Table is an amazing opportunity to get to know and enjoy new restaurants! However, Barbounya was a dissapointment. Way to small portions for a special $39 menu. It was good, but left the place still hungry after an entrée, main course and a tiny dessert. Turkish coffee was not impressive at all. I do love turkish coffee but it didn't taste good. Too bad because I've been waiting to go to that place!Special Features:
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Terrible service, terrible beer, terrible owner that can't take criticism. No skills to manage complaint management. Average food but no flexibility in the menu during Montreal à Table event. Way too overpriced for what it was. Definitely a no-go. There is better elsewhere.
- Terrible serviceseanVIPDined on 9/26/2014Terrible service, extremely rude manager, long wait and for what it's worth the food is not as good as it used to be when it first opened.
- DisappointedmammarocksVIPDined on 9/20/2014We frequent the sister restaurant SU quite frequently and love it so we were keen on trying the tapas style Turkish resto. Apart from a great Quinoa salad, a very good ( but not outstanding) octopus cerviche, everything else I tried but did not eat. Nothing was WOW except the size of the beer glass of our friends pint of beer. Certainly not going back for that! No, for us there won't be a repeat performance. BRING back Salute
- Second Visit as Good as FIrstGlobalguysDined on 9/13/2014Barbounya is a treat to be experienced. The food is imaginative and daring, and comes in tapas-like small plates. The waitstaff is extremely well trained and knows both the food and the wine. Foodies will love the experience. It is especially good with a group from 4 to 8. Some of our favorite dishes were missing from the menu at this visit, but there were many others to choose from. Our favorites this time were the grilled octopus, the fried haloumi cheese with 4 kinds of mushrooms, the braised rabbit leg, and the lamb. Coffees were superb. Our only disappointment was that the dessert list was quite appetizing, but most of the items had been replaced with somewhat mundane replacements. They were even out of sorbets and ice creams?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KinaVIPDined on 9/11/2014Plats exquis aux parfums exotiques d'une fraîcheur incomparable; présentation soignée, service digne d'un grand restaurant; décor très chaleureux; belles découvertes à la carte des vins. Accueil des plus agréables. Un endroit qui saura vous plaire, sans aucun doute! Les menus midis et brunch sont de belles valeurs qualités-prix.Special Features:
- FredKVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our second visit and the food was still excellent! The portions are not over sized, so you can enjoy many "tapas sized" Turkish mezes. We did, however, miss the excellent lacerdaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary experienceChanelDined on 8/29/2014If you like proximity with strangers (you share your table), and a noisy environment, then Barbounya is a right fit for you. The food is amazing. We ordered the Group Menu @ $50 per person, and it was a non-stop sampling of fabulous dishes, most of which were a culinary discovery. The mix of flavours was delightful and the wine recommended by our waiter was an excellent complement to the food. The only slight hitch was that our first dishes were served while we were still having our aperitif drinks, and despite the fact that we had asked them to wait before serving the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyableLEHAVIPDined on 8/20/2014Three of us had a wonderful dinner here with excellent service and delicious, very fresh and very innovative dishes. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Beau et Delicieux!!!!karakter8Dined on 8/12/2014Espace agréable et convivial. Les serveurs sont attentionnés et, surout, les plats sont fabuleusement bons. Saveurs nouvelles, fraîches et surprenantes. La chef Fisun fait des merveilles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Luvfood12Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing food experience. Tapas style turkish cuisine. The eggplant and lamb poutine was incredible. The lamb kofte was cooked to perfection. Service was friendly and attentive. I will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belle découverteLineCDined on 8/1/2014Nous avons choisi le menu découverte à 50$ p.p. et avons ajouté la pieuvre grillée. Nous étions 4 personnes. Nous avons eu suffisamment de nourriture. Il y avait de très bons plats et d'autres "moyens". La salade de langue de veau ne fut appréciée que par moi et j'ai dû ajouter du sel p.c.q. manquait d'assaisonnement; le foi de veau était beaucoup trop cuit qu'il goûtait le foi de boeuf... et personne n'a compris la caille frite, on se questionne encore. Par contre, tous les crus étaient délicieux, les plats d'agneau également et naturellement les aubergines, champignons et quinoa étaient savoureux.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Barbounya reviews archive.
- BarbounyagnamgnamDined on 7/13/2014Great quality and innovative ways to present incredibly tasty food. The service is very friendly. The atmosphere is vibrant, the decor is warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againJackCDined on 7/8/2014Again and again i go back to this restaurant with pleasure. Not too much change on the menu but well prepared turkish tapas (small plates to share), interesting wine list (try their turkish wines ) and excellent service. A good address in a stree with other good restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceTAndMDined on 7/8/2014Loved the fondue, hot and cold plates, excellent calamari and eggplantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLyneDined on 6/18/2014Great food and excellent service. Very good suggestion of wine to pair our foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different in a very good wayFredikooDined on 6/17/2014The bar- like configuration can present problems in communicating with friends, but the food is so interesting and so good that perhaps talking to a friend is extraneous business! The Turkish meze rely on traditional recipes but there are unusual twists that make the offerings truly unusual even for people like us who know Turkish food well (my husband grew up in Istanbul.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Several times here for dinner with family or friends. Next time we'll probably go for brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4thesoulDined on 5/6/2014The portions are great for 2 women but men with appetites would have to order the suggested number of items and the cost would be excessive-However the food warrants it- each plate has very subtle and delicious flavours.Special Features:
- Food great, but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/2/2014Came here with a group of friends on a Friday night for dinner. The ambience is really great and the servers are very nice and helpful. They know the menu extremely well and answer any questions that you have. The food was very good, particularly the quinoa and mint dish; however, I found it to be overpriced for what the meal was. I enjoyed the overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe - great foodMrWodoVIPDined on 3/15/2014My wife and I came to Barbounya for the first time this Saturday night. We arrived about 30 minutes early, but they sat us at a very cool mini-table in the front corner. The atmosphere was festive and happy, dimly lit with interesting music. Servers were great. The cocktails were interesting - loved the vodka-soda with a mint+anais addition. Food was very good. Favorites included the crispy kale and the lamb skewers. Great vibe - interesting layout inside. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, obsequious serviceTholepinDined on 2/28/2014Food is excellent, a bit expensive, but overall probably worth it. Service is friendly, but distinctly ingenuine - like being served by salesmen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced but worth the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Ambiance is great, service is great, food is excellent, but not memorable and a little overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMiel2Dined on 2/22/2014Food was great! But the loud technoish soundtrack, making it sound like Bily Kun, was annoying. The service staff should learn to be informative without sounding pretentious and pompous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialPietroDined on 2/18/2014À very relaxed atmosphere, with excellent food and interesting seating arrangements. Excellent service. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempting Turkish TapasDingdangVIPDined on 2/18/2014After not being back for,a few months we tried Barbouyna again and were not disappointed. The atmosphere and decor are most pleasing and the dishes are all delicious. Our waiter Avery was a delight and most knowledgeable about the wines . He suggested a white wine from Switzerland, of all places! that was so complimentary to our choice of tapas which was mainly fish. The oysters were fresh and the accompanying salsa electrifying. Such a marvelous combination. The grilled octopus tender and juicy, the zucchini veggie lasagna and the mouhamara were also top notch and the duck magret succulent. We will be back in less than a few months!Special Features:
- My first time hereLadybluesDined on 2/14/2014Just loved the place. Great wine list. Waiter was very helpful and thoughtful. Will diffently be back !!!Special Features:
- Nice evening at BarBounyaSdmgVIPDined on 1/30/2014We had a nice evening at BarBounya! I am a big fan of chef Fisun Ercan and was happily surprised by the fare offered on the menu... The tastes are farther from her restaurant Su (which I like to say it is very turkish) which was fun for me and yet you see her signature. All is prepared with a lot of finesse and I would say respect for the food... The service was good; I would not say particularly attentive but very courteous and polite. I recommend it to try for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbe decouverte!JeanLuc147Dined on 1/28/2014Un formidable clin doeil aux produits turcs! Menu tres complets de type mezze (tapas) Vins turcs au verre. Superbe interpretation de la chef. Le "layout" de type bar est tres cool (vraiment casual - peut etre pas lideal pour une premiere "date") Magnifique decouverte! Bravo!Special Features:
- Sublime Turkish TapasfabfoodDined on 1/25/2014Turkish tapas taken to a new level. Fantastically flavorful food. Common ingredients become sublime. Endive, red cabbage and citrus salad--sounds ordinary? It was absolutely sublime with a citrus dressing and marinated cabbage. Duck magret crusted in a unique spice blend, kale tempura with warm yogurt sauce and roasted tomatoes, grilled mushrooms and haloumi cheese. The meal was fantastic and the service was absolutely top notch. Friendly waiters who check back regularly and know their menu. Can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menuSpecial Features:
- A modern turkish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Excellent food completely revised dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish QuisineFredKVIPDined on 12/12/2013Despite the noise, we (four friends) were able to hold a conversation. Sitting at a long bar rather than tables was quite unusual, but it worked. Service was good and the food was superb! The same chef/owner as Su in Verdune, she has outdone herself here at Barbounya. Although each dish (served in relatively small but abundant portions) was remarkable, the lakerda was by far the best we've tasted outside of Turkey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Service is OKVallyVIPDined on 12/7/2013Great food! Service is OK considering you will need to poor your own wine.Special Features:
- Good food but high noise level and.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/6/2013A Montreal food blog recommended this place highly. The noise level was high and the seating consisted of long shared tables. Not the right ambience for us. The fish dish was excellent. The pork belly and salad were OK. With all the good food restaurants in Montreal we probably won't go back on a return trip.
- La bouffe est vraiment excellentejoseeb22Dined on 12/4/2013La bouffe est vraiment excellente et le service est très bien. L'endroit est magnifique et la cuisine de verre est sublime. Vraiment très bon restaurant de mezzés. Nous y retournons, c'est certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a RestoTrishyVIPDined on 12/3/2013The tapas style of the resto allows your group to enjoy many of the great dishes at this resto. The eggplant was perfection, the endives salad was delish and original, with the endives being grilled, and mixed with walnuts and strong cheese, and the fried chitters were to die for. Definitely will return. Also of note, the wiater was just outstanding, ameniable to all of our requests, helpful, just a delight to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.