234 Avenue Laurier Ouest
Montreal, QC H2T 2N8Neighborhood:
TurkishPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbounya.com/
- Phone: 5144398858x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Turkish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Fisun Ercan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Barbounya
Turkish-inspired mezze and tapas bar - Warm intimate ambience - Private room available for groupsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Barbounya - Best Restaurants in Mile End ›
Barbounya reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (18)special occasion (16)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)good for groups (10)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Most enjoyableLEHAVIPDined on 8/20/2014Three of us had a wonderful dinner here with excellent service and delicious, very fresh and very innovative dishes. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Beau et Delicieux!!!!karakter8Dined on 8/12/2014Espace agréable et convivial. Les serveurs sont attentionnés et, surout, les plats sont fabuleusement bons. Saveurs nouvelles, fraîches et surprenantes. La chef Fisun fait des merveilles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Luvfood12Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing food experience. Tapas style turkish cuisine. The eggplant and lamb poutine was incredible. The lamb kofte was cooked to perfection. Service was friendly and attentive. I will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belle découverteLineCDined on 8/1/2014Nous avons choisi le menu découverte à 50$ p.p. et avons ajouté la pieuvre grillée. Nous étions 4 personnes. Nous avons eu suffisamment de nourriture. Il y avait de très bons plats et d'autres "moyens". La salade de langue de veau ne fut appréciée que par moi et j'ai dû ajouter du sel p.c.q. manquait d'assaisonnement; le foi de veau était beaucoup trop cuit qu'il goûtait le foi de boeuf... et personne n'a compris la caille frite, on se questionne encore. Par contre, tous les crus étaient délicieux, les plats d'agneau également et naturellement les aubergines, champignons et quinoa étaient savoureux.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbounyagnamgnamDined on 7/13/2014Great quality and innovative ways to present incredibly tasty food. The service is very friendly. The atmosphere is vibrant, the decor is warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againJackCDined on 7/8/2014Again and again i go back to this restaurant with pleasure. Not too much change on the menu but well prepared turkish tapas (small plates to share), interesting wine list (try their turkish wines ) and excellent service. A good address in a stree with other good restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceTAndMDined on 7/8/2014Loved the fondue, hot and cold plates, excellent calamari and eggplantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLyneDined on 6/18/2014Great food and excellent service. Very good suggestion of wine to pair our foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different in a very good wayFredikooDined on 6/17/2014The bar- like configuration can present problems in communicating with friends, but the food is so interesting and so good that perhaps talking to a friend is extraneous business! The Turkish meze rely on traditional recipes but there are unusual twists that make the offerings truly unusual even for people like us who know Turkish food well (my husband grew up in Istanbul.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Several times here for dinner with family or friends. Next time we'll probably go for brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4thesoulDined on 5/6/2014The portions are great for 2 women but men with appetites would have to order the suggested number of items and the cost would be excessive-However the food warrants it- each plate has very subtle and delicious flavours.Special Features:
- The following 30 reviews are from the Barbounya reviews archive.
- Food great, but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/2/2014Came here with a group of friends on a Friday night for dinner. The ambience is really great and the servers are very nice and helpful. They know the menu extremely well and answer any questions that you have. The food was very good, particularly the quinoa and mint dish; however, I found it to be overpriced for what the meal was. I enjoyed the overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe - great foodMrWodoVIPDined on 3/15/2014My wife and I came to Barbounya for the first time this Saturday night. We arrived about 30 minutes early, but they sat us at a very cool mini-table in the front corner. The atmosphere was festive and happy, dimly lit with interesting music. Servers were great. The cocktails were interesting - loved the vodka-soda with a mint+anais addition. Food was very good. Favorites included the crispy kale and the lamb skewers. Great vibe - interesting layout inside. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, obsequious serviceTholepinDined on 2/28/2014Food is excellent, a bit expensive, but overall probably worth it. Service is friendly, but distinctly ingenuine - like being served by salesmen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced but worth the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Ambiance is great, service is great, food is excellent, but not memorable and a little overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMiel2Dined on 2/22/2014Food was great! But the loud technoish soundtrack, making it sound like Bily Kun, was annoying. The service staff should learn to be informative without sounding pretentious and pompous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialPietroDined on 2/18/2014À very relaxed atmosphere, with excellent food and interesting seating arrangements. Excellent service. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempting Turkish TapasDingdangVIPDined on 2/18/2014After not being back for,a few months we tried Barbouyna again and were not disappointed. The atmosphere and decor are most pleasing and the dishes are all delicious. Our waiter Avery was a delight and most knowledgeable about the wines . He suggested a white wine from Switzerland, of all places! that was so complimentary to our choice of tapas which was mainly fish. The oysters were fresh and the accompanying salsa electrifying. Such a marvelous combination. The grilled octopus tender and juicy, the zucchini veggie lasagna and the mouhamara were also top notch and the duck magret succulent. We will be back in less than a few months!Special Features:
- My first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Just loved the place. Great wine list. Waiter was very helpful and thoughtful. Will diffently be back !!!Special Features:
- Nice evening at BarBounyaSdmgVIPDined on 1/30/2014We had a nice evening at BarBounya! I am a big fan of chef Fisun Ercan and was happily surprised by the fare offered on the menu... The tastes are farther from her restaurant Su (which I like to say it is very turkish) which was fun for me and yet you see her signature. All is prepared with a lot of finesse and I would say respect for the food... The service was good; I would not say particularly attentive but very courteous and polite. I recommend it to try for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbe decouverte!JeanLuc147Dined on 1/28/2014Un formidable clin doeil aux produits turcs! Menu tres complets de type mezze (tapas) Vins turcs au verre. Superbe interpretation de la chef. Le "layout" de type bar est tres cool (vraiment casual - peut etre pas lideal pour une premiere "date") Magnifique decouverte! Bravo!Special Features:
- Sublime Turkish TapasfabfoodDined on 1/25/2014Turkish tapas taken to a new level. Fantastically flavorful food. Common ingredients become sublime. Endive, red cabbage and citrus salad--sounds ordinary? It was absolutely sublime with a citrus dressing and marinated cabbage. Duck magret crusted in a unique spice blend, kale tempura with warm yogurt sauce and roasted tomatoes, grilled mushrooms and haloumi cheese. The meal was fantastic and the service was absolutely top notch. Friendly waiters who check back regularly and know their menu. Can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menuSpecial Features:
- A modern turkish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Excellent food completely revised dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish QuisineFredKVIPDined on 12/12/2013Despite the noise, we (four friends) were able to hold a conversation. Sitting at a long bar rather than tables was quite unusual, but it worked. Service was good and the food was superb! The same chef/owner as Su in Verdune, she has outdone herself here at Barbounya. Although each dish (served in relatively small but abundant portions) was remarkable, the lakerda was by far the best we've tasted outside of Turkey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Service is OKVallyVIPDined on 12/7/2013Great food! Service is OK considering you will need to poor your own wine.Special Features:
- Good food but high noise level and.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/6/2013A Montreal food blog recommended this place highly. The noise level was high and the seating consisted of long shared tables. Not the right ambience for us. The fish dish was excellent. The pork belly and salad were OK. With all the good food restaurants in Montreal we probably won't go back on a return trip.
- La bouffe est vraiment excellentejoseeb22Dined on 12/4/2013La bouffe est vraiment excellente et le service est très bien. L'endroit est magnifique et la cuisine de verre est sublime. Vraiment très bon restaurant de mezzés. Nous y retournons, c'est certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a RestoTrishyVIPDined on 12/3/2013The tapas style of the resto allows your group to enjoy many of the great dishes at this resto. The eggplant was perfection, the endives salad was delish and original, with the endives being grilled, and mixed with walnuts and strong cheese, and the fried chitters were to die for. Definitely will return. Also of note, the wiater was just outstanding, ameniable to all of our requests, helpful, just a delight to deal with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location good food (tasty),OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/3/2013Great location good food (tasty), but the portions are way to small for the price. iIwas still hungry at the end of the meal. i enjoyed the dessert: vanilla and pistacchio cake with yogurt topping. I ordered the muhammara but didn't taste nuts at all... unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish delightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2013a nice turkish twist on the bistrot style. Good flavors, nice crow and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service affects experienceLePMRFoodAddictDined on 11/6/2013Recommended to us by coworkers and friend, we had great excitement for our first experience especially realizing it was during TasteMTL. Arriving for our 6:15 reservation, we were ecstatic to receive our meal. Appetizers came nearly 45 mins later; we decided to see past it as it was a busy night and he parties beside us didn't receive their food. Receiving our main course 1hr later (and after the parties beside us had finished theirs), we were hungry, frustrated and wanted to leave. A simple status inquiry during our wait was repeated as "It'll be about 2 mins" (for about 30 mins). Attitude of our 2 servers was less than sympathetic, and our portions were not equal to our neighbors. The food was good, but the experience was disappointing.Special Features:
- Montreal neighbourhoodoctoberclubDined on 10/18/2013Great restaurant and unique atmosphere. Extremely pleasant and helpful staff. Visiting Montreal and wanted a different experience. Kind of like a tapas bar... but Turkish, so unfamiliar dishes to us. Lots of vegetarian choices. Very interesting and delicious seafood. Only downside, was rather pricey for amount of food (for 3 females, total 9 dishes plus 5 gl wine = $ 67 each, incl tax, but not incl tip)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food... Service..too fastKiki7777Dined on 10/11/2013How to describe Barbounya in 2 words. Great. Quick. Your mezzes are brought so fastto the tabel that you are left after 40 minutes with a pile of plates in from of you, and a ruined appetite from trying to enjoy everything while it's still Hot. The great food is ruined by the extremely efficient (too edficient and fast to everyone's liking at our table, even the neighbours!). Surprising as the maître d' and the chef are well-versed in the food industry. Maybe something to improve as the food is very good, but not totally inexpensive for portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!Whats4dinner2niteDined on 8/29/2013Went on thurs and it was my second time going since their opening 1 month ago approx. The food was great but the portions for certain dishes were much inferior to others. Good selection on the menu for fish or meat eaters. The watermelon & feta salad was wonderful and perfect for a hot summer night. Grilled octopus was delish with its citrus wedges and bulgar. The wine selection is quite nice. Only thing is that the service needs to get it together. Like most new restos sometimes that takes a little time. Food can come out really fast if you don't tell the waiter to slow it down. Can be a good or bad thing depending on how long you wish to dine for. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to work on serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2013Let me start off with the food is great and taste amazing but the service definitely needs to be worked on. First, we started receiving our food and everything seemed fine until we were brought something that we hadn't ordered. They had 2 different waiters waiting on us so I think things got mixed up. We told them that it wasn't ours but one of the waiters insisted that yes in fact we had ordered this plate. I am a vegetarian so I obviously didn't order something with meat in it. We just decided to not fight them on it. This same mistake happened again and they even brought our neighbors pates to our table, the waiter apologized for their mistakes & even asked us if we would come back even after all that had happened. Meh wont be back.Special Features:
- Fisun à OutremontOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2013Nous sommes très chanceux d'avoir Fisunn à Outremont. Des plats raffinés, une service courtois et un environnement très agréable. Nous etions 4 et avons goutez à 12 plats et 2 desserts. J'y retourne dès que possible. Lise, MontréalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to dine outOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2013The food was excellent, the service was really good. We must recommend it to our friends! The turkish coffee was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Turkish TapasDingdangVIPDined on 7/3/2013Everything here is delicious and well presented. Service is excellent and served with a smile. The decor is delightful and stylish. We will be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Tapas place!AlexGDined on 6/21/2013Loved Barbunya, We got amazing personalized service. The wine and food recommendations were perfectly in tune with what we were looking for. Their wine list is fantastic! I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish tapas with a great touch.DingdangVIPDined on 6/20/2013Only open a month but everything seems to be running smoothly. The decor is delightful all are seated at one of several bars which make up the restaurant . The kitchen is open and well lit to see the delicacies being made. Edward and his team are all smiles and welcoming . The choice of tapas is great...from awesome braised artichokes, Grilled eggplant with melted ricotta cheese and their fried barbounya with pistachio and black olive tapenade. The house flat bread is served warm with fragrant olive oil and the mouhamara is mouthwatering. We enjoyed a cold bottle of Sancere rose to go with this feast. Delicious.Special Features: