250 Park Ave South
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbounia.com/
- Phone: (212) 995-0242
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:45pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Weekend Brunch: 10:00am - 3:45pm
HAPPY HOUR 7 Days from 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Barbounia is available for private and semi-private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Zarzecki 2129950242x
- Entertainment: DJ
A word from Barbounia
Barbounia: a boisterous reinvention of the Mediterranean’s vibrant cuisine and easy lifestyle. Named for the ubiquitous red mullet that swims the Mediterranean waters, Barbounia celebrates the region’s common heritage and bold cuisines through distinctive flavors, fresh ingredients and innovative design by the award winning Atlanta-based Johnson Studio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbounia reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (58)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (45)vibrant bar scene (44)great for brunch (43)hot spot (36)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (31)romantic (21)notable wine list (21)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lively, always steadyEdwardVIPDined on 11/5/2014I enjoy going to Barbounia for lunch. Their service is attentive and the food is delicious. I've also enjoyed going there for a drink. The bar is huge and is lively. Dinner at Barbounia is lovely. Lots of great things on the menu that are steeped in Mediterranean influences but are not complicated to understand. Lots of familiar things on the menu blended with the exotic.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Very good service, nice environment and excellent Mediterranean food. Would strongly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but place is noisyTGG1VIPDined on 10/30/2014Overall a very good experience: Great food and wine, although I had the feeling that the sommelier tried to up-sell the wine.Special Features:
- splitVIPDined on 10/28/2014Good place for a nice dinner with great ambiance. The food is solid. The Greek salad, the chopped salad, and the hummus are a must.Special Features:
- BarbouniaHertsUKDined on 10/24/2014Great food with interesting & varied choices in this very busy restaurant, good attentive service by knowledgable server, nothing too much trouble despite the buzzy busy atmosphere. Will return next time we are in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotBrunchobsessedDined on 10/19/2014I went here for brunch with some of my girl friends, and loved it! We got there early so we sat at the bar and began out bottomless champagne cocktails. It is busy, but not too loud. The service was very friendly and accommodating. I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Bustling lunch venue2chicksfromAmsterdamDined on 10/18/2014Went for lunch. Food was tasty, service very good and cocktail deal value for money. Great option if you're looking for something a little different for a change. Good to know: not a quiet and small place - quite vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely eveningIsrabarDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed our dinner. The Food was good, the ambiance was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PksrDined on 10/17/2014Great food great staff....thank you. Fun night with friends. Pan roasted chicken, chorizo,and broccoli rabe rich flavor, crisp on outside, moist in. Our group of 6 ate range of steak...branzino....even long narrow thin crust pizza served on board...everyone loved. Extra note......table across from us had all eyes turned their way as terracotta lamb kabob presented ....will try next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunch specialJpjpVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was great. Four of us tried different combinations of the lunch prix fixe. We all agreed it was a great price for the the quality and quantity of food. Straight from the oven bread was delightful. It was a great accompaniment for the Spicy Feta, Hummusa and eggplant spreads. Fafafel pita was great. Salad was well dressed and very fresh. The fries were perfectly crisped. Dessert was amazing. We all loved the presentation and taste of the pannacotta and silan. Great leisurely lunch choice... The service was a bit slow which was not ideal for those who are looking for a quick bit before returning to work. The staff was friendly but they should do something to pick up the pace so we can finish lunch within an hour.Special Features:
- Brunch Experiencehector787Dined on 10/12/2014Food was excellent and service was superb. Bottomless mimosas were the cherry on top.Special Features:
- Horrible Service - Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Having tried Barbounia for a second time in about a month, I thought that it would be better. We didn't see a waiter for the first 30 minutes of our seating, and then were slowly rushed throughout the evening to turn over the table. I usually go for the mezze plate instead of a main course and the food is always great, which is why I keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJaclynGDined on 10/11/2014Excellent service. The food was great. Everything came in a very timely fashion. And the "bottomless" part of the brunch is REALLY bottomless! I would go back again with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent charmershutterhoundDined on 10/8/2014Ths is a great spot for groups of friends; choose the bar or the large table near the windows; the desserts are greatSpecial Features:
- YackieohVIPDined on 10/7/2014Really enjoy the food and decor. Waaaay too loud so they need to figure out something for thatSpecial Features:
- lmiller1023Dined on 10/7/2014Delicious as always - love this place! Get the spicy feta mezze - you won't regret it!
- Great BrunchDavidDined on 10/5/2014One of the nicer entrée brunch scenes in Flatiron. It's got a younger vibe but they still do the classics very well. Warning: the portions are pretty large for the size zeros in the room. Bring reinforcements.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold hamburger bunsBurgerLoverDined on 10/2/2014Two people in my party ordered the barbounia burger but unfortunately the buns were cold, like they came out of the refrigerator. I couldn't eat it. Asked for them to comp the burgers(at least one!) but they comped an appetizer instead. :( I won't be returning.
- helpful, decent food, very noisyhannahthedogDined on 10/1/2014I had the spicy feta dip which was very good. It was 9pm mid-week and the place was packed and noisy despite the fact that it is a huge Park Av space with a vaulted ceiling. The waiting staff was great, seating us close to the outside where it was least noisy, and keeping us well fed unobtrusively despite how busy and awkwardly placed we were. The restaurant is a fabulous space perhaps best for loud parties at night or quieter airy lunches in the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlleyceehowaDined on 9/20/2014Food was delish .beautiful looking people.... Our table was not the best but everything else made up for it ... This is a must go !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I had brunch here several years ago and the food was excellent. This time I was very disappointed as the portions were extremely small. They served 1 slice of French toast on a huge plate which made the portion look even smaller and the fruit salad was in a tiny bowl with mostly apples when it is the season for all kinds of berries. I have now marked this off on my list of my list as there are too many places for brunch that have much better food and you get what you pay for. After they had cleaned the table the waitress came and gave us menus because she didn't realize she had just taken care of us and thought we just sat down.
- Food not equal to priceColleenpennDined on 8/31/2014The appetizers were generously portioned and enjoyable. We had the beet salad and octopus. Main courses were the issue. Somehow the chef managed to make bland, tasteless, tough short ribs and bland couscous. The scallops were nice. At this price I expected a wow instead we sent the meal back. Save your money. There are lots of nyc places to choose.
- Best grilled octopus ever!!!NewtoBocaVIPDined on 8/26/2014I've had grilled octopus in many, many restaurants, for it my favorite item when I dine out. By far, this restaurant makes it the best!!!!Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousCrispoDined on 8/25/2014Love to go here for lunch because they have such a nice variety of appetizers that are light and always so delicious and fresh. Love the grilled octopus and the shrimp in the black skillet. Great for sharing. Will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Way to noisy!AmelieDined on 8/24/2014The food is delicious but unfortunately the noise level is so high that you can barely appreciate your meal! The music is loud and people are not talking to each other they are screaming!
- alisVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was really good. A few things that soured our brunch. The tables are a bit small bc they put so many things on it its hard to fit the food. There was the flower pot, the sugar... They were not willing to make any exceptions which is a bit unfortunate. Not the biggest deal but a lot of their eggs have meat and I asked for vegetable swap and the waiter said that they would not do it during brunch. he did not even ask. the worst part was the service. they forgot our app all together and then flaked on the responsibility and then we said we still wanted it and brought something we didn't ask for and didn't bring what we wanted. the absolute worst part was that when they finally brought a version of it they charged us for it!Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceCarRabDined on 8/22/2014I ate at Barbounia on Friday night and got there fairly early so there weren't many customers there yet (around 6:30). I sat for 20 minutes before flagging down someone to give me water. After another 20 more minutes, I had to flag down a waiter. The service was poor, they never asked if we wanted another glass of wine or brought our main entrée. After waiting for quite a while for anyone to come over to us, we flagged a waiter down again and told him our food never came and we wanted the check. He didn't even apologize. The manager came over and apologized but it meant nothing after spending money for a meal/dining experience that we did not enjoy.Special Features:
- Solid food but perhaps too loudELNMDined on 8/21/2014Dined with a friend on a Thursday night and was overwhelmed by the noise level. The music and subsequent need for diners to shout made conversation really difficult. Solid food. Warm bread to start and generous portions of the octopus puttanesca pasta. Skipped dessert as it was quite limited to dairy/ creamy items. Attentive service all through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very HAPPY hourandreasiVIPDined on 8/19/2014Best Happy Hour deal in Flatiron - extensive and delicious $6 drinks till 7pm. Accompanied by the cheese plate and hummus and dips/breads, it's a homerun. Love their lunch salads too.Special Features:
- Very good but too expensiveYvetteDined on 8/16/2014Good quality food. Menu was different than most. Good ambience. Overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SUNRAESDined on 8/15/2014The desserts left me in a food coma of happiness. So during restaurant week this place exceeded it already great reputation. Unlike other restaurants whereby the menu deteriorates, this definitely deserves a standing ovation. Sublime! The squid salad, and watermelon feta....its a winner!Special Features:
- Annoying Waiter, But Great FoodAngieQVIPDined on 8/13/2014We dined during restaurant week and I was very impressed with the menu choices! The food was beautifully presented and very delicious. One of the waiters-not our main, kept coming by every couple minutes to fill water or try to take or drinks away, though it was obvious that we weren't finished. I am not sure what the problem was, but I had to ask him if he needed us to leave. He slowed down after that. I must add that it was already almost 10pm and there were empty tables so I don't know why he was so anxious. Perhaps he didn't have enough tables to serve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Expensive night out for very mediocre food and service. Ambiance and wine list were good, everything else left a lot to be desired. Main course (black sea bass) was inedible. Plenty of other god options in the area, was sorry I wasted it on this place.
- 2 times outa 3 can't be badLacetasteDined on 8/8/2014I've been here twice before and experienced great food and overall service although the plates aren't large for the price. The issue I had this last time was a one off since we did the restaurant week menu tasting. Terrible. Cheapest things on the menu and when I didn't eat the server asked if ok after the 3rd time of pretending not to notice and I said it was not really good. He said oh I'm sorry and walked away. Thankfully the bus boy had some table side manners and asked me what else I would like. Entire restaurant meal was terrible but everything else on menu is good so beware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRandiVIPDined on 8/8/2014Pleasantly surprised. Great bread, great spreads, great desserts. I ordered salmon which was delish. We all cleaned our plates. Won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpecialPPluvsfoodDined on 8/7/2014Tried Barbounia during restaurant week. Great menu for a snack or full meal. Grilled Calamari salad was fresh and delicious. Calamari was perfectly grilled an tender. Salmon entree was perfectly cooked and presentation was photo-worthy. Pannacotta was also very beautiful however flavor of rose water was a bit overpowering. Great place for a light, healthy meal in a cool location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodAPChefVIPDined on 8/3/2014Came here for brunch. Loud, crowded, food was really bland and underwhelming. Service was indifferent. We ordered unlimited brunch drinks, but couldn't stand being in there long enough to take advantage.
- Horrible ServiceFoodie52VIPDined on 8/3/2014Would give zero stars if Open Table allowed. Had 10:00 am reservations on Sunday, 3 August. We will the first to arrive. We were the only people in the restaurant and at 10:30 am walked out due to no service. Whole staff was eating breakfast and ignored us. I managed to get a cup of coffee and they charged me for it. Hostess took my $5.00, for a $2.71 charge for the coffee, but couldn't find anyone who had change. Should have been free coffee. No apologies for the hostess, or manager, or any of the the wait staff who were too busy eating their breakfast. If they don't serve at 10:00 am, then they should not accept 10:00 am reservations on Open Table. Will never go again. Menu didn't look that great anyway.
- Food was Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is so delicious that I cannot wait to revisit...
- Generally Very GoodHartsdaleDined on 8/1/2014With the exception of one entree, the Restaurant Week meal was excellent. One entree,