250 Park Ave South
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbounia.com/
- Phone: 2129950242x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:45pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Weekend Brunch: 10:00am - 3:45pm
HAPPY HOUR 7 Days from 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Barbounia is available for private and semi-private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Zarzecki 2129950242x
- Entertainment: DJ
A word from Barbounia
Barbounia: a boisterous reinvention of the Mediterranean’s vibrant cuisine and easy lifestyle. Named for the ubiquitous red mullet that swims the Mediterranean waters, Barbounia celebrates the region’s common heritage and bold cuisines through distinctive flavors, fresh ingredients and innovative design by the award winning Atlanta-based Johnson Studio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbounia reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (60)fit for foodies (58)great for brunch (54)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (46)great for lunch (46)vibrant bar scene (45)hot spot (39)notable wine list (31)romantic (28)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Way to noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food is delicious but unfortunately the noise level is so high that you can barely appreciate your meal! The music is loud and people are not talking to each other they are screaming!
- alisVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was really good. A few things that soured our brunch. The tables are a bit small bc they put so many things on it its hard to fit the food. There was the flower pot, the sugar... They were not willing to make any exceptions which is a bit unfortunate. Not the biggest deal but a lot of their eggs have meat and I asked for vegetable swap and the waiter said that they would not do it during brunch. he did not even ask. the worst part was the service. they forgot our app all together and then flaked on the responsibility and then we said we still wanted it and brought something we didn't ask for and didn't bring what we wanted. the absolute worst part was that when they finally brought a version of it they charged us for it!Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceCarRabDined on 8/22/2014I ate at Barbounia on Friday night and got there fairly early so there weren't many customers there yet (around 6:30). I sat for 20 minutes before flagging down someone to give me water. After another 20 more minutes, I had to flag down a waiter. The service was poor, they never asked if we wanted another glass of wine or brought our main entrée. After waiting for quite a while for anyone to come over to us, we flagged a waiter down again and told him our food never came and we wanted the check. He didn't even apologize. The manager came over and apologized but it meant nothing after spending money for a meal/dining experience that we did not enjoy.Special Features:
- Solid food but perhaps too loudELNMDined on 8/21/2014Dined with a friend on a Thursday night and was overwhelmed by the noise level. The music and subsequent need for diners to shout made conversation really difficult. Solid food. Warm bread to start and generous portions of the octopus puttanesca pasta. Skipped dessert as it was quite limited to dairy/ creamy items. Attentive service all through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very HAPPY hourandreasiVIPDined on 8/19/2014Best Happy Hour deal in Flatiron - extensive and delicious $6 drinks till 7pm. Accompanied by the cheese plate and hummus and dips/breads, it's a homerun. Love their lunch salads too.Special Features:
- Very good but too expensiveYvetteDined on 8/16/2014Good quality food. Menu was different than most. Good ambience. Overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The desserts left me in a food coma of happiness. So during restaurant week this place exceeded it already great reputation. Unlike other restaurants whereby the menu deteriorates, this definitely deserves a standing ovation. Sublime! The squid salad, and watermelon feta....its a winner!Special Features:
- Annoying Waiter, But Great FoodAngieQVIPDined on 8/13/2014We dined during restaurant week and I was very impressed with the menu choices! The food was beautifully presented and very delicious. One of the waiters-not our main, kept coming by every couple minutes to fill water or try to take or drinks away, though it was obvious that we weren't finished. I am not sure what the problem was, but I had to ask him if he needed us to leave. He slowed down after that. I must add that it was already almost 10pm and there were empty tables so I don't know why he was so anxious. Perhaps he didn't have enough tables to serve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Expensive night out for very mediocre food and service. Ambiance and wine list were good, everything else left a lot to be desired. Main course (black sea bass) was inedible. Plenty of other god options in the area, was sorry I wasted it on this place.
- 2 times outa 3 can't be badLacetasteDined on 8/8/2014I've been here twice before and experienced great food and overall service although the plates aren't large for the price. The issue I had this last time was a one off since we did the restaurant week menu tasting. Terrible. Cheapest things on the menu and when I didn't eat the server asked if ok after the 3rd time of pretending not to notice and I said it was not really good. He said oh I'm sorry and walked away. Thankfully the bus boy had some table side manners and asked me what else I would like. Entire restaurant meal was terrible but everything else on menu is good so beware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRandiVIPDined on 8/8/2014Pleasantly surprised. Great bread, great spreads, great desserts. I ordered salmon which was delish. We all cleaned our plates. Won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpecialPPluvsfoodDined on 8/7/2014Tried Barbounia during restaurant week. Great menu for a snack or full meal. Grilled Calamari salad was fresh and delicious. Calamari was perfectly grilled an tender. Salmon entree was perfectly cooked and presentation was photo-worthy. Pannacotta was also very beautiful however flavor of rose water was a bit overpowering. Great place for a light, healthy meal in a cool location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodAPChefVIPDined on 8/3/2014Came here for brunch. Loud, crowded, food was really bland and underwhelming. Service was indifferent. We ordered unlimited brunch drinks, but couldn't stand being in there long enough to take advantage.
- Horrible ServiceFoodie52VIPDined on 8/3/2014Would give zero stars if Open Table allowed. Had 10:00 am reservations on Sunday, 3 August. We will the first to arrive. We were the only people in the restaurant and at 10:30 am walked out due to no service. Whole staff was eating breakfast and ignored us. I managed to get a cup of coffee and they charged me for it. Hostess took my $5.00, for a $2.71 charge for the coffee, but couldn't find anyone who had change. Should have been free coffee. No apologies for the hostess, or manager, or any of the the wait staff who were too busy eating their breakfast. If they don't serve at 10:00 am, then they should not accept 10:00 am reservations on Open Table. Will never go again. Menu didn't look that great anyway.
- Food was Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is so delicious that I cannot wait to revisit...
- Generally Very GoodHartsdaleDined on 8/1/2014With the exception of one entree, the Restaurant Week meal was excellent. One entree,
- CarolinaDined on 8/1/2014Recommended to me by a collegue, I was told the food was really good. When we went how pleasantly surprised to find a very lively, lovely & ecletic place right in the heart of Park Ave South!The bar was jumping and the music brought back pleasant memoriesof my travels to Turkey and the Middle East. The food was divine. The wild mushroom pizza was so delicious I could have closed my eyes and thorught I was dining in Little Italy or brooklyn. The pizza was insane! The watermelon salad was a wonderful surprise. None of my party ever experienced such a salad before. I would go back in a heartbeat and order the same thing again. And the Silan. Forgettabout it! Just indulge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but...larklavanDined on 7/31/2014Maybe it was just because of Restaurant Week, but the waiter rushed us through the meal, as if he wanted optimum turnover at the table. Understandable, since they probably had extra reservations and more dough coming in, but still annoying.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014We were a party of 8 from an office at Baruch College. The occasion was the birthday and retirement of one of our colleagues. There had been plenty of time between the arrival of our party and our ordering lunch for the server to have put in an order for bread and olives for the table. Tables seated after us got bread and mezze; we received nothing. I asked the busboy to please bring bread. Nothing. I asked the server when our bread was coming. The reply I received was that he had just put in an order for bread and it should be coming right out. As our appetizers arrived and there was still no bread, I called over the hostess who asked what we ordered. Ordered? It's bread for the table! Basic. No apology was issued or accommodation made.
- My Second time @ BarbouniaalexDined on 7/30/2014I love the food in this place! The appetizers are a must - spicy feta!!, humus! and the eggplant are fabulous!Special Features:
- Restaurant week findbdurnwaldDined on 7/28/2014My friend suggested Barbounia during restaurant week. IT was a great experience on all fronts. The service was warm, friendly and attentive. Each dish was unique and delicious.Special Features:
- Great experience and foodfirsttimerDined on 7/26/2014The food was terrific and servers were very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good cocktailsDineoutDined on 7/25/2014The drinks were great but the food was nothing special. I got the sea bass and it was breaded and tasted spongy. Vibrant atmosphere. Next time I'll just go for drinksSpecial Features:
- Great Spotmls515Dined on 7/23/2014Barbounia has delicious drinks, seafood, and a great assortment of small plates to share and the best ambience in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid experienceJayjayDined on 7/22/2014I've been to Barbounia before and I love the decor and the food—in my most recent visit, it once again did not fail to meet expectations.Special Features:
- Love2eatoutVIPDined on 7/22/2014Very good Mediterranean food. Nice selection of small plates and salads.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseFrequentdinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have worked in this neighborhood for 25 years and never tried this restaurant. great lunch, high energy. Will make this a regular spot to dine.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingshapgoDined on 7/21/2014Although the ambianca was nice and the service was fine, the food was not exceptional. It was overseasoned and the sauces were too strong when they needed to complement the spicy dishes. The Restaurant Week menu was not worth it and you are better off ordering off the main menu.
- friendly and delicious food!Luv2eatDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant started off rocky for me but has continued to improve with every visit. I have been here six times and although the menu was always good, the service was not. I am happy to say that the service is so good now I can't believe it is the same staff! Very nice and pleasant, just way too loud for a conversation, especially at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingperfectDined on 7/19/2014I was on a first date that COULDN'T have been better. Everything was perfect. Food, drinks, wine, service, ambiance all amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Shoegal21Dined on 7/18/2014Great mix of different mediterranean foods... you have Greek, Turkish, Indian and more. Their bread is amazing!! Appetizers: the shrimp is delicious and has such a great spice to it, the cigars are good too (fried) and the octupus was good. The lamb & scallops were great! Nice ambience & serviceSpecial Features:
- delicious as alwaysNancyG1Dined on 7/9/2014great easy place for a leisurely lunch to catch up with friends. can eat a delicious light lunch of lots of appetizersSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantSpankyDined on 6/29/2014Food, wine and service was fabulous. We enjoyed ourselves. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent breakfast!isabella22Dined on 6/22/2014the side order of turkey bacon was our biggest surprise. Dont miss out the pancakes, they are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant, solid foodeggplantandtrufflesDined on 6/19/2014Great for a group. We shared the five dips (served with amazing bread) and a bunch of small plates. Cocktails were delicious but outrageously overpriced (food too), but that's pretty standard for this neighborhood. A bit of a scene as well (also to be expected from this neighborhood). Would recommend for a fun night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely AND great serviceEmilyzhDined on 6/15/2014Trendy NYC restaurants so often have snobby service. How refreshing at Barbounnia! It's a pretty place with high ceilings, and a clean, open feeling. Food was fresh, and different - lamb kebobs came baked under the pita, tangine style, keeping them delightfully spicy and moist. The octopus appy was crisp and popping. Oven baked chicken had a very crisp skin. The Greek style cheesecake was a ricotta/mozzeralla mix, baked in a thin sandwich of phyllo pastry covered in rose water and pistachios with ice cream - exceptionall. But the service was really what separates Barbounnia from others. It was Father's Day, we were with our own (messy) dad, and there were others with wheelchairs, or walkers, and they were so kind and attentive. TSpecial Features:
- My flute runneth over!MatteoDined on 6/14/2014Great spot for what I like to think of as the quintessential NYC boozy brunch. Actually, Barbounia takes it up a notch and does it a little classier than many of the other typical spots. I actually like the champagne they use and the staff all have heavy generous, flexible wrists. Recently celebrated a birthday brunch here and it was a great time. Cant go wrong with the croque madame, calamari, or burger.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/12/2014Went for lunch. Found the portions to be amazingly small--not talking a lunch special---we ordered entrees. The octopus was subpar with a nasty odor. Wine pours were small as well. Ambiance was great, nice energy. But if the food doesn't rate, Im never coming back
- DeliciousEmily91Dined on 6/5/2014We came here for our anniversary and weren't disappointed! It's definitely a louder, more lively place, but it's a great vibe, the food is delicious, and the service was excellent. I've been before and would definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A repeat offender...Me.DhamkDined on 6/4/2014I keep on coming back for Lamb Terracotta and Iron skillet shrimp. Love the restrooms in this place (Unisex), very Mediterranean feel to it. I wish they didn't change the presentation of their signature dessert called Selan. Instead of a plate it now comes in a whiskey glass, takes away all the joy from the dessert. A bit noisy but worth it.Special Features: