1600 West Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbette.com/
- Phone: (612) 827-5710
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1030pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Sarah Master
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant manager if you'd like Barbette to cater your next event!
- Entertainment: Barbette features late night music every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday night, starting at 10pm. Click HERE.
for our music calendar!
- Cross Street: Irving Ave
- Public Transit: Our intersection (Lake & Irving) is served by the 12, 17, and 114 bus lines. In addition, the Uptown Transit Station is located just 5 blocks away, servicing the following bus lines as well: 6, 21, 23, 53, 115.
There is also a Nice Ride MN bike station located at Lake & Humbolt, just 2 blocks from Barbette!
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available behind the restaurant, with the parking lot entrance on Irving. If the lot is full, there is street parking available.
A word from Barbette
Named "Best French Restaurant, populist vote" by Mpls St. Paul Magazine (CLICK HERE to see our menus), Barbette has also received "best of's" from local press for its late night dining, desserts, wine list, date spot, music, and, of course, those French fries that accompany the steak frites. We use local and organic ingredients as often as possible, presenting beautiful food in a casual, eclectic, bistro atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbette reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (38)romantic (36)late-night find (26)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (22)great for lunch (15)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- One of my concierge favorites!VIPsDined on 11/15/2014As a downtown minneapolis hotel concierge - barbette is certasinly one of my top 10!Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I had a very nice time.KenthebuilderDined on 11/14/2014Went there for an anniversary with my girlfriend. Waitress was quick and attentive, had good suggestions and found a wine my girlfriend liked. She let us try two before we ordered. She also had great silent service which I appreciate... I don't need to know every time a server does something for me and she was fantastic. Food looked absolutely gorgeous and tasted just as good as it looked. I thought the music was pretty loud, but that's just a preference thing, and it would certainly not keep me from going there again. Also, espresso creme brulee? Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerCRFoodieDined on 11/9/2014The chicken was perfectly cooked--crispy skin and juicy meat. A Carrot-Ginger soup was nicely gingery. Another guest described her lamb as very good. It would be nice to have more bread offered. The beignets were excellent-light and airy., They were out of chocolate sauce that night, but the caramel sauce that replaced it was good. We had four guests at our table, and the server made sure we got four beignets when we said we would share.Special Features:
- deliciousalisagDined on 11/9/2014We have been to Barbette a couple times - it's in the price range for only special occasions for us. But we love everything about the place!Special Features:
- Barbette, THE place to do business.ClinicalStudiesEuropeDined on 11/4/2014Hi - I bounce between Minneapolis and southwest Germany, where I work for CERES GmbH evaluation & research, selling European clinical studies for medical devices, and literature-based clinical evaluations that achieve CE approval for medical devices. In Minneapolis, I don't have an office outside my home. So, I've used Barbette as my "office" in which to conduct business meetings, with one or two other people at once, at 10 am for "coffee," or 11:30 am for lunch, in December, 2013; in April, 2014; and now, in October, 2014. The food is great, and the staff is understanding. Both myself and those that I have met at Barbette always have a positive opinion about our experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love BarbettelouiseinMSPVIPDined on 11/2/2014I have been here late at night, Sunday afternoon, winter or summer (outdoors of course) and the food is always delicious, beautifully presented and with great service. This is my go-to place!Special Features:
- Felt like I was back in FrancealsterDined on 11/1/2014Barbette truly brought me back to being in France. The vibe, the food, the décor, everything reminded me of being in France. Service was wonderful, food was delicious.Special Features:
- We want to talk as well as eatletseat2Dined on 10/31/2014Lively, friendly, good food. But it was so noisy that we could not carry on a conversation. Maybe our mistake was going on a weekend. Maybe it is not a place for seniors who consider that a good dining experience includes the opportunity for good conversation. Tables very close together.Special Features:
- YummySusanDined on 10/24/2014We went for restaurant week and found the portions to be small (quail is not a big bird) but tasty. Lots of activity with tables close to each other, so not ideal for a romantic dinner. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- will not be backfattyDined on 10/23/2014We dined here during restaurant week. We had a last minute change to our reservation. Upon arrival we were seated in a cramped corner to accommodate our additional diner. We ordered both off the restaurant week set dinner and the regular menu. The butternut soup was watered down with no flavor. I can do it better without ever trying. The main course was pretty good. Dessert was nothing special. Overall 1 for 3 in our book means we will not be returning. Service was fair, my glass of water ran dry a few times and we had to ask for extra bread for our table. Restaurant week is an opportunity for a restaurant to put your best foot forward and show new diners what they have. With that said we gave them a chance and will not be returning.
- EnjoyableCo5000Dined on 10/23/2014Really had a good experience. The food was excellent and the service was attentive and professional. Loved the lively atmosphere (acoustically a loud place), and would definitely go again. Great for a night out. Took my 70-something parents there and they had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent QualityLOVEtheMusselsDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our dinner during restaurant week. We have dined there many times before and always enjoy the energy of this place. Although we did not have them this time, our favorite there is the Mussels. They also always have a good beer and wine selection available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time was a...disasterStevenEDined on 10/21/2014On this, my third time back, I was enormously disappointed. A server with zero personality or warmth, cold appetizers and severely undercooked lamb...have they lost focus? I'll have to determine whether I'll give them another chance, or just move on...after sending $200 down the drain.
- excellent!beatsDined on 10/18/2014Excellent service, great food, great wine. The marlin was awesome!Special Features:
- Special OcassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014We decided to splurge on this restaurant for our 25th wedding anniversary and it was perfect. The champagne was delicious and reasonably priced and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- A Minneapolis MustJoshDined on 10/9/2014Don't let the French name intimidate, this place is welcoming to all. The Nicoise salad with smoken salmon was delicious and worth the trip alone.Special Features:
- Less is More!xpditeVIPDined on 10/3/2014At first glance the menu seemed a bit limited. However, once we made our selections, (shrimp risotto, ham and cheese crepe with pom frites) the food was outstanding. In a day when most restaurants give you a 4 page menu, it's nice to find a place that offers fewer items but does them very, very well. Merci'Special Features:
- Great food... once it finally cameMissLadyMacDined on 9/28/2014I went to barbette on a Sunday afternoon with a friend of mine. Had reservations for 1pm and we were greeted and seated right away.We opted for outdoor. The menu was fairly versatile, considering I don't eat pork there was a number of other options. I opted for French toast and hash browns while my friend had croque misour. The food was delicious! Best French toast I've ever had! Our server was nice and friendly as well. The only downfall with my time there ....the food took 45+ minutes to arrive. I get it was peak brunch hours but had our server at least given us updates here and there to ease our minds it would've been better. Nonetheless it was great food and great weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place but...briMPLS8Dined on 9/26/2014sometimes the service and food don't live to how much I dig this restaurant. I've been patronizing this place for a decade. I love the ambiance. The light levels are always perfect. The food is usually pretty good. This time it took over an hour to get our food. The server was gracious enough to take a round of drinks off the tab - and I was in the best company - but we were p r e t t y hungry by the time our food arrived. We weren't a big party (5) but I think that gummed up the kitchen or something. Whatever. Still love the place. Don't eat here if you're in a hurry, don't like loud busy restaurants or want a large variety on the dinner menu. But - you'll like this place if your chill and like hanging out for a bit.Special Features:
- More hype than deliveryFoodieLoverDined on 9/26/2014Barbette has a reputation for providing excellent food, but I find it often falls a bit short. The mussels had tons of rocks in them, the corn risotto was cloyingly sweet, and the portion size for the $27 lamb dish was quite small (two small chops on a bed of salad greens). I'll keep going to Barbette, but it will be for the wine and frites, not for the overpriced and mediocre food.Special Features:
- Still a favoriteSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 9/15/2014We go to Barbette a lot for afternoon/evening drinks and dinner, but my friend had never been for breakfast so I took her there. I had a hash that was outstanding - vegetables sliced thin in a delicious broth, topped with two basted eggs. My friend had granola with yogurt and fresh fruit. I've had their waffles and eggs with potatoes before, too. Always delicous and prepared well, and in an atmosphere that's comfortable and hip. Love Barbette.Special Features:
- Predictable50somethingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Barbette 's food is always delicious. The atmosphere is upscale casual with a slight hum of good conversation. Servers are knowledgable, always close by when something is needed. Love, love Barbette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findfoodiegirlDined on 9/9/2014This is a charming little bistro. My steak salad was excellent, just what I needed before heading off to the airport.Special Features:
- sportzVIPDined on 9/8/2014Ordered the 2 pound mussel and large fries. Mussel were very disappointing. Large sheels and small mussels. Fries were great. Service good.
- Yummy but too noisyJaneyloohfaDined on 9/5/2014The food at Barbette was outstanding, and the service was fabulous. But, it was SO noisy that we could hardly hear each other converse. The music was way too loud. It had a sort of "chaotic" atmosphere, I'm supposing this may be mainly due to the music (and loud conversations, as a result), but also because of the colorful and fun, but over the top, mixed, retro decor. The mosaics on the pillars are chipped and shabby which distracted me.Special Features:
- Happy hour!DebHVIPDined on 8/29/2014We arrived while Happy Hour was still going on, so were able to have the mussels and the pate at an incredibly reasonable price. Good choices of wines. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef SaraJUdyKDined on 8/28/2014She presents an awesome menu of interesting and delicious dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening for dining outsidechitowngirlDined on 8/27/2014It was a lovely setting for an outdoor dinner with friends. At times the traffic was distracting, but should be expected when sitting outdoors along the street. The fish of the day was wonderful and light, however I was not as impressed with the charcuterie plate and would not order it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyElishaEatsDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had dinner at Barbette Saturday night in Uptown and enjoyed it. The decor is definitely bohemian, we enjoyed the steak frittes (both flat iron and NY with the au poivre crust), the red wines we sampled as well as the abundant portion of warm olives and the pate beforehand. It can become quite loud and if you're over 40 it's tough to see the menu and bill at night with how low the lights were. All in all a very nice experience though and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChristieDined on 8/22/2014The staff are swift and helpful, the ambience is nice. The food was disappointing. The Salmon Nicoise was a mountain of lettuce hiding one piece of potato, five green beans and a whole hard boiled egg, no anchovies or salmon. The salmon arrived a few minutes later on a separate plate. Not a Niçoise salad. The fondue was salty and arrived with a peculiar assortment of vegetables clumsily cut and not in bite size chunks. The vegetable side dish of the day was greasy, strangely presented and basically unappetizing. Our waitresses commiserated with me on the nicoise but made no attempt to get the manager. She offered complimentary dessert but by that time our dinner was ruined.
- Excellent dinner for twopietroDined on 8/18/2014We both had the rack of lamb. Our wine was an Austrian red, Zweigeit. For desert, my wife had the tartlet, I, the cheese plate. Everything was excellent.
- BeautifulmjlaurentDined on 8/17/2014Absolutely perfect. The atmosphere. The food. The service. Everything about this place is simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French settingCrossyoukiDined on 8/16/2014Customer service was phenomenon! Love the outdoor setting with colorful tables. Didn't get the chance to enjoy the night scene but believe it would be great! Only wished that it had a more French feel to it and some French speaking workers as my wife is French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little TiredJohnVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have always been a fan of Barbette. The atmosphere is bohemian ecclectic meets classic bistro, the service has always been friendly and professional, and the food unpretentious. And, I am a big fan of Chef Sarah. That said, this visit found Barbette lacking. The service was clumsier than usual. The cocktails lacked the finesse that you find in many Twin Cities restaurants (such as Bachelor Farmer, Haute Dish, Union), and which you expect to get for $10 and $11 cocktails. And the food, while technically ok, seemed to lack passion. Aside from the outstanding rillettes and mortadella on the charcuterie plate, nothing was memorable. Too many broken little frites and mussels broth completely lacking the garlic and herb flavor I'm used to.Special Features:
- Perfect for brunchAudyGodwechDined on 8/16/2014The food is delicious! From the truffled scrambled eggs to the waffle, can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice. Parking not too badBarbie50Dined on 8/15/2014My biggest concern, when my friend wanted to meet at Barbette, was the parking. As it turned out, it was not a problem. Both of us found on street parking within a block of the restaurant. Employees greeted me promptly and with a smile. Server was very good. I had the French toast with fruit compote. "Fruit compote" seemed to be limited to blueberries. The French toast was a diagonally siced bagette-i-artfully presented and tasty. There were several vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014We had to wait awhile for the host to acknowledge and seat us, but the food and wait staff was superb, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Food, Casual SettingRichDined on 8/7/2014Food was excellent, simple French inspired dishes with local ingredients and much attention paid to the details. Atmosphere much more casual that similar French restaurants in the metro area but with prices similar to more upscale establishments. If I were going to spend nearly $100 for two with drinks i would prefer a more formal setting but if you want good food and are willing to pay the premium it's worth a try.Special Features:
- great food poor wait staff...NeajDined on 8/4/2014I love Barbettes & have gone there late night a few times. It is quirky & fun. This time however I was there with my book club & our gal wait staff wasn't very nice. She argued about whether or not the mussles were curry--even though we could taste the curry (we'd asked for wine, butter & garlic mussles) one is spicy the other sweet--we could tell the difference. We told her we wanted seperate checks up front but she put the bill all together because two of us shared the mussles. I just hope she settles into a nice friendly person who realizes customers know what they like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Lunchbeka118Dined on 8/2/2014The bloody's were great and dining outside was extremely enjoyable. I have to admit, the food was good, but not spectacular. Our service was awesome though, and I'd go back again.Special Features:
- The following 337 reviews are from the Barbette reviews archive.