1600 West Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbette.com/
- Phone: 6128275710
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1030pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Sarah Master
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant manager if you'd like Barbette to cater your next event!
- Entertainment: Barbette features late night music every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday night, starting at 10pm. Click HERE.
for our music calendar!
- Cross Street: Irving Ave
- Public Transit: Our intersection (Lake & Irving) is served by the 12, 17, and 114 bus lines. In addition, the Uptown Transit Station is located just 5 blocks away, servicing the following bus lines as well: 6, 21, 23, 53, 115.
There is also a Nice Ride MN bike station located at Lake & Humbolt, just 2 blocks from Barbette!
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available behind the restaurant, with the parking lot entrance on Irving. If the lot is full, there is street parking available.
A word from Barbette
Named "Best French Restaurant, populist vote" by Mpls St. Paul Magazine (CLICK HERE to see our menus), Barbette has also received "best of's" from local press for its late night dining, desserts, wine list, date spot, music, and, of course, those French fries that accompany the steak frites. We use local and organic ingredients as often as possible, presenting beautiful food in a casual, eclectic, bistro atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Barbette - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Barbette reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (62)romantic (33)great for brunch (31)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (23)late-night find (23)hot spot (14)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Third time was a...disasterStevenEDined on 10/21/2014On this, my third time back, I was enormously disappointed. A server with zero personality or warmth, cold appetizers and severely undercooked lamb...have they lost focus? I'll have to determine whether I'll give them another chance, or just move on...after sending $200 down the drain.
- excellent!beatsDined on 10/18/2014Excellent service, great food, great wine. The marlin was awesome!Special Features:
- Special OcassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014We decided to splurge on this restaurant for our 25th wedding anniversary and it was perfect. The champagne was delicious and reasonably priced and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- A Minneapolis MustJoshDined on 10/9/2014Don't let the French name intimidate, this place is welcoming to all. The Nicoise salad with smoken salmon was delicious and worth the trip alone.Special Features:
- Less is More!xpditeVIPDined on 10/3/2014At first glance the menu seemed a bit limited. However, once we made our selections, (shrimp risotto, ham and cheese crepe with pom frites) the food was outstanding. In a day when most restaurants give you a 4 page menu, it's nice to find a place that offers fewer items but does them very, very well. Merci'Special Features:
- Great food... once it finally cameMissLadyMacDined on 9/28/2014I went to barbette on a Sunday afternoon with a friend of mine. Had reservations for 1pm and we were greeted and seated right away.We opted for outdoor. The menu was fairly versatile, considering I don't eat pork there was a number of other options. I opted for French toast and hash browns while my friend had croque misour. The food was delicious! Best French toast I've ever had! Our server was nice and friendly as well. The only downfall with my time there ....the food took 45+ minutes to arrive. I get it was peak brunch hours but had our server at least given us updates here and there to ease our minds it would've been better. Nonetheless it was great food and great weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place but...briMPLS8Dined on 9/26/2014sometimes the service and food don't live to how much I dig this restaurant. I've been patronizing this place for a decade. I love the ambiance. The light levels are always perfect. The food is usually pretty good. This time it took over an hour to get our food. The server was gracious enough to take a round of drinks off the tab - and I was in the best company - but we were p r e t t y hungry by the time our food arrived. We weren't a big party (5) but I think that gummed up the kitchen or something. Whatever. Still love the place. Don't eat here if you're in a hurry, don't like loud busy restaurants or want a large variety on the dinner menu. But - you'll like this place if your chill and like hanging out for a bit.Special Features:
- More hype than deliveryFoodieLoverDined on 9/26/2014Barbette has a reputation for providing excellent food, but I find it often falls a bit short. The mussels had tons of rocks in them, the corn risotto was cloyingly sweet, and the portion size for the $27 lamb dish was quite small (two small chops on a bed of salad greens). I'll keep going to Barbette, but it will be for the wine and frites, not for the overpriced and mediocre food.Special Features:
- Still a favoriteSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 9/15/2014We go to Barbette a lot for afternoon/evening drinks and dinner, but my friend had never been for breakfast so I took her there. I had a hash that was outstanding - vegetables sliced thin in a delicious broth, topped with two basted eggs. My friend had granola with yogurt and fresh fruit. I've had their waffles and eggs with potatoes before, too. Always delicous and prepared well, and in an atmosphere that's comfortable and hip. Love Barbette.Special Features:
- Predictable50somethingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Barbette 's food is always delicious. The atmosphere is upscale casual with a slight hum of good conversation. Servers are knowledgable, always close by when something is needed. Love, love Barbette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findfoodiegirlDined on 9/9/2014This is a charming little bistro. My steak salad was excellent, just what I needed before heading off to the airport.Special Features:
- sportzVIPDined on 9/8/2014Ordered the 2 pound mussel and large fries. Mussel were very disappointing. Large sheels and small mussels. Fries were great. Service good.
- Yummy but too noisyJaneyloohfaDined on 9/5/2014The food at Barbette was outstanding, and the service was fabulous. But, it was SO noisy that we could hardly hear each other converse. The music was way too loud. It had a sort of "chaotic" atmosphere, I'm supposing this may be mainly due to the music (and loud conversations, as a result), but also because of the colorful and fun, but over the top, mixed, retro decor. The mosaics on the pillars are chipped and shabby which distracted me.Special Features:
- Happy hour!DebHVIPDined on 8/29/2014We arrived while Happy Hour was still going on, so were able to have the mussels and the pate at an incredibly reasonable price. Good choices of wines. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef SaraJUdyKDined on 8/28/2014She presents an awesome menu of interesting and delicious dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening for dining outsidechitowngirlDined on 8/27/2014It was a lovely setting for an outdoor dinner with friends. At times the traffic was distracting, but should be expected when sitting outdoors along the street. The fish of the day was wonderful and light, however I was not as impressed with the charcuterie plate and would not order it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had dinner at Barbette Saturday night in Uptown and enjoyed it. The decor is definitely bohemian, we enjoyed the steak frittes (both flat iron and NY with the au poivre crust), the red wines we sampled as well as the abundant portion of warm olives and the pate beforehand. It can become quite loud and if you're over 40 it's tough to see the menu and bill at night with how low the lights were. All in all a very nice experience though and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChristieDined on 8/22/2014The staff are swift and helpful, the ambience is nice. The food was disappointing. The Salmon Nicoise was a mountain of lettuce hiding one piece of potato, five green beans and a whole hard boiled egg, no anchovies or salmon. The salmon arrived a few minutes later on a separate plate. Not a Niçoise salad. The fondue was salty and arrived with a peculiar assortment of vegetables clumsily cut and not in bite size chunks. The vegetable side dish of the day was greasy, strangely presented and basically unappetizing. Our waitresses commiserated with me on the nicoise but made no attempt to get the manager. She offered complimentary dessert but by that time our dinner was ruined.
- Excellent dinner for twopietroDined on 8/18/2014We both had the rack of lamb. Our wine was an Austrian red, Zweigeit. For desert, my wife had the tartlet, I, the cheese plate. Everything was excellent.
- BeautifulmjlaurentDined on 8/17/2014Absolutely perfect. The atmosphere. The food. The service. Everything about this place is simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French settingCrossyoukiDined on 8/16/2014Customer service was phenomenon! Love the outdoor setting with colorful tables. Didn't get the chance to enjoy the night scene but believe it would be great! Only wished that it had a more French feel to it and some French speaking workers as my wife is French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little TiredJohnVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have always been a fan of Barbette. The atmosphere is bohemian ecclectic meets classic bistro, the service has always been friendly and professional, and the food unpretentious. And, I am a big fan of Chef Sarah. That said, this visit found Barbette lacking. The service was clumsier than usual. The cocktails lacked the finesse that you find in many Twin Cities restaurants (such as Bachelor Farmer, Haute Dish, Union), and which you expect to get for $10 and $11 cocktails. And the food, while technically ok, seemed to lack passion. Aside from the outstanding rillettes and mortadella on the charcuterie plate, nothing was memorable. Too many broken little frites and mussels broth completely lacking the garlic and herb flavor I'm used to.Special Features:
- Perfect for brunchAudyGodwechDined on 8/16/2014The food is delicious! From the truffled scrambled eggs to the waffle, can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice. Parking not too badBarbie50Dined on 8/15/2014My biggest concern, when my friend wanted to meet at Barbette, was the parking. As it turned out, it was not a problem. Both of us found on street parking within a block of the restaurant. Employees greeted me promptly and with a smile. Server was very good. I had the French toast with fruit compote. "Fruit compote" seemed to be limited to blueberries. The French toast was a diagonally siced bagette-i-artfully presented and tasty. There were several vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014We had to wait awhile for the host to acknowledge and seat us, but the food and wait staff was superb, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Food, Casual SettingRichDined on 8/7/2014Food was excellent, simple French inspired dishes with local ingredients and much attention paid to the details. Atmosphere much more casual that similar French restaurants in the metro area but with prices similar to more upscale establishments. If I were going to spend nearly $100 for two with drinks i would prefer a more formal setting but if you want good food and are willing to pay the premium it's worth a try.Special Features:
- great food poor wait staff...NeajDined on 8/4/2014I love Barbettes & have gone there late night a few times. It is quirky & fun. This time however I was there with my book club & our gal wait staff wasn't very nice. She argued about whether or not the mussles were curry--even though we could taste the curry (we'd asked for wine, butter & garlic mussles) one is spicy the other sweet--we could tell the difference. We told her we wanted seperate checks up front but she put the bill all together because two of us shared the mussles. I just hope she settles into a nice friendly person who realizes customers know what they like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Lunchbeka118Dined on 8/2/2014The bloody's were great and dining outside was extremely enjoyable. I have to admit, the food was good, but not spectacular. Our service was awesome though, and I'd go back again.Special Features:
- Great food & ambience, poor serviceMaryDined on 7/25/2014Mussels superb. The Sangria (called Frenchie something) was great. Steak frites, served with aioli & green beans, fantastic. Lobster risotto was delicious. Steak Helene, not great. Only problem was the waitperson; she had nothing to say about the menu even when asked about specific items and she came by the table only rarely. Very odd. Maybe she was having a terrible night. I've always had good service at Barbette in the past, even when it's very busy.Special Features:
- Simply Great Food. A classicDateNightDinersDined on 7/25/2014Simple twists on Classic menus choices done superbly. Perfect portions from apps entrees to dessert. Good wine and drink selections. Enjoyed the friendly staff and neighborhood location. Highly reccomend for a date night or dinner with friends who value well prepared and delicious meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best servicejosephinejrDined on 7/25/2014While the food was pleasant, the service was remarkable. Specifically, when I asked our waitstaff her opinion about a dish, she told me and then went on to explain exactly why she felt that way about it. I could then decide for myself if her thinking would correspond with my own. SO refreshing! Also, when we asked them to turn the volume of the ambient music down, they did so while explaining they were required to keep it at a certain level. It was still too noisy inside for easy conversation, however.
- Good choice near Lake CalhounkaydinesoutVIPDined on 7/23/2014Green salad starter and chicken entree were good. Some outdoor tables just off busy Hennepin Ave. make this a pleasant place to dine outside. Parking lot is a plus in this busy area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerChucklesDined on 7/20/2014Wonderful food - we enjoyed the soba noodles, the fondue and especially enjoyed the key lime pie with white chocolate sauce! Excellent selection for vegetarians. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the price..dinewithcpDined on 7/17/2014while our waitress was pleasant and the food was good, this is not a restaurant that compels me to come back. The portions were rather small and the prices were rather large...our dessert of carrot cake was more than generous, had a dense cake and creamy frosting. The fact that our waitress served us caffeinated coffee when we ordered decaf made for a VERY long night for two of us who were awake until nearly 3 AM.
- Bastille Day prix-fixe et alchamplinfoodiesDined on 7/14/2014The goat cheese fondue my husband ordered was amazing, and they did their steak-frites well. I really enjoyed the celeriac cold soup. Good spicy mussel broth. Our server forgot to ask me how I wanted my steak; I guess I assumed I didn't get a choice since it was supposed to be a chef's tasting menu and therefore the chef would send things out however the chef wanted...? I'm sure it tasted fine, but I hate undercooked meat, so most of it went home to our dog. The dessert was barely there; usually my favorite part of a meal, it was delicious but hardly worth it. So, we'd go back, but I wouldn't do the prix fixe menu, and we'd get dessert elsewhere. We had an enjoyable evening, and their corkage fee was totally worth it!
- A trip to parisParisloverDined on 7/11/2014Authentic French feel to food. I go to Paris every yearSpecial Features:
- French?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014This was rated as the "Best French Restaurant" in town. For an 11 year old who loves France, there was little French to be found.lSpecial Features:
- Great Food - Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2014Traveled to Minneapolis with several leaders of my organizations and had to find a place on a Monday night. On top of that I am vegan....WOW was my food good and that was the response from everyone at my table. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Outdoor onlyEatStreetDined on 7/5/2014We love Barbette for its mussels and creative entries. As to atmosphere, there was a foul smell that permeated the indoor restaurant. We have never noticed this before. It was enough to make us sit outside, Luckily, it was a beautiful summer afternoon and we got a curbside table. Had it been the middle of winter, we would have had to make other dining plans. Meaning: we would have left, the smell was that offensive. I would be reluctant to take out-of-town guests here.
- Great food, bad serverBobJMinneapolisDined on 7/3/2014Really great food, in a vibrant uptown neighborhood spot. Our server was nasty, and looked shocked when we asked for Béarnaise at a French restaurant. Upon asking again, she pouted "why would I lie?" That was a little odd, and it seemed she had too many tables, but then there were like five women hanging out by the kitchen occasionally bringing food out. Not very crazy about their poor management or this one server, but we really love the food. What should we do?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.