321 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://barbettarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122469171x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Hours of Operation: Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dream Team de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist evenings from 6:00pm
A word from Barbetta Restaurant
Celebrating its 108th Year, Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York still owned by its founding family. Barbetta is also New York's oldest Italian restaurant and the oldest restaurant in the Theater District. This three-fold distinction has earned it landmark status by the Locali Storici d'Italia. In a glittering interior decorated with 18th century Italian antiques Barbetta serves the cuisine of Piemonte, Italy's northwestern most region. In summer, its exuberantly verdant garden with century-old trees and scented with the blooms of wisteria, oleander, jasmine and gardenia make it a most sought-after site for al fresco dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbetta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (187)special occasion (179)great for outdoor dining (177)neighborhood gem (94)notable wine list (82)fit for foodies (75)great for lunch (63)good for groups (37)scenic view (35)great for brunch (25)late-night find (18)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/23/2014I found this restaurant way over priced and the food wasn't even that great. Portions too small. The salmon I ordered was also overcooked. Place is in need of a definite remodel as well.
- TonyTonyDined on 8/23/2014The restraurant only offered a theather menu only when we went on a Saturday only. Plus some of the items where sold out. Questioning the waiter he said they limited the amounts due to them closing for vacation in two days. Nowhere did I see on their website that there was certain times their regular menu was available to order from.
- What a great NY findOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/22/2014Although the Greeting-Lady in Leopard-print was snooty far beyond her faux-leopard-print-bearing, the balance of the evening was easily overcome by service-quality, provenance, and culinary excellence. Although we booked late, which meant we could not get a seat in their charming outdoor courtyard, the dining room was simply elegant in a way that only a very well-established place can be, set in a vintage NY house. This place is a real treat anyway you look at it.Special Features:
- Excellent evening!PeejDined on 8/20/2014Because of the good online reviews we tried Barbetta and loved evrything about it. The ambiance was magical, we ate in the garden and the weather was perfect. The service was attentive without being overbearing, so we had losts of time to converse. The food was delicious, antipasta, risotto, homemade pasta,a bottle of prosecco, my guests ordered modestly so we each ordered an amazing desert. Barbetta made our reunion most memorable. Thank you.Special Features:
- Venerable and MemorableManhattandinerDined on 8/20/2014After 106+ years, Barbetta remains in a class unto itself. The rich decor that reflects its century-old history, has been impeccably maintained. Wonderful Italian dishes that do not overwhelm one's capacity to enjoy. The staff is unfailingly hospitable and never intrusive. The outdoor garden is heavenly. I had lunch with three friends whom I hadn't seen in quite awhile. We ended up lingering in the garden for three hours, long after all the other diners had departed but no one even hinted that we should leave.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theater dining optionkarenDined on 8/16/2014great service, great food, my mom and I went before seeing a show in Times square, it was absolutely awesome!!Special Features:
- amazing!!!presidentxtieDined on 8/16/2014We went before seeing If/Then. We sat in the garden, which was absolutely beautiful and not as crowded as the dining room at all. The wait staff was amazing!!! As soon as we finished our bread (which was incredible) or our drinks they were instantly replenished. My girlfriend loved the wine the waiter recommended, and our food was top notch!!! We both had the braised beef and the chive mashed potatoes were the best I have ever had. Our waiter brought us an extra dessert on the house! We were very impressed overall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dependable Enjoyable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Over the many years we have visited this NYC gem we have never been disappointed with the food or service. Few resaurants in our opinion have such a dependable high quality kitchen together with a well trained and attentive service. On this occasion the beautiful day added to the wonderful patio dining experience.Special Features:
- Good food, very small portionsSalmonDined on 8/15/2014The service was flawless, the food was delicious. However, the decor is a bit outdated, and the portions are very small. Although the food was good, it just didn't feel worth that much money, and by "that much money," I mean Restaurant Week prices...Special Features:
- Dated, but beautifulMaxMDined on 8/15/2014Sadly I can't give this restaurant more than 3 stars, because the food was mediocre at best. The restaurant week menu was fine, and the wine list was pretty good ($35 bottle of sauvignon blanc was perfect), but the two pasta dishes I had were pretty disappointing. Overcooked pasta and underseasoned ragu sauce -- ragu pasta is a staple at any Italian restaurant, especially one as reputable as Barbetta. But the service was impeccable, and they delivered the food quickly as we had an 8pm show. Also, the outdoor area was absolutely gorgeous. Reminded me of Florence. Definitely not worth the price, but was still a nice pre-Broadway dinner for two.Special Features:
- busy body waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014setting was so lovely outdoors but the waiters were so available and telling us all kinds of things about restaurant, that we could barely enjoy setting.Special Features:
- Dinner before a showKimSVIPDined on 8/15/2014We dine before Broadway shows a lot and it is hard to find really special places close to the theaters. The special part about our evening at Barbetta was the service. Everyone we encountered was delightful and especially our server. There was no pretentiousness and a consistent feeling of being a welcomed guest in this lovely establishment. The garden was perfect and the food was very good. It was restaurant week and our server directed us to the restaurant week menu and suggested an excellent bottle of wine at a great price. We did not feel rushed and could have stayed all evening without that pressure you often feel to turn over a table. We will go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sueandfriendsDined on 8/15/2014There was five good friends at lunch in the courtyard. It was a beautiful day and the experience was a-one. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. All of us had a wonderful time and experience. The Restaurant Week menu was delicious. Four of us commuted from N.J. and it was worth all the effort. We plan to return during the winter Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- lanecranDined on 8/14/2014I can't say enough about my experience. The food was good, the service was excellent and the garden was lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!elp721Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful restaurant for pre-theatre dinner or after theatre romantic spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!EvebursetDined on 8/14/2014Barbetta lived up to my expectations. At first I thought we would be treated differently because we were there for the Restaurant Week Lunch special, bu that wasn't so. From the minute we walked in, we were greated graciously and the wait staff was super attentive and helpful. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!sallieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Barbetta's has been my favorite restaurant in NYC for over 50 years. My parents began taking me here as a teenager. Love having lunch in the garden when I am in town...the smoked salmon smoked on the premises is sublime...the lump crab with wild rice is a frequent choice for me...fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem of a post theater dining spotlebonmetsVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a post-Broadway supper on my birthday in the garden. And it was a lovely, delicious experience!Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014One of the best overall dining experiences. Great service. Great food. Great atmosphere. I loved it.Special Features:
- Great ambianceStubieDined on 8/13/2014But food was mediocre and service lackluster. Hostess was a charmer, but all went downhill from thereSpecial Features:
- Great service and ambiance!foodiegurl56Dined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed the lovely setting and the service was very attentive but the food did not live up to NYC quality for fine dining. Italian wine list was expansive. It was restaurant week and we ordered off of that menu so perhaps the regular menu is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerWinedinnerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Fun old school dinner venue', perfect for a pre theater dinner. Service was great, loved the sommelier.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant DiningMrBlzVIPDined on 8/13/2014Top shelf all the way. You can understand why this restaurant has been here for over 100 years.Special Features:
- theater dining mustusavmeDined on 8/13/2014Never knew that such a gem existed in the theater district! Ambiance was wonderful. The food was cooked to perfection (we had salmon in a delicate cucumber sauce.) Right down to the dessert , a delicate pear in wine. Light n refreshing. It is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbio589Eatoutalot19Dined on 8/13/2014Air conditioning just turned in when we arrived so quite hot upstairs. Reservation made a while ago but we were seated upstairs and not downstairs as requested We will not hurry backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfood1Dined on 8/13/2014Great meal and service would go there again. One of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsblondemamaVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were celebrating a reunion of sorts. There were 7 of us and we all enjoyed everything ! This restaurant has a lovely ambiance and the service was lovely. We all enjoyed our meal and the best part was that nobody rushed us out of the restaurant. We sat for as long as we wanted which we all very much appreciated. Some of us don't get to see one another very often; so this all worked in our favor. The menu for restaurant week was lovely ! I wish restaurant week was every week. We all enjoy a good bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for everyoneJavier93Dined on 8/12/2014Being there for the first time and enjoyed all of it! Great ambience and the service are all ready to get you what you need. If you want to have an special time with your loving ones , this place is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service. Great food!Shark2013Dined on 8/12/2014Went there for restaurant week before Broadway show. Service spectacular and food was good. Old work charm. Eduardo and team were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We were hoping to sit outside for lunch but the weather prevented that from happening. The salmon/cucumber entree was delicious. I remember having the same dish three years ago. Although the orange/dark chocolate mousse had a wonderful flavor, the presentation was unappetizing and juvenile. It could have been made to look more appealing. A lump of dark chocolate in the middle of a white plate is not attractive. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonMDined on 8/12/2014Food and service were terrific for lunch. Restaurant Week made the price excellant. Enjoyed our experience!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekJayemmeDined on 8/9/2014Disappointed that the Restaurant Week menu is not available on a Saturday night. The food and service was good. A bit pricey even by New York City standards as the piece of fish I got was barely the size of a bar of soap. I am not a big eater so it was fine for me, but most people would have left there hungry based on that portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Went for an anniversary dinner and sat outside near the fountain. The outside patio is just awesome! The food was excellent and portion size was good. Huge wine selection - three wine lists, the extensive list is at least 300 pages! The waiter was very knowledgeable and made a great recommendations.Special Features:
- The food was very disappointing...onthetownDined on 8/9/2014Barbetta has almost everything required for a great restaurant. A friendly, welcoming, and attentive staff, elegant surroundings inside and out, and great Italian wines at an affordable price. The one thing missing...good food. Although we were in no rush since we had just come from a show, we were required to order off a prix fixe menu, which was disappointing since we had read so much about the restaurant's history and extensive menu. And there's just no other way to say it, the food was not good. My beet salad was swimming in an unnecessary beet puree, my beef entree wasn't even as good as a Sunday pot roast, and it was served with green, yes green, mashed potatoes. It's historic, so I'm glad we went, but we won't ever go back.
- Great staff and food21yearsDined on 8/9/2014Decor could probably use an updated but is still a great place. Been going here for 21 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToniLDined on 8/9/2014Costly for lunch but very good. Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- A Delightful ExperienceCayman163Dined on 8/8/2014This is our second visit and it did not fail to delight. The entire staff works hard to be sure you are completely enjoying yourself. It is for that reason, and the excellent food, that we keep returning. Laura Maioglio, owner of Barbetta, will make sure that you are enjoying yourself. Her family has owned the restaurant for over a century and her menu reflects dishes from the Piedmont area of Italy. The dinning area is set up to look like you are joining Miss Laura for dinner. However, during the warmer months the garden is open for a very romantic scene. If you want delicious food, great wine and a relaxing atmosphere, then be sure to visit Barbetta Restaurant but leave the snobbery at the door. We'll be there again very shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NYC's Best2StreetrVIPDined on 8/8/2014Enyoyed a wonderful pre-theater meal at Barbetta on 8 August 2014. Host Eduardo behaved as if we were the only patrons there, anticipating and suggesting and ensuring we were satisfied. Food was outstanding, atmosphere excellent would recommend and return without hesitation. My only criticism is that we were not offered the full menu, even though our reservation was for 2 1/2 hours before curtain time. On the other hand, the pre-theater menu was more than adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer2014Dined on 8/8/2014The food and dessert were ok - nothing to rave about although the service was v. good.Special Features:
- DirRaphaDined on 8/8/2014Ambiente agradável, atendimento perfeito. Comida boa. Fiquei bem feliz porque os garçons e o maitrê trouxeram uma fatia de bolo com uma velinha acesa cantando Happybirthday para minha neta que completava 15 anos. Emocionante. Amei. Recomendo!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.