321 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://barbettarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122469171x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Hours of Operation: Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dream Team de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist evenings from 6:00pm
A word from Barbetta Restaurant
Celebrating its 108th Year, Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York still owned by its founding family. Barbetta is also New York's oldest Italian restaurant and the oldest restaurant in the Theater District. This three-fold distinction has earned it landmark status by the Locali Storici d'Italia. In a glittering interior decorated with 18th century Italian antiques Barbetta serves the cuisine of Piemonte, Italy's northwestern most region. In summer, its exuberantly verdant garden with century-old trees and scented with the blooms of wisteria, oleander, jasmine and gardenia make it a most sought-after site for al fresco dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbetta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (164)romantic (164)special occasion (157)neighborhood gem (92)notable wine list (72)fit for foodies (64)great for lunch (56)good for groups (40)scenic view (18)late-night find (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014We took clients here and the service could not be better. While the food is not transformative, it was very solid -- and overall our experience was very good! Also, it feels like a NYC institution.
- Very DisappointedAspoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Before booking the restaurant, I went on line and looked at the menu. I really liked what was on the menu and looked forward to some of the choices on the menu. However, after we were sat, we got a menu that was a prix fix and there was no other options to choose from. Needless to say, I was disappointed as well as the two other people I was with. There was no mention on the website or open table of this restriction and that the regular menu wasn't available during theater times. Since it was a Saturday night, we had not other alternative but to stay. The prix fix was $58.00,not worth it! On a positive note, we ate outside in the courtyard, which was a lovely oasis.
- jr1018Dined on 10/18/2014A perfect dining oasis in the middle of Manhattan! Great food, excellent service and atmosphere. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The outside section is great. You'd never know you were in the middle of the theater district!Special Features:
- amberDined on 10/17/2014If you can be in the garden atrium this is an amazing spot for Time Square's Restaurant Row.
- Theater dinnerAlaskajmdDined on 10/17/2014I was disappointed that we were only offered the theater menue and had to choose the 4 course meal. The appetizer and dessert were great but the main courses were disappointing. We had the beef, chicken and rabbit, all unremarkable. I thought there would be Italian menu choices. The service was great and a convenient location for Theater goers.Special Features:
- Rushed dinnerBrooklynDined on 10/17/2014Our pre-theater dinner felt very rushed, even though we had plenty of time. I'd barely ordered and taken two bites of my salad when our main courses arrived. They couldn't have been made to order, but simply heated up in the kitchen. The food was OK, but the service staff were terrific and very accommodating. Just slow it down a bit, please!Special Features:
- KaysDined on 10/16/2014Beautiful location inside and outside ..garden was so beautiful we sat outside great service by the waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special service and great foodJohnBDined on 10/16/2014This long standing restaurant has maintained its high quality of food and service. Service and quality do not diminish if you are trying to make a show. They applies if you are just enjoying a fine dinner out with friends. Above all; Management wants to make sure you to enjoy their food and service.Special Features:
- Simply AmazingSubluxdocDined on 10/16/2014We were in town for celebration of my wife's birthday and this restaurant made it the most spectacular celebration we could've ever dreamed of!! The entire team at Barbetta made the evening magical for us. Eduardo's knowledge of the menu and the attention to detail was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater District OasisSophie2012Dined on 10/15/2014We dined at noon, pre-theater, on Oct 15th & it was warm enough to dine on the garden patio. Pink azaleas were in bloom & gardenia trees were placed around the beautiful fountain. Fabulous food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC FAVORITEEddieCDined on 10/14/2014A classic dinner in a classic restaurant. The food was prepared with an elegant touch. Excellent Italian Wine selection. The service was impeccableSpecial Features:
- Amazing restaurantdeals0617Dined on 10/11/2014We celebrated our 10th anniversary here and the restaurant was the perfect choice. It is a romantic setting and the service was amazing. The staff is very attentive and friendly and happy to answer any questions. The food was fantastic with large portions and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014An excellent pre-theatre dinner within a few steps of many theaters. We would definitely return. Matthew Broderick was dining there before his show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GhiaDined on 10/11/2014Food was okay at best. While still eating my entree they cleared bread dish off the table that still had my bread on. I had the signature dish of beef short ribs, which was definitely plated way in advance and not that tasty. Polenta needed some seasoning which tasted more like farina.Special Features:
- Fantastic!MauiboundDined on 10/10/2014The entire experience was fantastic! Food and service was exceptional!Special Features:
- Lovely old world charmjssmarchDined on 10/10/2014No wonder this palce has been around for over a hundred years! We received a warm and friendly greeting at the door. The wait staff were pleasant and efficient. Our waiter asked right away if we were going to a show later. No but 2 of us had to catch an train at 7:15. He assured us that would not be a problem and he would take care of us. The food was delicious although it was a prix fixe menu ( at $58/per) the choices were all good. As the restaurant filled, our waiter didn't visit as often. The 2 who had to catch a train had to dash off and missed dessert--and the bill.Special Features:
- A great restaurantStu14Dined on 10/8/2014We went for dinner to Barbetta at 7.30pm and found that the main groups of theatre goers leaving. After they had gone the restaurant was very quiet. We sat at a table in the garden at the back of the restaurant, a delightful setting. The food was excellent, but rather expensive. The same applies to the wine. The service was very good. Barbetta is an oasis of quiet in the middle of noisy New York and we would fully recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It never gets oldBobDVIPDined on 10/8/2014The perfect Wednesday afternoon, dining in the beautiful garden of Barbetta. Floren and Suzanna welcome you with open arms. The food was enjoyable and delicious. We started with Parma prosciutto and Grana Padana, followed by crespelli in a light tomato sauce then a wonderful piece of swordfish with Lentils. Floren selected a wonderful Gavi to start and a Barolo to finish. A great afternoon. Great food, great staff! The gem on 46th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio dinning on a perfect NYC eveCocoDined on 10/7/2014We had a party of four women eating a light dinner before going to see Motown. We began with a nice choice of red wine. Fresh and warm sour dough bread was delivered. Two ordered a small portion of vegetable manicotti. Two of us ordered a small portion of a pasta with red meat sauce. Fresh Parmesan cheese was sprinkled on our dish if desired. The waiter was very accomodating to our desires if we wanted something not seen on the menu. The wait staff were very prompt. This is a very old home that has been transisted into a restaurant. Lots of character and still being restored in some areas. Overall, a great experience and I recommend for a great hidden dinning experience known to accommodate famous dinners such as The Clinton's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oct evening in gardendinenycDined on 10/7/2014Beautiful garden loved the scallops also easy walk to the theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/4/2014Second time at Barbetta for pre-theater meal with family from out of town (Europe). This may seem like a touristy joint, but is the real deal. Food is amazing (beets, salmon, pasta). Service will ruin your expectations for service in any future restaurant. They treat you like family - is lovely. Will be back as I love the food, the garden and the sweet staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising decor with ambianceNYCloverDined on 10/3/2014The service here was outstanding. We were a bit late for our reservation and they still were able to serve our meal smoothly without us feeling rushed to make it to the theatre.Special Features:
- Elegant,timeless experiencecalalilyDined on 10/2/2014We had dinner before a 7pm curtain on Oct.2.The food,service and ambience are an excellent prelude to the theater.While elegant, the restaurant is warm and welcoming.If you're missing a dinner in Rome or Florence,visit Barbetta and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentRumpusVIPDined on 10/1/2014Barbetta has a beautifully proportioned dining room and an even lovelier garden, but the food has gone downhill and doesn't begin to justify the prices. On the $58.00 prix fixe, the lentils under the swordfish were well flavored, but the fish itself was rubbery. The beef on the prix fixe menu was submerged in an overly thickened gravy and was scarily reminiscent of cafeteria Swiss steak. Desserts were pedestrian, and while our captain was convivial, other attempts at white glove service fell below the mark. The tablecloth was brushed after our entrees, but crumbs were still left in front of us, and rather than receiving a teapot to steep the brew to our own liking with enough tea to refresh the drink, it was simply poured into a cup.
- Fantastic pre theater hidden gemSpencer2Dined on 9/30/2014Extraordinary service. Beautiful outdoor garden. A hidden gem in the theater district. Quiet, elegant dining. We were in the city for a mother-daughter visit and my mom adored this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbetta Delivers Againjohnpearl44VIPDined on 9/27/2014Too long since last visit. Forgot how charming. Brought very particular friends and they were delighted. A MUST if at the theatre. One caveat, bring your credit card, dinner for two w wine, etc $250.00.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre Menu, Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014This is my fourth time going to Barbetta, and I enjoy it more each time. The food is great, the price of the pre-theatre menu is AMAZING, and the service is impeccable. Barbetta is located in the theatre district, so it is convenient to all of the plays. But, most importantly, it is a fantastic dining experience. I love sitting out in the garden, but have also enjoyed being in the main dining room. I will go to Barbetta's again!Special Features:
- Perfect for a pre-theatre mealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/27/2014The food was cooked to fit the dish ordered. Salmon perfectly poached, swordfish delicately cooked to melt in your mouth (usually a tough fish to do correctly) I am an amateur at knowing chefs and their talents but I know what I like. I understood the chef to be famous locally and I can say the food was really fabulous so I'm sure its true. Tables sometimes looked a bit squished together but they made due and fit everyone in just fine. Very romantic and I would go again. Service was very spot on and my water glass was never empty.Special Features:
- Very niceChrisFranceDined on 9/27/2014Nice food, tasty and well presented. Friendly staff. A very nice lunch in a lovely gardenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theaternyragirlDined on 9/25/2014We made a last minute reservation for 4 prior to seeing a broadway show. The staff could not have been more accommodating, and the food was delicious. We were served quickly and had a leisurely dinner with wine, appetizer, entree and even dessert. The dining room is formal but lively, and the outside patio looked lovely too. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater Diningglr1VIPDined on 9/25/2014I had read about the lovely patio but on a rainy September night we ate in the dining room and had a very enjoyable meal. The waiter was attentive and the noise level low enough for easy conversation. My husband had three flavors of risotto, each of which were distinctive and fresh tasting. I was in the mood for something lighter and had the vitello tonnato which was beautifully prepared. When we asked some questions about the waiter recommended wine by the glass, the sommelier brought over the bottle and engaged us in a discussion of its origin and flavors. We are looking forward to returning on our next New York trip.Special Features:
- The BEST!!!KandJfamilyDined on 9/24/2014This remains among our favorite restaurants of all time - very unique as a "forever" family owned place. Its warm weather garden dining area that is the best ANYWHERE, and the old world elegance of its regular dining room is impossible to beat - in the new or old worlds!!Special Features:
- Classic Theater GemVandyDined on 9/23/2014Barbetta was a great find--in the heart of the busy theater district, but quiet and classic with great food. I was worried it might be a little stuffy, since it bills itself as the oldest family owned restaurant in NY. That was not the case at all. The fixed price, pre-dinner menu was fabulous, with lots of choices. The food was delicious.The waiter suggested a wine that was tremendous and reasonable, with a very generous pour, as was my scotch to get things started. The service was amazing--everyone seemed to try to connect with us, even the person who served bread, and make our experience enjoyable. This was our first visit, but I would choose Barbetta every time we are on our way to the theater in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialFoodieDined on 9/20/2014We had an excellent dinner. Even though we ran late due to increased traffic (hard to imagine), we were warmly greeted and very well pampered during our dinner visit. We didn't feel pressure to rush our meal or leave quickly. The garden dining was beautiful and quiet. The food couldn't have been prepared any better.Special Features:
- Pre-theaterOrthodocDined on 9/20/2014Great place for before the show. Price-fix menu. Fast service, good teamwork. The cheese puffs with sesame are excellent. Famous outdoor gardens eating area, though I chose to eat inside. Portions were light for me. Bagna Cauda is a must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated, overpricedeatwellDined on 9/19/2014We went to this restaurant with high hopes, having received glowing reports from trusted friends. The first dish we ordered (both ordered the chicken with pomegranate sauce) was simply awful. The chicken was dry and tasteless, and the sauce didn't taste like much either. The dishes came out so fast, we thought they'd probably been sitting around on a warming plate for several hours before they were plunked in front of us. Our replacement dishes, the filet mignon and the scallops, were very ordinary, and certainly not worth the price. The wait staff was minimally attentive, and not very apologetic. Extremely disappointing. We will never go back. The only plus was the lovely atmosphere of the outdoor space, very peaceful and beautiful.Special Features:
- A Great Place Pre-TheaterthedcsguyDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I had tickets for a theatrical performance and I looked for a good Resturant to celebrate our pre-anniversary. Service was impeccable, food excellent, and we were both blown away by the room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Established by still vitalJetPilotNYCVIPDined on 9/18/2014Oldest continuously family run restaurant in NYC could have become staid and rested on its history. Not so with exceptional Barbetta. Wait staff and hosts treat even first time diners like me as family. Food very good and outdoor garden gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting EveningWalterHardingDined on 9/17/2014We had a wonderful table in the beautiful Garden Room. Service was terrific and the food wonderful.. If you are in town for theater, do not miss this spot!Special Features: