321 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://barbettarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 246-9171
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Hours of Operation: Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dream Team de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist evenings from 6:00pm
A word from Barbetta Restaurant
Celebrating its 108th Year, Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York still owned by its founding family. Barbetta is also New York's oldest Italian restaurant and the oldest restaurant in the Theater District. This three-fold distinction has earned it landmark status by the Locali Storici d'Italia. In a glittering interior decorated with 18th century Italian antiques Barbetta serves the cuisine of Piemonte, Italy's northwestern most region. In summer, its exuberantly verdant garden with century-old trees and scented with the blooms of wisteria, oleander, jasmine and gardenia make it a most sought-after site for al fresco dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbetta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (140)special occasion (139)great for outdoor dining (131)neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (62)great for lunch (42)good for groups (41)late-night find (18)scenic view (14)great for brunch (10)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- jakeDined on 11/22/2014they have outdoor ding in the warm weather in the court yeardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbettaAnitaVIPDined on 11/22/2014This is such an iconic place. The service here is outstanding and the food excellent. The wine list is quite notable also. The only downside is the dust on the decorations everywhere. Especially the empty wine bottle collection. We noticed that diners had even started drawing and writing on them in the dust, that is how thick it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new find in a familiar place...MargDeDined on 11/19/2014We chose Barbetta from Zagat's suggestions for the area around our Broadway play venue. We were not disappointed. A nice, quiet restaurant on Restaurant Row, we had a lovely table upstairs. Our food was delicious and the service very good. We will definitely return to try their large wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, average experiencesonomastanVIPDined on 11/19/2014Don't make the mistake of allowing to be seated upstairs. A space with no character and style. The overpriced menu features average food that is simply not worth ones time. An aging lady that sorely needs to retain its history but find its place in today.
- A Delightful ThrowbackLLGUESVIPDined on 11/19/2014Barbetta is a treat for anyone who longs for the niceties of "old New York." Beautiful old wood panelling and the phalanx of wait staff make for a lovely experience. Excellent service and a very nice wine selection outpaced the food, which was quite good but somewhat serviceable. Still, worth the trip, especially for its reasonably priced three-course prix fixe pre-theater menu. Definitely a fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapZabuVIPDined on 11/18/2014We're presented with a price fixe menu, asked for regular menu. We're presented with same. Ordered off regular menu, were brought things we had not ordered, several of the wait staff insisted we have desert, which we didn't want and refused. When we were presented with the bill we were charged the price fixe price. We were rushing to the theater so did not protest. Had we been told that the policy was price fixe only we would have ordered accordingly. BUT WE WERE NEVER INFORMED. Major rip off
- Very disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014I always felt that I couldn't go wrong with any restaurant in NYC - until I went to Barbetta's. Three life-long girlfriends met in NY for a weekend birthday celebration/reunion of shopping, dinner and theater. I made reservations at Barbettas through Open Table based on the outstanding reviews. We were all very disappointed in our meal. The Prix Fix meal was pricey so we decided to go a la carte. That was even more pricey, the food fair with no presentation. Two of us had the pasta with meat (veal) sauce and a salad. The salad was very salty and the pasta was dry and flavorless. We commented about the meal when we were leaving and were asked why we didn't say anything to the waiter. Well, the waiter deposited our food and no one came back to ask about our meal. In fairness, they did give us a Happy Birthday dessert which was very good. The hostess was pleasant. I'm sorry but I cannot recommend Barbetta.
- Great atmospheremobiledudeDined on 11/12/2014The best part of the restaurant is the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fishermanVIPDined on 11/12/2014Local gem - Outstanding in all respects!!! From the moment you enter the restaurant to when you leave it is a special time for fine food - good service and hospitality.Special Features:
- Theater dinnerLizzyk24Dined on 11/8/2014Perfect for a pre theater dinner. I'm always sceptic of a prefixed me u but there were many options and everything was delicious I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiancePattiDined on 11/8/2014Wish they had more choices in particular pasta dishes.Special Features:
- Perfect for theater goers4lobsterloversDined on 11/8/2014Great food, excellent service, lovely elegance inside and equally special for outside dining. Perfect for theater goers as staff is very attentive. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As excellent as everPhDTigressVIPDined on 11/8/2014I hadn't dined at Barbetta for quite some time and invited a friend there for a pre-theater birthday lunch. The room is beautiful, the service is courteous, and the menu offers a wide variety of options. The maitre d' recalled that we were celebrating a birthday, seated us at an especially nice table, and brought my guest a dessert with Happy Birthday on the plate. I would definitely return to Barbetta when attending the theater (the efficient service is oriented toward theater-goers) or for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Pre theater dinnerscandinaviaDined on 11/7/2014We chose this restaurant because of its history and location. Because we were going to a theater we had to have an early dinner and the restaurant gave us a special set menu. However we chose to order from the a la carte menu. Food was good, nothing extraordinary. Nice staff.Special Features:
- momandiDined on 11/6/2014Our dinner was fantastic and the service was commendable. It was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of New York. Elegant is a word that comes to mindSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater district Northern Italian12345Dined on 11/5/2014The food was good, the atmosphere was fine, the service was pleasant and the price was right but the evening did not live up to my expectations. Where did things go wrong? Two round tables for four, pushed together for eight people, just didn't work and the conversation didn't flow. And since getting together with friends was the point of the evening not speaking to three out of eight was a disappointment to be sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old New YorkporkyVIPDined on 11/5/2014This restaurant represents old New York and desperately needs a face lift!!! Fabric on chairs are stained and old, curtains appear to be dusty, just a major re-do! Also, the food was marginal and expensive. The only positive is that is does have a lovely outdoor garden, however, it cannot be used in the fall/winter!!!Special Features:
- PhiippeVIPDined on 11/5/2014the environment is totally outdated , it is fine to be a tradition but the main room need to be refreshed it comes across too much as a feeding machine
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014The food was very ordinary, the service rushed and the tables too close together. The only good thing is its proximity to the theater
- good food and knowledge staffelfwilsVIPDined on 11/1/2014what an historic place to dine and lots of menu choices from years past to recent new additionsSpecial Features:
- Return visitLupeDined on 11/1/2014On my return to the City - I took my daughters and as always the friendly service, food and atmosphere was delightful - the girls loved it and would return on their own I'm sure I Loved it as and have not been disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie But Goodie!Love2eatDined on 11/1/2014This is the oldest Italian restaurant in New York! However, the pre-theater menu did not offer a wide range of traditional Italian food. The service was excellent and the ambiance was quite lovely. The food was presented and prepared very nicely. Located in the heart of the theater district, this restaurant is worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The food, ambiance, and service were amazing! Such a wonderful meal and experience!Special Features:
- Fine Dining ExperienceloveNYCdiningDined on 10/30/2014What a find! Great service, delicious food, good wine and even a piano player performing for our pleasure. The pre-theater dinner menu was very fairly priced at $58.00. I started with a penne bolognese, then beef simmered in red wine served with polenta. Dessert followed and the selections were numerous. A nice salad to cleanse the palate was served before dessert. My daughter began with a caprese salad and the mozzarella was the creamiest we had ever tasted-better than any I had eaten in Italy. The pesto linguine was also delicious. She did not choose the pre-theater options but felt the prices were reasonable for a NYC restaurant. A poached pear and dark chocolate orange mousse topped off the evening. How "Wicked" aSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristineVIPDined on 10/29/2014I must see garden / Courtyard...one of the oldest in New York City. save room for the desertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldest Italian Restaurant in NYCpbkevinDined on 10/29/2014Charming old spot; same ownership since 1906 and some or the original recipes are still on the menu. Wonderful place...NOT too casual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ItalianharveykopelDined on 10/28/2014The menu was mostly Italian and the waiter very helpful in interpreting it for us. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere in the outside garden waas very romantic. My wife and I had a great time. The Quail egg appetizer was unusual and very, very good.Special Features:
- Elegant Find on Restaurant Row1njgalVIPDined on 10/25/2014This beautiful restaurant in a brownstone in NYC is absolutely elegant! The ambiance and decor is outstanding. The tables are intimate and the food delicious. The price fixe dinner is pricey but you do get a few courses included. The service was attentive. We dined inside but took a look at the famous garden dining area…it was exquisite. I would recommend this lovely dining establishment for special occasions or just an evening on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantDaveyDDined on 10/25/2014We had lunch there before a matinee in the outdoor garden. The service was attentive and the meal was superb. I would highly recommend this restaurant. This was our first time here and we dine out frequently on 46th St. We are definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staple Italian FooddeepsouthdelightDined on 10/24/2014The food here was simple but tasted amazing. Perfect menu and timing for a dinner before a show. The staff was amazing and really took a liking to my 12 year old niece, giving her special treatment the whole dinner! The pasta was amazing, and you could tell it was homemade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pre-theater gemTomnyitaDined on 10/24/2014Highly recommended The staff provided excellent service it was my girlfriend's birthday they did a lovely presentation and we all celebrated very charminglySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School CharmmealrevealDined on 10/22/2014This is an older restaurant but very charming. The waiter staff is older and exudes experience. The bus boys are also very attentive. I had one of the simpler pasta dishes but all members of our party enjoyed their meal. I received kiddos from my group for selecting this restaurant as our pre - theater dinner choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diningpro1Dined on 10/22/2014We found Barbettas to be very good. Just found bar to be quite expensive at $17.00 for a wine or a martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the fussKatherinaDined on 10/21/2014“Snooty, shabby, not worth the fuss” Oct 23, 2014 This restaurant is like your elderly uncle-grumpy, shabby, but not without some cooking skills. My main grudge-we specified on the reservations that it was our 25th wedding anniversary (and I mentioned it again to mai•tre d' when we arrived)-still got no acknowledgment. Out of 12000 restaurants in NYC we choose Barbetta to celebrate our special milestone, did not even get a smile or a warm wish from any of the staff. Minestrone soup-just Ok; roasted veggie soup – again: nothing to write home about. Grilled salmon-good, Sea bass with asparagus-fine (both $7 surcharge) Tea and coffee-lukewarm with a hint that it is time to leave, no re-fills. Bottom line-not worth the fuss.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014We took clients here and the service could not be better. While the food is not transformative, it was very solid -- and overall our experience was very good! Also, it feels like a NYC institution.
- Very DisappointedAspoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Before booking the restaurant, I went on line and looked at the menu. I really liked what was on the menu and looked forward to some of the choices on the menu. However, after we were sat, we got a menu that was a prix fix and there was no other options to choose from. Needless to say, I was disappointed as well as the two other people I was with. There was no mention on the website or open table of this restriction and that the regular menu wasn't available during theater times. Since it was a Saturday night, we had not other alternative but to stay. The prix fix was $58.00,not worth it! On a positive note, we ate outside in the courtyard, which was a lovely oasis.
- jr1018Dined on 10/18/2014A perfect dining oasis in the middle of Manhattan! Great food, excellent service and atmosphere. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The outside section is great. You'd never know you were in the middle of the theater district!Special Features:
- amberDined on 10/17/2014If you can be in the garden atrium this is an amazing spot for Time Square's Restaurant Row.
- Theater dinnerAlaskajmdDined on 10/17/2014I was disappointed that we were only offered the theater menue and had to choose the 4 course meal. The appetizer and dessert were great but the main courses were disappointing. We had the beef, chicken and rabbit, all unremarkable. I thought there would be Italian menu choices. The service was great and a convenient location for Theater goers.Special Features: