19-21 East 36th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbesrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126840215
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Bar: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, African, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Barbes Restaurant
Barbes Restaurant is named after the famous Paris neighborhood at the foot of the Sacre-Coeur, also known as the 'little piece of North Africa'. The Northernmost part of Africa, the Maghreb, is comprised of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia with cultures captivating with their cuisine, music and decor. Barbes is a melting pot of Parisian and Maghreb cultures and Barbes Restaurant carries that spirit. 'Our restaurant strives to bring the atmosphere of Barbès here in New York. Through our menu and ambiance we aim to immerse our clientele in the unique colors, tastes and sounds of Barbes.'Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbes Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Neighborhood GemJimMcDined on 10/22/2014Lovely dining room. Outstanding service. Good food at reasonable prices. Interesting presentation - we loved the tagines served in covered crockery. Great value. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBaltrunnerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Although the food, especially the tangines, is good, we had an unfortunate experience with the service. When we arrived no one waited on us (and the table we requested was not available). We finally flagged someone down to order a bottle of wine. The maître d' suggested a bottle too expensive for us that evening, and we ordered another, less expensive, bottle. Some 25 minutes went by, and it did not appear. After we flagged someone down again, the original (too expensive bottle) was presented to us. We said, no, we had ordered a different bottle, which again did not appear. We waited another ten minutes before asking about the wine yet again. When we received our check, yes, we were charged for the more expensive bottle.
- will definitely come back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/20/2014the atmosphere, staff, and food were all amazing. I want to try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodmayamDined on 10/17/2014I've been here for dinner three times in five years, weekdays and weekends and had a good meal every time. This time my friend had the hangar steak which looked straightforward, fries were probably from frozen, but she liked it all. I had the lamb couscous which was tasty, well-balanced, good texture to the couscous, and more vegetables than lamb which suits me fine. They have a decent wine list and bar and at 7:30 almost every table was full and the place was noisy with conversation -- though I'll add that there were a few gray-haired couples in there who didn't seem bothered. The staff is pleasant and work well together, the manager (owner?) is almost always in the room, acting as host and keeping an eye on things.Special Features:
- BarbesGothamfoodie1Dined on 10/16/2014Food was very mediocre. I ordered a salad with chicken. The chicken was like rubber and came with a minimal amount of feta cheese. With that being said, the service was excellent and ambiance was very nice and homey. Pricey for what it is.
- Okay, with delaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I went here for a business lunch, the food was tasty, but the service was delayed and the restaurant was not crowded. A one hour lunch took one and a half hours - and not because we couldn't stop talking!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Lovely restaurant, good food and service. I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch reviewJusttastingVIPDined on 10/14/2014I was meeting business associates for lunch. The noise level allowed for comfortable conversation. Moroccan specialties were tasty. I will be backSpecial Features:
- night out with friends10kgirlDined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious - I had the chicken tagine. The mix of lemon and green olive flavors made the sauce tangy and flavorful. The restaurant was very busy and the service kept up nicely and graciously. The ambiance was warm and inviting. The music was a bit too loud though, so on top of a full restaurant, we sometimes had difficulty hearing each other at our table of six. This is our second time to Barbes and have thoroughly enjoyed it both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan delightMoroccoDined on 10/7/2014Authentic, very good food, excellent service. Definitely would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to MoroccoHarper500VIPDined on 10/5/2014Tagines, Couscous etc. Well seasoned and very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels in white wineTonyoDined on 10/2/2014Is a must. either as a appetizers or main course. One of the best mussels I've ever had. Interestingly made with a spring of rosemary. Delightful! Main course had brochettes of lamb which were were tasty and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Moroccan gemRuthDined on 9/27/2014This small restaurant on a side street might not get the attention it deserves. The decor is charming and the staff is phenomenal. Very sweet, pleasant helpful staff with just the right amount of attention and never intrusive. The food is also delicious and large portions of very fresh, tasty food. Sorry I didn't find this restaurant sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Moroccan foodNYdinerDined on 9/24/2014A well located midtown gem. Food, service and ambience are excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real French DuckGrinfishDined on 9/24/2014I haven't tasted duck this good since I was lucky enough to go to France in 2005. The skin was crispy, the fat just under the skin melted in the mouth like butter, and the meat was exquisite. The bed of lentils and greens were well paired, and I hope I get more opportunities to come back! This was my second visit, and as before, the service was excellent. My only minor complaint is that the restaurant feels a little cramped; they have to pull the tables away from the walls just to enable you to sit down in the booths. Overall: Fancy and delicious, but very affordable for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find off Madison Ave.SVivVIPDined on 9/22/2014BARBES is a great find, conveniently located close to the office. Food was delicious, there was a nice selection on the menu, enough to suit many tastes. Portion size was good. The restaurant was cozy, not too large or noisy.. It was clean and attra Clive in an elective and somewhat rustic way. Waitstaff was friendly and attentive. Our orders were taken swiftly and the meals were served fairly quickly. We we're not rushed or pressured to order more items. I would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good restarauntKnobby3Dined on 9/22/2014I come to Barbe's for lunch three or four times a year, either with friends or with business clients. The restaurant delivers consistently good service and food, and at lunch time, is quiet enough to conduct business. My friends, clients, and I enjoy the ambiance and the food, especially the traditional couscous and lamb dishes.Special Features:
- Lovely discoveryhappyinnewyorkDined on 9/20/2014Charming Moroccan restaurant. The food was delicious. The service was very warm and welcoming. The restaurant is lovely. We were looking for Moroccan food and happened to read a review of Barbes. We were delighted with the food, the atmosphere, the surroundings, the charming waitress, and look forward to returning the next time we are in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyableStycksDined on 8/31/2014The food, service and ambience were first class. We were made to feel very welcome and for New York the price was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbesLion26KingVIPDined on 8/16/2014Get a seat by the window and have the Couscous, and pretend you're in Casablanca.Special Features:
- Bad experienceVad1Dined on 8/13/2014In details: The waiter forgot ordered drinks, salad came with hairs, steak was over-cooked, and smell next to the kitchen is terrible.
- Waiter using cell phones!nyny2Dined on 8/13/2014Waiter more interested in texting than taking care of business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you are looking for an interesting mid-town place, Barbes is a nice option. The watermelon-cucumber martini was very refreshing on a summer night. The manager was sweet and very accommodating with special requests. The hummus was okay, but my husband really enjoyed the traditional chicken couscous, and I thought the bronzini was perfectly prepared.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The Morrocan food, loved the cous-cous dishes. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Wonderful findPJSBDADined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent. The service was courteous. We had done a Google search for Moroccan food in NYC so took a chance which paid off. The lamb tagine was cooked to perfection; the lamb was so tender it fell apart with a forkI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and ambianceGratefulDined on 8/2/2014My first visit to Barbes will not be my last! The service was attentive without being intrusive. All questions answered happily by staff. My traditional couscous with lamb was simple and delicious. A nice meal in a lovely little restaurant for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Tasty food and a great location. But a tad noisy…the bane of Manhattan restaurants. Could barely hear my dinner partner at times.
- AAA+++CleoVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food, service, ambiance, management all outstanding as always!!!Special Features:
- Another great experienceBishbamVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was delicious, the service attentive, and prices are reasonable. Always a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBlakeArielDined on 7/11/2014Wonderful service, Delicious food. Very romantic. Best Hummus I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbesduvidessenDined on 7/10/2014As a Moroccan restaurant, Barbes serves French food with a north African accent. The salads are nothing special but the fish, the lamb dishes and the couscous are superb. You can start off with a great gin martini and drink a nice Moroccan red with your meal.Given the restaurant's location on 36 between Madison and Fifth avenues, it's more crowded at lunch than at dinner so reservations are a good idea.Special Features:
- The following 115 reviews are from the Barbes Restaurant reviews archive.
- Loved itBigDinNYCVIPDined on 6/21/2014We met for dinner at 11pm. The service was wonderful. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. We started with humus. It was a little bland, but I loved it. My sister did not. Branzino was delicious. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysBeard1Dined on 6/21/2014Food Never disappoints. duck confit appetizer outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningElisaSDined on 6/14/2014It was my second time eating at Barbes. It's a warm, attractive room with the perfect lighting, not too bright. The staff is attentive, the flavors of the food delicious and you have a large selection to choose from. We shared the Mediterranean salad and the roasted eggplant appetizer. I had the duck which unfortunately was tough and fatty, but the vegetables with it were delicious. My brother and the branzini and loved it and my husband had the lamb sausage - also wonderful. The atmosphere at Barbes is perfect for a lovely evening. I will return.Special Features:
- Consistently good Moroccan cuisinerikuniaku97Dined on 6/12/2014I used to dine at Barbes 10 years ago when I lived in Murray Hill. You can still enjoy today the same quality Moroccan standards, including several types of delicious and fresh appetizers (roasted eggplants, and a zesty tomato and green pepper salad known as taktouka),vegeterian and meat tagines / couscous and pastillas. Very nice and friendly Moroccan staff that reminds you of the friendly smiles in this beautiful country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check your bill!Dianet123VIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was uneven (1 excellent dish, a couple of OK plates and one appetizer that was so bad it was sent back), but the atmosphere was nice and normally we would not hesitate to go again. But when our party of 3 got the check, we noticed a 20% tip had automatically been added to our bill. There was no notification of this policy on the menu, and worse still the tip had been taxed. When we objected management corrected the bill. But it soured the whole experience and we wont be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014I have dined here twice. Food is OK, but nothing fabulous. The wait staff are very nice and service is good. I wish I could give it a better review.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was very good . The portions were more than enough, go hungry! No complaints at all, food was really good and you definitely get a lot to eat. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trusted friendPhDTigressVIPDined on 5/28/2014For several years Barbes has been one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. The menu offers authentic Moroccan specialties and, at lunch, American cuisine as well. The Mediterranean Salad is delicious and copious--a wonderful appetizer to share. The brochettes are also excellent. I had lunch there with a French friend who loved it. The manager, Aloum, is friendly and professional, and the young servers are pleasant and accommodating. The prices, including the wines by the glass, are very reasonable. Put Barbes on your must-dine-there list.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2014The food took too long to com end was overcooked. I thought it would be much better given the price and the reputation. Waiter service was too pushy trying to sell wine, etc.