19-21 East 36th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbesrestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126840215
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Bar: 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, African, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Barbes Restaurant
Barbes Restaurant is named after the famous Paris neighborhood at the foot of the Sacre-Coeur, also known as the 'little piece of North Africa'. The Northernmost part of Africa, the Maghreb, is comprised of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia with cultures captivating with their cuisine, music and decor. Barbes is a melting pot of Parisian and Maghreb cultures and Barbes Restaurant carries that spirit. 'Our restaurant strives to bring the atmosphere of Barbès here in New York. Through our menu and ambiance we aim to immerse our clientele in the unique colors, tastes and sounds of Barbes.'Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbes Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)good for groups (8)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Most enjoyableStycksDined on 8/31/2014The food, service and ambience were first class. We were made to feel very welcome and for New York the price was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbesLion26KingVIPDined on 8/16/2014Get a seat by the window and have the Couscous, and pretend you're in Casablanca.Special Features:
- Bad experienceVad1Dined on 8/13/2014In details: The waiter forgot ordered drinks, salad came with hairs, steak was over-cooked, and smell next to the kitchen is terrible.
- Waiter using cell phones!nyny2Dined on 8/13/2014Waiter more interested in texting than taking care of business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you are looking for an interesting mid-town place, Barbes is a nice option. The watermelon-cucumber martini was very refreshing on a summer night. The manager was sweet and very accommodating with special requests. The hummus was okay, but my husband really enjoyed the traditional chicken couscous, and I thought the bronzini was perfectly prepared.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The Morrocan food, loved the cous-cous dishes. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Wonderful findPJSBDADined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent. The service was courteous. We had done a Google search for Moroccan food in NYC so took a chance which paid off. The lamb tagine was cooked to perfection; the lamb was so tender it fell apart with a forkI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and ambianceGratefulDined on 8/2/2014My first visit to Barbes will not be my last! The service was attentive without being intrusive. All questions answered happily by staff. My traditional couscous with lamb was simple and delicious. A nice meal in a lovely little restaurant for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Tasty food and a great location. But a tad noisy…the bane of Manhattan restaurants. Could barely hear my dinner partner at times.
- AAA+++CleoVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food, service, ambiance, management all outstanding as always!!!Special Features:
- Another great experienceBishbamDined on 7/11/2014Food was delicious, the service attentive, and prices are reasonable. Always a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBlakeArielDined on 7/11/2014Wonderful service, Delicious food. Very romantic. Best Hummus I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbesduvidessenDined on 7/10/2014As a Moroccan restaurant, Barbes serves French food with a north African accent. The salads are nothing special but the fish, the lamb dishes and the couscous are superb. You can start off with a great gin martini and drink a nice Moroccan red with your meal.Given the restaurant's location on 36 between Madison and Fifth avenues, it's more crowded at lunch than at dinner so reservations are a good idea.Special Features:
- Loved itBigDinNYCVIPDined on 6/21/2014We met for dinner at 11pm. The service was wonderful. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. We started with humus. It was a little bland, but I loved it. My sister did not. Branzino was delicious. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysBeard1Dined on 6/21/2014Food Never disappoints. duck confit appetizer outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningElisaSDined on 6/14/2014It was my second time eating at Barbes. It's a warm, attractive room with the perfect lighting, not too bright. The staff is attentive, the flavors of the food delicious and you have a large selection to choose from. We shared the Mediterranean salad and the roasted eggplant appetizer. I had the duck which unfortunately was tough and fatty, but the vegetables with it were delicious. My brother and the branzini and loved it and my husband had the lamb sausage - also wonderful. The atmosphere at Barbes is perfect for a lovely evening. I will return.Special Features:
- Consistently good Moroccan cuisinerikuniaku97Dined on 6/12/2014I used to dine at Barbes 10 years ago when I lived in Murray Hill. You can still enjoy today the same quality Moroccan standards, including several types of delicious and fresh appetizers (roasted eggplants, and a zesty tomato and green pepper salad known as taktouka),vegeterian and meat tagines / couscous and pastillas. Very nice and friendly Moroccan staff that reminds you of the friendly smiles in this beautiful country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check your bill!Dianet123VIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was uneven (1 excellent dish, a couple of OK plates and one appetizer that was so bad it was sent back), but the atmosphere was nice and normally we would not hesitate to go again. But when our party of 3 got the check, we noticed a 20% tip had automatically been added to our bill. There was no notification of this policy on the menu, and worse still the tip had been taxed. When we objected management corrected the bill. But it soured the whole experience and we wont be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014I have dined here twice. Food is OK, but nothing fabulous. The wait staff are very nice and service is good. I wish I could give it a better review.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was very good . The portions were more than enough, go hungry! No complaints at all, food was really good and you definitely get a lot to eat. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trusted friendPhDTigressVIPDined on 5/28/2014For several years Barbes has been one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. The menu offers authentic Moroccan specialties and, at lunch, American cuisine as well. The Mediterranean Salad is delicious and copious--a wonderful appetizer to share. The brochettes are also excellent. I had lunch there with a French friend who loved it. The manager, Aloum, is friendly and professional, and the young servers are pleasant and accommodating. The prices, including the wines by the glass, are very reasonable. Put Barbes on your must-dine-there list.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2014The food took too long to com end was overcooked. I thought it would be much better given the price and the reputation. Waiter service was too pushy trying to sell wine, etc.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Barbes Restaurant reviews archive.
- Neighborhood gemSuzieqDined on 5/17/2014This small Morroccan restaurant in Midtown was a true find. Just six short blocks from Grand Central, it was the perfect place to meet a friend for lunch. I had the fish tangine which was excellent. It was full of fresh vegetables lemons and spices. The service was attentive and do ask for the typical Morroccan dessert made with rose water. It is to die for!Special Features:
- FairtsquaredDined on 5/16/2014Enjoyed our dinner certainly, but the food was only so so. Service was polite, but not particularly attentive.Special Features:
- Very Good FoodCynthiaDined on 5/15/2014We enjoyed our meal at Barbes. We each had a different Tagine dish and my fish was wonderful. We ordered coucous to go with it. The appetizers were also very good. While the server was very appropriate I felt the woman who took our order was cold, and a bit aggressive in wanting us to order more food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JillDined on 5/6/2014The food was very good. The servers were engaging and solicitous. The ambience is very old world and very nice. I have dined there before and it does not disappoint! A very nice evening.Special Features:
- BarbesktrubiesDined on 5/5/2014The food is great and the servers/manager are extremely accommodating! A great place for a Midtown work gathering.Special Features:
- 50% great/50% less soOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/30/2014For a party of four, two of our dishes were wonderful and delicious. (the lamb and fish) but the chicken and vegetable main course was not good at all. Very disappointing to those two diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super choice!PSPSVIPDined on 4/25/2014This delightful and authentic French- Moroccan bistro is a welcome addition to midtown. Lively atmosphere at lunch and close enough to the theater district for pre-show dinner. Service is very professional, friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Menu selection allows for a wide range of tastes. Chef was very accommodating regarding our dietary needs. Give it a try-you will be pleased!Special Features:
- Go to spotTomMVIPDined on 4/23/2014If we are in town for a night...Barbe's. if we are in town for a week...Barbe's is one night for sure. We love the aesthetic...and the French. Moroccan menu is just full of faves. Great Maitre'd...great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long-time friendPhDTigressVIPDined on 4/13/2014Barbes can always be counted on for a tasty meal at a very reasonable price served by attractive and courteous young people. For a starter my friend and I shared a delicious and copious Salade Mediterranee comprised of vegetarian offerings such as eggplant salad, red pepper puree, and hummus. For her main course my friend enjoyed a merguez brochette and I had a chicken and avocado sandwich accompanied by a huge basket of crispy French fries (allumette style) and fresh fruit. My friend and I agreed that Barbes serves real Moroccan food, not a facsimile thereof like some restaurants. My one criticism is that the decor is looking a bit worn and shabby and the restaurant could use some sprucing up.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014We were our if town and staying at a hotel nearby. We wanted a place where we could feel like locals and get great food and Barbes was a good choice. It's really small, but I thought that was cool. Moroccan mint tea was really good, hummus excellent, and mussels really good too. We got chicken and fish tangine and it was good too. It's a tight squeeze so be prepared to be in close quarters with other people. Waitstaff was nice, but we noticed our waitress being kind of mean to another server who could hardly understand English. That was a little odd, but everyone was friendly to us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Nice AtmosphereNYCRestDined on 4/1/2014I had the Chicken Kabob, not bad and everyone I was with seemed to enjoy the food. The waitress was very good and if she was not around someone else jumped in to help....great service.Special Features:
- The restaurant is cozy (ieSherylVIPDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant is cozy (ie tables crowded together) and the service was friendly (seemed like almost everyone who worked there stopped by our table at some point to see if we were enjoying our meal). Some of the food was very good (chicken/lemon tagine, chicken with almonds, lamb special) and some was really just so-so (shrimp tasted like iodine and were overcooked; couscous royale was mostly cabbage and carrots with 2 sausage on top).
- Excellent Mediterranean cuisinelovethefoodDined on 3/26/2014We have eaten at Barbes several times for dinner. The food is always excellent but the noise level is an issue. My husband and I have dinner together but do not invite friends to join us since they complained about the noise. Frankly, it does not bother us. So for a luncheon with girlfriends it is ideal since the noise level was OK and we all had a very good time. The service is gracious and unhurried (the restaurant was full and people were waiting for a table). We spent 2 hours and no one rushed us. It is our one of our favorite restaurants and we will come back.Special Features:
- Decent Mediterranean foodSbiscuitDined on 3/25/2014Went here for a business lunch. The food was decent--rather undersalted and I would have liked more favors to be infused in the dishes (spices, etc). The waitress was a little overeager but clearly new and very sweet. The dishes are hearty and the portions generous. Oh, and the pita and hummus are to die for, the hummus is so creamy! All in all a solid meal and for a business lunch I would probably go back.Special Features:
- Out of the ordinary cuisineJoanVIPDined on 3/24/2014Moroccan tagine held lightly spiced lamb, vegetables, and coucous. Superb humus & pita. Wonderful mint tea. Barbes is very popular with every table occupied on a Monday evening. Tables are close together. Solicitous staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014Great neighborhood spot, friendly staff. Food was Good, but not great, mussels were disappointing but the hummus Was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm exotic setting for good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2014Barbes has reliably good renderings of Franco-Moroccan food--not always the most authentic, but everyone will find something very tasty for lunch. Elegant and cozy Moroccan decor and friendly service make this a great place for tete-a-tetes.Special Features:
- Sumptuous foodredsugarplumVIPDined on 3/15/2014The good food paired with the cocktails, attentive service and great music really set the tone for this restaurant becoming one of my optimal choices.Special Features: