1341 Butterfield Rd.
Downers Grove, IL 60515Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://barbakoa.com/
- Phone: 6308522333x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 a.m – 12 a.m.
Friday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Saturday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 12 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Dudley Nieto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Barbakoa Hosts Live Music Series Featuring DJ Jonathan Marks. Join us this Friday as we host our first Live Music Series featuring renowned DJ Jonathan Marks. Get lucky this Friday the 13th with Marks as he spices up the night with a mix of soul, funk and pop!
A word from Barbakoa
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Barbakoa - Best Restaurants in Downers Grove ›
Barbakoa reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (79)fit for foodies (63)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (46)vibrant bar scene (44)great for lunch (36)hot spot (31)late-night find (26)great for brunch (26)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (15)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great for groupsGigi419Dined on 9/26/2014We went for a sister's birthday with a group and had a great time. The ambiance was modern yet warm and comfortable. We ordered from the tasting menu and three additional meat plates and thought it worked well so that everyone got to taste many different flavors. The short ribs and homemade tortillas were awesome! The best was the service! Ask for Oscar! We wanted to be indoors but next time we agreed we'd sit outside near the fireplace - fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City-esqueAngelaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great cocktail list, fun music after dinner hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern Latin won't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Great place for a date and the food, drinks and service won't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodJerry33Dined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here three times; this time it was lunch with clients. Each time was excellent. Very flavorful.Special Features:
- Wah wahYvonneVIPDined on 9/24/2014So many things seemed off at Barbakoa... The hostess was MIA and a gaggle of folks were clustered by the door. She showed up and seemed completely pulled in too many directions - so many that she did not seem happy. She did not smile, acknowledge our wait, or set a positive tone for Barbakoa. The decor was vibrant and the atmosphere was boisterous. It was loud and at least three flat screen TVs were around with shows and games. I was at a high table but the bench was too far away. It was cumbersome for me to move it myself. The service was okay. My server (Hector) and the manager both helped me out. A couple other servers chipped in too! It was great teamwork. Food was good and I even got to meet the chef!Special Features:
- IslandChicGolferGirlVIPDined on 9/20/2014Fun filed atmosphere! Great food and dancing. Perfect!Special Features:
- 1st anniversary at BarbakoaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary at Barbakoa last weekend and loved it! The service was fantastic and the shared menu was outstanding. We had such a wonderful time and plan to take friends there in the next week or so. Can't wait to go back!
- Barbakoa is funDiner100Dined on 9/20/2014Barbakoa is fun and adds interest to the dining experience of a larger group by making a tasting menu available so that you can load up on different dishes and all enjoy a variety of food. We were able to pick two salsa, two guacomoles, four tacos from the varieties on the menu. We also got an included tasting of the desserts. Worth a try, although it is rather noisy, so beware.Special Features:
- Muy Sabroso!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We had a great time! We were celebrating my daughter's birthday--our party included three adults and two children ages 9 and 8. The ambiance was dramatic and welcoming (not cold and sterile like some other restaurants) with lots of art on the walls and cushy banquettes that the kids loved. We had really good service and the food was very tasty and creatively presented by Chef Dudley Nieto. We liked the idea of small plates, like tapas, to share. The kids almost fainted at the sight of the dessert board! Overall. we were all very satisfied with our experience. We will definitely come back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayAngelEyesDined on 9/19/2014Barbakoa missed the mark on my of its dishes. The chicken platos lacked flavor. The steak tamales were very tasty. The guacamole was just okay. I think Whole Foods may have a better one. The strawberry Sangarita however was great. It was a nice size. The flourless chocolate cake was the best dessert I've tasted in a while. Go here with friends who want drinks and some snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyDebiDined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious, but it is tapas style so you get very little portions for a lot of money. We ordered the UNO menu as a group of four. Although it sounded like a lot of food, it was not. The guacamole was very tasty, but four adults had to share about 3/4 of a cup of two different versions. The salsa came in liquid form and again four adults had to share about 2 tablespoons of each. Although tasty, I would not return.Special Features:
- Great girl's night out!LoveofFoodDined on 9/18/2014Ideal spot for good mixed drinks. Thurs night $6 marguerites with a variety of flavor choices - very good! We did the sampling dinner number two. This is a great way to try a variety of items. Great giac and salsas. The civecha was ok and tacos came in a great variety of choices. We had carne asada chicken, short rib and fish. The fish taco was my least favorite, the slaw was a bit over dressed for my liking. The dessert sampler was delicious and a great way to try many different small bites. We all agreed we would go back. Our waiter was an absolute delight and very attentive and willing to give several recommendations, all which were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!JohnDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding menu, tacos are awesome. Service was friendly, casual and attentive. It's on the list of favoritesSpecial Features:
- AwesomeNiaLDined on 9/5/2014Luis was our server. He was beyond awesome. Was my first time here. This is the former Buona Beef that was our family beef place. The guacamole was awesome. The paella was superior. Great atmosphere and food preparation. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereLuvs2eatDined on 8/30/2014This is my second visit. I chose it for my birthday dinner because I love the decor. We had great service on a busy Saturday night. We chose the sharing menu and it worked out great for 8 people. The sangrias were delicious, so were the shrimp, short rib, and carne asada tacos. Nice big tables and comfy chairs. No cramped feeling here. Not as loud as most restaurants these days! Friendly staff. Love the bar area. Beautiful outdoor seating and Latin dancing on Sat nite.Special Features:
- Nice look and service, Food=mehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Contrary to many yelp reviews, we found the service good. The menu was very interesting (good). The atmosphere was nice. The portions were adequate. Unfortunately, the bill felt high for the quality/taste of the meal. ($35 per plate without drinks) I would really like to come back here as the "feel" was good, but would like to see improvements to the guacamole (very plain), asada [cooked nicely, but tasted burnt [possibly a dirty grill?)], and desserts (plain). The paella was nice, but not outstanding.
- mmrfVIPDined on 8/29/2014Asked server to wrap-up 2 tacos. 1 was face up, the other face down. Also, runners don't pick-up empty plates. I was told bussers do that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frustrating experiencebeourguest14Dined on 8/23/2014This was my fourth visit to Barbakoa since April. Each time, I've visited with large groups of diners and every time and we've always enjoyed the food. This time, again with a large group of diners, the service was horrible--our server was friendly, however, service was extremely slow and there was poor communication with no explanation for the delay in service. My group ordered drinks and the Tasting Uno at 7:30. It was after 8 before we were served anything and that was after I complained to the manager. One person in our party had to wait several minutes for a replacement fork and had to sit and watch the rest of us eat. I didn't give one star thanks to the tasty food and the fact that the manager comped us our drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.EdomexDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food, service and drinks. Really enjoyed the music too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas style foodSs1975Dined on 8/21/2014Salsa and chips are good. Also had the guac! Corn good as well. Good place for business lunch or a date. Sides were a little pricey. Great service though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't that greatTMasseyDined on 8/20/2014Very strange menu, food wasn't too good, server was nice but overall I wouldn't recommend this place. Too many other good options in DG
- Brunch at BarbakoaTravelingfoodiesDined on 8/17/2014Nice variety on brunch menu. Waiter recommended the strawberry mojito. It was beautiful, not overly sweet, and delicious!Special Features:
- Great all aroundTagsjrDined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service, great drinks, great atmosphere!! Prices were great for the portions. Nice mix of tapas and regular mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will eat here again.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Really wonderful spot for brunch. Food and service were both excellent.Special Features:
- we love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We love this place, the food is delicious and the menu options are great. The only downside is...that all the times I go the host was rude and didn't seem to notice us when we walked in. She kinda just sent us off to the bar without asking if we had a reservation or at least a welcome. Over all the restaurant itself Is awesome and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and EntertainingDwpLjpVIPDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding unique drinks, amazing tequila list, fun interesting food and great service.
- Good food good priceJimmyDined on 8/6/2014Nice and laid back atmosphere. The food overall was very good. Loved the guacamole and their BPA beer (an IPA brewed just for them by Two Brothers) The salsas we ok nothing really special. We had the steak, duck, pork, and chicken tacos and they were all delicious. For desert we had a tasting of five different ones three of the five were a hit and two didn't really do it for us. One was a chocolate flan with popcorn and the other something strawberry, however the other three were great. Overall the atmosphere, quality of the food was well worth the price. Dinner for two including alcohol was very well priced at $62.28.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014the restaurant was really loud that i could not hear the person across from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ServiceTooMuchDined on 8/2/2014The food seemed to come out much quicker than we would have liked. However, it may have only seemed like this because the serving platters were huge, and took up massive amounts of space on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Aleays a great experience.... we keep returning....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Delicious and Modernluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014This was a birthday dinner and we never had a latin food experience. We decided to try to "dos" option and the server helped us with our selections. The food and tacos were fantastic!Special Features:
- awesomeaduranDined on 7/27/2014I love the food and it's priced accordingly. Great drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wewillbebackDined on 7/26/2014We had wonderful food and a great server Jason S. One of the group was handicapped and he and other employees helped clear the way out for us..truly remarkable. Did I mention the food was great ? We enjoyed every entree order and the guacs were awesum !! We'll be back, for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time Great Food!nibblescookiesDined on 7/19/2014Beautiful colorful restaurant! Food choices we had were delicious! Unusual menu, different spin on Latino fare. Has different types of guacamole, ceviche and salsas to choose from! From tacos to full entrees a new spin on some of the typical Mexican/tapas choices. We met on a Saturday night, DJ was spinning Latino dance tunes and the dancing was in full swing! When we left people were still arriving! Have eaten there during the day, of course quieter but still had a very enjoyable experience! Will be back!Special Features:
- Amazing Tequila ListDwpLjpVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great service with delicious food and a tequila list about 5 pages long. Total fun.
- Great location, food, bar, decorPupaVIPDined on 7/13/2014First time here and the selection was very good and the meal tasted very good. Looking forward to going back. The decor is wonderful and they have a great bar area and music on Fridays and SaturdaysSpecial Features:
- surprisingly goodclimgirlDined on 7/12/2014Came here with a group on and was pleasantly surprised. The guacamole was interesting and tasty our entrees also quite good. The cerviches were excellent. The price point was a little high I thought but the quality of the food is the reason I am sure. Service was attentive and knowledgeable and friendly. Really a great place especially considering that is is in a sea of cookie cutter restaurants, this stands apart. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING NEIGHBORHOOD FIND !!FoodieQueenDined on 7/11/2014I loved this place it was my first time here, and everything was GREAT , the only draw back i had was although i know it is tapas style , i just wish i had more food , and the dessert portions were way to small for me . Other than that everything was GREAT !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan-tasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We come here once a month and it is always a wonderful experience! We try new food each time we come in and it is fantastic. Never too hot or cold just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbakoa-Latin Fusion at its finestRalphDined on 7/8/2014The selection of food and drinks is vast and varied. The recipes are a wonderful combination of various Latin tastes and everything we had was spectacular. The portions are served Tapas style and there's plenty to go around. If you want a taste of what real Latin American food is like, Barbakoa is a must visit. Loved everything about it! Can't wait to go back.Special Features: