1341 Butterfield Rd.
Downers Grove, IL 60515Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://barbakoa.com/
- Phone: (630) 852-2333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 a.m – 12 a.m.
Friday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Saturday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 12 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Dudley Nieto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Barbakoa Hosts Live Music Series Featuring DJ Jonathan Marks. Join us this Friday as we host our first Live Music Series featuring renowned DJ Jonathan Marks. Get lucky this Friday the 13th with Marks as he spices up the night with a mix of soul, funk and pop!
A word from Barbakoa
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Barbakoa - Best Restaurants in Downers Grove ›
Barbakoa reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (69)fit for foodies (61)vibrant bar scene (51)special occasion (36)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (32)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (18)great for brunch (16)romantic (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Fun and Energetic RestarauntMaxineDined on 11/18/2014My son and I tried this restaurant for the first time last Tuesday. We were very pleased and have already talked about returning with friends. The ambiance is fun. They have a great variety of drinks, and every dish we tried was good. Our favorite was the braised short rib tacos. Our waiter Ricardo contributed to the overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The server Chris was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2014Good was delicious looking forward in coming back to try more itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visitdrkjDined on 11/15/2014Had an excellent visit to Barbacoa and plan to return soon. Nice bar and overall decor. Food was upscale Latin and very tasty. Tapas style service allowed us to each try a little of everything. Our waitress was somewhat helpful in picking our some food options. Deserts were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Selections of FoodSLHedbergDined on 11/9/2014The restaurant is very colorful, full of great decorations. The food list is very different of choices, ceviches, tamales, tacos. Lots to pick from We choose scallop ceviche and torta sliders, both very good. If you like margaritas, then order the house margaritas on the rocks. Excellent made with the tequila taste of right amount. Friendly staff, reasonable prices. Go during happy hour times, best deals.Special Features:
- Food was not goodFoodie23Dined on 11/2/2014Food tasted like it was refrigerated for days. Place wasn't busy but server took forever to take our order. It was terrible! Very disappointing because it looked like a great place to eat.
- Excellent TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We had the guacamole and Tacos, they were delicious and the drinks were great too! Excellent restaurant to go to!
- DelishyummoVIPDined on 11/1/2014Barbakoa's sangria's are the BEST! I'm not that big of a sangria person, which is why I have to emphasize this so much. Must try! And, our server was pretty awesome as well.Special Features:
- Decent Food, High PricesSaraDined on 10/28/2014Barbakoa has a GREAT interior look and feel, great service, but the food is a bit overpriced. It is passed off as high end latin cuisine, but even though the food is presented nicely, the actual ingredients used and flavors are not high end. At prices similar to a higher quality steakhouse it's not for everyone.
- Great experienceLoriDined on 10/27/2014The food, wine & service was excellent. Will definitely go back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Barbakoa was delicious! A very romantic and trendy setting. Perfect for date night!Special Features:
- Small plates with Big flavor!BennieDined on 10/24/2014This is a great spot for unique and flavorful foods. The tequila menu was immense, boasting over 100 different tequilas. The four different salsas and variety of guacamole choices were a great start to our meal. The tacos were full of flavor and were presented with style in mind! Save room for dessert! You'll want to sample them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "BarbaWOWananbobDined on 10/24/2014We met up with friends who had not tried Barbakoa. We enjoyed a variety of tapas style meals. The mini tacos with scallops, carne asada, chicken. The guacamole is prepared fresh. Nice variety and spiciness in guacamole and the salsas offered. One of our group tried the butternut squash soup. The soup was outstanding with a creamy texture and seasoned well, perfect for a cool autumn evening. Service was good. We will definitely come back to Barbakoa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no credit for my open table pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/23/2014they did not give me credit for my open table pointsSpecial Features:
- Above AverageMsPrudieDined on 10/23/2014There was some confusion on the menu choices for the Chefs Tasting Menu, but it was rectified immediately in a gracious manner. The food was great, great salsa, guacamole (you have different kinds!) great Ceviche. I loved, loved the mahi mahi and shrimp tacos, the chicken and beef..ehh. Overall very nice. Will come again.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the tasting menusMBkkpVIPDined on 10/21/2014Try the Margaritas!!! Guac has changed but salsas were good! Loved fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 10/19/2014Very wonderful Latin Infusion style restaurant very similar to Carnivale. Very delicious cuisine at very reasonable prices. The atmosphere was very laid back and it wasn't too noisy which made it very convenient for a date. I would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014huge menu and lots of great small plate selectionsSpecial Features:
- goodfoodgoodtimesDined on 10/18/2014I thought the food was very good. The service was outstanding. Our waiter was great. I just thought that is was very pricey.Special Features:
- MarcmarcDined on 10/18/2014This was a nice restaurant, the food was good overall. The short ribs, were very sweet, to the point of distraction.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitergntwDined on 10/17/2014Had never been her before so told Kris our waiter to order our dinner for us. Food he chose was all excellent. Prices were great and we had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- One word...WowSweetlu24Dined on 10/16/2014This is officially my favorite new restaurant, I just can't believe it's been around almost a year before I finally had a chance to try it! They have a very interesting menu and I especially loved that they had a tasting menu so we could try just about everything on the menu! The waiter was wonderful in making suggestions for our tastings and I enjoyed just about everything we tried (but especially the pork bibal tacos). They had a special on house margaritas the night we were there and they were perfect-not too sweet and just strong enough! At the end of the meal they came out with a dessert tray, which I thought we were supposed to pick from, but you get to try all of the desserts-all which were creative and equally delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNABluvtoeatVIPDined on 10/13/2014I've been to Barbakoa twice in two weeks. I just love it! The food is really really good and the options are outstanding. Some of my favorites are the Carne Asada taco's and the Baja taco's. The steak is so tender and flavorful and the chipotle slaw on the baja's taco's is fantastic. The week day Happy Hour is a great deal with $5 apps until 7:00pm. You can try so many things and they have numerous options. The cocktails are great as well. Love the charred pineapple sangria and the strawberry mojito, yes please. We will be back many times!Special Features:
- Delicious brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Great flavors, chic decor. Visited for brunch, plan to go back for dinner/drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014the food and the service were excellent, my only complaint was having to pay $5 for valet parking due to their bad parking lot design and the number of spaces reserved for valetSpecial Features:
- Over Rateddiner7Dined on 10/11/2014Plain and simple ..Overpriced food that was nothing special . Walked away hungry and 80 $ poorer..mind you that was for 2 people.Special Features:
- pdittypdittyDined on 10/10/2014TOO noisy... TOO expensive for cocktails!!!..... Dinner for 6 was $450.00 FOR TACOS !!!!Special Features:
- A true gemSunnydVIPDined on 10/8/2014My friends and I had an awesome night. The food was amazing and our waiter Kris was fabulous. He made so many suggestions and he was spot on with each of them. The decor immediately puts you in lively and happy mood! Definately coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonHondo51Dined on 10/3/2014Our server Oscar was thoughtful, attentive and a lot of fun. The food was consistently delicious. Our group of 3 couples shared dishes to get a sense of the huge menu. And the Margharitas were almost too good. One side note - they can make tacos with lettuce wraps rather than tortilla which is great for those who can't tolerate gluten. Overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great creative menuOutandAboutVIPDined on 10/3/2014Third time there and the food and service deliver. Creative and fresh Latin inspirations! So yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and foodMattGDined on 10/3/2014Went on a date with the GF here, truly had a great time. We mentioned this was a special day, and Barbakoa took care of us without a doubt. We had the salsa trio, queso fundido, and four tacos (shrimp and fish). Throw in a couple of cocktails, and our night was perfect. Our waiter offered up his sincere suggestions (not the most expensive items on the menu, mind you) and gave us space to enjoy our evening. We were seated right away with our reservation, and honestly had a great time just enjoying the food, the atmosphere, and each other. I would highly suggest this place to anyone who enjoys Latin themed food at all. We look forward to heading back in the near future to enjoy more of the menu.Special Features:
- Great for Drinks and AppsMimiVIPDined on 10/2/2014The bar scene is hot with fun drinks and great appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJRMEJDined on 10/2/2014Food was very good and the wait staff really helped out with making selections / suggestions all of which turned out to be delicious decisions. A little noisy and sometimes difficult to hold a conversation but otherwise we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsGigi419Dined on 9/26/2014We went for a sister's birthday with a group and had a great time. The ambiance was modern yet warm and comfortable. We ordered from the tasting menu and three additional meat plates and thought it worked well so that everyone got to taste many different flavors. The short ribs and homemade tortillas were awesome! The best was the service! Ask for Oscar! We wanted to be indoors but next time we agreed we'd sit outside near the fireplace - fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City-esqueAngelaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great cocktail list, fun music after dinner hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern Latin won't disappointAwesomeTimeDined on 9/26/2014Great place for a date and the food, drinks and service won't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodJerry33Dined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here three times; this time it was lunch with clients. Each time was excellent. Very flavorful.Special Features:
- Wah wahYvonneVIPDined on 9/24/2014So many things seemed off at Barbakoa... The hostess was MIA and a gaggle of folks were clustered by the door. She showed up and seemed completely pulled in too many directions - so many that she did not seem happy. She did not smile, acknowledge our wait, or set a positive tone for Barbakoa. The decor was vibrant and the atmosphere was boisterous. It was loud and at least three flat screen TVs were around with shows and games. I was at a high table but the bench was too far away. It was cumbersome for me to move it myself. The service was okay. My server (Hector) and the manager both helped me out. A couple other servers chipped in too! It was great teamwork. Food was good and I even got to meet the chef!Special Features:
- IslandChicGolferGirlVIPDined on 9/20/2014Fun filed atmosphere! Great food and dancing. Perfect!Special Features:
- 1st anniversary at BarbakoaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary at Barbakoa last weekend and loved it! The service was fantastic and the shared menu was outstanding. We had such a wonderful time and plan to take friends there in the next week or so. Can't wait to go back!
- Barbakoa is funDiner100Dined on 9/20/2014Barbakoa is fun and adds interest to the dining experience of a larger group by making a tasting menu available so that you can load up on different dishes and all enjoy a variety of food. We were able to pick two salsa, two guacomoles, four tacos from the varieties on the menu. We also got an included tasting of the desserts. Worth a try, although it is rather noisy, so beware.Special Features: