1341 Butterfield Rd.
Downers Grove, IL 60515Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://barbakoa.com/
- Phone: 6308522333x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 a.m – 12 a.m.
Friday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Saturday 11:30 a.m – 1 a.m.
Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 12 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Dudley Nieto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: Barbakoa Hosts Live Music Series Featuring DJ Jonathan Marks. Join us this Friday as we host our first Live Music Series featuring renowned DJ Jonathan Marks. Get lucky this Friday the 13th with Marks as he spices up the night with a mix of soul, funk and pop!
A word from Barbakoa
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Barbakoa - Best Restaurants in Downers Grove ›
Barbakoa reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (78)fit for foodies (63)vibrant bar scene (52)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (45)great for lunch (33)hot spot (31)late-night find (25)great for brunch (22)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (12)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Enjoyed the tasting menusMBkkpVIPDined on 10/21/2014Try the Margaritas!!! Guac has changed but salsas were good! Loved fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014huge menu and lots of great small plate selectionsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014I thought the food was very good. The service was outstanding. Our waiter was great. I just thought that is was very pricey.Special Features:
- MarcmarcDined on 10/18/2014This was a nice restaurant, the food was good overall. The short ribs, were very sweet, to the point of distraction.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitergntwDined on 10/17/2014Had never been her before so told Kris our waiter to order our dinner for us. Food he chose was all excellent. Prices were great and we had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- Love this placeNABluvtoeatVIPDined on 10/13/2014I've been to Barbakoa twice in two weeks. I just love it! The food is really really good and the options are outstanding. Some of my favorites are the Carne Asada taco's and the Baja taco's. The steak is so tender and flavorful and the chipotle slaw on the baja's taco's is fantastic. The week day Happy Hour is a great deal with $5 apps until 7:00pm. You can try so many things and they have numerous options. The cocktails are great as well. Love the charred pineapple sangria and the strawberry mojito, yes please. We will be back many times!Special Features:
- Delicious brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Great flavors, chic decor. Visited for brunch, plan to go back for dinner/drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014the food and the service were excellent, my only complaint was having to pay $5 for valet parking due to their bad parking lot design and the number of spaces reserved for valetSpecial Features:
- Over Rateddiner7Dined on 10/11/2014Plain and simple ..Overpriced food that was nothing special . Walked away hungry and 80 $ poorer..mind you that was for 2 people.Special Features:
- pdittypdittyDined on 10/10/2014TOO noisy... TOO expensive for cocktails!!!..... Dinner for 6 was $450.00 FOR TACOS !!!!Special Features:
- A true gemSunnydVIPDined on 10/8/2014My friends and I had an awesome night. The food was amazing and our waiter Kris was fabulous. He made so many suggestions and he was spot on with each of them. The decor immediately puts you in lively and happy mood! Definately coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonHondo51Dined on 10/3/2014Our server Oscar was thoughtful, attentive and a lot of fun. The food was consistently delicious. Our group of 3 couples shared dishes to get a sense of the huge menu. And the Margharitas were almost too good. One side note - they can make tacos with lettuce wraps rather than tortilla which is great for those who can't tolerate gluten. Overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great creative menuOutandAboutVIPDined on 10/3/2014Third time there and the food and service deliver. Creative and fresh Latin inspirations! So yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and foodMattGDined on 10/3/2014Went on a date with the GF here, truly had a great time. We mentioned this was a special day, and Barbakoa took care of us without a doubt. We had the salsa trio, queso fundido, and four tacos (shrimp and fish). Throw in a couple of cocktails, and our night was perfect. Our waiter offered up his sincere suggestions (not the most expensive items on the menu, mind you) and gave us space to enjoy our evening. We were seated right away with our reservation, and honestly had a great time just enjoying the food, the atmosphere, and each other. I would highly suggest this place to anyone who enjoys Latin themed food at all. We look forward to heading back in the near future to enjoy more of the menu.Special Features:
- Great for Drinks and AppsMimiVIPDined on 10/2/2014The bar scene is hot with fun drinks and great appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJRMEJDined on 10/2/2014Food was very good and the wait staff really helped out with making selections / suggestions all of which turned out to be delicious decisions. A little noisy and sometimes difficult to hold a conversation but otherwise we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsGigi419Dined on 9/26/2014We went for a sister's birthday with a group and had a great time. The ambiance was modern yet warm and comfortable. We ordered from the tasting menu and three additional meat plates and thought it worked well so that everyone got to taste many different flavors. The short ribs and homemade tortillas were awesome! The best was the service! Ask for Oscar! We wanted to be indoors but next time we agreed we'd sit outside near the fireplace - fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City-esqueAngelaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great cocktail list, fun music after dinner hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern Latin won't disappointAwesomeTimeDined on 9/26/2014Great place for a date and the food, drinks and service won't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodJerry33Dined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here three times; this time it was lunch with clients. Each time was excellent. Very flavorful.Special Features:
- Wah wahYvonneVIPDined on 9/24/2014So many things seemed off at Barbakoa... The hostess was MIA and a gaggle of folks were clustered by the door. She showed up and seemed completely pulled in too many directions - so many that she did not seem happy. She did not smile, acknowledge our wait, or set a positive tone for Barbakoa. The decor was vibrant and the atmosphere was boisterous. It was loud and at least three flat screen TVs were around with shows and games. I was at a high table but the bench was too far away. It was cumbersome for me to move it myself. The service was okay. My server (Hector) and the manager both helped me out. A couple other servers chipped in too! It was great teamwork. Food was good and I even got to meet the chef!Special Features:
- IslandChicGolferGirlVIPDined on 9/20/2014Fun filed atmosphere! Great food and dancing. Perfect!Special Features:
- 1st anniversary at BarbakoaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary at Barbakoa last weekend and loved it! The service was fantastic and the shared menu was outstanding. We had such a wonderful time and plan to take friends there in the next week or so. Can't wait to go back!
- Barbakoa is funDiner100Dined on 9/20/2014Barbakoa is fun and adds interest to the dining experience of a larger group by making a tasting menu available so that you can load up on different dishes and all enjoy a variety of food. We were able to pick two salsa, two guacomoles, four tacos from the varieties on the menu. We also got an included tasting of the desserts. Worth a try, although it is rather noisy, so beware.Special Features:
- Muy Sabroso!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We had a great time! We were celebrating my daughter's birthday--our party included three adults and two children ages 9 and 8. The ambiance was dramatic and welcoming (not cold and sterile like some other restaurants) with lots of art on the walls and cushy banquettes that the kids loved. We had really good service and the food was very tasty and creatively presented by Chef Dudley Nieto. We liked the idea of small plates, like tapas, to share. The kids almost fainted at the sight of the dessert board! Overall. we were all very satisfied with our experience. We will definitely come back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayAngelEyesDined on 9/19/2014Barbakoa missed the mark on my of its dishes. The chicken platos lacked flavor. The steak tamales were very tasty. The guacamole was just okay. I think Whole Foods may have a better one. The strawberry Sangarita however was great. It was a nice size. The flourless chocolate cake was the best dessert I've tasted in a while. Go here with friends who want drinks and some snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyDebiDined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious, but it is tapas style so you get very little portions for a lot of money. We ordered the UNO menu as a group of four. Although it sounded like a lot of food, it was not. The guacamole was very tasty, but four adults had to share about 3/4 of a cup of two different versions. The salsa came in liquid form and again four adults had to share about 2 tablespoons of each. Although tasty, I would not return.Special Features:
- Great girl's night out!LoveofFoodDined on 9/18/2014Ideal spot for good mixed drinks. Thurs night $6 marguerites with a variety of flavor choices - very good! We did the sampling dinner number two. This is a great way to try a variety of items. Great giac and salsas. The civecha was ok and tacos came in a great variety of choices. We had carne asada chicken, short rib and fish. The fish taco was my least favorite, the slaw was a bit over dressed for my liking. The dessert sampler was delicious and a great way to try many different small bites. We all agreed we would go back. Our waiter was an absolute delight and very attentive and willing to give several recommendations, all which were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!JohnDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding menu, tacos are awesome. Service was friendly, casual and attentive. It's on the list of favoritesSpecial Features:
- AwesomeNiaLDined on 9/5/2014Luis was our server. He was beyond awesome. Was my first time here. This is the former Buona Beef that was our family beef place. The guacamole was awesome. The paella was superior. Great atmosphere and food preparation. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereLuvs2eatDined on 8/30/2014This is my second visit. I chose it for my birthday dinner because I love the decor. We had great service on a busy Saturday night. We chose the sharing menu and it worked out great for 8 people. The sangrias were delicious, so were the shrimp, short rib, and carne asada tacos. Nice big tables and comfy chairs. No cramped feeling here. Not as loud as most restaurants these days! Friendly staff. Love the bar area. Beautiful outdoor seating and Latin dancing on Sat nite.Special Features:
- Nice look and service, Food=mehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Contrary to many yelp reviews, we found the service good. The menu was very interesting (good). The atmosphere was nice. The portions were adequate. Unfortunately, the bill felt high for the quality/taste of the meal. ($35 per plate without drinks) I would really like to come back here as the "feel" was good, but would like to see improvements to the guacamole (very plain), asada [cooked nicely, but tasted burnt [possibly a dirty grill?)], and desserts (plain). The paella was nice, but not outstanding.
- mmrfVIPDined on 8/29/2014Asked server to wrap-up 2 tacos. 1 was face up, the other face down. Also, runners don't pick-up empty plates. I was told bussers do that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frustrating experiencebeourguest14Dined on 8/23/2014This was my fourth visit to Barbakoa since April. Each time, I've visited with large groups of diners and every time and we've always enjoyed the food. This time, again with a large group of diners, the service was horrible--our server was friendly, however, service was extremely slow and there was poor communication with no explanation for the delay in service. My group ordered drinks and the Tasting Uno at 7:30. It was after 8 before we were served anything and that was after I complained to the manager. One person in our party had to wait several minutes for a replacement fork and had to sit and watch the rest of us eat. I didn't give one star thanks to the tasty food and the fact that the manager comped us our drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.EdomexDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food, service and drinks. Really enjoyed the music too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas style foodSs1975Dined on 8/21/2014Salsa and chips are good. Also had the guac! Corn good as well. Good place for business lunch or a date. Sides were a little pricey. Great service though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't that greatTMasseyDined on 8/20/2014Very strange menu, food wasn't too good, server was nice but overall I wouldn't recommend this place. Too many other good options in DG
- Brunch at BarbakoaTravelingfoodiesDined on 8/17/2014Nice variety on brunch menu. Waiter recommended the strawberry mojito. It was beautiful, not overly sweet, and delicious!Special Features:
- Great all aroundTagsjrDined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service, great drinks, great atmosphere!! Prices were great for the portions. Nice mix of tapas and regular mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will eat here again.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Really wonderful spot for brunch. Food and service were both excellent.Special Features: