200 Lenox Ave
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barawine.com/
- Phone: (646) 756-4154
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christophe Bonnegrace
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available for all occasions.
- Entertainment: DJ Antoine DeBrill Every Friday & Saturday night.
DJ Ernesto every Sunday Afternoon.
- Special Events: Bottomless Mimosas
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 11:30 Am - 4:00 Pm
$15.00 Bottomless Mimosa with your brunch entree
A word from Barawine
Barawine is a neighborhood restaurant in the Mt. Morris Historic District in Harlem. We serve a full menu that features something for everyone; we also offer vegan and gluten free choices. Our wine list features 40 wines by the glass and over 200 wines by the bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench American
Barawine - Best Restaurants in Harlem ›
Barawine reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BarawinemnbnycVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is a very pleasant place to eat in Harlem. The French proprietor is very attentive and runs a tight ship. The staff are great and service is very good even when the restaurant is crowded. The food is well-cooked and presented and very tasty. The menu is not too extensive but what is on offer is good. We would certainly return here even though we live way downtown.Special Features:
- Faiza, thank youzperez6823Dined on 10/23/2014Birthday party for seven. Everyone agreed their dish was delicious, I had the Duck Breast which was perfectly cooked, the sauce complimented the dish and enough to satisfy this hungry customer. Our only negative comment was the delay in serving the food, but made it up in the taste. Kudos to the chef, to the servers, our bartender (sorry I did not get her name) but specially to Faiza, thank you for making our birthday celebration a beautiful evening. Blessing, to you!Special Features:
- yumBKfoodieDined on 10/23/2014On a Thursday night I had the branzino for $26. Good size. Perfectly cooked, crispy skin, flaky flesh with olives, balsamic reduction, asparagus. My friend had the risotto, it was very filling. She loved the creme brulee. I had the chocolate lava cake, very good. Excellent service. But the wine list is soooo good. We split the Abbaye des Monges " Augustine" from Languedoc, France for $40. I was having difficulty sharing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and finefoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014My guests were very late and the server could not have been more solicitous and kind. Service was excellent and food very very good. A little noisy but I understand that noise is now a design element.Special Features:
- Great RestBxlatina27Dined on 9/19/2014Had such a great dinner here with my friends. For something last minute it was amazong food. Will be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014We loved Barawine and completely recommend it! The food is delicious, wine choices are good and the ambiance can't be beat! It's like dining in Paris, but better yet, it's on a gorgeous block in Harlem.Special Features:
- Lost in translationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014I've been to Barawine twice for brunch and the food is great (finally, a chef who knows how to cook a proper omelette!). The service is generally good too, though this past visit I asked for the poached eggs on my eggs Florentine to be cooked a little firm since I'm pregnant, and the waitress took that to mean hard-boiled, even after I specifically said not hard-boiled when she asked. The rest of flavors were good--I just felt like she rushed through the order-taking and/or didn't understand the difference between poached and hard-boiled and the consistency of the overall dish suffered because of it.Special Features:
- Beautiful but bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014Aesthetically pleasing but they must work on their food! It is simply disgusting! Nice place to people watch and have a drink but eat before you go!Special Features:
- The food is mediocre at best!GossmeDined on 8/4/2014Food was such a disappt. After ready all the reviews I expect good good. I felt it was a waste of money.
- We didn't even eatAnneVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were seated right away. They brought us water. Then we sat there. After maybe 20 minutes, we got menus. A few minutes later, the server - whom we had barely even seen in our area - came over. We weren't ready because we had just received the menus. She said she would be back. After 40 minutes with nothing but water, we told the hostess we were leaving. We were not the only unhappy customers. To make matters worse, I got an email from OpenTable saying the restaurant had "cancelled" my reservation, meaning I would get neither the points nor the opportunity to review. Fortunately, OT rectified this, giving me the chance to let others know about this awful experience. I gave the food 3 stars because it looked like it would have been good.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Barawine reviews archive.
- Double Date!LLum83VIPDined on 7/24/2014Came to Barawine for a double date, what a great find! a True neighborhood GEM! The food was superb, excellent presentation, tasted amazing and they were able and willing to accommodate special requests! GREAT place! Didn't think Harlem was SO awesome! glad to call it my hood!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchGGrandmaDined on 7/20/2014I love the ambience, the services was excellent. Food was good. The DJ and his music was perfect for Sunday afternoon. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/17/2014I was going to see the Harlem Theater production of "Romeo & Juliette" and a couple of friends, and wanted to have dinner prior to the show. A friend of a friend lives in the neighborhood and recommended Barawine. It was a gorgeous day, so we sat outside. We ordered from the salad and appetizer menu and a bottle of Rose. Everything was very fresh and tasty. My only complaint was hearing a very offensive rap song, filled with expletives when I went into the restaurant to use the restroom. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends (actually, already have) and would make the trip, even if I wasn't doing anything in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good food, great wineAMHessDined on 7/3/2014Food was good but not amazing (the branzino was tasty but overcooked). The real reasons to come are the extensive wine list and desserts. The "Louvre" (essentially a bomb-au-chocolat) and vegan chocolate mousse with mini donuts are amazing. Service is very good. I would recommend sitting outside, since the noise level inside can reach a deafening roar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodElodieDined on 6/29/2014good vibe, nice place, good food, very nice bottleSpecial Features:
- My new favorite!AllieDined on 6/28/2014I absolutely love this spot. It's super cute and the food is amazing. I've been for both dinner and brunch and will most certainly be back! They are VERY accommodating of big groups as well!Special Features:
- Steep decline - so sadOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014I have been to Barawine more than a dozen times, from when it first opened until last night. Sitting at a table on a Harlem sidewalk is a lovely way to spend an evening. And the restaurant's interior is equally agreeable. Sadly, it is such a struggle to dine at Barawine these days that it's almost not worth it. It's not acceptable to be ignored for 30 minutes when you are eager to order wine. When an elusive server is captured, the wine and food are delivered in a timely manner. But to get the check an hour after plates are cleared requires extraordinary exertions. A new manager assured me that changes will be forthcoming. Soon please.
- beautiful restaurantari72Dined on 6/20/2014my third visit, food and service were variable as usual, ambiance was excellent as always, i will be back but believe I need to choose carefully from the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Tons of outdoor seating, really nice ambience. Food was fine, not amazing. Main draw is the $15 per peson unlimited mimosa pitcher. I had to request refills, but they brought it right awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barawine Decent food bad serviceAaron23Dined on 5/23/2014The food took a while to arrive between courses. There was a lack of servers available at the time of our dining experience. A notable point was when the chef came out to greet his guests. He came out and asked for opinions and was very humble. We appreciated several of our dishes. We ordered the barawine salad, tuna tartar, scallops, and hanger steak. The salad and tartar were good. The scallops were a tad salty with not very much flavor. The hanger steak was cooked very well and that was gone the moment the plate was set. All in all, decent prices okay food.Special Features:
- Great for a family celebrationLisieDined on 5/22/2014We informed the restaurant that we were celebrating our daughter's law school graduation and we were given a great spot on the stage in the back room which afforded us needed privacy and space. Our waitstaff was attentive, respectful and efficient. Our waitress appreciated the occasion and offered helpful, knowledgable suggestions regarding the menu. We ordered a variety of food, to satisfy the vegan, fish and meat eaters among us, and we were pleased with the results, from starters through desserts. The Caesar salad, branzino and vegan donuts were hits. Most significant to us though was the restaurant's obvious effort not only to make us comfortable but also to embrace our special occasion by offering us the perfect seating and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StebbingsVIPDined on 5/21/2014Always a favorite with a rapidly increasing loyal clienteleSpecial Features:
- Great staurantrCavalairDined on 5/15/2014Very friendly, great atmosphere very good food, just a little too noisy for my taste but still acceptableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother’s Day Dinner FailnadnalpacVIPDined on 5/11/2014Our experience started out well enough. Beautiful place, friendly and attentive service. Things took a turn south when it took over 80 minutes between when we finished our appetizers and our main course arrived. Lots of yelling and screaming from the adjacent table on same issue. When food did finally arrive it clearly prepared in a rushed way, and not very good. Then the Maitre D came over to apologize and comped us desert…after ordering what we had our eye on from the beginning (a Gluten Free moose…one of 4 selections) we were told that they were all out, and handed us our check with a 15% reduction. The whole experience cast a pall over what was supposed to be a fun, nice dinner out on Mother’s Day. Not going back.
- Horrible Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014I gave Barawine a few chances to get their food right, but each time, the food was absolutely disgusting (and ridiculously overpriced). The service was slow and they always got my order wrong. My last meal there was so bad, I had to give it back, quickly pay for it and run out of there. I swear I will never go back. By the way, the food I've tried there (so you know what NEVER to get there): waffles, all the egg dishes, the salmon, the creamy rice (the WORST dish).
- Not badkristindivaVIPDined on 5/6/2014Our server essentially forgot about us multiple times, so we waited a pretty long time to get beverages. The food was lovely, though, and the wine list looked quite impressive.Special Features:
- Mediocre foodNkcoVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were very disappointed in Barawine. The decor is beautiful but the food is quite mediocre. One of us ordered a hanger steak that was 3 small pieces of tasteless meat. Tuna tartar was full if sinewy, unchewable pieces. It tasted like a supermarket sushi dish. None of the dishes ordered by 4 of us had any flavor. It's hard to understand why this place was packed. Hard good restaurants in Harlem so hard to find?
- Très bon maisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014Une déco branchée. Une carte simple avec pour les plats principaux une dizaine de plats, où se mêlent du poisson, des légumes craquants et un magret de canard entre autres. Nous étions huit à table et tout le monde a été conquis par le bar ou le magret. Maîtrise des cuissons, très jolis accompagnements avec par exemple un mirepoix de légumes croquants et de superbes asperges. Serveurs discrètes et efficaces. Note raisonnable. Par contre ce qui fût très désagréable c'est la condescendance de celle qui semblait être la maîtresse de maison. Cette façon très suffisante de prendre le touriste pour une m.... parce que certains d'entre nous ne décryptaient pas forcément bien la carte des mets ou celle des vins. DommageSpecial Features:
- Great addition to Harlem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2014Book early this place gets busy! We have had two great meals here. My wife and I took the whole family for Easter Brunch, despite being very busy, our food came out quickly and quality was excellent. The food and wine list is top notch here and we will be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripStebbingsVIPDined on 4/17/2014A gem in East Harlem worth a visit from anywhere. Say hello to the genial French owner Fabrice and enjoy the vibe.Special Features:
- A new Harlem find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/23/2014Transported to a cool bistro in Le Marais, beautiful design with great food to match. Diverse crowd and great wine list made for a memorable dinner. Service was welcoming and attentive......food delicious, interesting and full of subtle flavor. Save room for the warm tart, really nice!! Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, deafening brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/23/2014I like Barawine and have been here several times. The food is good; the service is always friendly. If you go for brunch, be ready. There was a DJ and while the music selection was good, we couldn't hear each other. We had made a reservation, but were asked if it was okay if we were seated at the communal table. We said it was fine, but it was a huge mistake. The table is wide, which is nice as it allows room for your plates and glassware, but couple that with the sheer volume of the music, we had to scream to be heard and even then, only one person could hear as you had to shout specifically at them. If you want to feel like you are at a club, come for brunch. Otherwise, just come here for dinner. It is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great times....again!AprilDined on 2/28/2014This was my 2nd time coming to Barawine and once again, my expectations were met. I actually ate dinner this time around and it was amazing! Mushroom risotto and corn and jalapeno soup...delish! Can't wait to go back and try some brunch :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise, Noise, NoisehappymealVIPDined on 2/23/2014I am pleased to see all the new wonderful restaurants that have opened in Harlem and I can't wait to try them all. This one needs a second look because for brunch it was nothing special. The noise level was out of site, the service was ok. Sunday brunch and one wait person. There was a party in one of the rooms that seemed to take up most of the staff. So another look is called for. But I like to have a reservation honored for the time it was made and this was not done.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/23/2014They ran out of eggs and potatoes during the Sunday BRUNCH shift. They forgot our order and and made no attempt to rectify the situation and were rude and negligent for the rest of the service.
- Fabulous find in HarlemVFeigenVIPDined on 2/21/2014Excellent wine list and delicious food and modern pretty room. Great addition to the restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem goes upscale yet cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/19/2014What a lovely newcomer to the neighborhood! Great food in a lovely setting. Everything was delicious and the place beautiful. Finally this area has a place that has the trendy downtown vibe, interesting menu and winelist -- all mixed with a nice bit of warm and casual neighborhood touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!ShareDined on 2/18/2014It's my second time there. Barawine has an intimate romantic setting and the service is great. The food is also great but the portions are a bit small. They also have an amazing wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot on Lenox!CityGirl723Dined on 2/16/2014My family and I had made a reservation for Brunch here this past Sunday - What a great spot! The place was quiet (we were early, around 11:30AM). The ambiance was wonderful - clean & classy - and all the windows allow for great natural lighting! Food was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed the bottomless mimosas! I definitely recommend for a fun brunch spot for friends or family.Special Features:
- Awesome Vday SpotCCCCDined on 2/14/2014Went there to celebrate Vday and it was awesome. At first, the staff seemed a bit frazzled bc of the amount of ppl in the restaurant, but once we were seated it was all smooth sailing. We experienced a fixed menu that was absolutely delicious. Their french onion soup and lamb chops were great. They also have a vast selection of wines cheap- expensive that we indulged in. Overall loved it and hope to be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.