110 East Pearson
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bartomachicago.com/
- Phone: 3122663110x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch on Sundays: 11am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: NEW in and out prix-fixe menu featuring the Tony Beef sangwich or Bomba Burger accompanied by romana salad and finished off with a scoop of gelato for 15.00! Sandwiches not your thing? One of our NEW lunch salads easily satisfy! Try the Insalata Bistecca made with grilled hanger steak, escarole, local beans, fingerling potatoes, and red wine vinaigrette or the Insalata Sorrentina made with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, Genovese pesto, and grilled pizza dough. Available Monday – Friday from 11:30am-4pm!
A word from Bar Toma
Bar Toma is a regional Italian restaurant from Chef Tony Mantuano. The warm, welcoming restaurant features housemade pastas, sharable antipasti, entrees and pizzas from an imported Italian wood-burning oven. Approachable and accessible, Bar Toma offers traditional Italian recipes created in a contemporary fashion by Executive Chef Erik Freeberg, paired with Italian wines, cocktails and beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Toma reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (40)fit for foodies (35)great for outdoor dining (33)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (23)notable wine list (16)hot spot (14)romantic (9)special occasion (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Bar Toma-less than expectedKCvisitorDined on 10/19/2014The pizza choices at Bar Toma are extensive and creative, but I was disappointed in the execution. The crust is described as thin, but thin shouldn't mean doughy and limp. The edges were nicely browned/dark, but off the edge, floppy and perhaps not done. We tried a pasta dish, a spicy pappardelle, which was fine. The craft beer choices are good.Special Features:
- Mr TOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We went based on friend's rec. Online menu showed pizza, apps, pastas and limited basic entrees that sounded appealing. Calamari quite good, baked ricotta mixed reviews due to spicy tomato sauce (I liked and my wife did not). Solid salad and very good arugula/prosciutto pizza. My son enjoyed his pasta. My huge gripe is that when we went to order the entrees, there were none. We were informed that they left the menu last week and they were very sorry, but no chicken or fish in the house. They blamed corporate who controls the website and they could not update. That left my wife extremely unhappy and me frustrated/disappointed. At 50+, we need something beyond the starch of pizza/pasta and it's not there. MISTAKE. Won't return.Special Features:
- Pricy for the QualityJK27Dined on 10/13/2014Sadly I was not very impressed by Bar Toma. Only one of the two of our pizzas were good and service was poor/slow.Special Features:
- A great disappointmentAimanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Friends told us that is has great pizza so we tried it. Server was unprofessional. Pizza was greasy and its crust was burned.
- Slow, poor service. Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I went for lunch at Bar Toma with my parents. We got a nice, comfortable booth and ordered beers and pizza. Ten minutes later, the server came back with a small (1/2 sheet) beer list and said he apologizes but they don't have any of the beers on their regular menu and this is what they have. I didn't recognize anything so I asked if they had a pale ale. He blushed and said he wasn't sure and so I took a guess and placed an order. Five minutes later he came back with my dad's beer and told me that they were out of what I ordered. I said, "just bring me anything then!" and he came back with a Sofie. When the check came, I was surprised that I was charged for that beer, and also surprised that it was $11! No wonder he chose that for meSpecial Features:
- Terrible PizzaFoodDined on 10/7/2014The hosts and our waiter were very attentive. The hosts really lived up to their role and were very welcoming all throughout our time there. The bartender was a little slow and was easily distracted by others. Took forever to get a glad of wine and my check. The bar wasn't even full. The food was pretty bad. We ordered two pizzas and they were bland and just missing something.
- travelpuppyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had the beet salad it was fabulous, and my friend had one of the other salads it was fabulous also. Ordered Burrata with Prosciutto the pizza was very good, the crust could have been crisper. So next time I would just ask for the crust to be crisper Service was great.Special Features:
- DoubleDonnVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were very good. The noise level was on the high side. We went back for brunch two days later. On request they turned down the energetic music but it had crept up by the time we left. Their starters were very good.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedslingerofthetruthDined on 10/3/2014There's potential here, but the execution is lacking. Decor is a strange mix that's seems to be trying to be minimal, artistic, and eclectic all at once. The result is a headache. The food was better, to a degree. Pizzas seem to be the star of the show, while the past was well prepared if uninspiring. Overall, I would only come back for the pizza.Special Features:
- Server (Delonne) was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014Server was knowledgeable about menu, food and wines, and attentive. He made the after work evening very pleasant. Pizza options wide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful LunchMbachDined on 10/1/2014Stopped into Bar Toma after having a great meal there a few weeks ago. As expected the food was great - there were four of us and we left very satisfied. The waiter was great and gave excellent recommendations to those that had not been there before. Highly recommend: Pappardelle Bolognese. Good for an individual, and great to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average FoodOut4anightDined on 9/27/2014Location and Semi-Outdoor setting was great, food was average at best. Service was somewhat slow, although we were there with a group of 4 to talk so we did not mind that much.Special Features:
- Terrific pizza!No3GalDined on 9/25/2014It's not Chicago-style pizza but delicious nonetheless with quality fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/24/2014Have not been back in about 2 years. Would def add back into neighborhood rotation for beer and pizza. Bar is much better place to sit than restaurant. Good for all ages. Wine a bit pricey for offerings. Surprised it was not filled with more tourists. Maybe cost has something to do with it.Special Features:
- Awesome pizza, even better service!TinaDined on 9/14/2014We had an awesome time at Bar Roma. We took our Italian exchange student, and she was floored by how "Italian" the pizza was. She also could not believe that they have the coffee she has back home...she's been telling me about it for a month, and here it was right in Chicago. The coffee is just amazing, and my kids loved the gelato too...they swore it was just like Italy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was very disappointing. The server made some recommendations and nothing was outstanding. I had much higher hopes for the restaurant.Special Features:
- a fine family friendly spotFresserVIPDined on 9/14/2014this was our third visit; the food is good and the menu is child friendly. Great waiter !!Special Features:
- Great food in casual settingTGrellaDined on 9/12/2014Treviso and Goat Cheese appetizer is awesome. Cannoli not as good as Italy but pretty darn good anyway, with an illy machiattoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing pizza in a great location!Littleguns72Dined on 9/12/2014Love Bar Toma! The food is top notch and all the servers are kind and courteous. It's a busy, sometimes loud, place, but not so loud as to make it uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014Good food. Great serrvice. Great bartender. Awesome gelato!Special Features:
- Very pleasantSRDuncanDined on 9/8/2014The Bar Tomi salad is enormous and really good. My daughter enjoyed the squid ink pasta in lobster sauce and the seafood soup was very good . Good gelato selection. Great service. Look forward to a next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!LoriDined on 8/31/2014Had another great visit to Bar Toma! Absolutely LOVE this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014good food, a bit slow once the meal is served to check back with the food. One person ordered a shrimp salad and it arrived without the shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Lunch Near Water TowerYippeeVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a good spot to stop for lunch if you're near Water Tower or Michigan Ave. shopping. A little expensive, average $20 per pizza, but that's to be expected in this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choiceBeerbrewerVIPDined on 8/21/2014firs time visit - solo, coming into town one night for business. Sat at the bar - the bartender made a solid recommendation for a glass of win, as well as the pasta I ordered. it was good, not exceptional. All in all, a decent meal at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip ItCARTBRIDGEVIPDined on 8/21/2014Tony Mantuano must have forgotten about Bar Toma. Food and service are well below his standards and my expectations.Special Features:
- Great food and great for familiesNVK1Dined on 8/15/2014We had a great experience. We wanted something both the adults and kids would love, and this was it. Delicious pastas, unique items, and very family friendly. Not fancy at all, very casual, but still great food.Special Features:
- BeautifulveggieloverDined on 8/15/2014Our waitress was amazing! She made sure that we always had our drinks filled and that our food was good. She talked to the chef and was able to conform to my needs being vegetarian and explained items on the menu. Beautiful place to relax and eat top notch food! Best Italian food ever coming from an Italian! I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Italian fareFoodieX4VIPDined on 8/11/2014Nothing stellar, your basic Italian restaurant. In a very busy touristy location. My husband liked his pizza. My daughter's Moscow Mule was very, very sweet. It was good food, good service, but nothing much to really write about. Our waitress(sorry, can't remember her name) she was great. We sat at a table facing the street. Very popular place for families mainly due to its location.Special Features:
- Pleasant LunchPMA1Dined on 8/1/2014I was meeting an old friend for the first time in many years, and we choose Bar Toma for Lunch. The restaurant was perfect for this. The lunch menu is varied and good, and we were able to sit for a few hours and enjoy our meal and catch up on each other's lives. The cocktail menu is also good and tasty.Special Features:
- My Chicago FaveEileenVIPDined on 7/31/2014Whenever I visit my daughter, I always book a table here. The manager is very welcoming and our server, Marissa, was amazing considering how crazy busy it was! After the flavorful calamari fritti, we devoured a shared beet salad with Gorgonzola and hazelnuts. We then shared a fabulous and DELICIOUS housemade Pappardelle pasta with bolognese sauce...then to complete the night, we finished with some house made Gelati and Cannoli. It is never a complete visit until I eat at Bar Toma-a true gem...Special Features:
- Very good food, negligent serviceAbcdVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food runners here just fling the food at people. Never seen such drop and run behavior! Nothing comes out together, so some food gets cold while you're waiting for your other dishes. Crazy. I don't know how they can operate like this. We only go back for the food; service is never good.
- GReat food at handy locationJulieDined on 7/29/2014Great location, accessible to Chicago and Michigan Aves. Works for a more casual meal of pizza and salad, or a healthy entree of salmon and salad. Great wine choices too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could have been betterLauraDined on 7/27/2014The service was slow. The waiter was knowledgeable but he disappeared for a while. The pizza dishes were very good. The pasta was okay. Appreciate the gelato sample for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugely disappointingChicagodiner1VIPDined on 7/17/2014Tony Mantuano has a great reputation and we have enjoyed his restaurants in the past. The food was overpriced very mediocre and not well-prepared. The dishes were lukewarm the pizza was soggy and meatballs were watery. Trader Joes Aranchini are better. Servers were pleasant although the sommelier was way too friendly. I don't want to be asked what I'm doing over the weekend when he is opening up our bottle of wine. It's personal and awkward.
- small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Ordered scallops for $28 and was surprised there were only two on the large plate and no other accompaniment. I was surprised at the size of entrée for price. Sister had lasagne and that was delicious (glad she shared!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor spot in heart of cityfrancescafanVIPDined on 7/7/2014Cheese plate was outstanding. Wine/food very good. Not crazy expensive given the neighborhood (Ghirardelli right next door and Hershey across the street)Special Features:
- Great small plate food choices!dpkoneVIPDined on 7/5/2014All of the small plate food choices at Bar Toma are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought a NewbyMomoDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten there before with my daughter and we always have pizza. This time I came with Girlfriend who lives in Wisconsin and Arizona...she loves great food. We experimented and had the Treviso and marmalade, and the Anarci rice balls, sorry for the misspellings. and Then salads. We had the $9.00 red and it was good. She had the espresso gelato. She said it was fabulous. And I had to agree. So much focus on Pizza before I missed the other gems your place has to offer.Special Features:
- Lucky findHerooftimeDined on 7/1/2014I just so happened to stumble upon bar toma online when planning a birthday for a friend. The food was incredible (best gnocci i have ever tasted) and the service was just as great! Dont leave until you have the caramel gellato (server recommended a side of sea salt that really stepped it up a notch). All in all a wonderful experience that capped off our already great day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.