110 East Pearson
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bartomachicago.com/
- Phone: 3122663110x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch on Sundays: 11am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: NEW in and out prix-fixe menu featuring the Tony Beef sangwich or Bomba Burger accompanied by romana salad and finished off with a scoop of gelato for 15.00! Sandwiches not your thing? One of our NEW lunch salads easily satisfy! Try the Insalata Bistecca made with grilled hanger steak, escarole, local beans, fingerling potatoes, and red wine vinaigrette or the Insalata Sorrentina made with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, Genovese pesto, and grilled pizza dough. Available Monday – Friday from 11:30am-4pm!
A word from Bar Toma
Bar Toma is a regional Italian restaurant from Chef Tony Mantuano. The warm, welcoming restaurant features housemade pastas, sharable antipasti, entrees and pizzas from an imported Italian wood-burning oven. Approachable and accessible, Bar Toma offers traditional Italian recipes created in a contemporary fashion by Executive Chef Erik Freeberg, paired with Italian wines, cocktails and beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Toma reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (38)neighborhood gem (34)great for lunch (32)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (19)hot spot (16)great for brunch (12)late-night find (12)romantic (9)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Awesome pizza, even better service!TinaDined on 9/14/2014We had an awesome time at Bar Roma. We took our Italian exchange student, and she was floored by how "Italian" the pizza was. She also could not believe that they have the coffee she has back home...she's been telling me about it for a month, and here it was right in Chicago. The coffee is just amazing, and my kids loved the gelato too...they swore it was just like Italy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was very disappointing. The server made some recommendations and nothing was outstanding. I had much higher hopes for the restaurant.Special Features:
- a fine family friendly spotFresserVIPDined on 9/14/2014this was our third visit; the food is good and the menu is child friendly. Great waiter !!Special Features:
- Great food in casual settingTGrellaDined on 9/12/2014Treviso and Goat Cheese appetizer is awesome. Cannoli not as good as Italy but pretty darn good anyway, with an illy machiattoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing pizza in a great location!Littleguns72Dined on 9/12/2014Love Bar Toma! The food is top notch and all the servers are kind and courteous. It's a busy, sometimes loud, place, but not so loud as to make it uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014Good food. Great serrvice. Great bartender. Awesome gelato!Special Features:
- Very pleasantSRDuncanDined on 9/8/2014The Bar Tomi salad is enormous and really good. My daughter enjoyed the squid ink pasta in lobster sauce and the seafood soup was very good . Good gelato selection. Great service. Look forward to a next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!LoriDined on 8/31/2014Had another great visit to Bar Toma! Absolutely LOVE this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014good food, a bit slow once the meal is served to check back with the food. One person ordered a shrimp salad and it arrived without the shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Lunch Near Water TowerYippeeVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a good spot to stop for lunch if you're near Water Tower or Michigan Ave. shopping. A little expensive, average $20 per pizza, but that's to be expected in this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip ItCARTBRIDGEVIPDined on 8/21/2014Tony Mantuano must have forgotten about Bar Toma. Food and service are well below his standards and my expectations.Special Features:
- Great food and great for familiesNVK1Dined on 8/15/2014We had a great experience. We wanted something both the adults and kids would love, and this was it. Delicious pastas, unique items, and very family friendly. Not fancy at all, very casual, but still great food.Special Features:
- BeautifulveggieloverDined on 8/15/2014Our waitress was amazing! She made sure that we always had our drinks filled and that our food was good. She talked to the chef and was able to conform to my needs being vegetarian and explained items on the menu. Beautiful place to relax and eat top notch food! Best Italian food ever coming from an Italian! I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Italian fareFoodieX4VIPDined on 8/11/2014Nothing stellar, your basic Italian restaurant. In a very busy touristy location. My husband liked his pizza. My daughter's Moscow Mule was very, very sweet. It was good food, good service, but nothing much to really write about. Our waitress(sorry, can't remember her name) she was great. We sat at a table facing the street. Very popular place for families mainly due to its location.Special Features:
- Pleasant LunchPMA1Dined on 8/1/2014I was meeting an old friend for the first time in many years, and we choose Bar Toma for Lunch. The restaurant was perfect for this. The lunch menu is varied and good, and we were able to sit for a few hours and enjoy our meal and catch up on each other's lives. The cocktail menu is also good and tasty.Special Features:
- My Chicago FaveEileenVIPDined on 7/31/2014Whenever I visit my daughter, I always book a table here. The manager is very welcoming and our server, Marissa, was amazing considering how crazy busy it was! After the flavorful calamari fritti, we devoured a shared beet salad with Gorgonzola and hazelnuts. We then shared a fabulous and DELICIOUS housemade Pappardelle pasta with bolognese sauce...then to complete the night, we finished with some house made Gelati and Cannoli. It is never a complete visit until I eat at Bar Toma-a true gem...Special Features:
- Very good food, negligent serviceAbcdVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food runners here just fling the food at people. Never seen such drop and run behavior! Nothing comes out together, so some food gets cold while you're waiting for your other dishes. Crazy. I don't know how they can operate like this. We only go back for the food; service is never good.
- GReat food at handy locationJulieDined on 7/29/2014Great location, accessible to Chicago and Michigan Aves. Works for a more casual meal of pizza and salad, or a healthy entree of salmon and salad. Great wine choices too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could have been betterLauraDined on 7/27/2014The service was slow. The waiter was knowledgeable but he disappeared for a while. The pizza dishes were very good. The pasta was okay. Appreciate the gelato sample for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugely disappointingChicagodiner1VIPDined on 7/17/2014Tony Mantuano has a great reputation and we have enjoyed his restaurants in the past. The food was overpriced very mediocre and not well-prepared. The dishes were lukewarm the pizza was soggy and meatballs were watery. Trader Joes Aranchini are better. Servers were pleasant although the sommelier was way too friendly. I don't want to be asked what I'm doing over the weekend when he is opening up our bottle of wine. It's personal and awkward.
- small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Ordered scallops for $28 and was surprised there were only two on the large plate and no other accompaniment. I was surprised at the size of entrée for price. Sister had lasagne and that was delicious (glad she shared!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor spot in heart of cityfrancescafanVIPDined on 7/7/2014Cheese plate was outstanding. Wine/food very good. Not crazy expensive given the neighborhood (Ghirardelli right next door and Hershey across the street)Special Features:
- Great small plate food choices!dpkoneVIPDined on 7/5/2014All of the small plate food choices at Bar Toma are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought a NewbyMomoDined on 7/5/2014I have eaten there before with my daughter and we always have pizza. This time I came with Girlfriend who lives in Wisconsin and Arizona...she loves great food. We experimented and had the Treviso and marmalade, and the Anarci rice balls, sorry for the misspellings. and Then salads. We had the $9.00 red and it was good. She had the espresso gelato. She said it was fabulous. And I had to agree. So much focus on Pizza before I missed the other gems your place has to offer.Special Features:
- Lucky findHerooftimeDined on 7/1/2014I just so happened to stumble upon bar toma online when planning a birthday for a friend. The food was incredible (best gnocci i have ever tasted) and the service was just as great! Dont leave until you have the caramel gellato (server recommended a side of sea salt that really stepped it up a notch). All in all a wonderful experience that capped off our already great day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the verge of goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014I saw an earlier review on here that mentioned the portions being too small, and honestly I disregarded it. I shouldn't have. My entree of their ravioli special (which was tasty), was only four ravioli with probably a single asparagus spear chopped around the plate. It was simply not satisfying as a full meal. This was after sharing an appetizer of fried calimari (good) and a three-piece salumeria (ranged from mediocre to excellent) with my friend. My friend got the coffee and donuts dessert and loved it. I closed with a rather underwhelming cannoli (the ricotta filling was somewhat watery and flavorless). Including a pitcher of EXCELLENT sangria we came in around $130 for 2 of us. At that price, I want to leave more satisfied than I was.
- Convenient and FriendlyJgstudios1Dined on 6/29/2014Not chicago style pizza but very nice thin crust authentic artesian italian style. Overall nothing special but nothing very objectionable either. Pretty good value abdcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Great food and great service!! The desert was amazing as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsTSummVIPDined on 6/27/2014service, food, and libations all consistently excellent. Bar Toma has become our go-to place for special occasions, meeting out-of-town friends, and just a quick lunch while downtown.Special Features:
- good pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Flatbread was great but I was disappointed that they did not honor a gellato coupon that my guests had from taking the Trolley tour.
- Fun with a group!ShuggyDined on 6/19/2014Took some out of towers here & they loved it as did I! Food was great, cocktails were delicious!Special Features:
- SurpriseDavidDined on 6/18/2014My wife and I went here because it was close and on open table. No expectations. The food was very good, attractively plated and good portions. Service excellent. Ask for Patrick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected More!SaraDined on 6/13/2014Was excited to try Bar Toma. It was just okay, all the way around. The pizza, which I think is considered a specialty, was very oily and needed to blot it off with napkins! Good drink menu. Calimari tough but tasty. Expected more from this one. May give it a second chance, may not.
- Great food at resonable pricesMela526VIPDined on 6/12/2014Food is good. Not large portions persay but very fresh and tasty. The pizzas are a must. Especially enjoy the Dottore and the Power pizzas. Appetizers are very good and a nice selection of which to choose. Great place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Spot Pre-TheaterDonnaDined on 6/11/2014Went to Bar Toma with 7 friends for cocktails and food before going to see a show at Water Tower. Everything was great! Drinks were great, appetizers were tasty and the pizzas were wonderful. My only complaint is that the appetizers were rather small for our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Horrible FoodDowntownVIPDined on 6/10/2014I've been dining out 4-5 nights a week for over 20 years and I must be honest and say that Bar Toma is one of the worst restaurants in Chicago. We both ordered Cosmos and even my friend who is a light drinker remarked that it tasted "different." It was vile. I didn't want to start the evening on a negative note so I gagged it down. The food was even worse. I ordered the lasagna and got something in flat sheets and charred black. I asked our waiter for one that wasn't burned and he said that's the way they prepare it -- charred on a grill. Lasagna charred black on a grill?! My recommendation -- stay away from Bar Toma. Horrible drinks and horrible food.
- Not worth the priceChiTownEatersDined on 6/7/2014The location is great for downtown activities, but the food didn't meet expectations. We had pizza and it was good, but not great. The thin wood-fired crust was the highlight. We also had the ravioli, which was good, not great. However, the portion was an appetizer size and certainly not an $18 meal. There were only 4 small ravioli. I expected better food knowing it was a tony M concept.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2014Good never disappoints Live in the area and enjoy Bar Toma for lunch, dinner, drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK..Decent BOPPzsnobVIPDined on 5/30/2014Seated us up smack against another table of 10 ...even though the place ended up being half empty Food good but not great Pizza better on prior visits Grilled calamari was good Blueberry basil sorbet excellent Would consider for easy casual meal, but wouldn't go out of my way to go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun new placeJohnnyQDined on 5/29/2014We went to Bar Toma before a play across the street at looking glass theater. (Free appetizer when you show your ticket). We shared the arrancini, treviso and goat cheese, charred carrots, flaming octopus and power pizza. All were fantastic except the pizza. The wait staff was good and the manager helped us with wine selections. A fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.