110 East Pearson
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bartomachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 266-3110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch on Sundays: 11am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: NEW in and out prix-fixe menu featuring the Tony Beef sangwich or Bomba Burger accompanied by romana salad and finished off with a scoop of gelato for 15.00! Sandwiches not your thing? One of our NEW lunch salads easily satisfy! Try the Insalata Bistecca made with grilled hanger steak, escarole, local beans, fingerling potatoes, and red wine vinaigrette or the Insalata Sorrentina made with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, Genovese pesto, and grilled pizza dough. Available Monday – Friday from 11:30am-4pm!
A word from Bar Toma
Bar Toma is a regional Italian restaurant from Chef Tony Mantuano. The warm, welcoming restaurant features housemade pastas, sharable antipasti, entrees and pizzas from an imported Italian wood-burning oven. Approachable and accessible, Bar Toma offers traditional Italian recipes created in a contemporary fashion by Executive Chef Erik Freeberg, paired with Italian wines, cocktails and beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Toma reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (46)fit for foodies (42)great for lunch (32)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (10)romantic (7)special occasion (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good not greatKchoodDined on 11/21/2014It was a reasonably priced place with very good food, not great food. The service was great. The atmosphere was fine but loud and very bar like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not super impressedPRudnickVIPDined on 11/21/2014I was not as impressed with this menu as the price point and reviews were making me excited to be. The pasta that I got, while beautiful in presentation was not the best taste and lacked salt and flavor, which a bummer since I've heard it's one of their best dishes. The pizzas were haphazardly put together and while the buratta pizza was good, the power pizza didn't meet expectations. I will go back to Bar Toma for wine and a cheese plate, but that's about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A Work in ProgressOcharenaDined on 11/20/2014This great location hasn't figured it out in as Bar Toma or in any of its previous incarnations. Reservation was on the books when we arrived but there were no two-tops available for 1/2 hour. We ended up at a six-top in the corner. It was that or wait till after 8:30. Ordered the gnocchi & lasagna. Not good. Too sauced. The salads and roasted carrots were terrific. Service was ok. Had someone come back to check on how the entrees were we would have told them.Special Features:
- Not recommendedFoodmaven1VIPDined on 11/19/2014My first time there, I didn't like the food. Second time, same. This time I tried more items. The Bar Toma salad was below average and not seasoned enough. The margarita pizza wasn't bad (the only thing I'd recommend) with not enough cheese. The penne arabbiata was inedible, not penne, not well cooked -specially in the middle of the pieces- and the sauce was different -I could only taste garlic and chili as if the tomato used was tasteless-. We didn't ask for the dishes to be changed because they felt that's how they were supposed to be. Note I'm a fan of spicy arabbiata sauce, and this pasta was the worst unfortunately.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2014I had been looking forward to dining here, but thought that the food was so-so. The meatballs were dry and bland and overpriced at $4/piece. The kale salad was good, but a bit under-seasoned and also overpriced given that it was just kale, egg, and breadcrumbs (and I will acknowledge that the breadcrumbs were delicious). The pizza was good, but there are many other, far superior, places for this style of pizza. I appreciated that they had a kids menu, which is a rarity for the area unless you eat at a fast food place, but that didn't make up for the underwhelming food.
- BIrthday dinner with friends was a success!!!!!!!!misshungryallthetime7Dined on 11/16/2014I decided to pick Bar Toma for my birthday dinner since I had been there before. Our table ordered two pizzas and the Lorenzo was amazing. I would love to order that pizza again. I got a free gelato since I let them know it was my birthday. I did not really like the chocolate flavor I got. I wish I would've picked a different one. I will definitely be coming back soon. The waiter was helpful with coming by to check up on the drinks. The wine my friend ordered was good but not strong enough for her taste, My boyfriend got a bit buzzed from the 312 drink which was interesting. The tvs by the bar were playing the football game which was nice because I was interested in seeing if the bears were going to win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luluDined on 11/14/2014food was mediocre was mediocre for the price. service was so-so. Coffee and home made biscotti were delicious, but not good enough for a return visit.
- Sunday Brunch, just OKDane49VIPDined on 11/9/2014Overall good. Brunch portions are small, except for the scramble egg dish. The background music was AWFUL. I asked for it to be turned down a bit, but it wasn't. Loud rock/metal music not what I want for Sunday Brunch. Waiters were great though. A little pricy, but I guess it's because it's Michigan Ave. The bloody mary is very spicy, even though they say it isn't. Comes with a cold pizza garnish which was very cool, and tasty. I don't live nearby, so probably won't be back for brunch, it was a special occasion anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkreachbgkVIPDined on 11/8/2014Gnocchi was good. Bursts was good as well. Didn't care too much about the pizza. Good place to enjoy drinks and finger food.
- Wrong MenuMisterEVIPDined on 11/6/2014Do NOT rely on the menu on Open Table. Wasn't even close. There are NO entrees. Just pizza and pasta. We were expecting a diffent menu and this started off a bad experience. Do NOT expect a full glass filled with your favorite beverage. While I admit that the food was good, the disappointed menu and service couldn't make up for our dining experience.
- Our "go to" PlaceDeanoVIPDined on 11/1/2014Once again, fantastic service and terrific food. The octopus appetizer is outstanding; as well, the truffle-scented arancini are terrific. Push right on past the hordes of tourists and make your way there. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza in ChicagoDeeDeeDined on 10/31/2014Bar Toma provides excellent thin crust pizza, not deep dish Chicago-style pizza. For refugees from New Haven, CT., is was a welcome change. We had an excellent arugula salad, lightly and appropriately dressed in olive oil, shaved fennel, parmesan and a dash of lemon juice. The waiter was a delightful change from one who tried to push more food. When asked about the size of the pizza--12"--, he suggested ordering one and then, since they cook quickly, ordering a second if we still felt hungry. He was right. Sharing was just right!Special Features:
- Great serviceGCFoodie2015VIPDined on 10/27/2014Great service but even better food. The octopus was the best I have tried in a while and the pizzas were excellent as well
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/26/2014The menu online and outside the restaurant did not match the menu inside, which was essentially pasta and pizza. No fish or meat entrees. When we inquired, the waiter told us it had changed 2 weeks earlier. Spicing on sauces was very hot, but we got no guidance from the waiter beforehand and our daughter was overwhelmed with heat No wine list to speak of. The waiter left us for long periods with no attempts to take our order or see what we needed. Noise level (music) was off the charts; there was no way to communicate with people at your table. There are too many places with good service, food, and ambiance to waste your money here. A very poor experience and we won't go back.
- daniel bdbmlVIPDined on 10/26/2014terrible service, the aiter had bad breath, they overcharged me and they took 15 minutes to fix the error and top of that the first pizza we ordered as completely charred, the second one was bland.
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014You need to update your menu on open table New menu ok with lots of pizzas but person I took with was very disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Bad service, worse food and disappearing valet. We should have returned all of our food and left to have a decent dinner somewhere else. It took 15 minutes to find the valet after dinner to get our car and the management had no clue! Will never return
- Authentic Napolese PizzaJimmyVIPDined on 10/22/2014Went to Italy this summer and the pizza at Bar Toma is every bit as delicious! Great authentic Napolese style pizzas! The other dishes are quintessential Italian and fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Toma-less than expectedKCvisitorDined on 10/19/2014The pizza choices at Bar Toma are extensive and creative, but I was disappointed in the execution. The crust is described as thin, but thin shouldn't mean doughy and limp. The edges were nicely browned/dark, but off the edge, floppy and perhaps not done. We tried a pasta dish, a spicy pappardelle, which was fine. The craft beer choices are good.Special Features:
- Mr TOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We went based on friend's rec. Online menu showed pizza, apps, pastas and limited basic entrees that sounded appealing. Calamari quite good, baked ricotta mixed reviews due to spicy tomato sauce (I liked and my wife did not). Solid salad and very good arugula/prosciutto pizza. My son enjoyed his pasta. My huge gripe is that when we went to order the entrees, there were none. We were informed that they left the menu last week and they were very sorry, but no chicken or fish in the house. They blamed corporate who controls the website and they could not update. That left my wife extremely unhappy and me frustrated/disappointed. At 50+, we need something beyond the starch of pizza/pasta and it's not there. MISTAKE. Won't return.Special Features:
- Pricy for the QualityJK27Dined on 10/13/2014Sadly I was not very impressed by Bar Toma. Only one of the two of our pizzas were good and service was poor/slow.Special Features:
- A great disappointmentAimanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Friends told us that is has great pizza so we tried it. Server was unprofessional. Pizza was greasy and its crust was burned.
- Slow, poor service. Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I went for lunch at Bar Toma with my parents. We got a nice, comfortable booth and ordered beers and pizza. Ten minutes later, the server came back with a small (1/2 sheet) beer list and said he apologizes but they don't have any of the beers on their regular menu and this is what they have. I didn't recognize anything so I asked if they had a pale ale. He blushed and said he wasn't sure and so I took a guess and placed an order. Five minutes later he came back with my dad's beer and told me that they were out of what I ordered. I said, "just bring me anything then!" and he came back with a Sofie. When the check came, I was surprised that I was charged for that beer, and also surprised that it was $11! No wonder he chose that for meSpecial Features:
- Terrible PizzaFoodDined on 10/7/2014The hosts and our waiter were very attentive. The hosts really lived up to their role and were very welcoming all throughout our time there. The bartender was a little slow and was easily distracted by others. Took forever to get a glad of wine and my check. The bar wasn't even full. The food was pretty bad. We ordered two pizzas and they were bland and just missing something.
- Good but smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/6/2014Food and service were pretty good, but portions are on the small side. The pizza could've also been a bit more generous with the toppings, but the ingredients were of good quality.
- travelpuppyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had the beet salad it was fabulous, and my friend had one of the other salads it was fabulous also. Ordered Burrata with Prosciutto the pizza was very good, the crust could have been crisper. So next time I would just ask for the crust to be crisper Service was great.Special Features:
- DoubleDonnVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were very good. The noise level was on the high side. We went back for brunch two days later. On request they turned down the energetic music but it had crept up by the time we left. Their starters were very good.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedslingerofthetruthDined on 10/3/2014There's potential here, but the execution is lacking. Decor is a strange mix that's seems to be trying to be minimal, artistic, and eclectic all at once. The result is a headache. The food was better, to a degree. Pizzas seem to be the star of the show, while the past was well prepared if uninspiring. Overall, I would only come back for the pizza.Special Features:
- Server (Delonne) was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014Server was knowledgeable about menu, food and wines, and attentive. He made the after work evening very pleasant. Pizza options wide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful LunchMbachDined on 10/1/2014Stopped into Bar Toma after having a great meal there a few weeks ago. As expected the food was great - there were four of us and we left very satisfied. The waiter was great and gave excellent recommendations to those that had not been there before. Highly recommend: Pappardelle Bolognese. Good for an individual, and great to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average FoodOut4anightDined on 9/27/2014Location and Semi-Outdoor setting was great, food was average at best. Service was somewhat slow, although we were there with a group of 4 to talk so we did not mind that much.Special Features:
- Terrific pizza!No3GalDined on 9/25/2014It's not Chicago-style pizza but delicious nonetheless with quality fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/24/2014Have not been back in about 2 years. Would def add back into neighborhood rotation for beer and pizza. Bar is much better place to sit than restaurant. Good for all ages. Wine a bit pricey for offerings. Surprised it was not filled with more tourists. Maybe cost has something to do with it.Special Features:
- Awesome pizza, even better service!TinaDined on 9/14/2014We had an awesome time at Bar Roma. We took our Italian exchange student, and she was floored by how "Italian" the pizza was. She also could not believe that they have the coffee she has back home...she's been telling me about it for a month, and here it was right in Chicago. The coffee is just amazing, and my kids loved the gelato too...they swore it was just like Italy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was very disappointing. The server made some recommendations and nothing was outstanding. I had much higher hopes for the restaurant.Special Features:
- a fine family friendly spotFresserVIPDined on 9/14/2014this was our third visit; the food is good and the menu is child friendly. Great waiter !!Special Features:
- Great food in casual settingTGrellaDined on 9/12/2014Treviso and Goat Cheese appetizer is awesome. Cannoli not as good as Italy but pretty darn good anyway, with an illy machiattoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing pizza in a great location!Littleguns72Dined on 9/12/2014Love Bar Toma! The food is top notch and all the servers are kind and courteous. It's a busy, sometimes loud, place, but not so loud as to make it uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014Good food. Great serrvice. Great bartender. Awesome gelato!Special Features:
- Very pleasantSRDuncanVIPDined on 9/8/2014The Bar Tomi salad is enormous and really good. My daughter enjoyed the squid ink pasta in lobster sauce and the seafood soup was very good . Good gelato selection. Great service. Look forward to a next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.