102 Wall St
Norwalk, CT 06850Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barsugo.com/
- Phone: 2039567134
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 4pm-10pm Fridays and Saturdays: 4pm-11pm Sundays: Brunch: 11am-3pm Dinner: 3pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Pasquale Pascarella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bar Sugo
Southern italian cichetti bar serving pizzas and homemade pastas. 30 wines by the glass and barrel aged cocktails. a must visit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Bar Sugo - Best Restaurants in Norwalk ›
Bar Sugo reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (9)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (4)special occasion (1)Show More
- First visit, will be back!WestportJenVIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I ate at Bar Sugo before a concert, and we had a great meal! We ate a selection of small plates. All were good, but the summer salad, arrancini, and pork cannelloni were stand outs. Service was attentive. We dined outside. Not a very pleasant view, but the food and the service outweighed that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014We return to Bar Sugo all the time. It is charming, in the most unliely spot and the small plates and pizza make it so worthwhile. We love our neighborhood haunt. It is always a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Italian TapascravingsDined on 8/7/2014Our server was delightful and very attentive and knowledgeable. The meatball appetizers were the best as well as the prosciutto wrapped french fries.Special Features:
- What a fun foodie place!LeslieAndRedDined on 7/31/2014Loved the meatball tasting, pork belly, cabal telli bolognese and pulled pork raviolini, but the caramelized pizza flavor combos just did not mesh for any of us. We did love the crust though. I would try the margherita pizza the next time. The service was superb! They worked as a team and were there to check on us just enough and were very pleasant and knowledgeable ladies. We will definitely be going back and with more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014We love Bar Sugo. The food is great in the most unusual setting in the middle of a city under regentrification. While it might take awhile. the restarurant is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jlminvVIPDined on 7/23/2014In a tiny kitchen, the chef manufactures miracles. The server and hostess are charming-but the food is delicious. During the week the dining room at dinner is only half full so the noise level is perfect. We started with meatball sampler. All were good, but two were outstanding. We tried tuna (2ways), porkbelly with great sauce, and grilled octopus. The pastas are the right size portions and were delicious. This restaurant and wine bar should be on everyone's list of go to places.Special Features:
- A huge hit!DonDDined on 7/12/2014Just all around excellent experience. Service was fast, friendly and knowledgeable. Had mix of small plates and one of the pastas, which were uniformly outstanding. My wife, who openly characterizes herself as "hard to please" couldn't stop gushing about the place. The meatball sampler is not to be missed nor is the burrata. Innovative mix of flavors, both savory and sweet. They even gave us some tasty dessert at the end to finish off the experience. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Pasta & Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/1/2014This neighborhood gem is truly an under followed and under appreciated food paradise - I am never disappointed! The small plates change often and feature fresh in season ingredients. The pasta is delicate and fresh. The wine list while small contains many great choices which pair well with the small plates and entrees. I make Bar Sugo a must visit for a monthly dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent menu selectionsRachelZDined on 6/28/2014The menu changes very frequently but there are always about 20 small plates to choose from, about 7 pizzas and 7 pastas. The bolognese over handmade cavatelli and the meatball sampler seem to be the only items that don't change. Burrata with currents and balsamic, tuna tartar, corn & blue cheese salad were particular standouts on 6/27.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personal favorite!DJVinCTDined on 6/20/2014Been going here since it opened and it continues to improve. The menu is always changing with very fresh ingredients and tasty options. The service was the one thing that this place was lacking when it first opened (completely understood) but it continues to get better and better each time we visit; very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The only criticism is to up the attentiveness just a bit; water never refilled and decent wait once dinner was complete. Overall, we LOVE Bar Sugo and love watching the growth and improvements!Special Features:
- VARIETYXteenDined on 6/15/2014WE HAD SUCH A SELECTION FOR OUR BRUNCH- FROM SOFT SHELL CRAB TO FIG PIZZA WITH ARUGULA AND GOAT CHEESE. THE WINES ARE HALF PRICE AT BRUNCH AND THEY WERE EXCELLENT. WE ALSO HAD A VERY SMALL PORTION OF FRIED CLAMS, AND CHICKEN LIVER PATE WITH RED ONION JAM. IT WAS DELICIOUS BUT REALLY NOT ENOUGH FOR THE $6.00.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2014Bar sugo is a fun Italian tapas kind if place. The food was great. Meatball tasting and truffle pasta. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- realdealVIPDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant was uncomfortably hot, and they were unable to adjust the temperature. Portions seemed small and expensive.
- Great place to meet friendsKsKonfectionsDined on 5/17/2014WE had a very nice experience at Bar Sugo. I am hearing impaired and requested a quiet spot in the restaurant. They were very accommodating!! We enjoyed a very nice evening with some good friends!!Special Features:
- like2dineoutDined on 5/17/2014Having been to Bar Sugo before we were not disappointed this time. Great menu. Lots of interesting tapas and dinner items. Friendly service and good prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014This truly is a neighborhood gem. It is located in an unlikely place making it even more wonderful. The best news is the creative and delicious food. It cannot be beat.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Bar Sugo reviews archive.
- Worth the WaitFloeyVIPDined on 5/4/2014Small place but very good food. We were 15 minutes late for a 2:00 PM reservation because of traffic going from Greenwich to Norwalk (didn't think it would be like rush hour on a Sunday afternoon!) and were seated in the very last table by the rest rooms at the end of a long narrow dining space. Servers were great - very friendly and informative, and the food was good but took a very long time to get to us. Being Groupon-ers, we stuck with the offers but would return to try some of the other choices - and hopefully get a better table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceforkandknifeDined on 4/11/2014We like Bar Sugo a lot. Why we do is that Bar Sugo has one of the best combinations of food and service. The food - appetizers brussel sprouts, frites with prosciutto, kale, shaved salad, and meatball sampler are some of our favorites. The pasta is really good and last Saturday we tried the pizza. All really good. The food is coupled with personable service. Just the right balance of personality and service. They are knowledgeable and seem to enjoy making the clients happy. What a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true jewelWallStreetJewelDined on 4/6/2014Great vibe, great food, great service. You must try this jewel on Wall Street! The brussel sprouts are deliciously sweet and I love the meatball sampler!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian tapas for brunchVAS911Dined on 4/6/2014Went with the family (my mom, daughter and husband) for Sunday brunch and we thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness and taste of the appetizer and main course brunch offerings! The service was a bit too unrushed (slow) which somewhat affected the overall rating above but we enjoyed it all nonetheless and would both return to and recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/4/2014I haven't been here in a few months. I love how the menu always offers new items. The chicken liver toast was delicious and was a generous portion. I also had the cavatelli bolgonese. I've had it before and it has always been good. This time it seemed like something was lacking and it was not as flavorful....but was still yummy. The homemade pasta is fresh and melts in your mouth. My friend had the fig pizza which was the perfect combination of cheese, prosciutto, and figs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC Worthy FoodFoodieDined on 3/29/2014This place is for foodies. Every bite was a symphony of innovative flavor. I highly recommend the brussel sprouts (they don't taste like brussel sprouts so don't be afraid) and the oysters. I haven't had the pizza yet, but I heard the pairing of flavors is outstanding. I can not wait to go back and try more items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's with that menu?VictorVIPDined on 3/26/2014Nice looking place, very uncomfortable chairs and tight quarters. Weird menu, tough to put together a dinner that is not carb-heavy. Service was sporatic and the place was nearly empty. Food that we had was very good and well prepared, but if you don't want pasta or pizza you're going to have a hard time.
- Brunch amazing/dessert not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/23/2014All four of us loved our brunch plates - when they finally arrived. Basically we had to ask our server for anything at least twice, plus sometimes relied on other servers to retrieve her. Yes we would go back...perhaps the service will be better next time. Dessert though was a major disappointment. The entrees are SO delicious, why not just contract desserts out? No need to try to cover everything. Obviously the owners do not have a discerning palate when it comes to dessert. Canned pineapple and maraschino cherries over a so-so cheesecake in bla graham cracker crumbs? Please, please either do NO desserts or make dessert as spectacular as your entrees. Why would you want to lose such an easy profit center - dessert?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly but un-attentive staff.AnonDined on 3/20/2014My party of 4 arrived one by one over the span of a half hour. It took about 10 minutes for each new guest to be offered a drink or silverware, and also a long time for refills to be suggested. Staff was very friendly and helpful once they arrived, just took a while. Had to ask for the check twice about 20 minutes after our table was cleared and glasses empty. Wonderful meatball sampler and pizza with broccoli rabe and garlic (seriously, be okay with whole cloves of garlic before ordering). Nice ambience and a fairly authentic representation of a menu you may find in Italy, but with more extensive options. Would have been a 5 star with slightly faster service, so hopefully they'll tighten that up, especially on slow evenings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2014Only had brunch here but it was excellent..nice choices..good portions. Really enjoyed. I'm sure it would be just as nice for dinnerSpecial Features:
- TerrificszkikiDined on 3/7/2014Loved the meatball sampler. That and the kale salad are the perfect dinner for two people!Special Features:
- Overpriced for the amountElisaDined on 3/5/2014Overpriced for the amount and quality of the food. We spent $100 and both left hungry!
- SolidDanHVIPDined on 2/20/2014A little place that has a neighborhood fell. Not long on atmosphere and can be a little stark when empty, but nice vibe when full. Service is attentive and friendly and the food is a few basic categories done in a very innovative fashion..meatballs, pizza, pasts, etc.. A very nice place for a group dinner or a nice casual evening with your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The food was beyond delicious, Arancini, Brussel sprouts, short rib pizza and more. Brunch is just as amazing, the best crostini and eggs benedict I have ever had. Check it out! Make reservations weekends get busy. Staff is very nice and attentive. I can't wait for my next visit... Dreaming about the food. So good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...but the service suckedAnonymousDined on 2/1/2014I made a reservation a week in advance and when we arrived...we had to wait nearly 45 minutes for our table. The manager did not come and apologize. Nothing was offered as an apology for the wait. It took our waiter 3 reminders to bring clean glasses of water and finally a bus boy came to the rescue with refills. He got 2 drink orders wrong and it took him more than 10 minutes to bring a wine glass. The food was delicious, but the poor service definitely overshadowed that. Come on a week day or for an early dinner when it's not crowded. The meatball tasting was one of out favorites as well as the margarita pizza and the chocolate pot de creme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome little Wall St. restaurantRachelZDined on 1/24/2014Highly recommend the meatball sampler, burrata bruschetta, tuna carpaccio, fig & prosciutto pizza, spaghetti neri with shrimp. Family style works well. Tons of people there on a Friday night at 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall we had a mixed experience.AndyCDined on 1/24/2014Overall we had a mixed experience. My wife and I were very disappointed that even though we had a 8 pm reservation for her birthday and arrived early, we never ended up with a table. After 15 minutes, we were offered 2 seats at the end of a party of 6's table which right by the front door where it was freezing out, so we declined that and didn't really want to eat at the bar. 10 minutes later I check on the status and was told other 20 minutes or so. We had a babysitter and couldn't wait much longer so we ended up eating at the bar. Fortunately the bartender Hannah was attentive and the food was excellent. We had the meatball sampler, short ribs, pork belly, kale, & fig pizza. We would go again, but not expect to get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!MarieC927Dined on 1/24/2014Excellent meatballs!! Delicious pappardelle with braised short ribs!! Ridiculously good pot de creme!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy dinner with friendsBetsyknitVIPDined on 1/19/2014Wow, food was great, service fabulous. The Brussels sprouts wee the BEST I have ever eaten. The pappardelle was fresh and yummy. And the wines wee half-price (Sunday night). I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentJohnDined on 1/18/2014Great concept and excellent food. My partner doesn't eat pork and everything on the menu has pork in itSpecial Features:
- Nice spot in NorwalknksmVIPDined on 1/18/2014Everything we ate was outstanding. Pizza was crispy and tasty. Great to try lots of different items and shareSpecial Features:
- Really loud and chaoticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/18/2014It's clearly a hot spot and the food is outstanding. A great foodie feast. Though very small portions. It's meant for sharing but don't expect to share much because the portions are so small. The service was inconsistent because as it got crowded the wait staff was overwhelmed. It took forever to get dessert- and those are all clearly made in advance, so there is no excuse for a long wait for dessert. It was overcrowded and loud. Don't go if you are trying to have an intimate conversation. Go if you love food and want to have fun with your friends and don't care about waiting for the next (tiny) course.Special Features:
- Bar Sugo - always a treatFoodyumDined on 1/10/2014I have been to Bar Sugo many times and have never been disappointed. The food and drinks have always been excellent. I love that some of the menu items change seasonally but my favorites are always there. I have recommended it to many people and they have all been pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small dishes allow one toSamuelDined on 12/20/2013small dishes allow one to taste many plates. Very original food - delicious. Love this place. We keep going back and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.