103 West 70th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barriquenyc.com/
- Phone: 646-596-9700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Bar Rique
Bar Rique offers a wide variety of wines from around the world in addition to professionally tailored cocktails and spirits. Our food is expertly prepared tapas and entrees in the traditional Spanish preparation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Rique reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (8)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Birthday PartyUWSOutdoorDinerDined on 10/18/2014We love Bar Rique and go there regularly to sit out front with our dog. Food menu has a broad selection of delicious small plates. Wines and cocktails are always good. Perhaps the best part is that it faces 70th street just off Columbus so you can sit on the sidewalk without much traffic noise. This visit we had a party of 8 and sat inside to celebrate a birthday. The staff was attentive, food and drinks were great, dessert was delicious. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- NanoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent time, excellent food, excellent service.Special Features:
- Excellent service, cute, romanticPunskytaVIPDined on 10/10/2014The ambiance was great, dim light, romantic, small. Service was excellent. My drink (watermelon martini) was delicious, and so were the the pulled pork sliders with Brazilian cheese bread. The only reason I'm not giving it more stars is because the ceviches were not great, they were too simple and felt more like pieces of fish with lemon and not like real ceviches. Nonetheless, I would definitely go back to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh service, not very tasty tapasDaveDined on 10/4/2014bad: The server was trying to be helpful but it didn't work. We tried ordering beers on tap. It took a long time before he came back. When he did he had an armful of unopened beer bottles because the taps didn't work. The pulled pork sliders were each the size of a walnut. Tough bun, not flavorful. good: it was easy to get a reservation. The beet salad was good but cost $11 for four slices of beet.
- Good Food, not such good serviceAnonymous34Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good and our waiter provided good service. However, the maitre d was rude, and sat us in the corner with no light, even though we had a reservation and there was another open table, that he gave to a couple who came in after us. We had to use the flashlight on our phone to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have potentialActionjackson11VIPDined on 9/22/2014Food was just not that good, despite a great menu. Service was excellent. Too many other restuarants to try before I could go back.
- Terrible experienceAgsnyc2Dined on 9/19/2014It is the worst restaurant I've been to in NYC. The food is terrible, the ambiance is bad, the drinks are horrible (you can't drink them, we sent them back), the service is bad, and it's way overpriced.
- Hours inaccurate on Open TablebenglandDined on 9/14/2014Table was reserved for noon on a Saturday through Open Table. Unfortunately Bar Rique didn't open until 4 pm.
- Disgusting Food, OverpricedTapasWoundedDined on 9/10/2014You'd think to judge by the menu options and the prices that this would be a quality restaurant. FALSE. Every item we ordered off the menu was awful. We got the octopus; dry, oversalted and overdressed. Truffle fries had barely any truffle dressing. Chipotle mayo tasted like it came out of a tube. Beef empanadas were dry, bland, and tasted like frozen shells; one arrived burnt on the bottom. The pitcher of sangria we ordered was so watered-down we had to send it back to get a replacement. The fish in the fish tacos was rubbery, overcooked, and dried out as if it had been sitting around a while. Everything was pretty much inedible and we left early without finishing anything. Ruined an otherwise nice evening.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Great ambiance, food and dining pleasure The seared honey crusted tuna...to die for!Special Features:
- Price of caipirinhaFoodieDined on 9/5/2014$26/- for an average caipirinha is rediculus. Was this a mistake . If so, we should get a refund to our Amex card.We paid $52/- for 2 caipirinhas. Impossible to verify if this is a mistake because the listed number goes to a fax line at all times!! Please see if you can find out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/4/2014My first experience here was better than this one. The bread was dried out, the gazpacho was way too spicy. The short ribs were excellent. The staff is uniformly very friendly, and I had great food last time, so I will try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad RestaurantalvreinDined on 9/1/2014The restaurant was empty. Glasses were dirty. The service was slow and just wanted to leave. Food was OK. No good restaurant.
- Consistently good foodMikeKVIPDined on 8/10/2014I return here over and over for the good food and friendly staff. Regretfully, this time, they had to lose a star. While the food continued excellent, we ordered a bottle of wine for out table. Usually, we would drink by the glass, but we were out with my uncle who is an onophile. The wine came and he took a taste. The wine was hot. The waiter was taken aback that someone would complain about the wine, he seemed to not know what to do. I know that space is limited, but it is criminal to store good wines inappropriately. The wine was not ruined, we were able to cool it down and continue our dinner without incident.Special Features:
- Good Food. Poor Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Server was rude; forgot to put in a dish and then lied about it, condescendingly told me "gazpacho was a soup" when I ordered it among other tapas and told my friend repeatedly she "didn't look old enough to drink" despite being 28. Food was great, but avoid due to awful service.
- Friendly and funUWSiderDined on 7/31/2014Bar Rique is a good change of pace for the neighborhood. The service was very attentive and the menu offers a lot of options within the concept of tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre neighborhood spotLindaGDined on 7/28/2014I went with a group of 5 on a Monday night. We ordered a range of foods, mostly from the "Warm and Lush" part of the menu, and there was something a little off with most of what we ordered. Lamb meatballs seemed overcooked and lacked enough sauce, short ribs had good flavor but were dry, shrimp was greasy and a little too spicy, etc. (The fried artichokes and truffle fries were solid though.) While the food was far from terrible, but none of it was great, either. And nothing about our experience was memorable. I would go here to meet a friend for a drink or two if we were in the neighborhood already, but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here for dinner or bring out of town guests.
- WelcomingLuLuVIPDined on 7/25/2014From the first smile greeting you to the goodby from everyone this is a warm welcoming place with exceptional food. We look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Always have a great experience heremarydancerDined on 7/24/2014This is my 5th time here and it's been a consistently good experience. The food is always good as is the service!! I've introduced several people to this restaurant and they all love it. Planning to keep coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasNickyDined on 7/24/2014We were there for a pre theater dinner. We sat at the patio which was very cute. The food was great. We each ordered 2 tapas dishes and shared (4 of us). Everything was flavorful, each dish different from the other. Don't miss the bacon warped dates and the cevice.
- Good spotNYC40smomDined on 7/22/2014Calamari was amazing; the ribs and lamb a little too salty. Cute restaurant, though. Liked the blurring of lines between bar and restaurant, quiet, nice wine and drink options. Not loud. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyablekogsDined on 7/22/2014Stopped in after reading terrific reviews and certainly agree with them. Had a fantastic dinner before a concert and the Best drinks to boot. Service was excellent and the staff was great. Already have recommend ed to others and will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014Have gone multiple times, it never disappoints. Great food, interesting menu, good serviceSpecial Features:
- This spot NEVER fails ..jcjcVIPDined on 7/20/2014this is a total favorite, and i have introduced so many to this place, and now they repeat their great experiences there. The owner is doing something great there, as is the chef. GO !Special Features:
- Very good experience.BettyDined on 7/20/2014We had tapas and wine in the garden area, that was enclosed, and air conditioned. It was pretty, and we were able to sit for a couple of hours. The waiter was helpful in his recommendations, and helpful in accommodating our requests reqarding potential allergy issues. The atmosphere is warm and festive.Special Features:
- The restaurant was CLOSED!!!RedsVIPDined on 7/20/2014My friend and I showed up for our reservation for Sunday brunch and the restaurant was CLOSED!!!
- Tapas and cevicheLnorthDined on 7/12/2014Lots of good choices plus hard to find ceviche. Covered garden area is quiet and away from inside TV's playing the World Cup.Special Features:
- Loved the AmbianceelowlDined on 7/11/2014This is a cool place tucked below the street, with enclosed outdoor/patio seating. I went there for dinner recently, and thought the experience was good, but not great. Bar Rique offers a number of tapas options. We had the paella, truffle fries, yucca and chorizo, lamb, and a charcuterie plate. We also ordered a beet salad that never came. The food was good, though nothing to write home about; the service was a little disappointing. It took a while for our server to get to our table (though our wine did arrive promptly), and then, as mentioned previously, one of our menu items never arrived. I may not return for dinner, but I would return for drinks--the ambiance there is very enjoyable.
- Once was more than enough!PamelaDined on 7/9/2014We had a 10:45 reservation and arrived almost 10 minutes late having been at a concert. The minute we sat down we were told we had to order that minute because the kitchen closes at 11(although we had to ask for menus!) . Why they would allow a reservation 15 minutes before closing I have no idea. It was an unpleasant experience - barely mediocre food, servers that couldn't wait for us to leave and people stacking chairs on tables.Their Open Table information says they are open until 12 which is clearly not the case. Would never go there again
- The following 123 reviews are from the Bar Rique reviews archive.
- tapas and wineSuellenDined on 6/25/2014This is a small neighborhood place with an extensive wine list and small plates to go with your drinks. Tapas size was ample and the two of us ordered 5 dishes which was more than enough. Crispy artichokes, lamb meatballs and beet salad were standouts. Intimate place with lovely outdoor patio in the back.Special Features:
- Great small place with small platesJayOeatsDined on 6/21/2014We stopped at Bar Rique for dinner before the Ballet. Good tapas plates that were small, but not too small. Lamb meat balls were solid...we will be back.Special Features:
- Thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Great staff! Great food! Wish there was more outdoor seating. The interior looked great, we just wanted open airSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small place with small platesbcorbittVIPDined on 6/6/2014Not sure how long this place has been opened as went looking for place to have dinner before heading to nearby movie theatre and this place came up. The place is small but one nice thing is they have two tables(4 and 2 top) outside so in nice weather you can enjoy some sun and since it is on side street it is quiet. The menu is nothing amazing as all the standby Spanish tapas dishes. I would have liked to see a couple more vegetable dishes as they had no patatas fritas or anything green for that matter other than fried artichoke. The food was okay, though nothing special but then the prices will not set you back as we ordered 4 tapas which was enough for 2 and 2 drinks and bill came to around 60.Special Features:
- Surprising GemDinewithdogsVIPDined on 6/6/2014Very cute neighborhood restaurant. Casual with quaint outdoor seating even if it's only 3 tables. What's really lovely is that they have an enclosed patio dining area in the back which is lovely year round. Manager, Adam, knows his stuff and staff is friendly.Special Features:
- Good Local Find!AriesVIPDined on 6/6/2014Searched OpenTable for a restaurant near the Beacon Theatre and found this place. Read the reviews and decided to give it a try. Place is snall but very quaint. We sat in their enclosed outdoor area which was nice. The menu has a variety of tapas so we ordered several for our party of three. Food was average. My one complaint was they used the same mustard sauce on several dishes so after awhile, the food all tasted the same. In spite of this, would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Recommend Closed Restaurant.WASCLOSEDDined on 5/25/2014ALTHOUGH, I HAVE MY PRINTED CONFIRMED RESERVATION MADE THROUGH 'OPEN TABLE', 'BAR RIQUE' WAS COMPLETELY CLOSED, SHUT DOWN, WHEN WE GOT THERE. RIDICULOUS.
- MorkVIPDined on 5/24/2014Terrific tapas near Lincoln Center. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:
- 3rd time, still a charmMikeKVIPDined on 5/23/2014Introduced more friends to the tapas in this joint. How great, and the service is amazing.Special Features:
- Our new neighborhood favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2014We thought we'd run out of tapas places on the UWS. Until we found bar rique. Loved the wine, tapas and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great replacement for EpicesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/17/2014I was looking for a new restaurant to go on a Saturday evening before an 8 PM curtain at Lincoln Center. I recognized the location on West 70th street off of Columbus as the site of the old Epices du Traiteur, which apparently closed more than a year ago. Sad, but this tapas joint is great! The food is diverse and yummy, and perfect if you don't want to overeat before a show.Special Features: