103 West 70th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barriquenyc.com/
- Phone: 646-596-9700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Bar Rique
Bar Rique offers a wide variety of wines from around the world in addition to professionally tailored cocktails and spirits. Our food is expertly prepared tapas and entrees in the traditional Spanish preparation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Rique reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (9)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Consistently good foodMikeKVIPDined on 8/10/2014I return here over and over for the good food and friendly staff. Regretfully, this time, they had to lose a star. While the food continued excellent, we ordered a bottle of wine for out table. Usually, we would drink by the glass, but we were out with my uncle who is an onophile. The wine came and he took a taste. The wine was hot. The waiter was taken aback that someone would complain about the wine, he seemed to not know what to do. I know that space is limited, but it is criminal to store good wines inappropriately. The wine was not ruined, we were able to cool it down and continue our dinner without incident.Special Features:
- Good Food. Poor Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Server was rude; forgot to put in a dish and then lied about it, condescendingly told me "gazpacho was a soup" when I ordered it among other tapas and told my friend repeatedly she "didn't look old enough to drink" despite being 28. Food was great, but avoid due to awful service.
- Friendly and funUWSiderDined on 7/31/2014Bar Rique is a good change of pace for the neighborhood. The service was very attentive and the menu offers a lot of options within the concept of tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre neighborhood spotLindaGDined on 7/28/2014I went with a group of 5 on a Monday night. We ordered a range of foods, mostly from the "Warm and Lush" part of the menu, and there was something a little off with most of what we ordered. Lamb meatballs seemed overcooked and lacked enough sauce, short ribs had good flavor but were dry, shrimp was greasy and a little too spicy, etc. (The fried artichokes and truffle fries were solid though.) While the food was far from terrible, but none of it was great, either. And nothing about our experience was memorable. I would go here to meet a friend for a drink or two if we were in the neighborhood already, but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here for dinner or bring out of town guests.
- WelcomingLuLuVIPDined on 7/25/2014From the first smile greeting you to the goodby from everyone this is a warm welcoming place with exceptional food. We look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Always have a great experience heremarydancerDined on 7/24/2014This is my 5th time here and it's been a consistently good experience. The food is always good as is the service!! I've introduced several people to this restaurant and they all love it. Planning to keep coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasNickyDined on 7/24/2014We were there for a pre theater dinner. We sat at the patio which was very cute. The food was great. We each ordered 2 tapas dishes and shared (4 of us). Everything was flavorful, each dish different from the other. Don't miss the bacon warped dates and the cevice.
- Good spotNYC40smomDined on 7/22/2014Calamari was amazing; the ribs and lamb a little too salty. Cute restaurant, though. Liked the blurring of lines between bar and restaurant, quiet, nice wine and drink options. Not loud. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyablekogsDined on 7/22/2014Stopped in after reading terrific reviews and certainly agree with them. Had a fantastic dinner before a concert and the Best drinks to boot. Service was excellent and the staff was great. Already have recommend ed to others and will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014Have gone multiple times, it never disappoints. Great food, interesting menu, good serviceSpecial Features:
- This spot NEVER fails ..jcjcVIPDined on 7/20/2014this is a total favorite, and i have introduced so many to this place, and now they repeat their great experiences there. The owner is doing something great there, as is the chef. GO !Special Features:
- Very good experience.BettyDined on 7/20/2014We had tapas and wine in the garden area, that was enclosed, and air conditioned. It was pretty, and we were able to sit for a couple of hours. The waiter was helpful in his recommendations, and helpful in accommodating our requests reqarding potential allergy issues. The atmosphere is warm and festive.Special Features:
- The restaurant was CLOSED!!!RedsVIPDined on 7/20/2014My friend and I showed up for our reservation for Sunday brunch and the restaurant was CLOSED!!!
- Tapas and cevicheLnorthDined on 7/12/2014Lots of good choices plus hard to find ceviche. Covered garden area is quiet and away from inside TV's playing the World Cup.Special Features:
- Loved the AmbianceelowlDined on 7/11/2014This is a cool place tucked below the street, with enclosed outdoor/patio seating. I went there for dinner recently, and thought the experience was good, but not great. Bar Rique offers a number of tapas options. We had the paella, truffle fries, yucca and chorizo, lamb, and a charcuterie plate. We also ordered a beet salad that never came. The food was good, though nothing to write home about; the service was a little disappointing. It took a while for our server to get to our table (though our wine did arrive promptly), and then, as mentioned previously, one of our menu items never arrived. I may not return for dinner, but I would return for drinks--the ambiance there is very enjoyable.
- Once was more than enough!PamelaDined on 7/9/2014We had a 10:45 reservation and arrived almost 10 minutes late having been at a concert. The minute we sat down we were told we had to order that minute because the kitchen closes at 11(although we had to ask for menus!) . Why they would allow a reservation 15 minutes before closing I have no idea. It was an unpleasant experience - barely mediocre food, servers that couldn't wait for us to leave and people stacking chairs on tables.Their Open Table information says they are open until 12 which is clearly not the case. Would never go there again
- tapas and wineSuellenDined on 6/25/2014This is a small neighborhood place with an extensive wine list and small plates to go with your drinks. Tapas size was ample and the two of us ordered 5 dishes which was more than enough. Crispy artichokes, lamb meatballs and beet salad were standouts. Intimate place with lovely outdoor patio in the back.Special Features:
- Great small place with small platesJayOeatsDined on 6/21/2014We stopped at Bar Rique for dinner before the Ballet. Good tapas plates that were small, but not too small. Lamb meat balls were solid...we will be back.Special Features:
- Thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Great staff! Great food! Wish there was more outdoor seating. The interior looked great, we just wanted open airSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small place with small platesbcorbittVIPDined on 6/6/2014Not sure how long this place has been opened as went looking for place to have dinner before heading to nearby movie theatre and this place came up. The place is small but one nice thing is they have two tables(4 and 2 top) outside so in nice weather you can enjoy some sun and since it is on side street it is quiet. The menu is nothing amazing as all the standby Spanish tapas dishes. I would have liked to see a couple more vegetable dishes as they had no patatas fritas or anything green for that matter other than fried artichoke. The food was okay, though nothing special but then the prices will not set you back as we ordered 4 tapas which was enough for 2 and 2 drinks and bill came to around 60.Special Features:
- Surprising GemDinewithdogsVIPDined on 6/6/2014Very cute neighborhood restaurant. Casual with quaint outdoor seating even if it's only 3 tables. What's really lovely is that they have an enclosed patio dining area in the back which is lovely year round. Manager, Adam, knows his stuff and staff is friendly.Special Features:
- Good Local Find!AriesVIPDined on 6/6/2014Searched OpenTable for a restaurant near the Beacon Theatre and found this place. Read the reviews and decided to give it a try. Place is snall but very quaint. We sat in their enclosed outdoor area which was nice. The menu has a variety of tapas so we ordered several for our party of three. Food was average. My one complaint was they used the same mustard sauce on several dishes so after awhile, the food all tasted the same. In spite of this, would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Recommend Closed Restaurant.WASCLOSEDDined on 5/25/2014ALTHOUGH, I HAVE MY PRINTED CONFIRMED RESERVATION MADE THROUGH 'OPEN TABLE', 'BAR RIQUE' WAS COMPLETELY CLOSED, SHUT DOWN, WHEN WE GOT THERE. RIDICULOUS.
- MorkVIPDined on 5/24/2014Terrific tapas near Lincoln Center. Definitely a place to return to.Special Features:
- 3rd time, still a charmMikeKVIPDined on 5/23/2014Introduced more friends to the tapas in this joint. How great, and the service is amazing.Special Features:
- Our new neighborhood favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2014We thought we'd run out of tapas places on the UWS. Until we found bar rique. Loved the wine, tapas and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great replacement for EpicesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/17/2014I was looking for a new restaurant to go on a Saturday evening before an 8 PM curtain at Lincoln Center. I recognized the location on West 70th street off of Columbus as the site of the old Epices du Traiteur, which apparently closed more than a year ago. Sad, but this tapas joint is great! The food is diverse and yummy, and perfect if you don't want to overeat before a show.Special Features:
- SophiaDined on 5/17/2014We went for lunch and sat outside, we loved it! Table was set up very nicely, manager did his best to fit us outside.Special Features:
- Falling in love w/ this restaurantMikeKVIPDined on 5/11/2014This was my second visit as I decided I wanted to share this find friends. Beginning with the warm, friendly greeting when we entered and ending with a moment of dish with our attentive waitress, we were thrilled with the experience. Each tapas artfully presented. Staff not afraid to recommend their favorites, you should too. On this occasion, one of the specials was a spiced grilled octopus. I ordered it with my fingers crossed as I know that ill-prepared this could have been like eating rubber. It melted in my mouth, and was oh so tasty, we were tempted to order seconds. We didn't because we needed room to eat our grilled shrimp, our olive selection, and most importantly our fried artichokes, 2nd only to the ones I've had in Rome.Special Features:
- Bar RiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Friendly Staff....Great Food....Very Accommodating.Special Features:
- Average tapasKSaxVIPDined on 5/10/2014Was hoping bar rique would be an amazing new addition to the neighborhood. It was ok. Not bad but nothing we ate wowed us. Service was good and it seems like a good ambiance for a date. Food was very reasonably priced.
- Happy 40th to me40isthenewawesomeDined on 5/10/2014A friend recommended the place. I was going into the city for a play and needed a decent place that would be affordable. It's a bit on the small side in size of the place, but a really great vibe. Mellow. Nice bartender who gave me a bonus shot for my birthday. Food was great. Nothing that really blew me out of the water, but really good stuff. We sat in the back room. All windows, really nice area. I'd definitely go back again and I'd recommended to anyone.Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Bar Rique reviews archive.
- Excellent food and wineNYCUWSVIPDined on 5/3/2014We ate as this new neighborhood gem that opened about 3 months ago. From the outside it looks like it is a small space but they have a wonderful garden room in the back. The food is fabulous and the wine list has some treats. The tannat wine from Uruguay was delicious and well priced. Awesome restaurant and we will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas outside of SpainLIFoodLoverDined on 5/3/2014My parents, husband and I ate at this restaurant last night. We absolutely loved it!! We sat in the garden room which was nice because we could hear each other. We all ordered two tapas plates each (which consisted of the dates, fried artichokes, braised short ribs, calamari, sliders, lamb chops, lamb meatballs and french fries) and we all shared off all of the plates. We also ordered the special flatbread pizza (cheese, chorizo and thinly sliced potato), which was fabulous. All of the other plates were excellent, but especially the dates, fried artichokes, calamari, french fries, and the lamb meatballs. The server was outstanding, she timed the order perfectly. We also loved the Garnacha wine we ordered. I plan to return soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real TreatbigfootdirDined on 4/29/2014Loved everything about the place. Some of the best service I have ever had. Interesting and yummy items on both the small plate and entrée side. Also handled our Gluten Free needs with grace.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 4/29/2014Terrific food: fried artichokes, bacon-wrapped dates, garlic shrimp. Friendly staff. A keeper! I'm told it's a regular for some Met Opera staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the experience.EaterVIPDined on 4/28/2014The waiter and manager were most accommodating. We tried many dishes and liked the short ribs and tuna the best. Portions were fair for the money, but the wine pours were a bit skimpy.
- Perfect spot for nibbles and wine.ShannonhnjVIPDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I found this quaint spot through yelp. Didn't disappoint. Service was outstanding and the small plates were delicious. Our waitress was perfect. Will DEFINITLY be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun neighborhood spotRickDined on 4/26/2014I enjoyed this place despite the small tables, the wait staff constantly rushing by me and a higher than expected tab. Don't (or do) get carried away with the nice variety of tapas and expect to see a bill that's not more than a couple of entrees. With that said though we had wonderful wine and was not pushed out by the nice wait staff. There's a, the dishes were pretty and tasty, there is a great garden out back and the bus boys keep your water glass full. I like that and I hope this place hangs around a bit longer than the last place there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 777, the best happy hour conceptJulakiDined on 4/23/2014I am so glad I followed the YELP reviews to their doorstep because this place is such a perfect location in proximity to Lincoln Center. Their drinks are effectively strong and pair well with their small plates of savory goodness. The tapas selection for the Happy Hour special dubbed 777 was of an excellent variety. Absolutely loved the Kolby beef sliders and truffle fries. Cannot wait to go back for a proper dinner with delectable wine. Service was just the right amount of checking in and since it was early, we had the back enclosed garden area virtually to ourselves.Special Features: