Bar of America
10040 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96160Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bar of America
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barofamerica.com/
- Phone: 5305872626x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am ; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room can host parties up to 40 guests. From a paired down selection off our regular menu to a custom made menu for your party with wine pairings, the opportunities are endless.
Excludes weekends and holidays. Minimums do apply to reserve the room. Call for a packet and pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Norman 5305872626x
- Entertainment: Known for supporting the areas best local talent, the bar hosts small intimate tunes to all out ragers with dancing til the early hours. Almost nightly you can find something happening inside the historic building.
- Special Events: Cock-Tail Tuesdays - $5.95 Cock-Tails on Tuesdays. All Day. All Night. All Summer.
Music After the Music - Live Music after Truckee Thursdays. All Summer.
Bi-Monthly Whiskey Tasting - The Wednesday of every other Month. Visit Bar of America's facebook page for details.
- Cross Street: Bridge St.
- Public Transit: All public transit for the area stops right across the street from the restaurant, including greyhound and Amtrak.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Downtown offers ample metered parking during the day and after 6:00pm all parking is complimentary.
A word from Bar of America
This comfortable Bar and Restaurant in Historic Downtown Truckee welcomes diners with its warm interior and friendly efficient service. The All American menu has a wide range of classic and modern favorites, from sandwiches to steaks and seafood all distinctively paired with an award winning wine list satisfying a broad taste palate at reasonable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bar of America - Best Restaurants in Truckee ›
Bar of America reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Another great dinnerBELLEVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had a fun time as usual. This is one of our favorite restaurants in Truckee. Always an experience.Special Features:
- Ignore the Name and Go for the FoodEFS3VIPDined on 8/2/2014First time back to Bar of America in Truckee in 3 years and the whole family and guests agreed we need to go back again soon. The menu has something for everybody: Prime Rib, burgers, fish, pasta, pizza. The portions were large and the Truffle fries were the hit with the 20-something kids. Service was great and the food and drinks were worth the price. Definitely recommend for dinner- it's much more than a bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for casual fareNorCaleatsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Six of us had pizzas and salads and we were all happy with the food. The menu also included a $37 swordfish entree which seemed overpriced for this type of restaurant. Wondering if the Caesar salad and pizzas were shareable, we asked our server for advice. She told us the Caesar salad had "two leaves" and that the pizza was 9 inches. In fact, the serving sizes were much larger and we ended up with more food than we expected. The Caesar was surprisingly good and we all really enjoyed the large serving, but each of us took home half a pizza. We aren't sure if the misleading descriptions were due to inexperience or an attempt to oversell. The noise from the bar made conversation at our table impossible.
- Good food and serviceLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014Nice menu and good food with very generous portions!Special Features:
- DinnerporgieDined on 7/5/2014Food and service very good. Friendly server who brought me 3 generous tastes of beer when I could't make up my mind. Had the best margherita pizza ever and I've had lots of them)! Kobe sliders excellent, too. Just stopped in for a light dinner before returning to Lake Tahoe.
- Steaks are great - Not the fishKellyDined on 7/2/2014I ordered swordfish, it came totally overcooked. I had them take it back and ordered the scallops and they were overcooked also. The ribs and steaks are great. The dessert was horrible the pie alamode was cold and the brownie was overcooked.Special Features:
- Good foodSrdancerDined on 6/12/2014Right in the heart of old town. Servers friendly. Good bar area. Lots of wines to choose fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!AsputnikmDined on 6/5/2014Since falling under new ownership, this restaurant has quickly become one of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 100 reviews are from the Bar of America reviews archive.
- 18th BD CeleberationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014My daughter took 6 of her friends there for her BD. They had a blast! Great waiter, fast service, good humor and they made a ton of noise and it was all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocreybrob24VIPDined on 4/5/2014Extremely overpriced for quality of food. Nothing we ate was very good but it was extremely expensive. Would not eat there again.
- This place is consistentlyJonGVIPDined on 3/28/2014This place is consistently good and fun. Recommended are everything we had: ribs, sea bass, pizza and bison burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked It, But Too Much SaltOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/30/2013My wife and my two (teenage) kids ate dinner here on a busy night during the holiday season. We received good service and, for the most part, enjoyed the food and drinks. The food was well-prepared with good quality, fresh ingredients. Our only complaint was that some of the items that came with our meals - such as the sides dishes that came with my filet mignon and the grilled chicken that came with the Caesar salad - were over-salted. This makes me hesitant when thinking about whether or not to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experience!!MSMTRVIPDined on 12/30/2013Disappointing experience from beginning to end, with food and service!!! Our server was over loaded, and could not get our drinks or food to us, in a timely manner. We had to ask for everything frequently. You were out of 2 items offered on the menu. It took an hour to get our meal. Our daughter ordered margarita pizza, you brought it with other green stuff on it, since you were out of basil. They were delivering supplies, and kept bumping into our table, as we were trying to eat. The people at the table behind us, got items you said you were out of, after you served our meal to us? It appeared you were not prepared to server your customers, what was offered on your menu.
- Busy NightlocalchickVIPDined on 12/27/2013Friday after xmas, of course the place was packed so I would not have bee surprised if there were a few snags or hiccups. Well I was wrong. Service once again the best from the host to the wait staff. Friendly prompt and always a smile. This is a place you just want to hang out in. The food didn't miss a beat either. The ribs and pork chop well seasoned and cooked to perfection. The appetizers tasty, leaving you wanting more.Special Features:
- Great FoodTrsnVIPDined on 12/27/2013This is the second time we have eaten here. First time was for lunch and their pizza was delicious. Homemade crust and perfect blend of flavors. We decided to go here for dinner with our son over the holidays. Good thing we had a reservation because it was packed! Again we were so happy with our food and service. My son had the pork chop and loved it. I had the scallops and they were delicious. The food is so much better than the casual atmosphere dictates. Will definitely return next time we are in Truckee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Fun with Great FOOD!!!HAVEFORKWILLEATDined on 12/26/2013This was an amazing find. We loved it. We had a group of 7 and there was something for everyone. Just wish they had Malbec wine otherwise it was PERFECT! Steak was perfect, ribs, burger, and scallops. Everyone was thrilled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good foodJonGVIPDined on 12/20/2013Consistently very good food here. All the way from burgers to the serious stuff. As such can range from 20 - 40 / person depending on your taste. Probably a little better value than Moodys across the street, although food styles are very similar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnerThanksgivingDined on 11/28/2013we had a great Thanksgiving family Dinner here... good foo, people, and spirits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotPacificNDined on 11/9/2013The food was very good. My rosemary chicken breasts had a sweet and thick sauce that really detracted from the chicken, however. The truffle fries and Cobb salad were outstanding. The restaurant ambience is a bit noisy but in the dining hall it is quieter. The main thing that I found odd was that we were seated in back, by the kitchen, when the rest of the restaurant was maybe 25% full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealDinnerVIPDined on 10/26/2013The scallops were outstanding. Service was great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRUCKEE HAUNTBELLEVIPDined on 10/21/2013YOU WILL ENJOY THE OLD LUMBER TOWN FEEL OF THE OLDEST BAR/RESTAURANT IN TRUCKEE. IT IS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN AND VERY ATMOSPHERIC. THE BAR IS HUGE BEAUTIFUL OLD WOOD AND COMFORTABLE TO SIT AND CHAT WITH LOCALS. THERE ARE COMFORTABLE BOOTHS TO SIT IN AND THERE IS LIVE MUSIC TO ENJOY. YOU WILL ENJOY THIS EXPERIENCE IMMENSELY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food and very noisy.FoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2013The new ownership has made some improvements in the decor and menu selections but the food lacked flavor. We were four people and ordered the BBQ ribs, pork chop and the special short rib. The ribs tasted deep fried and smeared with BBQ sauce. The special had no seasoning. Could have been boiled in water for hours because the meat and the gravy were lacking any flavor. The pork chop was very large and again not much flavor. It was a Saturday night at 7 pm so they should have had the best chef there. There was a group of about 15 seated in the center of the small room which made it impossible to talk across our table. Poor placement by the staff. Overall the experience was poor and would not entice us to return.
- Best restaurant in Truckee!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2013Consistently tasty food and service at Truckee's hotspot, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a SurpriseMicromanVIPDined on 6/30/2013Don't usually do reviews, but to find a 5 star dining experience at a restaurant with "Bar" in its name was a very pleasant surprise. The food was excellent both from a taste and presentation perspective. Excellent and inexpensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, friendly service.LynneDined on 5/10/2013We had a great meal with excellent service. A great Truckee find..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and outstandingDinnerVIPDined on 4/26/2013Great service and outstanding food. Try the stuffed jalapeño appetizer. The beer cheese soup was amazing. Can't wait to go back some day.Special Features:
- Service and food was veryDianeDined on 4/6/2013Service and food was very good! Lively place that plays good music!Special Features:
- We were visiting from outOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/31/2013We were visiting from out of town and wanted a casual Easter lunch. The food was good, but I thought it was a bit over-priced for essentially bar food ($4 for a kid's milk and $4 for a club soda). Our table had fish taco's, fish and chips, a burger and a kids quesadilla and everything was fine.Special Features:
- The service was good, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/30/2013The service was good, friendly and very helpful in picking out wine. Was slightly slow the night we were there. The sea bass dish was good. The fish was well prepared. The risotto was ok, not the best flavor maybe too much zucchini. Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Since Change of ownershipSad111VIPDined on 3/29/2013Since Change of ownership , new menuFood has went down hill !!!Would not go again.. So disappointed Loved Pacific Crest before it was soldNot worth the moneyFood was equal to going to a Denny's Resturant Don't waste your time
- We Miss the Food and Wine ListOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2013We loved this restaurant when it was called Pacific Crest because the food was outstanding as well as the wine list. It was one of those "Foodie" lover places to go, but now it's just an average menu and not-so average wine list...not worth the $30 per plate average. The rest of the restaurant remains - a fun nightlife spot, old western bar decore...loud and fun. The service was quick and the waiter was curtious, but we are taking this place off our list of "special" restaurants to visit.Special Features:
- Worse service everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2013Worse service ever. Reservation at 8, not seated until 8:30. Food served at 9:45. Moved us in the middle of dinner because band starting and needed our table for dance floor and then completely forgot about us.Special Features:
- I've been here twice and bothOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2013I've been here twice and both times was seated towards the back of the restaurant. There's a door to the outside where people go to smoke. This makes the entire back area cold and smelling like smoke.Special Features:
- Mediocre, overpriced food.ybrob24VIPDined on 2/22/2013Mediocre, overpriced food. Huge portions (we could only eat about 1/2 our entrees) so I would recommend splitting.
- Unfortunately this isn't PacificOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/17/2013Unfortunately this isn't Pacific Crest Grill anymore. It's just a bar with slightly upscale food with some flashes of creativity. Went because thought Pacific Crest was still part of this and its gone - menu and wine list. It was average and there are better choices in the area for dinner.
- Our server was not at allOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/17/2013Our server was not at all helpful very abrupt didn't offer any thing at all we were very disappointed dSpecial Features:
- This is our go to place inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013This is our go to place in Truckee, especially on a busy weekend. They have something on the menu for everyone young and old.
- Waitress was a little scattered,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2013Waitress was a little scattered, but the food was excellent. The prices were higher than we had expected. Be prepared for #30+ entrees. A little steep for TruckeeSpecial Features:
- Very noisy and very cold ifcakoleDined on 1/26/2013Very noisy and very cold if you are near eithr door--side door should not be used in winter. Peaople came in for music and sat down at our dinner table! Not exactly what we had planned on visiting with friends for dinner!Special Features:
- Sports Bar not BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/20/2013We had not been up to Tahoe or to Bar of America for some time. We had always enjoyed its ambience and the great food. But sadly not this time. On arrival we were escorted to our reserved table which to my horror was a bar table right next to the bar and in front of the TV playing a football game. It was very noisy and not where I wanted to spend my time with my husband and 9 year old daughter. And not where I would expect to pay $30+ dollars on an entre! After asking a second time if there was an alternative table we were moved into the dining room which has also been turned into a sports venue with a large group watching the game on another TV. In summary, the description of this restaurant needs to change from Bistro/grill to Sports Bar.