Bar Lola - Portland
100 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04000Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Bar Lola - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barlola.net/
- Phone: 207-775-5652
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Guy Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant can be rented for private events. We host cocktail parties, receptions, and five and seven-course dinners for 10 - 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Stella Hernandez 207-775-5652
A word from Bar Lola - Portland
Guy and Stella Hernandez opened Bar Lola in May, 2006 on Munjoy Hill in Portland's East End. We serve a changing menu of carefully crafted dishes made from the best seasonal ingredients. We offer a five-course menu of small, medium, salad, large and sweet plates. Our small plates are just a few bites and our large plates are a bit smaller than a conventional main course. We offer a 5-course prix fixed menu every evening, as well as the Feed Me option, which is a 7-course tasting menu selected by the kitchen. You can try one, two or even all five courses - depending on your appetite and curiosity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Lola - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
- 5 star foodhallrDined on 11/7/2013We dinned later in the evening and some menu options were sold out. However, everything they offer is worth it so it was not a problem. I stuck with the beer menu and it offered up some unique choices. I recommend coming here again and again, you'll want to try everything.Special Features:
- We had been to Bar Lola onceBethDined on 11/6/2013We had been to Bar Lola once before and really enjoyed it. We were planning on returning at some point but had not planned it yet. I heard they were closing and immediately made a reservation before we lost our chance. It is such a great restaurant with fantastic food and a wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013A terrific experience, it could not have gotten any better. Food - amazing. Four course prefix with wine pairing was reasonably priced and thoughtfully prepared, with a knowledgeable bar tender presenting each wine glass with a quick recap on the brand and composition. The service in general was a true highlight, from our arrival to our departure we were amazed. The best meal we have had in Portland, hands down. Will certainly be back!Special Features:
- SLOW service...decent foodNEfoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2013We think the food was good here...but after an over 2 hour meal, sometimes waiting 20-25 mins for our next course, we're not sure. People at our table liked what they ordered, it's just that the poor timing overwhelmed our overall impression. Really a shame. And by the way, the one other server in the restaurant didn't seem to have the same time issue as ours did. He was actively engaging tables and bringing food to them while we just waited. Not horrible but really tiring...
- Lovely place. Decent food.food4lifeDined on 10/18/2013The space is great, very intimate and simple. Our waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was good, not outstanding. My first complaint- they do not have salt and pepper on the table and most of the food was in desperate need of both. We chose to partake in the 4 course prefix menu accompanied by the wine pairing. While the food was good, nothing really stood out, with the exception of the Thai noodles which were fantastic! The wine pairings were off for every meal it felt- the person I was dining with chose different items for her prefix and in many cases we felt like our wines could be switched to better suit out meals. All in all, it was a good dining experience, but I don't know that I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 course blind tasting menu !!dininginportlandDined on 10/18/2013We experienced the 7 course blind tasting menu, and it was fantastic! We each got a different dish at every course. They were all fantastic. The service was outstanding. The wind pairing was delicious. This was such a fun foodie experience. I recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie haveneatgoodfoodDined on 10/17/2013This little restaurant on Munjoy Hill was fantastic. I had the prix fixe 4 course dinner and came away feeling that I'd had a topnotch dinner but not overpriced as some of the Portland fine dining places are. The beet soup included beef and sauerkraut to add some zip. The haricot vert salad was crisp and flavorful. The scallops with Brussels sprouts, apple and bacon were so delicious. The dessert, a chocolate peanut butter tart, was good but not as special as the main and sides. There was plenty of food for me, I came out feeling satisfied but not overstuffed. Service was warm and efficient. Décor was serene, and parking was available nearby on the street. Make reservations because the place was full on a Thursday night in late October.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageDinerDined on 10/17/2013I had the four course meal. Two of the dishes were good (the salt cod crostini and the cassoulet), one was adequate (the pulled pork taco) and one was absolutely flavorless (the sesame noodle salad). Our friends who ordered the gnocchi were served large slab of polenta instead. The pacing of the meal was ridiculously slow (20 minutes for our drinks, 40 minutes for bread to arrive). For the price, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- Consistently good food atreviewDined on 10/12/2013Consistently good food at bar Lola but service is not great at this experience was particularly disappointing. Very inattentive waitress and no one else in the dining room helped out. Water glasses were consistently not filled, forks were removed and not replaced. Very disappointing for what we had hoped would be a special evening
- Great find!KkshDined on 10/12/2013We recently ate here for our anniversary. It was fantastic! The food was creative and delicious! Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu. The were able to identify gluten-free dishes for me and others that they were willing to modify for me. The atmosphere was great and the noise level was just right that we didn't think people were listening to our conversation and we could still hear each other. The one potential issue, was the butterscotch pudding. I've never had real pudding before, just Jello. This pudding was creamy but gritty and didn't have an overwhelming butterscotch flavor, it also had a bitter after taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not blown awayMEvisitorDined on 10/10/2013A good but not amazing dining experience---some courses were very good, others were just okay. Service was a bit slow and the restaurant is loud, making it difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- A very memorable meal!BravoDined on 10/5/2013Three of us had the 7 course tasting menu and it an incredible experience! Every plate we had was beautifully presented, imaginative and delicious. The house made agnolotti with chicken livers, amaretti and roasted grapes was sensational, as well as the Maine beet soup with braised beef and sauerkraut. Everything was expertly prepared and every plate was unique. The service was perfectly timed, in addition to being relaxed and friendly. Plus, the tasting menu was very affordable. This was a fantastic meal and very memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife and I were visiting PortlandHiltonDined on 9/28/2013Wife and I were visiting Portland for a weekend getaway, and we wanted to have dinner away from the Waterfront Area which had two large cruise ships in port and lots of tourists walking around for a Saturday night. I looked online and found Bar Lola. Had never been there before and thought we would give it a try based on the reviews. We had an excellent experience with the service, food, and atmosphere. Food was outstanding and very innovative, and a great value for the price. Would definitely recommend it and dine there again the next time we are in Portland. It's in a very nice neighborhood near the Observatory which is a short car or cab ride from the hotels by the Waterfront. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely terrificchuckmac07VIPDined on 9/28/2013wonderful menu & food preparation. terrific service. all in a very comfortable upscale bar-like setting. as good as any restaurant in Portland food-wise. we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing GemTSRA2001VIPDined on 9/19/2013This small restaurant tucked away in a quiet area is amazing. Wine list: innovative and reasonably priced; enjoyed discussing wineries with the wine buyer and learned she prefers small producers with value wines. Regret I couldn't also try the interesting cocktails, as I love herbal concoctions. 4-course meal was fantastic-- carnitas, pasta carbonara, watermelon/feta/arugula (a must!), pork, and lamb; another must is the almond tart. The chef has an exceptional talent for unique combinations, along with the perfect balance of salt and seasonings-- even the dipping oil had the perfect balance as well as the salad dressings. Wish I could spend a day-- or make that a week-- learning from this talented person!Special Features:
- Bar Lola knows they're stuff !!ScottparkerVIPDined on 9/14/2013Brought my family to experience this outstanding restaurant. Stella & Guy thank you so much for a fantastic night and wonderful food. Everyone in my group loved the whole experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Bar LolaJundelDined on 9/14/2013A friend and I had an amazingly good dinner at Bar Lola on a Saturday night. The 4-course selections were diverse and everything was delicious. Service was impeccable. Couldn't ask for a better meal in Portland, Boston or NYC - just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit, Many to Come2MainersDined on 9/7/2013This was our first visit to Bar Lola. The food was exceptional - what a great find! The Prix Fixe is a fantastic deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013Bar Lola does not live up yo a recent review in the Maine Sunday Telegram. The food was good but not exceptional. Small dinning area. Menu confusing. For the price I would not recommend dining at Bar Lola.
- Bar LolaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2013We love this restaurant at the end of Congress... The Pri Fixe menu is a great option, the choices are amazing and it is so reasonable. The food, drinks and wine are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again,great food,wine,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/4/2013Once again,great food,wine, and service. A special place even in a foodie city like Portland.Special Features:
- Bar Lola Bar LovelyJLSangsterDined on 8/30/2013My husband and I moved to Portland a year ago and have been trying various restaurants. When I knew two foodie friends were coming to visit I booked a table to be sure we had our reservation. The restaurant couldn't have more perfect for an outing with old friends. They were wonderful when we showed up a few minutes late and continued with great service throughout. They were able to accommodate my gluten-free diet without compromising the taste of the dishes. The atmosphere is simple elegance and is a true neighborhood gem. We tried the seven-course tasting menu which I highly recommend. The portions are not overly big so you don't feel too full when you finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the reviews indicateavhpVIPDined on 8/30/2013Soft boiled egg appetizer was cooked through and served like a diner breakfast with big bland chunks of oily potatoes and no chorizo in sight. Spreading chicken livers on hard crudité rather than jelling it and slicing over salad was a mistake - you lost the flavor of the liver. Most dish flavors were not on point. For the price, the whole meal should have been better. Very disappointed. Service was great, staff was friendly, but would not return because of the food. Over-rated.
- raising the barOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2013We did the seven course blind tasting. Fantastic. We each were served something different so technically we got 14 courses. Everything was spot on. I don't care for lamb but theirs was delicious. I did the wine pairing and it really complimented the meal. Much thought was put into the pairing. Our server was very personable and helpful. If we ever get the chance to come back to Portland, Bar Lola is a definite on our dining list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the "Feed Me"SupperClubDined on 8/29/2013A 7 course Chef's choice meal. Fabulous! Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really positiveGeenaDined on 8/24/2013Not outstanding but really good and if I lived in Portland I would probably go there often.Special Features:
- One of our best dining experiences!JimPDined on 8/23/2013My wife and I eat out frequently. I'm a fairly accomplished home cook, so we both know a lot about food, and are very picky when we eat out. We can generally find flaws in what are considered to be very good restaurants. But our experience at Bar Lola was wonderful. Each dish was expertly composed and perfectly executed. The waiter was attentive but not bothersome, and was more than willing to go to the kitchen to get answers to a couple of my questions regarding the preparation of our meals. My wife did a four course prix fixe, with a wine pairing for each course. The pairings were also spot on. And the price was very reasonable when compared to other local restaurants of similar quality. Bar Lola is a must for Portland diners.Special Features:
- Bar Lola was the highlightAhhhDinnerDined on 8/22/2013Bar Lola was the highlight of my dining experiences while visiting Portland from NYC. The menu was well edited and featured a playful progression through small first bites, first, second, and third courses, and a fourth and final dessert designation. The ingredients used were very fresh and their quality was apparent in the delicate and flavorful preparations. I especially loved the braised radicchio with a blue cheese vinaigrette and the pork loin with farro, pea tendrils, and garlic jus - perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. The service was excellent - warm, attentive, and expert. I look forward to my next visit to Portland and Bar Lola!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprisingly pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013My wife and I found Bar Lola on Open Table; neither of us had heard of it before (we're newer to the area). We saw it had good reviews and booked it for our 3rd anniversary dinner. We were amazingly surprised with how spectacular the food was. We both got the 4-course Prix Fixe for $36 and even though the portions were a little smaller than you would expect, it was still the perfect amount of food so we didn't leave feeling stuffed. The whole experience (more of an experience than just dinner) was about 2 hours. We would both highly recommend.Special Features:
- Don't kiss this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2013Fantastic food, great wine and impeccable service! We ordered the Feed Me dinner: seven courses of the chef's choice with the wine pairing. Every dish was great! And, not too much food. I couldn't quite finish the main, but my husband ate every bite. Wine knowledge and selections were spot on. Felt like we were in Europe. We are so glad that we tried this place on our trip to Portland. Have never found a place like this in Boston. And, the whole meal, including excessive tip was under $200!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!LocalLadyDined on 8/10/2013What a gem. We had an amazing meal here on a recent visit to Portland. Mellow vibe, attentive service, every bite of food was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at Bar Lola!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2013I recently brought my daughter to Bar Lola to celebrate her graduation from high school. We did the four course Prix Fix with one additional dish that we shared. We shared the corn cake. I had the hand rolled Carbonara - excellent. My daughter had the oil cured tuna with pasta, capers and escarole. She had the watermelon salad, I had the mixed greens with chicken liver mousse. I had the market fish and she had the poussin -- really tasty but harder to eat daintily. But who wants to be dainty. For dessert we had the chocolate & hazelnut parfait and the sweet almond tart. The meal was outstanding. The staff was attentive and helpful. I would definitely dine there again. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Our favorite place in Portland, MEYarmouth555loverDined on 8/8/2013Bar Lola is just an excellent place for great innovative food, friendly service and a comfortable neighborhood atmosphere. It's our "go-to" place for an excellent relaxing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service.THOMASVIPDined on 8/7/2013Wonderful food and service. A fun menu backed by a superb kitchen: Guy H. is a wizard! A favorite restaurant in a foodie city!Special Features:
- Reliably Good Food and Great ValueMercerChowVIPDined on 8/3/2013Bar Lola remains a favorite. The food is very good, the service efficient but relaxed, the wine list interesting, and where else can you get a seven-course tasting menu for $44?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful - Food, Wine, ServicefloraandfaunaDined on 8/2/2013Three of us went for the 4 course prix fixe. I haven't eaten such inspired food in some time. Everything we ordered was wonderful - expert cocktails, inventive food combinations and amazing wine. Our server, Alex, was knowledgeable, friendly and made us feel so welcome. Our favourites were the pork carnitas, marinated octopus, scallops with couscous and poussin with farro. The basil panna cotta for dessert was unbelievably delicious. You can really feel the passion this team has for food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting mneuYumyumDined on 8/1/2013This was a very good find online! We chose the four plate special and each picked out some very different things. The small plates were actually larger than we had expected. The scallops for the main course were great and there were four of them! The watermelon and arugula salad was a wonderful summertime combination. The pulled pork taco was also excellent. They were very accommodating when I asked to keep spicy sauces on the side. The sweet almond tart for dessert was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Portland's finestOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/31/2013The Chef / Owner, Guy, is very creative and skilled. This is a terrific place for Foodies who love tastings, and for locals alike. Stella knows her wines and gives thought to perfect pairings. This is an easy dining experience, in that they will be glad to prepare an interesting meal without having to make multiple choices...unless you elect so. Bravo. One of my favorite restaurants for charm of the management, top quality local fish, meats and veggies, excellent creativity that is always pleasing to discover a new dish or a amazing twist on an old standard and the wine selection will satisfy any lover of fermented grapes. They just keep getting better, year after year. If you can only eat at 5 places in Portland, make this one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in a City of Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/26/2013Fresh local ingredients, an innovative menu, and great wine pairings make Bar Lola a great neighborhood restaurant. Although they don't usually take bigger groups, they "made it happen" for our seven diners. Locals frequent the restaurant, but our server made us out-of-towners feel welcome. It is very small, so make your reservations early, and because of the fabulous food, don't expect to walk-in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!HollyDined on 7/26/2013A recommendation brought us to Bar Lola. They did a fabulous job of working with us as we had an event to attend after dinner. The food was exceptional and we loved the wine pairing, especially having the owner present each glass to us for each course. My husband and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.