Bar Lola - Boston
160 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Bar Lola - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barlola.com/
- Phone: 617-266-1122
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bar Lola - Boston
It is the philosophy of BarLola, where one can simultaneously drink, enjoy Spanish music, mingle, and eat ones way round a wonderful gastronomic spectrum. It is our goal to make sure that we only serve authentic dishes that are as close to the original presentation and taste as those you would find in different regions of Spain. We have a fantastic selection of wines, cavas, beers, and other signature cocktails to accompany your meal. We make every effort to ensure that the majority of our key ingredients are imported from Spain. Our kitchen team members come from Spain, descendants of Spain or of Latin ancestry to ensure authenticity and standards. ***NOTE: Every Sunday evening we have live Flamenco shows Sunday Night at 8pm. Please note that there is a $20 minimum per person (toward food and drink) for the show. It will be assumed that all reservations made 7pm and 8pm are for the show. If you will not be joining us for the show, please let us know*Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Lola - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (18)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)special occasion (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great range of tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Bar Lola has a variety of tapas. The outdoor seating is great for a warm night. Sunday night is Flamenco night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDvalegoDined on 7/26/2014Great place that locals know about no or not too many tourist. Food is excellent and great value for price in the back bay. Highly recommend! Neat cool atmosphere great outdoor patio for nice weather too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas and drinksmdiddyVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food and service there is always great and the outdoor seating is nice. Would recommend to anyone, particularly as a date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBostonFoodieDined on 7/11/2014I've never waited 40 minutes for a bill after my table was cleared... until I came here. Our waitress was SO unpersonable and frankly rude. No eye contact, rushed us to order, and began walking away as we finished up ordering hardly getting it all let alone asking if that was all we would like. Food was mediocre at best and sugary sangria light on the alcohol content was $28 for a tiny pitcher. I was so embarrassed to have surprised my date with this restaurant as we both wanted nothing more than to leave, and get great food and service elsewhere, which is exactly what we did.
- Great date spotJustinDined on 7/9/2014We finally tried this place after walking by it several times. We were able to sit outside on a perfect summer night, and the restaurant did not disappoint! The food was excellent, and our waitress made some great suggestions. The drink menu has some great options as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014Update your online menu!!!! I went based upon items on the online menu - big disappointment. The place was dead - only a few parties total 6 people in the dining room - but you heard every conversation in detail. With other tapas places - especially Tapeo - I wouldn't go back.
- Disappointing.BTATDined on 6/27/2014Disinterested wait staff. Americanized tapas. Poorly executed food prep. Does not hold up as a metropolitan tapas restaurant. Would not return.
- Sunday Night FlamencoOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed a wonderful Spanish wine and tapas during our visit -- the 8pm Flamenco performance was outstanding. The room is small, but the noise level was moderate and we loved the guitarist. Not sure what the negative reviewers experienced in terms of service -- we were greeted warmly and our server (Selso) was attentive and friendly. This is a must-do for Sunday Night entertainment. I am so happy we found this gem.Special Features:
- Tapas and Flamenco - great fun!AnayaDined on 6/8/2014Every Sunday evening Bar Lola has Flamenco performances at 6 and 8 pm that I highly recommend. Intimate space, inexpensive Spanish wines by the glass, and delicious tapas of all kinds. I felt as if I had spent the evening in southern Spain! Nice outdoor patio below street level is an added plus.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!JoJoDined on 6/8/2014The flamenco student show was fabulous! Food was very good - wide variety of tapas. Service was not good - long waits to have our order taken and receive food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not wthat I expectedfeb29Dined on 5/25/2014food wasnt not spanish authentic food and not even good at all. Service is poor. Too few servers for the amount of people at the restaurant. Will not come back again. Not worth a second visit.
- Great restaurant!anonymousDined on 5/22/2014Food was excellent! Great date spot! The crab cakes and spinach and artichoke dip were amazing! Also had the banana and chocolate bread pudding dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!JojoVIPDined on 5/20/2014Lovely meal. Great service. Superb drinks. Loved the small Paella as an option for a tapas. Will definitelt want to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Lola LolitafoodaholicDined on 5/17/2014Vibrant atmosphere with great drinks and very good food! Good place to just hang out around the bar and nosh on some good eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last timeDBMADined on 5/3/2014This was our 4th or 5th visit to Bar Lola, and we visited on a relatively quiet Saturday because the restaurant only appeared to be about 2/3 full. Service was good, but not great. Considering that the restaurant was not full, and considering that we had experienced better on previous visits, the fact that we had to ask for something rather than being asked if needed something was unusual. Food was mostly very good. We ordered tortilla española off of the Tapas Frías selection and it was served warm. Not a huge deal, but not what was expected. gambas al ajillo was good, but tasted overly salty to us. Again, we've dined here before and had better. Red sangria was as good as always, and a pitcher of the stuff goes down quickly and enjoyably.
- perfect evening with family/friendslighthouseDined on 5/2/2014We were a large group of 8. All the dishes we ordered were delicious and served at the perfect temperature. Our waiter was helpful in navigating the menu, making suggestions which were great. Will be back for another dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 276 reviews are from the Bar Lola - Boston reviews archive.
- Great Flamenco Music On SundaysWestCoastVisitorDined on 4/20/2014We went to Bar Lola to check out the Sunday night flamenco guitar and dancing as we are both flamenco fans and I have studied flamenco guitar. The music and dancing were very good. We went for the music, not the food but it turned out the food was truly excellent - we would come back for the food alone. We are in Boston another month and plan to go back at least one more Sunday before we leave. We don't get many opportunities to enjoy flamenco here in the US so this is a great find.Special Features:
- Huge portions for tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014Good food. Friendly waitstaff. Very enjoyable. Seemed like the bar was going to be very loud but we were seated in the dining area and it was perfect. So something for everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday night flamencoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014Wonderful Sunday night flamenco in an intimate setting. A great find in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flamenco was nice, but too long.KintdesDined on 3/16/2014Spanish guitar was more appreciated, as the space is very small. Food was good, just not noteworthy.
- Cute place, okay foodAboyDined on 3/15/2014The food was fine--not bad but not great. The space is very cute and fun. I would go back for a drink and something small at the bar.
- Simultaneously hip and comfortableAllyourbaseDined on 3/15/2014BarLola has a great vibe that backs up the look with some great tasting food. The menu is lengthy and will make it tough on even the picky diners to narrow their choices. Don't worry, the small plates have enough food for sharing. Not to be missed in Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014Everything was great about this restaurant. My only complaint is our waitress had an attitude like she wanted to be somewhere else and wasn't very attentive. However I would definitely come back as the food, drinks and ambience are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas, not a bad dishsteveDined on 2/20/2014Great Tapas, not a bad dish so far. Sangria was great. The bar seems to be a good scene after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a very good valueJoeInBostonVIPDined on 1/18/2014While there were no standout aspects to this restaurant (other than the outdoor seating, which we could not avail ourselves of in January), there was also nothing to complain about. The food was good, the prices reasonable, the server friendly, and the ambiance pleasant. There were 5 of us and no one was disappointed with their meal. And the final bill was extremely reasonable. I would give this BarLola 5 stars for value. I will go back.Special Features:
- Quiet Evening, Good FoodHarryVIPDined on 1/15/2014It was cold, and I was looking for a relaxed place, informal, with good food and lots of selections. Bull's eye! No complaints ... will head back in the spring!Special Features:
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2014On Sunday nights they have a live flamenco band with dancers. They were awesome and very entertaining. I tried several small plates and every single one tasted delicious. I really enjoyed the fried scallops, the duck dish, and the crepe desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum YumOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/21/2013Tapas = Small, right? Not here, still small, but listen to the waitstaff when they advise you on the amount of plates you order, they are larger here than typical tapas. Sangria was good, not the best I've ever had, but right on par with the expectation. If you are looking for quiet place and quick food turn-around, go there before 8pm. If you want busy, vibrant and slower service, go after 8pm. Our waitress was great. Food was great. Time was great. Price was appropriate (though the pitcher of sangria was not worth the $$ it costs, but again, how can you have a date at a tapas place without sangria? Overall, I would go back and recommend others go there as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They could use sound absorbers.DynahVIPDined on 11/20/2013They could use sound absorbers. The walls are painted brick, ceilings copper tile and the floor tiled so it becomes very loud very quickly. Add music and a few drinks and it echoes. Food is good. Service unattentive.Special Features:
- Great Birthday NightAnightoutDined on 11/16/2013We took my friend out for her birthday at Bar Lola and we all had a great time! The tapas were delicious and the wait staff was very accommodating. They even brought us a dessert with a candle in it and turned all the lights off for her to blow it out! It was also fairly reasonable. We ordered 14 tapas, a dessert, and 4 pitchers of sangria for the group and it came out to only $40 a person, tip included (there were 7 of us). The only minor complaint I have is the sangria we ordered (white sangria) wasn't very strong, but it still tasted great! I would definitely recommend this spot for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The flamenco show was incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2013The flamenco show was incredible and very intimate. The ambience was amazing. I am allergic to gluten and the server was very helpful in assuring that I had plenty of options to choose from. The food was great and not your typical tapas. I highly recommend this restaurant. It was also my birthday, and the restaurant made it a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itAGV0279Dined on 11/2/2013This restaurant was very disappointing. From the poor service to even worse food, we will not be back. Apparently things have changed and not for the best.
- Tapas for EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/29/2013If you like a variety of tapas and have at least 3 people, this place is a great option. First time there, but we ordered about 8 different things, all under $10. Tortilla wasnt the best I've had, and I love them, so I was a little disappointed. After that, it was great. Loved the lamb chops and the rabitt.Special Features:
- Delicious tapas and MartinisSmartPakerLissaDined on 10/26/2013I found Bar Lola when looking for a tapas restaraunt for a friend and I to go to. Bar Lola was perfect! We had some delicious Martinis followed by fantastic food. The blueberry cheese ravioli were a yummy surprise. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Lola Just So-So-LaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2013Food was just OK. Some bright spots, some not so bright...but that is somewhat the nature of tapas. Service was great/attentive. Atmosphere is funky, and would be good for a large group. Outdoor patio looks like it'd be fun in nice weather.Special Features:
- Birthday funDCBostonVIPDined on 10/17/2013We came here for a fun dinner for a birthday of one of our girlfriends. The food and drinks were great. The place...super cute. Our server, however, was lacking. She barely came by the table. She was not enthusiastic...at all. It seemed like she forgot about us most of the time...or wanted to. I'd definitely go back again to give them another try because I think it was an off night for service.Special Features:
- Flamenco!Illini48Dined on 10/13/2013The tapas are good and great to share with a group. A good selection and variety. Great wine, as well. But the real reason to go is to see the flamenco dancing on Sunday night. The dancers were very, very good and if you closed your eyes and drank a little more Spanish wine, you'd swear you were in Madrid or Barcelona.Special Features:
- Bar Lola is the perfect placeKESundayDined on 10/11/2013Bar Lola is the perfect place to meet up with friends for a few drinks and shared plates. Great atmosphere with friendly service and a variety of delicious tapas to munch on while you catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flamenco nightfoodiemegs13Dined on 9/15/2013I simply came here for the flamenco night and I was not disappointed except for the noisy guests who were loud during the performance besides that it was a great outing. Food was good. I had the bunuelos (sp?). Sangria was ok I guess. Very attentive host!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2013The food was outstanding but our server was awful. Never checked in with us, only got one drink during entire meal. Gave us the check without asking if we wanted anything else. The runners was good but waitstaff terrible.Special Features: