768 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baritaliamadison.com/
- Phone: 9175466676
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Denis Franceschini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Italian back ground music during the day.
Soft and Lounge Music during the evening.
A word from Bar Italia
Very refreshing, simple and Casual but yet Elegant offering Traditional Italian Fair. Located in the middle of it all on Madison between 65 and 66 streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (12)romantic (11)late-night find (11)special occasion (10)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- As good as it getsFoodie101VIPDined on 9/4/2014Unpretentious The former executive chef of Cipriani international makes this gem a winner. Not to be missed Our favorite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014Always enjoy going there, really nice staff and the food is always good. Already booked to go back.Special Features:
- Devoted fanTheMartinsDined on 8/23/2014We eat here every week and never get tired of the great food and service. Highly recommend this neighborhood gem. The chef owner cares about his customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five StarFoodie101VIPDined on 8/20/2014Forget the Michelin Stars and the pretentious stuffy places and give Bar Itialia a try... They will not disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful dinnerhappycamperDined on 8/16/2014Our dinner at Bar Italia was wonderful from the moment we walked in the door. The atmosphere is chic and fun, and the staff is very charming Service was impeccable--both professional and efficient--and the food was absolutely delicious! Very Italian indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Girlfriend BirthdayHelenDined on 8/15/2014Staff was very attentive. We got seated immidiately with 2choices in the back of restaurant or infront w views of the street-we choosed seating in the back. It was my friend Birthday! They brought at the end of dinner tiramisu w all staff singing to Imee Happy Birthday. She felt very special and it was very memorable moment for her. Food was delicious- we had 3 dinner courses-it was very tasty. Juan our server was taking care for us great! Thank You! We will be back! We r recommending everybody who loves great tasty italian food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Authentic Italian FoodJC9807Dined on 8/12/2014I walked in to Bar Italia yesterday and sat at the bar and was pleased at the exceptional service provided from the bartender, Maitre' d and even the waiter who not hesitant to offer some suggestions on what I should order. The food really is like being in Italy, it is simple yet delicious. Overall the experience was great once again. I hope to be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014The food is always great, the staff really nice and attentive and I always enjoy going there and have a good time.Special Features:
- Much prefer it for lunchDreamerDined on 8/7/2014Perhaps because lunchtime was less crowded (it was Winter and the consecutive days we visited were very cold indeed) this evening meal was a relative disappointment. The only thing that is still excellent is the food. Top quality, imaginatively cooked and combined ingredients but from the moment it reaches your table (if it reaches you in time) the down cycle starts. Crowded tables and noisy neighbors contribute to the unpleasant atmosphere. The whole ambience gives the impression that not all customers are treated in the same courteous manner. Unfortunately today this is the characteristic of many establishments that otherwise offer excellent food.Special Features:
- Great Food but FranticFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014If you don't mind a noisy, frantic atmosphere then it's worth the trip for the well prepared Italian fare. Service is slow so you'll have plenty of time to take in the Madison Ave. upper crust scene.Special Features:
- Overall, very goodluv2chkoutnewrestaurantsDined on 7/30/2014The decor is beautiful with it's black and white theme and the racks of red wine bottles giving it that added contrast. My coworker and I went there to try it out during restaurant week. We loved it. Just one small negative; my coworker's salmon grilled salmon entree was raw in the center.Special Features:
- extra special serviceGabzDined on 7/17/2014A lovely evening. I particularly appreciated their honoring my request for a quiet table. Especially on a very busy night. They gave us the quietest and most comfortable table and the food was divineSpecial Features:
- Sports bar atmosphereMarlenedcVIPDined on 7/13/2014We arrived during the World cup not realizing that this was more sports bar than fine Italian restaurant. The service was at first quite poor because everyone in the restaurant was focused on the World Cup. No problem, the tvs were in plain sight and we could have left. The food was fresh and more expensive than it should have been for plain fish and accompanying salad. My husband had a pork chop which was not a chop but large pieces of pork. No substitutions of any kind even though the menu had lots of possibilities which might have been rearranged. The simplest request of shrimp and spaghetti was denied since that combo was only gluten free. Air-conditioning was dripping on customers. Super expensive for mediocre fare.
- disappointing experiencedisappointedVIPDined on 7/11/2014quality of food and service was poor and we were very disappointed. waiter suggested more appetizers than we needed and did not take orders correctly. over priced for value received
- tasty!AandJVIPDined on 6/17/2014All their dishes were very good. The deserts are expensive $14 & up but we enjoyed hard chocolate covered 'Tartufo' very much.Special Features:
- great foodFaiarVIPDined on 6/11/2014I love that you can order a half bowl of pasta also lots of gluten free dishes great wines keep on going back great crowdSpecial Features:
- Deeelish :)OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner here. The staff were friendly and very attentive. We shared the Bronzino and the truffle pasta - AMAZING!! Salads and dessert were fabulous too. Definitely returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Bar Italia reviews archive.
- overpricedMokenVIPDined on 4/20/2014There's a difference between expensive and overpriced, sadly, this falls into the latter. Everything was fine but it just tried too hard to be something it wasn’t and didn’t mind charging for it.
- Always GreatUESguyDined on 4/18/2014Bar Italia is a terrific pick for delicious food in a great ambiance on the Upper East Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite lunch spotCeliaVIPDined on 3/20/2014The great staff at Bar Italia always courteous and welcoming are only outdone by the wonderful food. Often drop in with friends without a reservation for an early lunch and they always accommodate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place is a true gem.katesDined on 3/15/2014this place is a true gem. Food is out of this world. The owner and Chef Denis is tops in his Field. Fantastic wait staff. Beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate food and no attitudedecerningdinerVIPDined on 2/28/2014We eat at this restaurant once a week and always enjoy it thoroughly. The pastas are homemade. Terrific Chicken Milanese. Great wines by the glass - a rare find. The owner and the waiters are so courteous. They make us feel welcome and never rush our dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointingmuffieVIPDined on 2/28/2014A very disappointing Restaurant Week lunch. Menu selection was uninteresting and only two choices in each course. Head- waiter came to the table after the bill was paid and complained about the amount of the tip-in front of the guests. Most unprofessional and embarrassing to the host. When this was mentioned to the owner he did apologize, but I have never had an experience like this in my life ( I was not the host). The space is very attractive, although the tables are extremely close together.
- Restaurant WeekthekazanDined on 2/23/2014Will definitely come back here, the wine was delicious, the food amazing (really good portions for a restaurant week menu), really great service, great coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DARphotoDined on 2/18/2014Had the opportunity to dine at Bar Italia during restaurant week. Delicious food. Excellent service and decor. Great wine list. Worth checking out if you are in the area. Look forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there on super bowlJohnVIPDined on 2/2/2014We were there on super bowl night and there was only one other couple. Noise level was "nonexistent". But this is a noisy place when full up.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rightdcbandorDined on 1/23/2014Many UES restaurants are too trendy, too formal, too loud, too expensive or too crowded. Bar Italia is just right - location, food & atmosphere. With nice gluten-free choices too. And an amazing poster of Sophia Loren.Special Features:
- Great dining spot but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2014I met two friends for dinner and we enjoyed the atmosphere, comfort and food in the restaurant. it was nice to be able to catch up on our lives with patient waiters and not having to compete with a competing noise level in may restaurants these days. However, although the food was excellent, it was very expensive.....remarkably so.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gathering!!YummyVIPDined on 1/15/2014We have been here a few times, great place, but the prices have seemed to rise quite a bit!!!! No need for that!! I'm not sure very many "common" people could afford this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cooking in a small kitchen!decerningdinerVIPDined on 1/14/2014Great cooking in a small kitchen! Friendly waiters. One of my favorite restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ambiancePleasedVIPDined on 1/9/2014Bar Italia is really a find. The food is truly excellent and the prices are reasonable. Also the service is excellent: they are very welcoming, helpful, responsive, and friendly. It is also very attractively appointed, the rest room is clean and also attractive, and when the weather is warm, they have pleasant outdoor seating. Being able to reserve on line with Open Table is also much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - Great!pjuneDined on 12/31/2013Bar Italia is always great -- great and interesting food --décor is black and white theme but very warm as well -- great and attentive service -- very fun and vibrant atmosphere without being too noisy -- a fabulous place for lunch or dinner;Special Features:
- fun dining experiencectdannDined on 12/19/2013We read the open table reviews before booking a table. Most were good and a few just ok. We decided to go ahead and book a reservation. We had a fabulous waiter who made great recommendations from the menu. Very attentive. The food was really good. the restaurant was packed and had a very energetic and fun atmosphere. Will definitely go back and recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant dining experience.MiekeDined on 12/15/2013A very pleasant dining experience. We received a warm welcome and excellent service. Both I and my dinner companion enjoyed our delicious pasta dishes and a lovely glass of chianti. The red wines by the glass selection was varied and interesting. The decor may be a little stark in its monochrome whiteness, but the ambience felt warm and lively regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/4/2013went there for dinner, was very noisy, food just about uneatable. we cancelled a second reservation we already made with another couple for the following week and went somewhere else. perhaps it was just an off night. I might try again.
- DeliciosoBebeVIPDined on 12/1/2013The food was delicious - some of the best gnocchi I have ever had. Only one complaint - my martini was knocked over as soon as it was placed on the table and the waiter did not offer me a new drink which I feel he should have done.Special Features:
- No wayOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/29/2013We were promptly seated for breakfast but had to beg for menus which arrived 30 min later. What followed was non- stop attitude until the check arrived. THEN it was all smiles. Not going back despite the gorgeous view.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesFoodie101VIPDined on 11/19/2013Very creative and tastie Itilian dishes Veal milanese is the best Carbonara can't be beatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchHOPEDined on 11/16/2013We had the lunch best experience yet. We were treated so well by Martin, Gabriel, and Chef Denis. The food and drinks were outstanding. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful real Italian foodfilippo47VIPDined on 11/14/2013Wonderful real Italian food as always. Good service, tables a little cramped but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.