Bar Italia Ristorante
13 Maryland plaza
Saint Louis, MO 63108Neighborhood:
Central West End
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bar Italia Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baritaliastl.com/
- Phone: (314) 361-7010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mengesha Yohannes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will bring Bar Italia to you for in home or at work lunches and dinners for parties of 15 or more
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 150 guests
different packages are available.
- Private Party Contact: Lassaad Jeliti 314 494 7721
A word from Bar Italia Ristorante
For authentic Italian cuisine come join us at Bar Italia Ristorante!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bar Italia Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Central West End ›
Bar Italia Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (17)special occasion (17)notable wine list (14)good for groups (10)hot spot (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Service Took Too Long!DanMacDined on 11/8/2014We made reservations for 4 and notified the hostess and server upon arriving that we were time crunched and would need to move our dinner along quickly. It took 40 minutes for our food to come out after we ordered it. Most of that time was spent post appetizer and salad with an empty table. We had to ask for our checks as soon as the main dishes arrived to the table. One in my party complained about his potato being cold. We additionally observed that the food was coming out to all the tables around us at about the exact same time despite those tables having arrived 15 to 20 minutes after we did. There clearly must have been a breakdown in the kitchen. Do not eat here unless you have at least a good 2 hours to spend dining.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Always very good food and service, but a bit priceySpecial Features:
- Great food, better servicemagpieDined on 11/2/2014Our server was incredibly knowledgeable and we followed his suggestions to the best meal we've had there yet. The food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner, but...YummersDined on 10/10/2014Both our main courses were excellent: Salmon and Papardelle with shrimp and scallops. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the fresh tomato sauce for the pasta had the right amount of punch. This is the main event for the dinner, so I am giving a good review. But, the Mista salad was a disappointment - poorly assembled and presented - only worthy of an old-fashioned Italian restaurant that just throws lettuce in bowl with a single wedge of tomato and a sliver of artichoke. I suggest more care in the salad, it is the first impression of the meal that is about to arrive. The Prosecco was tasteless - bland. I was suspicious based on the low price, but a higher quality is warranted. Our waiter was excellent. The owner was friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food is delicious and the service is friendly and accomodating. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Good in so many waysVoltronDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I are lucky -- we live in the Central West End, one of the best neighborhoods in the United States. One of the attributes of the CWE is its great restaurants, and Bar Italia is at the top of the list. The food is very creative Italian, and Robel Yohannes, one of the three brothers who started Bar Italia 20 years ago, makes sure that all of the restaurant patrons are being well cared for. The wine list is superb (of course, leaning towards Italian Vino) and the waiters are very helpful in helping with the wine selection (I love the selection of Amarone on the select wine list). Outdoor garden dining is the best, with a good view of the vibrant Central West End neighborhood.Special Features:
- Splendid placeCastelloDined on 9/28/2014We have been going here for many years. Why? Because it is wonderful for the taste buds and for the soul. The Pollo Agro Dolce, a medieval Venetian recipe, is a rare and splendid dish. The Caponata, Carpaccio and Insalata di Finocchio are among our favorites. A large selection of good Italian wines and friendly service. A place to leave your cares behind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Graves26Dined on 9/26/2014It was a very enjoyable experience. We had a very attentive server who was great about explaining menu items and options. The only thing was he was a little late with bringing out the bread. I ordered the pork chops and they were amazing with this mushroom sauce! I tried a little of the other people's food in my party and most of it was very good; the salmon, however, wasn't very flavorful. It was bustling and the outdoor seating was very comfortable. I also really enjoyed our view of the street. I will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Love BarItaliaenjoydiningoutDined on 9/11/2014Food was wonderful and early in the evening it was nice and quiet. It can get a little loud later.Special Features:
- busy weekend but no excusenottyDined on 8/31/2014Went to restaurant Sunday Aug. 31. Our waiter was obviously tired , but that was really no excuse for the service or the quality of the food. It took 45 min before we even got appetizer, which was olives and cheese. the cheese was poor quality and the bread was terrible. there was confusion over what salads were offered. Our waiter had not told us about the special salads. I ordered one off my menu and waiter argued about it even being on the menu at all. I did finally order one of the special salads . I also ordered halibut. My husband ordered a beef special which he thought was good. I got my salad. I never did get my entrée. . we have always liked bar italia, but not sure that we will ever go back after this experience.
- Good but not greatSTLnewbeeDined on 8/15/2014We dined out and it turn out to be a cloudy and then rainy night. Their patio is a good location but could be beautified a little more with some flowering plants or a fountain or something to improve ambience. We started with very nice caprese salad and my husband's very much liked his scallop dish. My pasta with sausage and eggplant wasn't anything to rave about. I wasn't that happy with the sauce. Service was good and we enjoyed the wine that our server recommended. Good choice. Service was good.
- dinner summer eveninginfohoundDined on 8/10/2014We came for an early dinner. Sat on patio which was not crowded at 5pm. We got talking and didn't leave til 10pm. The patio filled up but there was no pressure to leave. It was a gorgeous night for August in St. Louis. Had pasta, scallops, shrimp special that was delicious. Really enjoyed.Special Features:
- Perfect way to relaxbmoreVIPDined on 8/9/2014The menu is varied, the service was really warm & attentive, the Host/Owner (very charming). The food is consistently delicious, visually appealing and has something for everyone! I especially enjoyed the watermelon/beet/arugula salad. We love the patio and the owner came round to chat, he couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- As alwaysMememeDined on 8/8/2014Lovely. Greta food, good service, ambience perfect. Noise level very acceptable both inside and out on patio. Always a favorite for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 362 reviews are from the Bar Italia Ristorante reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2014Great outdoor dining in the CWE! We enjoyed our food, espresso martini!! and of course dessert:)Special Features:
- WestEnd Gem!!EckyDined on 7/19/2014We love the west end when we are in St Louis. One of our favorite hotels is the Chase Park Plaza. Bar Italia is just across the street. Great patio on a nice night, good live jazz, food is delicious and despite the large crowd the service is quick. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014Very good service, great food and good management and organization. Wonderful outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysNicknameVIPDined on 7/11/2014I always love Bar Italia...and it did not disappoint. Food was excellent, service was perfect. Julia, our server, was great! And a beautiful night to sit outside.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseGmanDined on 7/4/2014We took friends here from out of town, primarily for the great patio and ambience. We had not been in quite a while and were very pleased with our meals. We had veal and pasta and they had trout and the porkchop and all four were excellent. Service was a bit slow, not sure if that is typical or just our waiter. Beautiful patio, great location and good people watching.Special Features:
- Love2DineDined on 6/28/2014We've gone to Bar Italia for years, mostly for special occasions and have never been disappointed. The staff and owners are engaging, knowledgeable and attentive. The patio setting is lush and beautiful. On our last visit there were grapes ripening on the grape arbor and the music was an eclectic mix, including some Brazilian favorites. On a previous visit, one of the owners was sampling wine and graciously shared some samples with us. This is a one of a kind dining experience--comfortable and first-rate.The ambiance is incredible. Expect the unexpected and expect to be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjavamama3VIPDined on 6/18/2014We have dined here many times & it never has disappointed. But this time took it up a notch. Specials that were refreshing for summer. Snap pea salad with brasseola, a scallop & shrimp pappardelle with slightly spicy tomato sauce that was incredible, a tenderloin medium rare that melted... Our waiter had some special wines by the glass that were off menu & from their cellar & after tasting the first, we just let him pick for us & pair with our food. Fantastic. A bit pricey, but worth the quality of food & experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMS1026Dined on 6/15/2014We went for brunch and the food was very good. The staff was very friendly. The services was too slow, although we were told a large group showed up without a reservation before us and, therefore, our wait was extremely prolonged. Overall a very nice time.Special Features:
- ESG1VIPDined on 6/7/2014With lovely food and great service,we love to dine at Bar Italia. Food is beautifully presented and is very flavorful. Quite a few off menu items to choose from. We will be back soon...Special Features:
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014This is one of the best places to eat dinner on a nice spring or summer evening. The atmosphere is wonderful, and the food, as always, is excellent. If they have it, try the scampi and shrimp pasta special. Also, ask for the reserve wine list; there are some really good Italian wines on that list that are fairly restaurant priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dbranchDined on 5/24/2014The place was pretty cool. It was a nice night so the scenery was great for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian done rightFoodForThoughtDined on 5/24/2014The menu is complete with a plethora of salads, pastas and entrees before even being told of the specials. I had the special consisting of a generous portion of sea bass on a bed of black lentils topped with caponata. The fish was cooked perfectly and the lentils were nice and tender. Bar Italia is well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceJimCDined on 5/24/2014We had a good dinner, great service. Overall a relaxing fun dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not special.RealFoodAdvocateDined on 5/24/2014First visit here and we were celebrating a graduation. Location was great. Service was good. Food choices were good, portion sizes good (not huge) and tasted reasonable but we all felt they were nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014We had an enjoyable dinner with our family at Bar Italia. The location and outdoor dining make for a great atmosphere. We were a little worried after being served the asparagus appetizer. It was a very sparse looking, pitiful plate of exceptionally thin asparagus spears with small piles of prosciutto and parmesan. The salmon and pasta entrees were great, though, and made up for the rough start. My two boys each had a kid's portion of buttered noodles, which they loved. At $9 each it's possible we were overcharged for them, as this was way too much for the tiny meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014I came here on a beautiful night and it was such a great night to be outside and enjoy the neighborhood. My food was amazing - best risotto dish I've ever had. The only downside was the service. Our server was short with us and not very friendly. I'm not sure if its because we were young, but he was kind of rude. He didn't even tell us about any specials on the menu - the only reason I found out about them was because I asked. Still though, I'd definitely come back for the food!Special Features:
- Excellent table upstairsenjoydiningoutDined on 5/17/2014Bar Italia is one of my favorite places to take out of town guests, and we were not disappointed. We ate there Sat night in the midst of the graduation groups, and had a great experience. It was probably a little too loud for my taste, but that didn't diminish the experience. Service was wonderful, in spite of the crowd. Food was outstanding, and every bit as good as I remembered. I look forward to dining there again when it's warmer and we can sit on the great patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodStephanieDined on 5/16/2014Great food, lots of special fish, veal, lamb, etc dishes with interesting glazes and sauces. The restaurant was able to customize a dish for my mother, who has several food allergies. Low lighting and tables distributed across several smaller rooms makes this a great potential date setting. The servers were timely and considerate, though they were all dressed slightly more casually than I would have expected from the prices on the menu (collared shirts made of a non-dressy material and untucked).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for Happy hour celebrationKellybDined on 5/16/2014delicious appetizers and nice wine list, we enjoyed a celebration of a students graduation accomplishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?MamaMiaDined on 5/11/2014We brought some friends here for dinner on Mother's Day to "show" them one of our favorite dining establishments. Unfortunately, the staff and management seemed to have been overwhelmed during the afternoon and incapable of producing quality dining experiences for the full day. Our experience that evening (5:30) was definitely not up to past experiences. The wait staff was incredibly slow and the kitchen was out of several dishes. By the time we got to dessert, the only items left were gelato, a chocolate cake, and a cheesecake that looked like it was a couple of days old. This has been one of our favorite restaurants for the past 10 years, but with so many other good restaurants in St. Louis, we will think twice before returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Disengaged ServiceSteveVIPDined on 5/11/2014The kitchen executes well and the meal served is good. The service, though friendly, is usually disengaged and inefficient. Servers and others drift through the dining area without a specific purpose in mind leaving guests to wonder whether their water glass will be refilled, if they will get bread or not, or receive the check in a timely fashion. We hesitate bringing guests with us to dine here when there are other CWE restaurants that deliver excellent service consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okdrcanDined on 5/2/2014nothing spectacular but a decent date night. Service was slow and the restaurant didnt appear that busy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014I have eaten here several times and always enjoyed my meal and time here. My dish of veal with shrimp was not quite as good as the usual cooking but that won't prevent me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SuperiorOnTheRoadFoodiesDined on 4/6/2014Bar Italia is always superior in the multi- flavors present in their dishes. Creative and delicious. The service on this particular occasion was wonderful . . . we had our 22 month old granddaughter with us. She has allergies which the chef handled with aplomb and grace. Everyone was pleasant and cheerful in helping us. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just an average mealDebinSTLVIPDined on 4/5/2014It has been a long time since we have been out in the Central West End and we needed some Italian since we were carbo loading for the Go Marathon. While our meal was just fine, this place is just nothing real special. It seems a little run down, the décor feels cheap and was really not that memorable. The food was good and our server did an excellent job but we couldn't get past how cheap the place felt. With CWE being such a trendy, hip place now, they need to get with the program and bring it up a notch.
- Awesome FoodFirstTimerDined on 3/28/2014Service was a little awkward, but we got plenty of attention, drinks refilled, etc. The food was REALLY good, way better than I expected. The inside of the place could definitely use some sprucing up. I don't really feel like there's a theme, just some tables and chairs thrown together where there is room. The atmosphere feels a little strange, and it was quite noisy for not having many people inside. If you're going strictly for the meal, this is the place to go. If you are going for the atmosphere, this probably isn't the place for you. Also, they were out of our first 3 drink options, which was a little disappointing, but not a big deal. I would think on a Friday night they would be a little more prepared though.Special Features: