400 Wheatley Plaza
Greenvale, NY 11548Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barfrites.com/
- Phone: 5164847500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bar Frites
Bar Frites is open daily and serves French bistro fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bar Frites - Best Restaurants in Greenvale ›
Bar Frites reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (60)great for lunch (56)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (44)great for brunch (42)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (40)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (27)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (14)notable wine list (10)romantic (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Solid/ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Bar Frites filled a need that was really apparent in the general area of Greenvale. This place has almost zero competition, and the bar scene/restaurant proves that, as generally it's filled most nights. The menu is what you might expect from an Americanized French steak restaurant, very reliable and delicious. It might be a little pricey for a general family outing, but there are some less expensive offerings on the menu like pasta. All in all, a very solid restaurant with good service and excellent location.Special Features:
- Too Fast ServiceBigBoyCookingDined on 8/21/2014I have been to this restaurant at least 8 times. This last visit was nice, but the service of food was too fast. I can understand Ownership wanting to turn the table, but to be served everything (appetizer, entrée, and Dessert under an hour for a party of 4 is too fast. Should be maybe 1 1 /2 hour). They need to remember or think about what type of customer do they want? Someone that visits frequently, or jut once or twice?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service are always goodClamsonadeadshellVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food and service are always good. They change the menu periodically, which can be a good thing, but they took away the one tuna preparation that I really came in for, so that was disappointing. But there is a good variety . Recommend More vegetarian soup and main course options.Special Features:
- BAR FRITESsgreenbVIPDined on 8/5/2014ALWAYS A GOOD TIME AT BAR FRITES...SERVICE, FOOD, AND SCENE, ALL IN ONE PLACESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014We do love this restaurant in spite of the very high level of noise. It has a warmth & special feeling from the time you arrive. The drinks are excellent, as is everything we've ordered. Both the Lobster & Chinese Chicken Salads are great for lunch. It's all fresh & well-prepared, & you always leave feeling special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic timesRoslyngalllllDined on 7/29/2014always go to bar frites and order it into the house. Gr8 food, gr8 times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Shore CasualCometDined on 7/24/2014A good local place for casual dining. Bistro food and local scene seem to flow together here!Special Features:
- Ellen28VIPDined on 7/24/2014always delicious and fresh. wait staff is friendly and accomodating. looking forward to going backSpecial Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Always enjoy dining here. Organized a lunch for several women. There was not one complaint - it was enjoyed by all, except the noise level made conversation a bit difficult; but that's the vibe of this place. Everyone is very welcoming & they're are very welcoming.,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They did not prepare sliced filetOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/17/2014My meat loaf was very good but it took a long time to get served. We ordered a glass of wine and that didn't come for 10 minutes. my wife's sliced filet was ordered medium and 1/2 was rare-raw! The waiter was not to be found. By time he did come to ask how was our food, my wife ate around the raw meat and did not want to send it back because I was almost finished. We said nothing to the waiter but if you order a sliced steak medium he could of seen it was raw. Some one else cleared the table so he didn't see that half the steak was left. I would give this a poor rating!
- SCENE OF SCENES too much hypeLiam461VIPDined on 7/17/2014This restaurant was all the rave. Why? It is an energetic and vibrant place. The food was good, not great. The thia coconut shrimp was milky and bland with little flavor. The Beet salad was good. It was on the small side and coould have used more of the additives and less of the lettuce. The sliced filet mignon entree was delicious and well seasoned as were the fries. Our waitress was very attentive, friends and informative with regards to the menu. Overall it was an enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, chic and reliableseaclifflunaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Consistently skillful service, high quality food and presentation, and attentive maître D's. Acoustics are challenging, so be prepared: but it's a lively scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over One Hour Wait for Food!Nikita1569VIPDined on 7/12/2014Unfortunately, the kitchen staff ruined an otherwise lovely brunch experience. We had a brunch reservation and when we arrived we were seated promptly. Our waiter came over right away with bread and took our orders. Drinks arrived quickly. The restaurant was less than half full so they were not busy. The tables on either side of ours were seated after us and received their food before us. Our waiter was very apologetic and comped our drinks for the extremely long wait for our meals. No reason this should have happened as the restaurant was not full or busy. We were told our meals were over one hour late because "the hollandaise sauce kept coming out wrong." Ridiculous excuse from a restaurant supposedly known for its brunch.
- always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/10/2014Bar Frites is wonderful in every happy way! It's a great place great food, great to people watch, to see and be seen. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Too noisy and packed. Had to wait 20 minutes even though we had a reservation.Special Features:
- Best Fried Chicken Ever!FrankGVIPDined on 7/3/2014Yup, I said it, best fried chicken ever! Had it all over the country and this was amazing. Double battered and crispy. And best of all, the next day...still crispy! Only down side were the frog legs, way too much garlic - never tasted the frog. Wife's branzino was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/2/2014I haven't been here in a while but it seems like they moved the tables closer to each other. It was too noisy to hear each other talk.
- Fabulous Service!ValentineMealDined on 6/26/2014I have been to Bar Frites before, so knew what to expect. What exceeded my expectations this time was how kindly they handled my reservation chaos. Our party size changed and we ran late (I did call to let them know). They still got us seated quickly and didn't hold anything against us! :-) The food was fabulous, too!Special Features:
- Bar FritesMarakiVIPDined on 6/24/2014Had a great birthday lunch there with my daughters. We sat outside on a warm summer day. Wonderful atmosphere, service was excellent and the food was consistently good.Special Features:
- Hit and Miss, Mostly Miss.10isLawDined on 6/17/2014I've been to BF a few times now and am more and more disappointed on every occasion. My first visit was great but only consisted of one or two appetizers and a few drinks. Seating was cramped and the atmosphere was lively. I was impressed with the choices on the menu and their offering even at the expense of the atmosphere. My second visit here took a turn for the worse-- the service was incredibly slow, the food was average at best and the prices were not reflective of the cuisine. The atmosphere was loud and almost necessitated shouting at my fellow dinner guests. Not to mention, the AC was no where to be felt. A final consideration, the calamari was stale and bland. Definitely will not be going again.
- Faux FrenchSpamanDined on 6/15/2014We came here for Father's Day with my in-laws. My father-in-law, who was born in Paris, ordered Onion Soup. It was gooey with cheese and the onions were at the bottom. Also, it was a pinkish color not the brown broth that you expect French onion soup to have. The Croque Monsieur (ham, cheese on buttered brioche, sandwich did not, in the least, resemble those that I've had in Paris (or Chat Noir in Rockville Center). Here it had mustard instead of butter which gave it a funky taste and the cheese was overflowing (if you like gobs of melted cheese, this is the place for you). The other three dishes were good - Roast Chicken/Mashed potatoes/Spinach (2) and Grilled Chicken Paillard. The service was very good and the ambiance is nice.Special Features:
- Lunch time escapeKit4KatDined on 6/12/2014A group from work took the boss out to lunch for her birthday and we couldn't have chosen a better spot! Our server made us laugh and took wonderful care of us. We were able to enjoy a great lunch and get back to work on time. My omelet of the day, Brie and leeks, was delicious: we all thoroughly enjoyed our entrees. Great for groups; the menu is extensive with entrees to suit everyone's taste.Special Features:
- went with kids and grandparentsfloresvmDined on 6/8/2014was perfect setting, we went at an off time 3pm, but was perfect forSpecial Features:
- A wonderful brunch placebookdancefanDined on 6/8/2014Great place to meet a date. People next to you but you feel alone with your companion. Look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceannsfavesDined on 6/7/2014I was greeted at the door warmly. The service was terrific, especially their recommendations since we didn't know what to order, being the first time there. Cappuccino ended the meal very nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodKariePlaypalDined on 6/5/2014Always love the well-made cuisine at this neighborhood restaurant. It's a happening scene with a definitely young crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinniedriverDined on 6/4/2014always love it here. great food, wonderful service. They make you feel like friends. Always very noisy in the front of the restaurant so I recommend sitting in the back or outside.Special Features:
- Ellen28VIPDined on 6/4/2014the food is always consistant. i love inviting friends to join in for a delicious meal.Special Features:
- Off the chart Fried ChickenPicklePussDined on 5/29/2014Always fun dining at Bar Frites. The Fried Chicken, as usual, to die for. Wouldn't recommend going on Thursday nights; Ladies Night; noise level almost unbearable.Special Features:
- My first time, not my last timeVPfromLongIslandDined on 5/29/2014The food and service was awesome. You can dine inside or out which is nice. We went for lunch and my burger was awesome, juicy and cooked as requested. My colleague had salmon sliders and loved them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manhattan detail and vibeseaclifflunaVIPDined on 5/26/2014wonderful bistro - upscale service and details with impeccable attention from hosts and manager. They're happy to split entrees and salads: the wedge salad is a winner.Special Features:
- Great foodie placeAnnieKVIPDined on 5/12/2014If you love good food this is the place to be. There is everything from burgers to salmon. Very ecclectic menu. Something for everyone. Can't go wrong with whatever you order.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2014Bar Frites is my absolute favorite restaurant. The food is wonderful and the service is great. It's my first choice for all of our family's special occassions. We were just there for Mother's Day and we had the frog legs and grilled calamari as starters; the papardelle bolognese, the grilled branzino, and the black seabass......beautiful presentation and delicious. I highly recommend Bar Frites to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 5/11/2014Great ambiance- wonderful food - & great people-watching! Always greeted w smiles....such an upbeat fun place. The food & service is always consistant - One of our favorites,Special Features:
- Best Filet Mignon Ever!ALB813Dined on 5/10/2014My meal was delicious. the French Onion soup was perfect - not too salty and extra cheesey! Most restaurants fail somewhere in this easy to create, difficult to master dish. Bar Frites did it to perfection, I don't know their secret, but I wish they'd spread it around - more people need to learn to do this well. My Filet was cooked EXACTLY the way I asked for it - Medium, and was melt-in-your-mouth perfection. I've been to many great steakhouses and NEVER had a Filet this tasty, well-prepared or this tender! The "Frites" were lovely! Bravo! The Chocolate Mousse was drool-worthy. I loved every bite of this meal and can't wait to come back! Only negative was that it was so loud I couldn't converse comfortably with my companions...Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere good foodUM2017momDined on 5/6/2014Food is very good and vibrant atmosphere makes it a great place for dinner with friends, or family.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!LuvetodineoutVIPDined on 5/3/2014We love to take the kids here for brunch on the weekends. Food and service are always very good .Special Features:
- Amazing food - fair at best servicefoodie4lifeVIPDined on 5/2/2014Waiter was absolutely clueless - three times we asked him for something and he simply "forgot" - he did not know the menu and although the food was outstanding (mussels in pernod and shortribs were extraordinary) - it was a disappointing meal because of the waiter's incompetent service. Waiting for the check was perhaps the most frustrating of all!Special Features:
- EthanDined on 5/2/2014Only issue is that it is on the expensive side...~25$ for lunch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningMimismomDined on 5/1/2014Timely greeting and seating. Friendly and courteous service, with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 275 reviews are from the Bar Frites reviews archive.