1030 N 2nd
Philadelphia, PA 19123Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barferdinand.com/
- Phone: (215) 923-1313x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am. Friday and Saturday: 4:30 pm - 1:00 am.
Brunch served Saturday and Sunday 11:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Bar: Monday - Thursday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am. Friday: 4:30 pm - 2:00 am. Saturday: 11:00 am - 2:00 am. Sunday: 11:00 am - 12:00 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: David Ansill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that seats up to forty guests. The entire restaurant may also be rented out to accommodate large private parties. Please contact us for rates & menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Manager (215) 923-1313x
- Entertainment: Live Flamenco dance performances every First Friday of the month. Live Flamenco dance performances during New Year's Eve and other special events.
- Special Events: Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more details! All special events are also posted on our website at barferdinand.com.
We offer a private dining room that seats up to forty guests. The entire restaurant may also be rented out to accommodate large private parties. Please contact us for rates & menu options.
- Cross Street: Between Girard Avenue & Poplar Street
- Public Transit: Local access (less than one mile) to subway, trolley, and bus stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at the public parking lot at the intersection of Germantown Avenue & N. 2nd Street, approximately 1/2 block north of Bar Ferdinand.
A word from Bar Ferdinand
Bar Ferdinand brings quality food, drink, and service to the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia. Join us for traditional Spanish tapas and Chef David Ansill's personal take on the country's cuisine. Enjoy a bottle from our expansive Spanish wine list. Eat, drink, love.Continued
Join us on Sunday May 11, 2014 to celebrate Mother's Day at Bar Ferdinand. $30 prix fixe menu available as well as our a la carte brunch favorites.
Join us on Sunday May 11, 2014 to celebrate Mother's Day at Bar Ferdinand. $30 prix fixe menu available as well as our a la carte brunch favorites.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Ferdinand reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (35)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (24)special occasion (17)late-night find (16)notable wine list (13)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great Food But PriceyAmandaBDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant is very nice. The food is very tasty. The service was good. However, we were one of only three tables seated at 7 p.m. on a Friday night and it was a little lonely and quiet. Thankfully they played a fantastic music mix. The tapas portions were very small for the price, except the paella, which finally succeeded in filling me up. The scallop was absolutely delicious, but very lonely alone on a plate for $9. I think a lot depends on how well you are able to order from the menu. We will give this place another try in the future!.Special Features:
- We really wanted to like it...AndrewLDined on 8/7/2014Having never been here before and always wanting to check this place put fishtown/northern liberties resteraunt week seemed like a great place to start. While the atmosphere was great and the service was very good the food can be best described as relatively bland especially the mussles and endive salad (which was just plain not good). The pork belly was quite tasty to give credit where credit is due and other things were decent but really in was expecting a lot more from the place from all we heard. All and all I am sure if you pick well from the menu and have more options than resteraunt week it may be better but my first impression was unfortunately not a favorable one.Special Features:
- JazzVIPDined on 7/19/2014Fantastic! We had the red sangria and it was perfect.Special Features:
- happy2eathereVIPDined on 7/8/2014Excellent food, service and overall experience; would absolutely recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousCraigMDined on 6/29/2014Was my 2nd time here, & was better this time!! Absolutely amazing!! Great location!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality declined1disappointeddinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Although the food at bar Ferdinand is still good, I have definitely noticed a decrease in quality over the past year or so. The service was less than what I hoped as well; I had to inquire about specials because our server did not tell us about them. Overall I was disappointed. Bar Ferdinand used to be top notch.Special Features:
- cool spot..food, ehhmealmarauderDined on 6/15/2014Great service..cool bar...food wasn't what I thought it would be...compared to other city tapas spot..this was my least favorite in terms of the food...ambiance was ok for a Sunday evening. ..next time when im in the mood for tapas this probably wouldnt be a place I'd choose but it would be for a place to meet friends & have drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasMechitaDined on 6/15/2014We have been at Bar Ferdinand several times for dinner. This was our first time having brunch there. The menu could be a little bit more extensive, but all the dishes we tried were great. We had a table in the patio and the day was lovely so we enjoyed the experience very much. Not too many choices if you have a picky toddler like mine, but even he got to enjoy the patatas bravas and churros con chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Great menu, amazing, food, a little too loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could use some improvementrandyZDined on 6/14/2014I really looked forward to my first visit here, as Ansil was one of my all-time favorites. Overall I was not disappointed - my favorite was the spanish cheese plate, which was exceptional. All the plates were good, although I felt that everything was 'safe' and sometimes the flavors were not as interesting as I hoped for. My family very much enjoyed the Paella, which had a generous portion of seafood (although the there was a stingy supply of rice, much of which was stuck to the bottom of the pan!) The house wine was very good, and the bar made an excellent martini. All in all I would like to come again. I might add that the prices were reasonable, and I had a great time on my birthday!Special Features:
- excellent food and atmosphereluvfoodDined on 6/13/2014The atmosphere and food were both excellent here. Tapas plates make it great to try lots of options and varieties of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodwaytoohipDined on 6/7/2014The food here is very good. The date and bacon empanadas are a must, octopus was delicious. The bad...noise level is bad, do yourself a favor and sit outside if available. The service from our waitress was poor...long times in between table visits...our table was cleared and our drinks finished for a good 15 minutes before she came around...would you like anything else? How about a desert menu? Got our desert and coffee and asked her to bring the check at the same time, afraid we might not see her again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ferdinand's Bar ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I are senior citizens. We dined at Ferdinand's with another couple last Saturday. Everything was great. We had the tasting menu which I heartily recommend to everyone who reads this. The service was terrific. Our waitress was energetic, beautiful and really pleased to wait on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014We went to Bar Ferdinand on a Saturday evening. We sat outside which was great. Our server was very nice and attentive. The food was very good, the wine list awesome. I would not consider this a traditional Spanish tapas place. I am from Spain and I have gone to many places that serve tapas and raciones in Spain, Bar Ferdinand is a nice restaurant that serves small plates with a Spanish flair. I would come back again as the food and the location was great, and also they had a good selection of wines from Spain, but I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody who wants to try traditional Spanish food.Special Features:
- Tasting MenuhungryducksVIPDined on 6/4/2014We had the tasting menu and each dish was better than the last! Would recommend it for anyone interested in trying some new things.Special Features:
- Gluten-friendly!foodluvaDined on 6/4/2014The restaurant was very attentive to my gluten-free dietary restrictions. They acknowledged my inquiry regarding a gluten free menu via e-mail promptly and had the menu available immediately upon my arrival. The waitress was very knowledgeable and had discussed gluten free options with the chef prior to coming to our table to mention the day's specials. Definitely one of the easier places to go.Special Features:
- it was just oknphilaDined on 6/3/2014the food was just ok, definitely not comparable to amada or tinto! there are much better tapa restaurant choices. it was a week night so we were able to get a table outside which was nice. the service was very good, probably because the restaurant was dead. I wasn't overly impressed with any of the dishes and i've definitely had better sangria.Special Features:
- Cute place.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/1/20145:30 dinner res Monday night. Parking tricky - luckily found something on the street. Paella Valenciana was unnecessarily greasy. The flavors of the different ingredients were blended together, making it rather uninteresting - a bit tasting too much like seafood. The rice was was slick with oil which was not good. We have been eating Paella since 1969 (in Spain), so I can safely say we have had much better. The date and bacon empanadas were very good. Also the seared scallop with crab and saffron orange butter was excellent. Ambience inside was lovely. Friendly service.Special Features:
- Tapas galoreBethDined on 5/23/2014A fantastic dining experience! I couldn't decide what to drink. Luckily I mentioned I like margaritas. Our server said the bartender makes one of the best ones, you could literally see the excitement in her eyes. She didn't steer me wrong...A-MAZ-ING margarita!!! By far my favorite dishes were the braised short rib, it fell apart with a fork, and the shrimp. The olive oil and garlic creation that the shrimp were sauteed in could make a shoe taste fabulous!!! We tried the date and bacon empanada since I saw it got rave reviews. that was great too. The big disappoint was the rabbit. It was almost all bone and the three of us barely got one measly taste of meat. Our server was very accommodating and gladly removed it from our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014My husband and I ate brunch at Bar Ferdinand with two other friends who are regulars. The food was absolutely stellar! Everything we ordered was wonderful--we could have stayed and eaten all day. Great mimosas, as well. Our server was terrific, funny, and offered excellent recommendations. Would absolutely recommend for brunch or otherwise!Special Features:
- Will be back!bmwmed19Dined on 5/16/2014Went for dinner with family for a special occasion. We all split tapas, tostas and raciones, all of which were fabulous- would not have changed anything about any of them! The pitcher of red sangria was great. The date and bacon empanada was incredible and a real treat, as were the raciones; we got the rabbit, which was absolutely perfect, and a special with pork stuffed something over an egg and toasts. Dessert was also excellent, the churros con chocolate were very authentic, and the tres almendras cake was delicious. Service was some of the best I've seen, very attentive and kind. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Terrible Mother's Day BrunchssclamDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I have eaten at Bar Ferdinand many times and we love the food. The service is usually great as well. We did the Mother's Day brunch this year, though, and we had a terrible experience. We waited for our second course (we did the prix fixe) and second round of mimosas for 30 or 40 minutes. Finally the third course arrived. I told the server about the mistake and she brought one of the second course salads, thinking that was the only thing we missed. I told her about the other item and they brought that as well. We had to get our dessert to go because we had been there two hours and our 18-month-old daughter was beyond restless. When the bill arrived, we were charged for more drinks than we had.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner...Great SuccessFromNJEatInPhillyDined on 5/9/2014Came here for my birthday. Was going to go to my favorite tapas place but my sister recommended we go somewhere different since they are from philly and I live in New Jersey so we came here. Food was amazing from start to finish. We had Red Sangria to start with which for $24 a pitcher was a great deal. Everything we had was delicious. Some highlights were my ultimate favorite Short-rib on a baguette. The Short Rib just melted in your mouth and whatever it was made in tasted absolutely amazing. We had the shrimp tapas which was good, and it came with bread to dip into but it could have been a little more flavorful but still was delicious. The New York Strip with fried egg and spinach was my ultimate favorite. So good. Will be back.Special Features:
- Spainish InterludeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/6/2014love this place,perfect night for dining outside. Homemade pasta was excuisite and I,now,have a "passion" for passionfruit mousse with berries! Our server was friendly,knowledgeable.Special Features:
- The following 374 reviews are from the Bar Ferdinand reviews archive.
- Great outside areapooknnookDined on 4/14/2014We ordered everything from olives to short ribs. Everything was nicely plated, temps were perfect. Timing between dishes was very well timed. Waitress was friendly and answered many of our questions with ease. Outdoors was nice, the weather was beautiful, but being next to another restaurant and sharing the outdoor area it was quite loud at times, also a lot of random people walking thru the area with pets and such, seemed a little odd. Other than that a very nice night, and menu choices. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and frustrating serviceDomHDined on 4/12/2014Unattentive, random service and got seated much later than our reservation. Took away from enjoying the decent food.Special Features:
- Could be anywhere on the Med'nCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 4/12/2014Bar F's got the tapas scene right - excellent food, fair prices, attentive service that's not rushed despite the frenzy all around. It feels right, too. Great crudo, fine paella, robust chorizo, hot & smoky peppers etc plus OK sangria, a fine list of Spanish wines & a few good & well priced sherries (the $8/gl manzanilla was excellent). Even with empty tables, it's rather loud if you want to communicate with anyone at your table (at least at 9 on a Saturday nite). But this all feels like any of the nicer tapas bars & restaurants in Spain & around the world (Tapas Brindisa, London; Cinco Jotas, Madrid). It's not Albora or Estado Puro, but it doesn't pretend to be & it's a lot less expensive. If you can't enjoy yourself here, you're a grinch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceFoodiesOnADateDined on 4/12/2014We had a nice dinner at Bar Ferdinand. The food was a bit over oiled. So it felt a bit heavy in the stomach later in the night. Our server was super friendly, but slow. Our tapas came out one dish at a time over 1 1/2 hours. Our server was very descriptive of what dish was being dropped off, but another server stepped in to help her and dropped our cheese plate off without telling us anything about the plate. The wine was fantastic. I don't know that I would go back. But it was a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Great food, but way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014I always enjoy the food at Bar Ferdinand - everything is very well prepared and delicious. However, at this most recent visit it was nearly impossible for our group of 4 to have a conversation due to the incredible noise level. The baseline problem of crowd noise is compounded by the music being too loud. Our waitress was nice, but it was nearly impossible to hear anything that she was saying to us. I'd go back for the food, but I think I'll wait until warmer weather and outdoor seating so that I can hear my companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!PlumPorkDined on 3/24/2014Been here multiple times and the food & service is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks good foodAcm5255VIPDined on 3/20/2014We got a selection of tapas and they were good but for the size a bit pricy. It was a nice, if expensive, experience and definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapasmadiwillzDined on 3/10/2014felt like i was back in spain. great ambiance, great food, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD!AdamisVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had to wait over half of an hour from our reservation timebefore being seated. The noise level was so incrediably loud, we could not hear our waitress or each other. We ordered several small plates, one of which never arrived. The food was decent, but certainly not worth the wait, or noise level.
- Tapas, American stylePatrickVIPDined on 3/7/2014Excellent food and drinks, service was outstanding. Noise was overwhleming at times making conversation a little challenging. The pan catalan was an interesting interpretation.Special Features:
- Great place to try a least oncePhillyfoodloverDined on 3/2/2014Price was good. Food was great. There's almost nothing more to say but if you need more. We went during the weekend on a date. The scene was upbeat but not too much. Music at a normal level to still hold a conversation. Our server was very knowledgable. They were attentive but not overwhelming. Every dish we ordered was full of flavor and good portions for tapas. If you are into trying something new this is the spot. You'll enjoy evey moment...we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food experienceTomocilDined on 2/28/2014Definitely expensive, but always an amazing place to eat. If you want to taste many different foods and share them with a group, this is the place to go. Also, the wine selection is fantastic. Great "special occasion" restaurant for me.Special Features:
- Nice food but loud!JeffVIPDined on 2/28/2014Not much to say, really. Great tastes overall, some some over salting. Nice ambiance. But by the time the place got 3/4 full the noise level became painfully loud. Everyone had to shout in order to converse. Won't return for that very reason: Why try to have a lovely and intriguing menu, well executed, when you and your guests cannot even talk.Special Features:
- Loved the variety of dishesAlexDined on 2/15/2014Loved the variety of dishes and options on the menu. Tostas were delicious. We sat and ate at the bar. Service was great. Atmosphere was lively, definitely a trendy/hipster vibe, but still a fairly diverse group of diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small and big pleasures.PentimentoVIPDined on 2/14/2014We had the Valentine's Day price fixe. Scallop, mushrooms, frisée salad then the awesome paella. Almond cake was lovely, the chocolate torte a little tired. Overall including the great cocktails—a delicious dinner. We enjoyed this restaurant, a happy, exuberant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!SJDiner1VIPDined on 2/9/2014Went for brunch on a Sunday. Great menu, and very reasonable. Service was very good as well. Street parking was no problem. They have music on the first Friday of the month-will have to go back then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.