New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barboulud.com/nyc/
- Phone: 2125950303x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
Friday-Saturday 5:00PM - 12:00AM
Sunday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Late lunch offered at the bar and terrace from 2:30PM - 5:00PM
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Quignon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: None
- Special Events:
A word from Bar Boulud
Bar Boulud is Chef Daniel Boulud’s bistro and wine bar located across from New York City's Lincoln Center. An exquisite array of housemade charcuterie complements sumptuous French cooking for both lunch and dinner. Bar Boulud offers a 3 course price fixe for lunch for $29 and dinner for $45. Outdoor dining is available on the terrace seasonally. Three private wine-themed dining rooms adjacent to the wine cellar are also available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Boulud reviews from OpenTable diners
461 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (233)great for outdoor dining (182)neighborhood gem (152)notable wine list (146)great for lunch (145)great for brunch (109)special occasion (99)hot spot (70)late-night find (46)romantic (37)good for groups (34)scenic view (32)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Great Food, poor servicessramdDined on 9/20/2014The food was great but the service was all over the place, waiter that we have to wait for long time then never came back, water boy that keep pouring tap water after telling him we were having a bottle of sparkling and the bathrooms in an awful state, we had a late dinner but that doesn't mean someone shouldn't be checking that the facilities are up to part with the great food they offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and stylishHungryDined on 9/20/2014Have been eating here for years. The quality has waxed and waned it currently is very high. Service is good indeed, and an interesting menu that frequently changes. One of the top spots in the Lincoln Center area. The Christmas wreath that was missing one year came back last year. Love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpringmanSpringmanDined on 9/20/2014Surprises abound here. Definitely not your "meat and potatoes" place, though you will find it as an option in some variation if you look carefully at the menu. The food is thoughtfully prepared and sparkles with freshness with accompaniments that are not typical, requiring the diner to have an adventurous mindset. And, the prices are affordable, but not inexpensive.Special Features:
- DisappointingfancypantsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Server disappeared from our table to wait on five other tables that were seated after us and never came back to take our orders until we asked for her 15 minutes later. Scallops were so over salted they were almost inedible.
- Great for late-nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Great for late-night dining. Went for afternoon drink the next day and waited 15 minutes for a wine list. Good for leisurely suppers but subpar if you want fast, reliable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I had high expectations as I had been here another time, many years ago.... And unfortunately, I was disappointed. The service was average as was the food (not like I remembered). And while this may be nitpicky, the water damage mark on the ceiling near my table was a turn off. I also feel like it was over-priced for what I received. I think next time, I'll just spring for the little extra and go to Daniel.
- Coq ahhhhh vinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014Most amazing construct of coq au vin. Deep dense reduction gravy was a show stopper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious meal, nice settingDSHfromNWKDined on 9/16/2014Situated across from Lincoln Center in a stretch of restaurants that cater to the theater crowd, Bar Boulud stands out for great French food done with a twist. It's elevated "casual" dining for an upscale audience. My companion and I shared the small charcuterie plate after I read in NY Mag's review that it was exceptional. They were right. Nothing Earth-shattering was on the plate (although I'd never had head cheese before), but it was all sublime. The entrees were wonderful as well - I had the cavatelli served with goat meat & cheese, eggplant and baby spinach. My companion had a pork loin dish from the "nose to tail" specials. Both were delicious and his looked exceptionally lovely. Dessert was the assorted sweets for 2. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HenrikDined on 9/15/2014The food was mediocre at best and 26 dollars for a glass of run of the mill champagne..absurd! Service was inefficient and waiter unfriendly. Seems Daniel has other more important places to deal with. I live in the neighborhood and would say this visit was a once in a lifetime experience...go once in your lifetime!Special Features:
- DisappointingKeelie52Dined on 9/14/2014I know this is at the lower end of the Boloud stable of eateries, but service was terribly amateur and the food was OK but definitely not generous... We ate inside and the room was noisy and aircon made it a bit too chilly! All in all not a comfortable experience so would not recommend.
- Needs Service ImprovementUWSider4Dined on 9/13/2014Meals are among the best in NYC. Everything that is ordered is well prepared, nothing is industrial, seems to be (obviously) prepared under the guidance of an excellent chef. However, once the meal leaves the kitchen service is disappointing. Time between courses is truly unexpected, drinks come whenever the waitress remembers the order, wine is spread over the table by the same waitress and she never sends anyone for cleaning, desserts come at different times for same table, same waitress doesn't know what the names of ingredients are in the menu. What kind of service is that? why such unskilled table attendants are placed to work with adults in a respectable restaurant? Be aware, service might be low class, like cool-millennial style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatPlaza1974VIPDined on 9/13/2014Overall a good experience but not great. I would recommend with that caveat if asked. Disappointed since I expected "great", especially with the name Boulud over the door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFcmartin3rdDined on 9/12/2014Bar Boulud is one of our favorite spots for a foodie quality dinner without the need for reservations weeks in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good LunchtheplantDined on 9/11/2014The lobster salad was fresh and not smothered in a way that would have negated the taste of the ingredients. The service was excellent. This is a perfect restaurant for lunch with a good friend if you can afford it.Special Features:
- Great LocationusalienedDined on 9/10/2014This is a perfect spot for dinner before crossing Broadway to attend a concert at Lincoln Center. Dining outside was a bonus on a warm evening. The service was attentive and the food perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience, not very impressedKevinJ84Dined on 9/10/2014We checked out Bar Boulud based on a recommendation from a friend. We had a good overall experience, but were disappointed that there weren't more details given about the sides with the main courses. The best part of the meal may have been the extra fries we ordered. We did enjoy the Flank Steak and the Coq au Vin - oh - and the Asiago Popovers that were served in the beginning.Special Features:
- Not as good as we expectBexovitaDined on 9/10/2014Siendo un Bistro del Daniel's sinceramente esperábamos mucho mas. La comida muy poco sofisticada y sobrevaluada. El lugar es muy agradable, el servicio también, pero nada de lo que comimos dejó algo que comentar.Special Features:
- Susan CharlotteLuvnyfoodDined on 9/7/2014Tiis restaurant was perfect for brunch on Sunday ! The waffles were awesome Nd the omelet seasoning was perfection" we will be back every time we visit NYSpecial Features:
- I think Open Table messed up!!!MarieDined on 9/7/2014I had no choice but to rank the experience, but please do not use it. I have NOTHING to base this on!!! Bar Boulud had no record of my reservation? Therefore we could not dine there. It was a tremendous disappointment and I called the restaurant to confirm as I did not receive the usual "reminder" from Open Table. If I had not done so, I would have gone to the restaurant, only to be turned away or wait as we DID NOT have a reservation. Very disappointed with Open Table!! There was a breakdown in communication. I'm not sure who's fault it was, but I suspect Open Table. I would like another opportunity to dine at Bar Boulud and I feel Open Table owes me a gift certificate! Me, and my party were very disappointed.
- Boulud Friday nightTravlDiDined on 9/5/2014We had a nice evening here. I had the filet, was in a beef kind of mood. It was good but I've had better. I think I should have had something french. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Informal and ReasonableFoodDocVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is an attractive space but no question is informal. Service was great and there is a super mix of food on the menu. I particularly liked the Iberico Ham, at $40 it might seem a lot for a starter but the portion was generous and the taste was out of this world. The mixed cheese plate was also incredible.Special Features:
- The must go in NYCAstridDined on 9/3/2014A must go every time I am in NYC. Potty we do not have one in AustriaSpecial Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Bar Boulud. The food was wonderful, the service fantastic and overall we had a great time. It was delicious!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!LovestojogDined on 8/31/2014Based on previous reviews, we expected mediocre food and service. The service was exceptional, and the food exactly what we anticipated. Everything was perfect. Highly recommend Bar Boulud!Special Features:
- Good not Good EnoughFoodsterVIPDined on 8/31/2014Lunch on Saturday was OK but overall lacked in value. The Croque Monsieur was very good. The tuna Nicoise salad was "86" so I tried the roasted salmon which arrived as warm sashimi. I understand the rare salmon temperature, but not warm-raw. The repair was barely better (the chef wins, but loses the customer.) In addition, the dish was microscopic given the price. Overall, my impression is that given Mr. Boulud's well earned reputation it must be better all around to justify the high price. I'll not hurry back.
- best brunch I have had in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Quality of each dish was very good or excellent. Service was impeccable. Three course brunch was more than enough without feeling overly stuffed at end. The atmosphere was light where we could hear each other even as it became more full. Overall a casually intimate, grown up restaurant. The dishes were not trying to be cutting edge, but were tasty, fresh, and more sophisticated than home-made for most people.Special Features:
- ECohDined on 8/30/2014Delicious dishes -- there is something for everyone here from the vegetarian to the true meat eater. All the food was beautifully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time as always.dsonmezalpanDined on 8/30/2014This was my 4th time here and the food was terrific, as always. Service was a bit lacking compared to what we're used to, though. One of us ordered the burger medium, and it came well done. The server was very accomodating and replaced it within 10 minutes, which we appreciated. But we also realized that the other dish we ordered was left slightly cold while waiting for the first burger to cook as much as it did. Otherwise, it was delicious as usual. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good, but not worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The food is good, service is nice, but for the price they charge, the ambiance and table setting is terrible like cheap diners. Very noisy! It is so cramped that the price is not justified!Special Features:
- Great start to the holiday weekend!BonneebeeDined on 8/29/2014Ate here with two friends -the vicysoisse was superb with watercress cremelat underneath which added another tasty dimensiont o this classic., roast veal and sweatbreads were excellent-veal was pink as it should be - sweatbreads were crisp outside and soft inside. - onion jam was a good accompaniment. Adaptation of floating islands was delicious--an added hint of pernod?? My friends had charcuterie and coq au vin -both very good especially the charcuterie. We loved the atmosphere - just the right amount of noise to make it a viable spot. Nice lighting. Great wine list. Excellent service. We're looking forward to many more meals here.Special Features:
- Nice for business clientsLintonVIPDined on 8/28/2014Nice for business clients. Very good and attentive service. Good food, though not necessarily outstanding but I would not expect it here since the Chef has other restaurants. A great location in an area which is not always the easiest to find a pleasant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placetennisballDined on 8/28/2014Our lunch at Bar Boulud was exceptional, as it always is.Special Features:
- Great Chef, Great DiningAnObjectivistDined on 8/27/2014I was attracted to this restaurant because of the name Daniel Boulud. (His restaurant, Daniel, had NO available slots during my visit to NYC.) I was not disappointed. In fact, on the basis of the quality of Bar Boulud, I booked dinner at another Boulud restaurant the next evening.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014We've been back several times but somehow the expectations always exceed the experience. Greens were soggy; scallops were not fresh, odoriferous; Negroni was weak; Ile Flotante so far off the classic--more like vanilla pudding than crème anglais.Special Features:
- dining at Bar BouludfifiDined on 8/25/2014always an experience to dine at this restaurant. the food is always superb, well presented. can never get tired of it. the service very attentive, but not overbearing. keep up the good work fifiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableVisitorVIPDined on 8/24/2014Brunch at Bar Boulud is always reliable. We were disappointed that despite having a reservation we weren't able to sit outside, but the pate' made up for it. Great food, and our server Peter was very good. He was knowledgable and made solid recommendations. He even got me a drink that was no longer on the menu. Be sure to request him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was good as always, services was good too. We shared a hose salad and desert, I had scallops and my mom have salmon. They were cooked perfectly. We will definitely come back when we have a show at Lincoln Center. Food was good as always and experience is consistence, definitely a keeper.Special Features:
- A great go-to restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014This should be a top of mind restaurant for casual dining. It always exceeds my expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do you have a new chef?disappointedVIPDined on 8/20/2014After many pleasant visits, this one was a great disappointment. Hamburger was good, expensive steak ($5 a bite?) alone on the plate with FF. The mussels were tasteless in a sauce with lots of onions and no spices and the fluke was fair. Sorry, a dinner for 4 at over $200 should be better. Your bread is good, but we didn't come for bread and butter.
- Great lunch placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014If you are in the lincoln center area, this is the perfect place for lunch. Simple, yet very high quality food.Special Features: