New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barboulud.com/nyc/
- Phone: 2125950303x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
Friday-Saturday 5:00PM - 12:00AM
Sunday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Late lunch offered at the bar and terrace from 2:30PM - 5:00PM
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Quignon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: None
- Special Events:
A word from Bar Boulud
Bar Boulud is Chef Daniel Boulud’s bistro and wine bar located across from New York City's Lincoln Center. An exquisite array of housemade charcuterie complements sumptuous French cooking for both lunch and dinner. Bar Boulud offers a 3 course price fixe for lunch for $29 and dinner for $45. Outdoor dining is available on the terrace seasonally. Three private wine-themed dining rooms adjacent to the wine cellar are also available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Boulud reviews from OpenTable diners
479 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)great for outdoor dining (181)notable wine list (158)neighborhood gem (154)great for lunch (146)special occasion (110)great for brunch (108)hot spot (75)late-night find (50)romantic (44)good for groups (38)scenic view (33)vibrant bar scene (30)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Not my best experience hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014Came back after a nice experience in August. Ended up waiting 45 minutes for lunch to be served to my table of 2, about 5 minutes after a table of 5 that came in 15 minutes after us. My croque monsieur tasted like it had been waiting a while. Ended up having to leave my client there to finish dessert and coffee because the 75 minutes I had put aside for lunch wasn't enough. The waiter also didn't really seem to pay attention or care.
- WDKNTVIPDined on 9/27/2014Loved the ambiance and wine options. Had the tuna entree. Menu says it's "seared," but what I got was pretty much cooked through. The quality of the fish wasn't what I'd expect from a Boulud restaurant either. Definite disappointment. I'd consider trying again but in terms of food, definitely just capitalizing on the name without following it up with the quality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Had a wonderful dinner with my husband at Bar Boulud! The service was perfect, the food delicious and atmosphere welcoming! It was our anniversary and we were treated to a Glass of Champagne. Will definitely be back on our next trip to NY. Chef Christopher Poix's creations were perfect ! Thanks for such a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bistro anywhereViewFromTheHillDined on 9/26/2014Top class, classic French bistro style food. Champagne punch is one of the best cocktails ever. Often have a special wine by the glass that is exceptional, as if Daniel himself has opened his private collection (1988 Napa recently).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing & expensivesammicatVIPDined on 9/26/2014Had been here a few times before & was excited to go back for lunch. But my portion of peekytoe crab salad was miniscule for $18 - more of a taste than a salad, just 3 small tidbits that didn't have much flavor. The $14 ile flottante was just so-so, a poor imitation of ile flottante (which I love), even though the server said it was wonderful and would transport me to Paris. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things, but I expected everything to be more wonderful. oh, & $5.50 for a small cup of coffee didn't help. Atmosphere and service were fine, but the food did not make the grade, & sad to say, it's now off my list.
- Nice Place but food specificlbi63Dined on 9/24/2014This restaurant had plenty of available tables; hostess and servers were very polite and accommodating; able to move our reservation back from 8 to 8:30 as the restaurant became more crowded. There is not much on the menu other than charcuterie, so if you're not into pate and chicken liver and sausage, there are only 6 or 7 other entree options available. Had the best raw oysters here though, and since it was our first foray into charcuterie, could not tell you if it was out of this world or not, but tasted good anyway. Wonderful chocolate raspberry torte for dessert.Special Features:
- food servicegruntDined on 9/24/2014Was probably an off day. Food was not as good as usual and service was distracted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low quality night's prix fixUWSider4VIPDined on 9/23/2014The restaurant changes so much from one day to another. What is excellent on a day can be a huge dissapointment on the next. Salad was made with old vegetables and an extremelly acidic dressing (it irritated my mouth so much that I had ulcers in soft palate and under the tongue the next day), chicken was almost cold although still served on the pan. Dessert was great as well as wine. Kitchen might have assessment issues.Special Features:
- chic but too expensiveamoray03Dined on 9/22/2014Food was good, service wasn't. We had pate and got only 3 pieces of mediocre bread (they used to have excellent, fresh bread). It was by far not enough, they didn't notice, we had to order more. Service took a long time till first contact. The menu isn't the same as the one online. Drinks took a while to come out. We were there late and it wasn't too busy anymore, so there's no excuse. The food was great. So is the atmosphere/decoration, and especially the location. Great spot for after the Opera, but it's my third time there and every time, something is a little bit off, so I will likely not go back for dinner. Brunch is fantastic, though! Generally too expensive for what it is, though.Special Features:
- Good food, great service!!!jellybeanDined on 9/22/2014I loved the service, also the food. The rosemary lemonade is a great non-alcoholic drink, and desserts are to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliciaEDined on 9/21/2014Do not order the lobster aioli. It is basically a vegetable appetizer with a minuscule portion of lobster. Sat at the bar and even if I was by myself, the waiter did not pay attention to me after he brought me the first course. I think it is normal food overpriced.Special Features:
- DeliciousOlderfoodyDined on 9/21/2014Innovatively prepared, tasty vichyssoise and tater tots; perfectly cooked scallops; outstanding Chablis: a delicious evening from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, poor servicessramdDined on 9/20/2014The food was great but the service was all over the place, waiter that we have to wait for long time then never came back, water boy that keep pouring tap water after telling him we were having a bottle of sparkling and the bathrooms in an awful state, we had a late dinner but that doesn't mean someone shouldn't be checking that the facilities are up to part with the great food they offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and stylishHungryDined on 9/20/2014Have been eating here for years. The quality has waxed and waned it currently is very high. Service is good indeed, and an interesting menu that frequently changes. One of the top spots in the Lincoln Center area. The Christmas wreath that was missing one year came back last year. Love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpringmanSpringmanDined on 9/20/2014Surprises abound here. Definitely not your "meat and potatoes" place, though you will find it as an option in some variation if you look carefully at the menu. The food is thoughtfully prepared and sparkles with freshness with accompaniments that are not typical, requiring the diner to have an adventurous mindset. And, the prices are affordable, but not inexpensive.Special Features:
- DisappointingfancypantsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Server disappeared from our table to wait on five other tables that were seated after us and never came back to take our orders until we asked for her 15 minutes later. Scallops were so over salted they were almost inedible.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014The Service was not up to par and food was disappointing for a Boulud restaurant. I would not go back and would NOT recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great for late-nightFoxtailPIESDined on 9/19/2014Great for late-night dining. Went for afternoon drink the next day and waited 15 minutes for a wine list. Good for leisurely suppers but subpar if you want fast, reliable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateFoodLadyDined on 9/19/2014I had high expectations as I had been here another time, many years ago.... And unfortunately, I was disappointed. The service was average as was the food (not like I remembered). And while this may be nitpicky, the water damage mark on the ceiling near my table was a turn off. I also feel like it was over-priced for what I received. I think next time, I'll just spring for the little extra and go to Daniel.
- Coq ahhhhh vinSwiftyDined on 9/18/2014Most amazing construct of coq au vin. Deep dense reduction gravy was a show stopper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious meal, nice settingDSHfromNWKDined on 9/16/2014Situated across from Lincoln Center in a stretch of restaurants that cater to the theater crowd, Bar Boulud stands out for great French food done with a twist. It's elevated "casual" dining for an upscale audience. My companion and I shared the small charcuterie plate after I read in NY Mag's review that it was exceptional. They were right. Nothing Earth-shattering was on the plate (although I'd never had head cheese before), but it was all sublime. The entrees were wonderful as well - I had the cavatelli served with goat meat & cheese, eggplant and baby spinach. My companion had a pork loin dish from the "nose to tail" specials. Both were delicious and his looked exceptionally lovely. Dessert was the assorted sweets for 2. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HenrikDined on 9/15/2014The food was mediocre at best and 26 dollars for a glass of run of the mill champagne..absurd! Service was inefficient and waiter unfriendly. Seems Daniel has other more important places to deal with. I live in the neighborhood and would say this visit was a once in a lifetime experience...go once in your lifetime!Special Features:
- DisappointingKeelie52Dined on 9/14/2014I know this is at the lower end of the Boloud stable of eateries, but service was terribly amateur and the food was OK but definitely not generous... We ate inside and the room was noisy and aircon made it a bit too chilly! All in all not a comfortable experience so would not recommend.
- Needs Service ImprovementUWSider4VIPDined on 9/13/2014Meals are among the best in NYC. Everything that is ordered is well prepared, nothing is industrial, seems to be (obviously) prepared under the guidance of an excellent chef. However, once the meal leaves the kitchen service is disappointing. Time between courses is truly unexpected, drinks come whenever the waitress remembers the order, wine is spread over the table by the same waitress and she never sends anyone for cleaning, desserts come at different times for same table, same waitress doesn't know what the names of ingredients are in the menu. What kind of service is that? why such unskilled table attendants are placed to work with adults in a respectable restaurant? Be aware, service might be low class, like cool-millennial style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatPlaza1974VIPDined on 9/13/2014Overall a good experience but not great. I would recommend with that caveat if asked. Disappointed since I expected "great", especially with the name Boulud over the door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFcmartin3rdDined on 9/12/2014Bar Boulud is one of our favorite spots for a foodie quality dinner without the need for reservations weeks in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good LunchtheplantDined on 9/11/2014The lobster salad was fresh and not smothered in a way that would have negated the taste of the ingredients. The service was excellent. This is a perfect restaurant for lunch with a good friend if you can afford it.Special Features:
- Great LocationusalienedDined on 9/10/2014This is a perfect spot for dinner before crossing Broadway to attend a concert at Lincoln Center. Dining outside was a bonus on a warm evening. The service was attentive and the food perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience, not very impressedKevinJ84Dined on 9/10/2014We checked out Bar Boulud based on a recommendation from a friend. We had a good overall experience, but were disappointed that there weren't more details given about the sides with the main courses. The best part of the meal may have been the extra fries we ordered. We did enjoy the Flank Steak and the Coq au Vin - oh - and the Asiago Popovers that were served in the beginning.Special Features:
- Not as good as we expectBexovitaDined on 9/10/2014Siendo un Bistro del Daniel's sinceramente esperábamos mucho mas. La comida muy poco sofisticada y sobrevaluada. El lugar es muy agradable, el servicio también, pero nada de lo que comimos dejó algo que comentar.Special Features:
- Susan CharlotteLuvnyfoodDined on 9/7/2014Tiis restaurant was perfect for brunch on Sunday ! The waffles were awesome Nd the omelet seasoning was perfection" we will be back every time we visit NYSpecial Features:
- I think Open Table messed up!!!MarieDined on 9/7/2014I had no choice but to rank the experience, but please do not use it. I have NOTHING to base this on!!! Bar Boulud had no record of my reservation? Therefore we could not dine there. It was a tremendous disappointment and I called the restaurant to confirm as I did not receive the usual "reminder" from Open Table. If I had not done so, I would have gone to the restaurant, only to be turned away or wait as we DID NOT have a reservation. Very disappointed with Open Table!! There was a breakdown in communication. I'm not sure who's fault it was, but I suspect Open Table. I would like another opportunity to dine at Bar Boulud and I feel Open Table owes me a gift certificate! Me, and my party were very disappointed.
- Boulud Friday nightTravlDiDined on 9/5/2014We had a nice evening here. I had the filet, was in a beef kind of mood. It was good but I've had better. I think I should have had something french. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Informal and ReasonableFoodDocVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is an attractive space but no question is informal. Service was great and there is a super mix of food on the menu. I particularly liked the Iberico Ham, at $40 it might seem a lot for a starter but the portion was generous and the taste was out of this world. The mixed cheese plate was also incredible.Special Features:
- The must go in NYCAstridDined on 9/3/2014A must go every time I am in NYC. Potty we do not have one in AustriaSpecial Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Bar Boulud. The food was wonderful, the service fantastic and overall we had a great time. It was delicious!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!LovestojogDined on 8/31/2014Based on previous reviews, we expected mediocre food and service. The service was exceptional, and the food exactly what we anticipated. Everything was perfect. Highly recommend Bar Boulud!Special Features:
- Good not Good EnoughFoodsterVIPDined on 8/31/2014Lunch on Saturday was OK but overall lacked in value. The Croque Monsieur was very good. The tuna Nicoise salad was "86" so I tried the roasted salmon which arrived as warm sashimi. I understand the rare salmon temperature, but not warm-raw. The repair was barely better (the chef wins, but loses the customer.) In addition, the dish was microscopic given the price. Overall, my impression is that given Mr. Boulud's well earned reputation it must be better all around to justify the high price. I'll not hurry back.
- best brunch I have had in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Quality of each dish was very good or excellent. Service was impeccable. Three course brunch was more than enough without feeling overly stuffed at end. The atmosphere was light where we could hear each other even as it became more full. Overall a casually intimate, grown up restaurant. The dishes were not trying to be cutting edge, but were tasty, fresh, and more sophisticated than home-made for most people.Special Features:
- ECohDined on 8/30/2014Delicious dishes -- there is something for everyone here from the vegetarian to the true meat eater. All the food was beautifully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.