2931 16th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barbambino.com/
- Phone: 4157018466
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm to 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Elizabeth Binder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For groups of 10 or more we can bring our unique dining experience and aesthetic to your next office event, house party, corporate function, wedding, or even picnic on the beach. Whether your gathering requires full event design or just the basics, we can do it all. Please contact Alex Homs at 415.701.VINO (8466) or via email at email@example.com for more information regarding planning, coordination, and budgeting to bring Bar Bambino to your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Experience Bar Bambino for your next business event or special occasion. Our private and catered events cultivate ambiance around delicious cuisine, flawless service, and the refined rustic style for which Bar Bambino is famed.
- Private Party Contact: Ryan Robles 4157018466
- Entertainment: For groups of 6 to 120 the restaurant is available for your event. Groups up to 12 are easily accommodated at two of our semi-private communal tables. The four-season patio, half of the restaurant, or the full restaurant is available for larger celebrations.
A word from Bar Bambino
Slightly off the beaten path of San Francisco’s Mission District is Bar Bambino, a neighborhood eatery that brings simple, elegant food and wine to the table while bringing friends, family and friends-to-be together to enjoy. We are an oasis of rustic modernism amidst an urban setting. Using local, organic and sustainable product we create a cuisine that is at the intersection of northeastern Italian and Central European traditions and flavors. We offer an extensive list of wines that hail from these regions and from producers who tend their vines with a respect for the earth, tradition and authenticity. Join us for dinner in our lively dining room and on our four-season garden patio. Private dining is also available for large groups.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Bambino reviews from OpenTable diners
- They cancelled our reservationAlHaroonDined on 1/9/2013They cancelled our reservation because they were shutting down the restaurant
- We will miss you, BarBambino!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2012We will miss Bar Bamino. it was our go to place before and during the recent Mission/Valencia Street foodie explosion in recent years. Hats off to the Bar Bambino family, and best of luck for the owner and his excellent staff in their next endeavors.Special Features:
- Portions are tiny but veryAnetteDined on 12/27/2012Portions are tiny but very good. The cheese plate for 4 is really not even enough for one person. It's a fun place and slightly overpriced especially for that neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- A perennial favorite of ourscszyDined on 12/27/2012A perennial favorite of ours and we are really disappointed to hear that it was set to close. Even on their last night, the food was fantastic and inspiring. Great wine and service. Slight pet peeve was that it always seemed drafty or a bit cold no matter where you sat, but the restaurant always made up for that.Special Features:
- Sorry to see you leave...Mcf96VIPDined on 12/26/2012Glad I had one last chance to go before they closed. It's one of my favorite restaurants int the city, I'm surely going to miss them.Special Features:
- Tragic, bordering on criminal,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2012Tragic, bordering on criminal, that this place is closing. Will be sorely missed. Sadly, per owner, it is unlikely to resurface. Here's hoping that path reverses.Special Features:
- Go there now while you still canshesthecheeseVIPDined on 12/17/2012So sad they are closing on 12/31/12. This is an amazing spot for pasta (the pork and chicken tortelli is to die for) and I love their salted chocolate gelato. Their wine list is a bit on the pricy side but other than that I think this restaurant is perfect.Special Features:
- What a gem! The dose of creativityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/7/2012What a gem! The dose of creativity and attention to details on top of well executed recipes makes Bar Bambino is very serious contented in the "affordable" fine restaurants in SF. The wine list is worth checking... and the cheese selection outstanding.Special Features:
- We took friends from out ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/6/2012We took friends from out of town to show off the foody city of SF. We picked Bar Bambino based on a recommendation. It was not good. The restaurant barely full during our entire meal (we stayed for 3 hours talking) and the food was a huge disappointment. I would not recommend it.
- It took an hour for our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/3/2012It took an hour for our server to ask us what food we wanted to order. We ordered the crab appetizer, which was really good. The flatbread was really bland and needed salt and pepper. We waited a half an hour before our entrees came out. We had to ask for bread because we were starving at this point. The bread was awesome. The entrees were all very small in size and nothing amazing. We had the cod, papardelle, gnocchi, and hen. The hen and cod were the best.
- The food was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2012The food was very good but I was really surprise at the amount of food given. I ordered the Braised American Beef and the beef was to die for but I was disappointed by the amount of very little mashed potatoes that was given. I would recommend from the amount that I was paying, it should of been a lot more mashed potatoes. The quality was very good.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/10/2012Food was delicious. the waitress was very helpful in recommending things given that some of us ate meat, some didn't, and how much to order. It did take a while for her to come back to take our food order, but other than that, the service was great. I would say that our only complaints about the food were that a few more crackers on the cheese plate would have been nice, as would a slice of bread to soak up the sauce with the papardelle and braised lamb. Everything was fresh, interesting, and delicious! We appreciated dish and silver change outs between courses very much. The press pot coffee was quite bitter, says my husband.Special Features:
- Definitely a jeans kind ofOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2012Definitely a jeans kind of place. We were on our way to a party and were way overdressed. Service was a little slow, but the food and staff were excellent.
- Lots of "New Restaurant" kinks...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012You can tell a lot of thought goes into the menu curation, but execution fell short on a couple of our dishes. Safe dishes seemed to be any house-made pasta, and anything from the meat and cheese "corner." My fish was at once blackened and soggy. The Guinea Hen was quite good. The tight quarters are fine if your neighbors are respectful, but on our visit, we had a very loud and obnoxious group next to us. A couple was seated on our other side, but then the server came back and informed them that the coupon they had purchased was only good on Mondays and Tuesdays. So they got up and left. Service was fine when the restaurant was half empty, but later our glasses were frequently empty and our check took forever.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurantsybrob24VIPDined on 10/27/2012One of our favorite restaurants in the city. Wonderful, seasonal food and great service.Special Features:
- DisappointmentKaoruDined on 9/29/2012Our table was patio area, there were a couple of heat lamps. They were soooooo hot, we were so uncomfortable, could not enjoy our meal. Our waitress was not friendly. The food was very good, but the environment and service were bad. Not sure we want to go back anymore.Special Features:
- Winner. Great place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/20122nd time there and dtill terrific. the service and server very knowledgeable. We had unique entrees and a wonderful desserts. Stuffed quash blossoms and deep fried olives. We go early like it on the quieter side.Special Features:
- Food was good. Drinks areOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2012Food was good. Drinks are over-priced. Waitress was very snooty and questioned most of our food choices. "Are you sure that's what you want?" She did deal with 3 different payment methods without much complaint though. Would go back if no other options. Best thing: accepts reservations.Special Features:
- Still love this place butOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2012Still love this place but it is still unbearably loud for dinner, even when every table isn't full.Special Features:
- Rabbit Pasta Not to be MissedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2012Our party of five was happy with the meal, though the pace felt a bit slow. Bambino was packed for a Wednesday night, which may have slowed things. The pasta with rabbit is to die for and one in our party raved about his pork chop. The wine list ran a bit exotic and obscure, which seems to be all the rage. All in all, a very pleasant evening - under similar circumstances in the future, we will note that we are on a schedule (one in our party had a flight to catch).Special Features:
- I've been to Bar Bambino severalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2012I've been to Bar Bambino several times, but this time, the food, while good, was served in much smaller portions and the waitstaff--from the hostess, to our waiter even to the buser--were so unfriendly that I kept apologizing to the guests I'd brought that were visiting SF. Too bad--this used to be a great spot. Won't be back again.
- Since my last visit to BarBambinoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2012Since my last visit to BarBambino I found the service much less personal, more hurried and the food far more expensive. Unfortunately, the experience was not nearly worth the expense of the meal. Very disappointing.
- Bar Bambino never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2012Bar Bambino never disappoints. The food is excellent, service is awesome, etc. It's a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Service was not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2012Service was not very good this visit. We even had to ask for a wine list after we were seated because we weren't given one. When the staff came to the table, they were nice, but they didn't come very often.
- Always FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/24/2012One of my favorite places in one of the sketchiest places in San Francisco. Amazing food and fantastic service. Take a cab.Special Features:
- Off to a rude startOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2012Almost left shortly after arrival. We had a reservation.....the woman that 'greeted us' (if you could call it that) could not have been more RUDE....multiple times...yikes! Happily the food was excellent, and our server was terrific. Unfortunately, I never quite recovered from the initial encounter -- thats how bad it was. I have been to Bar Bambino several times since it opened- - -this is my first negative experience there.Special Features:
- In my personal opinion, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2012In my personal opinion, this place is overselling itself. The general rundown of my experience here was that my girlfriend enjoyed her meal and I did not. I found the food to be overpriced and a little bit more in the realm of a friend inviting me over for something their "trying out" rather than a chef trading me $20 for a "well executed plate". She was very pleased to be able to order gluten-free, however. That being said, one thing that she and I were in agreement on was that the service here was very much sub-par. After receiving our desert menus, we waited nearly 20 minutes to have an order taken. It was long enough that I asked the server to bring our check along with our desert, which she failed to do. I don't think I'd go back.
- Bambino is one of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2012Bambino is one of our favorites job SF. It is hip, delicious, gracious and overall a fabulous experienceSpecial Features:
- Love this place in the Mission.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2012Love this place in the Mission. It's an Italian restaurant with a fantastic wine list. Food is delicious.Special Features:
- The meat plate was to dieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2012The meat plate was to die for with a large selection of curred meats from the area, and the dishes were well balanced with something for everybodaySpecial Features:
- Food was mediocre and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2012Food was mediocre and very over-priced. Service was lax and big on "selling."
- Mission District Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2012outstanding and unusual food selections...beautiful restaurant in a location you wouldn't expect to find one...exceptional wait staff...eclectic wine list which could use some California selectionsSpecial Features:
- I did a search on "rusticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/5/2012I did a search on "rustic Italian" in SF and Bar Bambino came up. I had a little hesitation going to the Mission district instead of Columbus Avenue, but the location did not disappoint. The food was delicious and if your'e a fan of Italian meats and cheeses, this place is heaven! I believe they have 7 different cheeses. Some negatives about the restaurant are that the portions are small for the price you pay. I ordered Quail and for $27, it would have been nice to get something with it...a salad....a side. The quail came with barley, and I found it was more barley than it was quail. The rear portion is outside but covered. There are plenty of heat lamps and even blankets to keep things warm, but know that you are eating outside.Special Features:
- I've been to Bar Bambino manySpikeDined on 6/4/2012I've been to Bar Bambino many times before. The food has always been delicious and creative. I will continue to patronize this restaurant!Special Features:
- Loved everything about our dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/2/2012Outstanding service, food and atmosphere. There are so many great tastes on the menu, you can't really go wrong. We decided to ask for help from our waiter and each of the four of us had spectacular first and main courses. Even though the restaurant is small, I love that there are 3 or maybe 4 distinct areas of the restaurant. The use of the mirrors on the wall in the main area makes either side of the table feel connected to the vibrancy of the action around you.Special Features:
- As vegetarians, my partnerOllieNJoeDined on 6/2/2012As vegetarians, my partner and I have been pleased with all of our Bar Bambino meals and experiences. Last weekend was no exception. We took a guest this time and shared our fun. She was equally delighted. Living along the 18th Street corridor, we have to pass the entire Gourmet Ghetto to eat at Bar Bambino. Bar Bambino remains our "neighborhood" favorite.Special Features:
- Ridiculously good. And withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/24/2012Ridiculously good. And with the ever-changing menu, I can go back often!Special Features:
- I think it is important tokenBVIPDined on 5/19/2012I think it is important to review the menu before you go. It's pricey, and in my opinion it did not deliver. Interesting wine list, most over $70.00. Small plates abound, avoid the vegetable soup.
- Bar Bambino is in a seedyJacqueVIPDined on 5/19/2012Bar Bambino is in a seedy area so does not feel safe. They stuck my party in the back patio and three was a huge party of 12 that was so noisey you could not hear anyone else talk. The service was very slow making our dinner 3 hours long and painful since you could not talk. The food was good but not great! I will probably not go back since there are so many other choices for really good Italian food in the Mission.
- Portions are small and it'sOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/15/2012Portions are small and it's a bit expensive. But the food is divine and the service is above average and solid. A wonderful spot overall.Special Features: