2138 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://baravignon.com/
- Phone: (503) 517-0808
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Eric Joppie
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private table seats up to 12 guests. Visit the reservation page on the website for details or call daily after 4:00pm.
- Private Party Contact: Randy 5035170808x
A word from Bar Avignon
Market driven menu, changes daily. Oysters on the half shell. House made pasta & charcuterie. Hand crafted cocktails. Eight beers on draught. Beer engine. Award winning wine list. 25 wines by the glass. Outdoor seating. Happy Hour 5p-6p Monday-Friday. Delicious. Comfortable. Casual. Sexy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bar Avignon - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
Bar Avignon reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (58)notable wine list (48)romantic (29)special occasion (23)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Neighborhood SpotBruceDined on 11/20/2014We go here often the Staff, the food, the great wine selection all blend into a great dining experience whether it is a 5pm (Happy Hour) or later in the evening. One of my 2 favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014One of our group ordered a flight of wine—three 2 oz pours. The first was virtually undrinkable but the server made no effort to make amends. When we received the bill there was a $48 charge for a glass of wine, which was incorrect. The server did have it corrected but with absolutely no apology whatsoever. The food was okay—a bit overpriced for what we had. None of our group will be returning to BA....there are just so many more options in this competitive market.Special Features:
- A fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Love going here, great for dropping in but often busy -- reservations recommended. The mussels right now are a taste of France!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beveragesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Bar Avignon has a limited menu, but everything is well executed so you can't go wrong. There is an open kitchen and bar so you can watch the pros at work. Lots of things are made from scratch and everything is fresh and local. It has a vibrant neighborhood feel. The restaurant is small, so it works well for groups of 2 or 4. There is a larger, private dining room in the back that would be great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sublime ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014I love this place. The wait staff is knowledgeable, friendly (without being in your face) and attentive. The server offered suggestions for aperitifs and thus we were off to a great start. The meals were sumptuous, flavorful, and beautifully plated. The pace was perfect, too. I'm reminded of a Parisian bistros when I eat here- without the surly waiters.Special Features:
- A real gemfingrlikengdDined on 11/2/2014Our first visit to Bar Avignon was all it took to add it to our list of favorite restaurants. The service was perfect. Knowledgable with the menu offerings and the wine list, our server was a joy to interact with. The food is as good as it gets and the ambiance perfect for small groups, couples or solo diner. We will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kccmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The server was knowledgeable, he knew enough to recommend the high price entree and wine. He was friendly enough and we have no complaints about him personally. The service was slow, from the time we sat to the time we received our entree was a over an hour. We had a soup as an appetizer that arrived at a reasonable time. I had a steak ( medium rare) and my partner had a mushroom veggie dish. Neither I believe should have taken long to cook. My steak was warm, not hot. It was a New York cut. It was chewy.
- Everything was wonderful.BeebeeDined on 10/26/2014Starters, entrees, wine, cocktails: everything was delicious. Great, relaxing atmosphere. We had the perfect amount of attention from our server, and he even remembered our names (I, sadly, don't remember his.) I will definitely be back. What we ate: the Netarts oysters, a cheddar cheese board with apple butter, rosemary-paprika glazed hazelnuts. Pumpkin soup and salad, ling cod entree, wild mushroom pappardelle, and steak meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable food, forgettable serviceFoodisLifeDined on 10/24/2014A cozy spot where the food is excellent, and like so many Portland restaurants, the service was meh... Always disappointing when the front of the house can't match the quality of the kitchen. Left waiting for menus, for water, for drinks and she didn't seem to care. I will go back for the food and tolerate the service in much the same way they seemed to tolerate my table...Special Features:
- Old FriendsJamesonDined on 10/19/2014Had dinner with my daughter and some old friends I knew when we all lived in LA. They had not seen my daughter for 21 years. One of my guests is vegetarian. I have eaten here several times now and am never disappointed. The food is always excellent and the wait staff appropriately knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. While I love the food and even the atmosphere, when the place is full it is a little too loud. I will return again and again.Special Features:
- Great place w/ knowledgeable staffMatthewDined on 10/16/2014Cozy neighborhood bar with great food and an extensive wine list. A limited selection of vegetarian dishes, but a good array of vegetarian small bites/starters. Selection of oysters in season. Staff is intimately familiar with the menu and the wine list, can make good recommendations. Most appealing: the music was not so loud as to make talking impossible. The sounds you hear are the conversations and the laughter around you, and can still hear the music. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King Charles !!2FansofMingoDined on 10/12/2014Everyone enjoyed their food. Service was excellent. "Twenty characters remaining."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around experienceBrentDined on 10/11/2014Bar Avignon has consistently, for the five years that we have been patronizing them, produced an unbeatable dining experience. We love the space, staff, and of course the food + drink are fantastic. Enough said - wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- A lovely spotlivetoeat31Dined on 10/1/2014If you go in the near future get the chicory salad. The ham and cheese vinaigrette is as wondful as it sounds and the grapes add the perfect amount of sweet. The octopus is tender and well seasoned. The charcuterie is where it is at. The crayfish and rockfish terrine was rich and complex. The liverwurst subtle with hints of caramelized onion. The wine list here is beautiful and our waitress knew her stuff. A terrific place for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intimate setting/sophisticated foodSparkyReviewVIPDined on 9/26/2014perfect neighborhood dinner spot, or destination. Great table in back for large group too. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendbellatoulaDined on 9/23/2014This was a great experience for food. I have been here several times and have always had a great experience with the service, food and drink. The octopus on the menu was delicious. I highly recommend this appetizer. I only gave the ambiance 3 stars due to the front door being open and it being a little too cold to take our jackets off at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJohnDined on 9/20/2014We love Bar Avignon. Never disappointed with the incredible meals and the fabulous wait staff. This time we had out of town guests from Chicago and they were totally smitten. We have had large dinners, graduation, client dinners, and just the two of us and it is amazing how they handle a large party as well as a smaller party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just greatmtcyclistDined on 9/19/2014I don't live in Portland but my son does and I picked this place to take him for a birthday dinner when I knew i would be in town. I picked it because it was described as French and had very good reviews on Yelp. The reviews were not wrong. The food here is exceptional and the wine list is very good with a lot of variety. My son, his girlfriend and I all enjoyed everything we ordered. I ordered the wild mushroom pappardelle and it was delicious. We all enjoyed the crispy smashed new potatoes as an appetizer and the rose wine flight. I passed on dessert but my son and his GF really enjoyed the vanilla creme brulee with huckleberries. My wife and I will be in Portland next year for a week and Bar Avignon is on our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLennyDined on 9/18/2014It's a great restaurant. We had 7:30 reservations and it was full. It did take a long time to be served - we waited over 30 minutes for the food. The server said we had all ordered around the same time. That was the only negative. The food itself is fantastic.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gemgreeneyes44Dined on 9/13/2014We live in the area and make a point to check out our local restaurants. Bar Avignon is one of our favorites. The food is always a delightful surprise and the wine list is the perfect size. We also get to observe a great street scene from the wonderful windows. Love this place.Special Features:
- Splendid evening, superior cuisineflashlightheadDined on 9/12/2014Staff were thoughtful and excellent from reception to top offs and departure. We thoroughly enjoyed the fresh, high quality menu selections - oysters, numerous vegetarian options, even the locally roasted nuts were a delight! The extensive wine list has this in common with the menu: no bad choices, just amply variety to please every palate. Bar Avignon has consistently delivered a tier one dining experience for family, celebrations, dates and drop ins.Special Features:
- Portlandia?luv2dineDined on 9/2/2014Our waiter was so pretentious. Food was not good. The price was reasonable.
- wonder why I waitedrickVIPDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant's quality is beyond the usual "neighborhood find". The staff were helpful and they were present was just the right amount of time and made us feel welcome even though we obviously were not regulars. The "pastrami" cured albacore was particularly good and different (though the name is misleading since it is done with pastrami type spices not actual what most of think as pastrami). The goat cheese agnolotti with fresh corn and house made Italian sausage was decadent and worth the calories. My only suggestion is that for $4 surcharge for bread and they should offer something other than white baguette (though it was fresh and tasty from a local bakery down the street: little t American baker). Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- qwertyfoodyDined on 8/23/2014The wait service was excellent. Very noisy. Everything was so overcooked that you could barely cut it. I would never waste money there on dinner.
- Nice FindInfrequentfoodieDined on 8/13/2014Excellent wine service, freindly and informed wait staff. Nice local seasonal menu. We did not have entrees, but sampled and shared the small plates. (and dessert of course) Not too loud, so nice for a great conversation with freinds. Outside neighborhood seating available as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn down the musicsamIamDined on 8/10/2014We brought a couple visiting from California. Background music at 6 pm was pretty loud and it was hard to talk. Perhaps we should have sat outside. Love those hazelnuts, the cheese, the wine choices and vegetables. Had a good time on a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Great for Outdoor DiningmyronwongDined on 7/27/2014It was a Sunday evening and coverage for both indoors and outdoors may have been too much ground to cover. However, the food is always great, especially the fresh oysters. And always, the bavette steak and roast chicken was superb. This is still one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Never disappointsKPeeeeDined on 7/26/2014We have had the pleasure of dining here on a number of occasions and it's always wonderful. The service is great, the food is incredible. The menu changes which is nice too. Great oysters. Love going here and will continue to recommend it.Special Features:
- One of Portland's BestDSPDXDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Bar Avignon many times and have never been disappointed. The menu is inventive. The wine list is excellent. And the staff is always fantastic. Our waiter had only been working there for two days and already had a handle on the menu and provided an excellent experience from beginning to end. Don't miss the salads. They are always amazing. Probably my favorite restaurant in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruce BBruceDined on 7/26/2014As always this neighborhood gem delivers up great and innovative food, good service an impressive wine list, a very good bar and great staff. I am fortunate to live just 2 blocks away from this place.Special Features:
- The following 209 reviews are from the Bar Avignon reviews archive.
- luv2eatoutDined on 7/18/2014We have been to Bar Avignon previously with a friend. We decided to take another friend there for dinner and he was duly impressed. Great food, great service and super atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingSteveVIPDined on 7/14/2014Heard alot about this place and it has gotten great reviews, but we were not quite as impressed as others. The service itself was lacking in attention to details, although our server was personable and helpful. The menu looked inspired, but suffered in flavor and style. The rosemary, paprika hazelnuts were very interesting and tasty, however, but this may have been because I had never had them before. All in all edible, but no where near delicious. The restaurant itself is sparse, cramped and uncomfortable with hard wooden seating and folding chairs outside. Just OK and quite a distance from downtown and trendy NW where there are numerous higher end choices.Special Features:
- alanDined on 7/9/2014Bar Avignon is a great Portland restaurant in every sense of the word. The food is always fantastic. The service is friendly and helpful but never overbearing - just right. The place is beautiful, but not pretentious - it feels good if your trying for romantic or just plain comfortable and fun. It's one of our favorite places!Special Features:
- Very freshcmcfreshfoodDined on 6/20/2014When I go out to eat I try, as often as possible, to find restaraunts that serve local, fresh food. The oysters on the half shell were delicious and from the Oregon and Washington coast. Menu is seasonal using fresh ingredients. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 6/16/2014We were met in a very welcoming manner and had the best neighborhood service nad a fantastic meal. I will come back here again and again. The oysters are out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Our premier eating spot in Portland. Exquisite and inventive food without being pretentious or difficult to eat. Sharp clear tastes. The owners have succeeded in establishing a wonderfully communal atmosphere while serving the highest quality food. Prices are reasonable for what they are serving. Waiters are knowledgeable in wine and food. Even met the chef one night. Superb.Special Features:
- WonderfulebfpDined on 6/13/2014Best crudo and bavette steak in town. Foraged greens perfectly dressed should not be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopefulDined on 6/5/2014Oysters incredibly fresh, perfectly cooked salmon, great small plates to go with wines. Service friendly, prompt and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceKittyDined on 6/3/2014Our first time on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was busy. The food was interesting, delicious, and prepared well. We had scallop (raw) appetizer, pea soup with lemon balm, pork chop and spinach paparadelle. All wonderful. My only comment on food was that the spinach pasta was a bit salty. It is such a tasty dish with fava beans, mushrooms, and cheese that it did not need salt to enhance.Special Features:
- dinner with didiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014just down the street and around the corner we go for mussels for my 6 year old grandaughter and too many seductive choices for me. dinner or happy hour always lovely, never disappointing or ho-hum. we are spoiled & delighted. preparation is right-on and staff thoroughly gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.