2138 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://baravignon.com/
- Phone: 5035170808x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Eric Joppie
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private table seats up to 12 guests. Visit the reservation page on the website for details or call daily after 4:00pm.
- Private Party Contact: Randy 5035170808x
A word from Bar Avignon
Market driven menu, changes daily. Oysters on the half shell. House made pasta & charcuterie. Hand crafted cocktails. Eight beers on draught. Beer engine. Award winning wine list. 25 wines by the glass. Outdoor seating. Happy Hour 5p-6p Monday-Friday. Delicious. Comfortable. Casual. Sexy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bar Avignon - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
Bar Avignon reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (39)romantic (25)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- wonder why I waitedrickVIPDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant's quality is beyond the usual "neighborhood find". The staff were helpful and they were present was just the right amount of time and made us feel welcome even though we obviously were not regulars. The "pastrami" cured albacore was particularly good and different (though the name is misleading since it is done with pastrami type spices not actual what most of think as pastrami). The goat cheese agnolotti with fresh corn and house made Italian sausage was decadent and worth the calories. My only suggestion is that for $4 surcharge for bread and they should offer something other than white baguette (though it was fresh and tasty from a local bakery down the street: little t American baker). Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindInfrequentfoodieDined on 8/13/2014Excellent wine service, freindly and informed wait staff. Nice local seasonal menu. We did not have entrees, but sampled and shared the small plates. (and dessert of course) Not too loud, so nice for a great conversation with freinds. Outside neighborhood seating available as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn down the musicsamIamDined on 8/10/2014We brought a couple visiting from California. Background music at 6 pm was pretty loud and it was hard to talk. Perhaps we should have sat outside. Love those hazelnuts, the cheese, the wine choices and vegetables. Had a good time on a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Great for Outdoor DiningmyronwongDined on 7/27/2014It was a Sunday evening and coverage for both indoors and outdoors may have been too much ground to cover. However, the food is always great, especially the fresh oysters. And always, the bavette steak and roast chicken was superb. This is still one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Never disappointsKPeeeeDined on 7/26/2014We have had the pleasure of dining here on a number of occasions and it's always wonderful. The service is great, the food is incredible. The menu changes which is nice too. Great oysters. Love going here and will continue to recommend it.Special Features:
- One of Portland's BestDSPDXDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Bar Avignon many times and have never been disappointed. The menu is inventive. The wine list is excellent. And the staff is always fantastic. Our waiter had only been working there for two days and already had a handle on the menu and provided an excellent experience from beginning to end. Don't miss the salads. They are always amazing. Probably my favorite restaurant in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruce BBruceDined on 7/26/2014As always this neighborhood gem delivers up great and innovative food, good service an impressive wine list, a very good bar and great staff. I am fortunate to live just 2 blocks away from this place.Special Features:
- luv2eatoutDined on 7/18/2014We have been to Bar Avignon previously with a friend. We decided to take another friend there for dinner and he was duly impressed. Great food, great service and super atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingSteveVIPDined on 7/14/2014Heard alot about this place and it has gotten great reviews, but we were not quite as impressed as others. The service itself was lacking in attention to details, although our server was personable and helpful. The menu looked inspired, but suffered in flavor and style. The rosemary, paprika hazelnuts were very interesting and tasty, however, but this may have been because I had never had them before. All in all edible, but no where near delicious. The restaurant itself is sparse, cramped and uncomfortable with hard wooden seating and folding chairs outside. Just OK and quite a distance from downtown and trendy NW where there are numerous higher end choices.Special Features:
- alanDined on 7/9/2014Bar Avignon is a great Portland restaurant in every sense of the word. The food is always fantastic. The service is friendly and helpful but never overbearing - just right. The place is beautiful, but not pretentious - it feels good if your trying for romantic or just plain comfortable and fun. It's one of our favorite places!Special Features:
- Very freshcmcfreshfoodDined on 6/20/2014When I go out to eat I try, as often as possible, to find restaraunts that serve local, fresh food. The oysters on the half shell were delicious and from the Oregon and Washington coast. Menu is seasonal using fresh ingredients. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 6/16/2014We were met in a very welcoming manner and had the best neighborhood service nad a fantastic meal. I will come back here again and again. The oysters are out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Our premier eating spot in Portland. Exquisite and inventive food without being pretentious or difficult to eat. Sharp clear tastes. The owners have succeeded in establishing a wonderfully communal atmosphere while serving the highest quality food. Prices are reasonable for what they are serving. Waiters are knowledgeable in wine and food. Even met the chef one night. Superb.Special Features:
- WonderfulebfpDined on 6/13/2014Best crudo and bavette steak in town. Foraged greens perfectly dressed should not be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopefulDined on 6/5/2014Oysters incredibly fresh, perfectly cooked salmon, great small plates to go with wines. Service friendly, prompt and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceKittyDined on 6/3/2014Our first time on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was busy. The food was interesting, delicious, and prepared well. We had scallop (raw) appetizer, pea soup with lemon balm, pork chop and spinach paparadelle. All wonderful. My only comment on food was that the spinach pasta was a bit salty. It is such a tasty dish with fava beans, mushrooms, and cheese that it did not need salt to enhance.Special Features:
- dinner with didiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014just down the street and around the corner we go for mussels for my 6 year old grandaughter and too many seductive choices for me. dinner or happy hour always lovely, never disappointing or ho-hum. we are spoiled & delighted. preparation is right-on and staff thoroughly gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood restaurantKAT1Dined on 5/25/2014This venue was absolutely delightful, the food was very good without being overly rich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe and LindaJLW2dineVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is our favorite 'go-to' dining spot. We are treated like family. We love the food - it is always fantastic. The wine selections are perfect. The ambiance, chef, servers, owners, clientelle contribute to a wonderful casual dining experience. Why go anywhere else?Special Features:
- Really goodPdxlmDined on 5/22/2014This place started as a small neighborhood wine bar about 5 years ago. It steadily broadened the menu and now has great fish, meat, and veggie entries every night. The desserts are innovative, the prices are fair and the wines are still among the most interesting in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon AppetitFood2shareDined on 5/15/2014This was my first time dining at Bar Avignon and I was delighted by the whole experience. It was all I anticipated in terms of savory food and wine. Dessert was worth the caloric intake! Inviting intimate atmosphere in a local neighborhood eastside venue. The waitress was attentive but not invasive and the dining experience was relaxed as social meals ought to be! I would return on another special occasion.Special Features:
- MEHdiscriminatinggourmandDined on 5/13/2014The food was better than serviceable, and the salad was good, but the rest of the meal was not noteworthy. The service was the typical Pacific aggressive laid back neighborhood thing I don't find charming, and the server never asked me or my companion if we wanted another drink throughout our meal, even though we each finished our first drinks with our first course, had several courses and sat a long time after our meal.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Bar Avignon reviews archive.
- Delightful except--quiet2pleaseDined on 5/3/2014too noisy. Menu is varied; prices are reasonable; wine selection excellent; service thoughtful & timely; but noise level makes conversation a struggle at times.Special Features:
- Hidden GemamkhounDined on 5/3/2014For French and french inspired cuisine, you can't do much better than Bar Avignon. We chose it for a "date night" before a concert, and it was marvelous. The food was absolutely outstanding, and more than that it was well portioned. After bread, a full entree and a shared dessert neither myself nor my wife had leftovers and we were both pleasantly full. The staff were very friendly and absolutely on top of our service. I do strenuously recommend reservations, however, as the venue is small and tends to fill up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in a trendy place.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food in a very popular place. Service is very good. Music needs to be changed: bad and annoying.
- Good for couplesRLS7537Dined on 4/26/2014We had a "corner table" that was small and square. Because we were sitting next to each other we could easily converse. Amazing food and wine. It would take a LOT of self-discipline keep the tab from getting out-of-hand.Special Features:
- Great food and marvelous serviceVoyacomerDined on 4/25/2014We had a simply wonderful meal - food, service, other dinner guests ... Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Unbelievably delicious food, great wine list of course, very good (although a bit short) beer list, fantastic service! What a great place! The only downside about this would be that it's fairly small and a bit snug. We ended up chatting with the people at the next table because we were seated so close to them it seemed almost rude not to. Not good for romantic privacy. Great for food and drink!Special Features:
- Classic dishes, creatively done.PDXGregDined on 4/20/2014Great small restaurant with a narrow but varied menu. Excellent service. A good variety of dishes, but with a local twist all made for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014We had a great time. Richard was our server for most of the night- great job! Yummy cheese plates too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Bar Avignon was my husband and my first restaurant experience in Portland and would absolutely return. Great ambiance, knowledgeable wait staff ready to answer all our questions from specifics of the oysters to specifics of each wine on their substantial list. Great spot.Special Features:
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2014Definitely, try the chicken liver mousse it is soo good. Cocktails were delicious as well. We shared a few small plates that were all excellent, but that chicken liver was amazing. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience!!!!wonderwindypdxVIPDined on 4/4/2014This is in our top 3 and has yet to disappoint! We had the halibut crudo with tarragon aioli (yum and delicate), then had the black cod and seafood risotto...best ever! Finally, we ended with gouda and lamb belly board. Great wine selection, service is always super friendly and the atmosphere is enjoyable. This is our go to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We appreciated the effortOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/3/2014We appreciated the effort the restaurant made to dampen the noise. Four of us could have a conversation without shouting---a rarity these days! In addition, the food was outstanding. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A friend and I came here fordballsDined on 3/31/2014A friend and I came here for the last night of Portland Dining Month and it was fantastic. The service was exceptional (thanks, Robert!), the food was exquisite, and the atmosphere was enchanting. We had salad, soup, chicken, risotto, panna cotta, and cookies. I had a mint limeade and she had a glass of red wine. We were both completely satiated and happy. I will be back, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great to share thisOrcaDined on 3/31/2014It was great to share this delicious meal with my goddaughter. The chicken was so tasty and the pork chop done perfectly. The Panna cotta was delicious though I felt the addition of pepper was too much, maybe smaller pieces of the pepper would have worked better.Special Features:
- Good food-better bar-great servicekatiedidDined on 3/31/2014My sister and I went to Bar Avignon on the last day of Portland dining month, it was the first visit for both of us. We both selected the 3 course chicken dinner special with a pre-dinner cocktail and a bottle of wine with dinner. The food arrived promptly and has hot and tasty, but a bit on the bland side. Don't get me wrong, we ate our food but it just didn't wow us. The cocktails and service were a wow factor and we enjoyed both. Robert was our server and he was great, attentive and fun. It was the best service I've had in Portland for a while. The wine list offered a lot of choice both by the bottle and by the glass. We will be back for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great winePortlandChrisDined on 3/30/2014I'm been here 3 times. Love the food (although perhaps a bit more fennel than I would have liked in several dishes), love the wine list. Mussels were divine, hazelnut and warm olive nibbles also terrific. Tables are a bit close and it can be loud, but was fine on a Sunday early evening. Music was Motown this past time -- okay for me, but a bit incongruent perhaps, which I'm sure is what they're aiming for. I will keep coming back -- and the staff is wonderful, very kind to my 86-year old mother.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Avignon is great everyalanDined on 3/29/2014Bar Avignon is great every time: special occasions or a simple night out for two. I have always loved the food (fantastic pork chops), the cocktails, the wine selection (we were introduced to Cote du Rhone here) and the friendly and welcoming service. This is one of our favorites on a very selective short list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated greatneonsdfDined on 3/28/2014Staff were great. Food was fantastic. It was a very nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.