Bar and Kitchen
819 S. Flower
Los Angeles, CA 90017Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barandkitchenla.com/
- Phone: 2137843048x
- Hours of Operation:
lunch: Mon - Fri 11:30am - 4pm
dinner: Mon-Thurs 4pm-10pm (last dinner reservation accepted at 9:30)
Friday 4 pm - 11pm (last dinner reservation accepted at 10:30)
Saturday: 5 pm - 11 pm (last dinner reservation accepted at 10:30)
Sunday: 5pm - 10 (last dinner reservation at 9:30)
BAR : Mon-Thurs open -10 pm
Fri - Sat open til midnight
Sun open til 11
Happy Hour - mon - fri 4pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Vahan Tokmadjian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining section of the mezzanine floor overlooking the hotel lobby, with the ability to seat up to 25. The entire mezzanine is available for gatherings of up to 70 guests. We also offer a private dining room for groups of up to 10.
- Private Party Contact: Jeremy Light 213-784-3048x
- Cross Street: W 8th St
- Public Transit: Bar | Kitchen is located in the Financial district. The Financial District is served by the Metro Rail Red Line and Blue Line, with the 7th St/Metro Center (LACMTA station) as the primary station.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking garage is located directly South of the restaurant but is not affiliated with the hotel or Bar | Kitchen.
A word from Bar and Kitchen
Bar and Kitchen is a New-American restaurant focused on farm-fresh local Californian cuisine. Matched to this, Bar and Kitchen's beverages focus on wines from small producers, beers from craft brewers, and classically inspired cocktails.Continued
We are located inside the O Hotel
We are located inside the O Hotel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (10)romantic (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)special occasion (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Average.PhillyRichVIPDined on 9/5/2014I guess I was expecting a more interesting menu at this stylish restaurant. The place has a nice vibe and decor but the food was average and the menu somewhat limited. I'd go back for a drink and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly ServiceChiefFoodOfficerVIPDined on 7/27/2014Food was enjoyable, especially the shrimp and grits. But the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Outstanding service. Food was ok.EBeanDined on 7/26/2014The service at the restaurant was incredible. Our server was very attentive and nice. Our drinks were delicious. However the food was just ok. We tried the Dine LA menu and neither of us were blown away by the flavor. I had the duck breast and it was tough to chew although duck breast is hard to get right. My guest had the lamb chops and we both felt that the plate just didn't come together.Special Features:
- Just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Service, menu and food were all acceptable, but nothing to write home about. I do not think that the restaurant was worth the price.
- cutejjfoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2014excellent food with good service. ambience is ok. nice bar area.Special Features:
- A great birthday spotI8hereDined on 6/19/2014I really like this downtown find. The food is really great. The shrimp and grits, macaroni and cheese and drinks are delicious. My friend ordered the quail. It was teeny tiny and to me not worth the price. The waitress was sweet, but because the place was busy, I believe a bit overwhelmed and forgot a couple of orders during the dinner. Other than that everything was great and I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, funky, mid week eatinghsquaredDined on 6/17/2014Came for a tuesday night latish dinner on the recommendation of a chef friend from Orange County. Restaurant was quiet so we had a pick of tables which mean the two of us buddied up on the one side of a four man table- better for sharing! Good cocktails. However we were a bit surprised when our food came out while we were still drinking them! In the UK a cocktail would normally be a pre-dinner thing and then we'd have ordered wine to go with our food. We should have made it clearer what we were expecting. Lovely, unusual flavours in both our meals. Fantasticly garlicky greens with the quail. Excellent puddings. Attentive service.Special Features:
- For EveryoneComfortableinaktchenDined on 6/9/2014The food at Bar and Kitchen would have to please almost anyone. Great mac'n cheese. Beet salad had some of the best beets I have ever eaten. The waiters were flexible, attendant and in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 217 reviews are from the Bar and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Hidden gem...foodie05Dined on 5/17/2014Small, dark restaurant; cool bar area; good food; menu changed every 3 months. amazing pairing of seasonings for sides and main entre.Special Features:
- Right on the money..CoachkDined on 5/16/2014Bar and kitchen has a very New York vibe in a town with wayyy too much smoke and mirrors (quite literally). High open ceilings make for a relaxing vibe for one to enjoy their meal. Delicious meal items such a pork belly tacos and shrimp & grits left ya very satisfied. I hope to return if I an ever in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but undiscoveredBooked2DineVIPDined on 4/21/2014Undiscovered...at least at lunchtime on a Monday. Between 11:30 and 12:30 only two tables were occupied. This restaurant is in the O Hotel. The food was very good, especially the Mac & Cheese. Very, very cold Icelandic beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly fantastic, one dudLAChingonaDined on 4/19/2014I love this place because it's kind of off the beaten path and you kind of have to know it's there to know about it. It's intimate, but not overly so. Our service was out of this world good. Most of the menu is fantastic. The Brussels Sprouts were delicious, as was my dining partner's hash. But the asparagus soup was dreadfully bland. The eggplant "caviar" was not what I was expecting (it was more of a steak-alternative tartar), and not nearly salty enough to be called caviar. That said, the bread that starts the meal is to die for, and the salt and peppered butter is a great nuance.Special Features:
- Good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/2/2014Sampled several dishes there recently with some friends, and while none of the dishes were bad, only a few were great. On the app side, the fried shrimp were perfectly cooked, fresh and crunchy - I could eat a bucket of those! The warm feta with toast was nice, the pork rinds tasted klike pork rinds (nothing special), and the pork belly tacos were pronounced excellent. The cuttlefish was good - I loved the vinegary beluga lentil salad under it. Though the overall dish of chicken confit was tasty (the Brussels sprout and potato hash was excellent), but the chicken itself was dry. Service was friendly and good, but could have been more attentive, as the place was not that busy.
- bar and kitchenLovefoodDined on 3/22/2014Great experience! Service was amazing! They were very attentive and gave great suggestions for drinks. Food was good too! The burger and truffle tater tots and the mussel small plate so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2014The food was great, our server was attentive but not annoying, and everything was fairly priced. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!meeshyDined on 3/16/2014My friend and I happened along Bar and Kitchen before a friend's vodka bar party downtown and we are glad we did! I had the brussel sprouts which were soooo good and erased the memories of my mother's boiled little cabbages completely. I also had the bacon encrusted mac n cheese which was so bad and yet so good. Not a light meal by any means, but delicious! Also, the waitstaff was laid back and yet attentive. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentDougDined on 3/14/2014I had a great experience here the first night. Good cocktails, great apps, nice service and friendly vibe to the whole evening. Based on that - why go somewhere else? So we didn't. We came back the next night and experienced the exact opposite. Ironically, it was mostly the same people. The hostess turned curt and unhelpful. The waiter was inattentive. The food was medicore. The manager was still nice and remembered us, but she seemed to miss the fact that we left as soon as we could because our experience was not worth continuing. Sad, because I am here two more days and I don't mind sticking with what I like.Special Features:
- We dined early on a SundayRamblinRoseDined on 3/2/2014We dined early on a Sunday so it was quiet, probably not always the case. Ambience is casual. We had fast and friendly service. Loved the mac and cheese. Some of the other dishes, like the burger and the jidori chicken, were good, but a little heavy on the salt. Overall, an enjoyable dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and RelaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014I like to come to this restaurant for business lunches because the food is good and it is very laid back and not too noisy. Love their soups, which is hard to find in LA. Brussel Sprouts are also awesome!Special Features:
- Good for happy hour/light dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 2/18/2014A very hip space in the lobby of the O Hotel. Delicious happy hour fare (pork belly tacos were a favorite). Dinner was good though nothing extraordinary - good burger, gnocchi and chicken.Special Features:
- A limited menu, but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014A limited menu, but good food and even better service. It was a nice place to have dinner downtown before a show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but too sweetUCLASteveVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nice ambience with a fireplace and tables placed at a good distance for privacy. Interesting menu. Should have assumed that the Brussels sprouts with apples and walnuts would be sweet, but the BBQ sauce on the short ribs was excessive in both quantity and sweetness (maybe the "root beer braised" should have been a warning). The sauce on the seared ahi was unremarkable. If you want to avoid red meat, note that several typically nonmeat dishes (e.g. mac and cheese, cuttlefish) have sausage or bacon added, so the selection is more limited.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice bar menu, with some choicesAdventurousOPVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nice bar menu, with some choices that are slightly off the beaten path (sweetbreads appetizer and vegetable hash). We ate very early and therefore got a table in front of the fireplace, which was lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I brought my mom here forthejunglefishDined on 2/14/2014I brought my mom here for Valentine's Day. The restaurant's prix fixe menu and drinks were superb and did not at all leave us hungry. Our servers were phenomenal and so attentive, and the live music was very charming. I would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findCoopDined on 2/14/2014Never been before and planned a Valentine's Day lunch with my wife. B and K didn't disappoint. Great food and vibe. They only issue we had was very slow service. Other than that, I recommend this place for lunch or dinner that you want to take someone special too. Cool Mom's and Dad's will dig it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!!!katkatDined on 2/13/2014I heard their food is usually little bit salty but I asked make it less salty when I ordered. Everything was really good except service.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. TheLloydVIPDined on 2/5/2014The food was excellent. The rainbow trout was cooked to perfection and the Mac 'N Cheese was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Their DineLA menu items didOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Their DineLA menu items did not showcase the amazing food they offer. Was not impressed with dinner. But the service and accommodations for my party size was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!KrisDined on 1/28/2014Went for the DineLA and the food was amazing. I really enjoyed the carrot salad. Great service, would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stumbled across this one...DaveBobDined on 1/26/2014Great spot in a wasteland area of downtown LA (between north and south hotel corridors). Food was inventive and very well presented - all guests were very pleased.Special Features:
- nice & cozy restaurantmonkeyjo126Dined on 1/24/2014Server was very sweet and attentive. Dinela food choices was delicious. Love their rainbow trout and bread pudding. The ambience was nice and cozy with dim light and beautiful fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quick lunchfroggy1Dined on 1/21/2014I just tried this restaurant during restaurant week and it was a great little treat. Crab and grits was very good for the main and the trout rillettes was a tasty starter. If you are looking for a special food-inspired lunch (not atmosphere or neighborhood scene) this is a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great surprise!DRD66VIPDined on 1/17/2014Actually stumbled across this place on OpenTable looking for something different downtown near my office. It was the best burger I've had in a very long time.Special Features:
- A Nice Little PlaceJayFagnanoVIPDined on 1/16/2014Other plans fell through so wound up last minute taking my mother here for her 84th birthday dinner. Service couldn't have been nicer. Server informed us that she was the only one on the floor as they didn't expect to be that busy, but she didn't miss a beat. Food was solid - bone marrow, Jidori Chicken (extra crispy skin) on white beans and sunchokes, and Duck Breast all well prepared and tasty. This is a great little place downtown if you're looking for a nice quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Worth a visitMardDined on 1/13/2014Food was carefully prepared and interesting. Appetizers (mac-and-cheese and peppers-and-green beans) were very tasty. Entree prawns and grits with chorizo sauce was also good, but the chorizo tended to overpower the flavor of the dish. Good and reasonably priced wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar and decent kitchenMsHIpoDined on 1/2/2014My friends and I went during a week night (Thursday) for a small group get-together. The decor of the restaurant was romantically modern located inside the entrance of the O Hotel. The price for the alcoholic drinks are very reasonable and delicious. We ordered a variety several dishes of everything from small plates (marinated & jarred mussels, roasted bone marrow, mac & cheese...) to big plates (root beer braised short ribs, jidori chicken confit, shrimp & grits...) and a few others that was in season. We all shared so that everybody gets a taste of what Bar & Kitchen had to offer. I enjoyed all the dishes especially the roasted bone marrow, mac & cheese (creamy with a nice little kick), and the shrimp & grits. Very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnernomicsDined on 12/29/2013Took a date on a sunday night and we had a great time. They had a nice little 2-piece band doing jazz versions of famous rock songs. The layout is a bit different - kind of open right at the lobby of the hotel, but it was really nice. We had the bone marrow, hamachi, and gnocchi - all were outstanding. The specialty cocktails were also very enjoyable. Also, the price was not unreasonable. Would definitely return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menu - every dish a hitkvdk0624Dined on 12/21/2013The flavors in the dishes here are well thought out and balanced. They are vibrant & deep but not overpowering. Portion sizes are spot on. I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so bad!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/19/2013I was pleasantly surprised with the food here. We ended up picking the shrimp and grits, duck breast and we started with some brussels sprout dish. The brussels sprout dish was a bit sour so we weren't really happy with it. However the duck and shrimp were pretty awesome. The bread was good for the grits. I really enjoyed the interior of the place. The high ceilings and lighting was set just right for me. It's not too moody either. Recommended for just a dinner with a significant other or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good little find in Downtownsuzi0088Dined on 11/16/2013I appreciated how they accommodated our party since they had 2 large parties reserved already in the restaurant. We did not want to sit at a high top nor the couches. The food was very good and the wine was great. I would come back. I just wish parking were cheaper and easier.I would recommend this to a friend.