152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: 2122659700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
681 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (385)special occasion (299)good for groups (192)notable wine list (132)hot spot (126)romantic (117)great for lunch (115)neighborhood gem (102)great for brunch (93)vibrant bar scene (82)late-night find (40)kid-friendly (28)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Memorable Dining Experiencehungry4moreDined on 10/23/2014From start to finish, the celebration dinner for our son's 20th birthday was outstanding. Among the best food selections ordered by our group of six were the cheesy onion soup, bacon-onion pizza and deviled eggs with shrimp. Entree stand-outs were the prime rib special (huge), succulent duck, super tender lamb, and moist snapper over black bean puree. And, the bread basket -- with yummy cornbread sticks! For dessert don't miss the pumpkin break pudding or espresso creme brulee -- wow! The servers struck the perfect balance of attentiveness without being intrusive, and the tab for NY was quite reasonable!Special Features:
- theater nightrobertDined on 10/23/2014we arrive, escorted to our table and immediately met by Christopher, our server. friendly and knowledgeable , he is outstanding. he suggests dishes and takes us through their construct-hes so good you actually feel like to taste the flavors he is describing. we choose and we ask for a wine recommendation, my date is in the wine business and knows her wines but she asks him for his choice. he suggests a Grigich Hills Chardonnay. i know the wine, she does not. we go with it. the food comes-outstanding choices-mine is duck confit with the plumpest duck leg ive ever seen. hers is Cioppolini fish stew. both are amazing and she declares the wine as the best chardonnay she has ever tasted. off to see Caberet, but we will be back!Special Features:
- On TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The staff was very courteous & hospitable. The rain delayed our reservation arrival but they took care of us, food arrived timely & we made our Theater reservation. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014My wife and I dined at Bar Americain a few nights ago. Staff was attentive and friendly. I had the ribeye and my wife had the hangar steak. Both were excellent and more than enough to eat. We had sides of mushrooms and fries and probably could have done without one of the sides. Steaks were flavorful and tender. The steak sauce was different (not sure how to describe it) but I didn't think the steaks benefited from the sauce. They were great by themselves. Wine list is extensive with a nice variety of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Great for drinks, not for foodDCDinerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Mixologist should be commended for making top notch cocktails. Unfortunately, the food quality did not follow suit. Over cooked, over seasoned meat left me looking for Bobby Flay.Special Features:
- KPgreatfoodDined on 10/20/2014We had a great evening and a wonderful dinner - would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We chose Bar Americain for our last dinner on our trip to NYC. We were looking for something classy and this definitely fit the bill. The prices were more expensive than we are used to paying, but we splurged that night. The service was very professional and attentive. The bison was cooked perfectly, as was the skate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing birthday dinnerJessicacarolenaDined on 10/19/2014Such a good experience!! The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatticakesPatticakesDined on 10/19/2014Always a stop for brunch when in New York. It is consistently delicious, a beautiful dining room and first rate service. Love the bread basket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMaryECDined on 10/19/2014My family and I had Sunday brunch a Bar Americain. It was a great experience. The beignets were light and fluffy, melt in your mouth goodness! They give each table a basket of breads which was absolutely delicious. The entrees we had were also delicious with a favorite being the croissant French toast (be careful if you don't like bourbon too much, you can really taste it). The service was right on point, my water glass was never empty and we were given ample time to relax and enjoy our meal. The restaurant itself was beautiful and comfortable, not stuffy or pretentious. I would definitely go back again the next time I am in NYC!Special Features:
- Paying a lot for the name....SmithyDined on 10/18/2014Our first time at Bar Americain was this weekend, but we won't be going back. Whilst most the food was good, with the exception of the steak special which was average at best, we have never felt so rushed at a restaurant. We were seated, ordered, had our appetizers and had our main course... all in less than 40 minutes! Our main meal arrived only a few minutes after we finished our appetizers, and neither of us were ready. Over-expensive fast food experience....
- Fantastic!LAM1LTM1Dined on 10/18/2014We were greeted affably and escorted to our table. Service was excellent - she was always there without being intrusive. Food, all courses, was fantastic.Special Features:
- Always a great timeTrekkieMonsterDined on 10/18/2014Had a wonderful meal and excellent service, as always. Even though it had been a few years since our last visit, we enjoyed the entire dining experience as we always have in the past.Special Features:
- Good, but not Bobby Flay's best!SDinerDined on 10/18/2014Sorry, but Mesa Grill set the standard! Starting with the good, my request to sit in a more quiet area was granted. My main dish, Gulf Shrimp & Grits, tasted delicious. The shrimp were small, but crunchy and tasty. My wife's french fries were great. Now for the not so good, our server was not enthusiastic, or too friendly. My appetizer, Spicy Tuna Tartare, was like eating a gelatinous mass of tuna with capers. I love this dish elsewhere, but here, I almost did and should have returned it! My wife's Rib-eye steak, which she asked for medium-well, came out medium...just as she expected, which was actually what she wanted (strategy!). The meat was tasty, but tougher than any $42 steak we ever ate. Overall, we did enjoy, but no need to return.Special Features:
- Jan618Dined on 10/18/2014Had an amazing dinner with friends. Everyone raved about their meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fair restaurant for before a showCrouton31Dined on 10/18/2014We recently celebrated a milestone birthday with my parents and siblings here before heading to a show. Considering midtown has a lack of decent restaurants, this one was OK, but I certainly wouldn't go back. The onion soup was good, the lamb was overcooked. The waitress was very sweet, and even wrote down what time our show started to make sure we were finished up in time to get over to the theater. The sommelier needs a little work on serving, she pointed the champagne bottle at a guest while opening it, and overflowed a glass. Dinner was OK, but not memorable.Special Features:
- Perfect Brunch Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014I brought my mom to Bar Americain for brunch because she is a HUGE Bobby Flay fan!! The service was great and the food was even better!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average foodAlonVIPDined on 10/17/2014Amazing room at a great midtown location, unfortunately the food is awful. The tuna tartar was ice cold and tasteless, and the fish over over cooked. At these extremely high prices, one should get much better. I have been eating at this place for many years and every time it gets worse. At this point in time it is a tourist trap. Be warned. Decent service.Special Features:
- Cold foodJimbo860Dined on 10/17/2014Unfortunately, my wife's dish was delivered cold, although the plate was very hot. We sent it back and it came back cold a second time. Disappointing.
- Great restaurantKingDined on 10/17/2014We selected Bar Americain based solely on a facebook recommendation and were not disappointed. The food was outstanding as was the ambiance.Special Features:
- business dinner or tourist spotrkr727VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was ok, my grits must have had five tablespoons of butter in it, but it was tasty. Grouper was good, albeit much too much going on with the ingredients. Cavernous space that houses many diners, most of them here to either expense it or see a show.Special Features:
- food4mefood4meDined on 10/16/2014Food was delicious. However, the noise level made it difficult to have conversation.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/16/2014Had lunch with a colleague Thursday. Delicious food--she had shrimp with grits, I had a spicy tuna tartare. We had a great waiter who kept track of the time for us, as my lunch mate had a plane to catch. He offered us a plate of cookie with our coffee...I don't know where they get their cookies...unbelievably good! Overall amazing experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerHandbgqnDined on 10/15/2014Looked for restaurant for pre-theatre dinner. Bar Americain worked perfectly. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. Overall dinner was delicious and had excellent service. Tables not too close together to be annoying. Will definitely make a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent mealLovetoeatgoodfoodDined on 10/15/2014Great lunch with great service! Had lunch before matinee for special occasion and totally enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were hoping for.luc1Dined on 10/13/2014Celebrating our Anniversary, we decided to have a gourmet dinner. This restaurant is all about it, quality of food, taste and service. Don't hope for a romantic or a glamorous venue here: everything is just about making excellent one's culinary experience. Fantastic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/13/2014Bar Americain is outstanding in every way. Every person working in this wonderful restaurant has their job down pat, and they show enthusiasm for it. Everything is top notch here. We had lunch here on our last day of vacation in NYC. It was the perfect ending to our trip. My husband started with the french onion soup. That was superb. Very rich broth and great crouton with cheese. He also had the burger with bleu cheese and fries. That was a huge, delicious burger. The bleu cheese made it very rich, so he only ate about half, but thoroughly enjoyed it. (I enjoyed the bite of it that he gave me!) I had the Southwest Cobb salad and it was great. We shared the angel food cake with blackberry sauce and mint tea for both of us. YUM!Special Features:
- GreatNailTech20Dined on 10/12/2014Fantastic dinner and a place that you wouldn't expect to be kid friendly, but they accommodated my daughter by making her a meal with out all the marinades and sides. Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014Had a great experience here. Food was wonderful and service was fabulous. Great atmosphere. Would come back.Special Features:
- Good meal cold platesRibitDined on 10/12/2014Food was great. My issue is with presentation and delivery. Food was not hot enough and the fact that plates were not warmed up compounds the problem. From such a reputable restaurant that is surprising. Because 3 out of 4 plates came out at the same time and we were waiting for the 4th one this is a noticeable problem. The Cappuccino was luke warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan FriendlyZoepie2Dined on 10/12/2014I am a vegan and was able to eat at Bar Americain simply because the staff and the kitchen were so accommodating. I really was worried that there would be nothing for me to eat. Our waitress even pointed out to me which breads were vegan and which were not. I hope as more people begin to choose this lifestyle, there will be even more choices for vegans on the menu.Special Features:
- Nice New York ExperienceNYExperienceDined on 10/11/2014This was me and my boyfriend's first visit to NY, and Bar American meet all of our expectations. The food was amazing and it was also very close to the theater. The atmosphere was very inviting and we had a very nice dinner on our last night in New York.Special Features:
- Great Food AgainGR23Dined on 10/11/2014We have eaten here several times and still love to come back or bring guests to experience the seasonal changes of this tasty upscale American menu. The appetizers are exceptional, especially the seafood, because they are bright and fresh. We still love the steaks for our entree although the other choices are delightful as well. We tried several desserts, my favorites were the gingerbread souffle and pumpkin bread pudding. They both tasted like fall with the cool afternoons and evenings. The service is always top notch even though it is a very busy restaurant. Don't miss this restaurant if you need a pre- or post-theater meal.Special Features:
- Bring your appetiteBigmrciaDined on 10/11/2014This place is primarily a raw bar and steak house. Not fit for vegetarians. Lucky for me, I love meat. My steak had great flavor, but was doused in pepper in some spots, and a little tough for the price. The vidalia onion soup, a la carte sides, and desserts were magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014really surprised by the attentive and friendly service especially on a Friday night of a three day weekend. The shrimp and grits were a novel way of serving a southern dish. My only complaint was it was a bit noisy
- Bar américain disappointingTerryDined on 10/10/2014I really looked forward to visiting a Bobby Flay restaurant as I enjoy his shows and cookbooks. Liked the atmosphere. Ordered a $42 rare steak with mushrooms. The steak was medium rare and the toughest steak I can remember having in a restaurant-had to saw it with the serrated knife. The man at the table next to me was having the same problem-he actually asked for a sharper knife so he could cut his meat. The cheesecake was not special. I could see going back for lunch, and now I can say I went to one of his restaurants. Wish the food lived up to his tv shows.Special Features:
- DisappointingDebDebDined on 10/10/2014i'm so sorry to say that i was truly disappointed in my experience. my mom and i had been looking forward to this night (we flew from california) her first visit to NYC and she LOVES bobby flay. i had dined here last year with my husband and had a good experience, this was different. though i had reservations weeks in advance we were seated at a cashiers station near the bar. i asked to have a window seat i was told it was not available. my chair was bumped several times, the LOUD clatter of silverware being replenished was awful and my waitress BANGING her elbow in my head was over the top :(. we are going to GATO tonight and hope hope hope it's better. though we got dessert complimentary it was still a disappointment.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuisa555Dined on 10/10/2014Just wasn't what I hoped for. The food was average. The space was so large we were seated upstairs under a vent it was freezing. I didn't even feel like I was in New York. I could have been in the middle of Ohio. Should have known it's touristy.
- very good and consistentJJ22VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great for lunch. Consistently good food and excellent service. Not great if you are watching caloriesSpecial Features:
- Always a pleasureAnneSDVIPDined on 10/8/2014Every single thing about our visit to Bar Americain was perfect. When asking the waiter what was in a couple of dishes, he was able to rattle off every ingredient for me! My favorite salad is the Heartland Chopped Salad - the kale is tender, the added ingredients such as the walnuts and pomegranate seeds make this salad a standout. I tasted my friend's NY clam chowder, which has a touch of cream added, which turned the soup into something quite special. I had the ribeye and my friend has the hanger steak - both were prepared to a T! We shared the mushrooms and a side of spinach. I could not have asked for a better dinner.Special Features: