152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: (212) 265-9700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
704 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (398)special occasion (284)good for groups (210)hot spot (158)notable wine list (126)great for lunch (126)neighborhood gem (107)great for brunch (106)romantic (99)vibrant bar scene (94)late-night find (51)kid-friendly (28)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/18/2014I'm a huge fan of Bobby Flay, and will continue to be. However, during my first experience at this restaurant, with a client and my boss mind you, the service was, well, laughable. I don't want to waste too much energy, given how many great restaurants there are in NY, so I'll sum it up quickly. 1. Our main server acted as if he was put out when asked a question. For E.g. "would you mind bringing back our drinks you went to fill up, 20 minutes ago?" It became humorous when he couldn't make sense of what was going on, mind you we sat down at 11:45 am and were one of only five tables seated. That guys life is going to take forever if he was thrown off by finding our ice teas. 2. We waited, with our client, 47 minutes for the special, and two plates of shrimp and grits. After breaking through the cold, first layer, of grits I realized there were a few, minuscule shrimp involved. Honestly, I'm not going to keep on. It was a joke. Enjoy my 118.00 dollars Bar Americain, perhaps next time you'll track down our ice teas!
- Great Find!awildDined on 11/15/2014Recommended by our theater group for lunch, this place was a gem. Great on all points of menu selection, quality of food, service plus reasonable prices. It just doesn't get any better than this. I plan to return next month when I'm back in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Enjoyable in every aspect. Would suggest to come around and refill the coffee cups as the cups are not that large. Would definitely go to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Been here several times. Kitchen was off. Sent back steak because it was served very rare, rather than medium. Overall good. Nice ambiance. Casual dining. Pifeteroles were yummy..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing.mrstequilaDined on 11/14/2014Truly decadent. The warm blue cheese dip is incredible. It's tough to choose, so many delicious dishes but the shrimp and grits is my favorite dish. Great service and wonderful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JenniferDined on 11/13/2014I was in NYC for a convention and I was looking for a place to take my client. Found this place and it was great from getko when I made the reservation. I even had to push back to reservation because our train was late into the city, and they were very accommodating! Our server was very attentive and all of the bussers were great. Wine was fantastic and their seafood tower was HUGE! I couldn't believe how much seafood was on there. I ordered a filet, and it was phenomenal. My steak was cooked perfectly and the mashed potatoes were heaven! I would definitely recommend this place to others! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014I treated my husband to Bar Americain for his birthday. The food and the service was excellent! We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining experiance as always!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014We have been going to Bar Americain since it opened---and have brought many friends---it has become a special place for us to dine!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Rib EyeWeekendtravelerDined on 11/12/2014My husband and I arrived early for a post-matinee dinner, had a quick drink at the bar and were seated promptly at our table. BA caters to its diners, provides excellent service and obviously tries to separate tables as much as is possible. As for the food, the deviled eggs were a bit salty, spicy for my taste, but had a delicious flavor. The pizza app. was delicious. My husband, who has eaten steak across the country, rates the rib eye a 10, possibly the best he's ever eaten, and my chicken was moist and flavorful. My only disappointment was the asparagus whose flavor was completely overrun by the sauce. The s'mores dessert was absolutely fantastic! The staff stood on its ear to make sure our evening was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rjs46Dined on 11/11/2014The restaurant was a mixed bag. Way too loud for casual conversation and the tables were so close I heard everything that the people on either side of us were saying. We had some good and not so good food as well. On the negative side, the oysters were ridiculously small and the Miami Pork Chop was over cooked and like leather. On the positive side, my daughter had Filet Mignon which was fantastic and the Salmon appetizer was fantastic.
- CJKKDined on 11/11/2014GET THE CHICKEN POT PIE. FABULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hillerleeVIPDined on 11/10/20144th time here - ribeye less favorable (all 4 of us agreed). took sweet potato gratin off menu - why??? about done with Bar Americain. Way too crowded - waiters pushed our chairs all night to get to other tables.
- Excellent!PattiDined on 11/10/2014Everything, from the front-of-house staff to the service to the food, was outstanding! We've eaten here before, and it remains as good as always. While in NYC, we ate at Butter, another Iron Chef's place. No comparison. Bobby Flay rocks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Americain ExperienceCanuckinNYCDined on 11/9/2014all was very good from arrival to departuer. Reservation was correct hostess welcoming server appeared promptly and provided professional discreet service throughout. in Fact Hector was superb. He was unobtrusive and when needed his answers and explanations were perfect. Food was top notch. Rare fillet was perfect. Apps from the raw bar were really interesting and tasty. Wine list covered all tastes and all budgets very well.Special Features:
- Always GreatMelodyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Pumpkin Soup was unique & delicious. Everything else was great. Quiet enough to enjoy a terrific dinner with clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BFNYCbirthdayspecialDined on 11/9/2014Service is impeccable. Flavorful food with spices that are just righy. The best cosmo I 've ever hadcwith fresh juices, not mixes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Half of Menu Sold Out; Did Not Meet ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Our group of 7 went here for Sunday Brunch with 2:00 reservations (30 minutes prior to the last reservation time). We are all huge foodies and followers of Bobby Flay's empire - we were expecting nothing less than phenomenal food and service. I have been here before and had the best Shrimp and Grits of my life, so I recommended this dish to my fellow guests. Our server arrived to explain the menu and then informed us that they were out of Miss Stephanie's Biscuits and Gravy, as well as the Shrimp and Grits. For those of you that don't know, "Miss Stephanie" is Bobby Flay's wife, and her favorite dish he makes are his biscuits and gravy. I was so let down when I heard this particular dish was sold out… But it got worse. My friend, whom prefers sweet brunch versus savory, originally ordered the Croissant French Toast; however, the server returned ten minutes later to inform her that they also did not have those. Having the sweet tooth that she does, she resorted to the Waffles W/ Salted Caramel… but nope, they were out of that, too! The server never once offered to improvise and make her a sweet dish, and she reluctantly ordered the Eggs Benedict. To make matters worse, when her second Bellini was delivered, the server informed her that they had run out of blackberries - their advertised garnish. To be fair, the service was exceptional. I honestly felt bad that she had to be the bearer of bad news every time the kitchen told her they were out of something. I will not be returning to this restaurant, and if asked, I would never recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Four tried four main courses. All were excellent!! The beignets are dynamite!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice restaurantSashaDDined on 11/9/2014Did the Sunday brunch. the food was very good and the restaurant was clean and pretty. Nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay does it again!4foodiesDined on 11/8/2014Our evening at Bar Americain was spectacular. From the cocktails at the bar (Kudos to the bartender for the best Cosmo in NYC), to our dining experience, everything was top notch. We explained that one of our guests has an allergy to red wine. The server met with the chef and gave assurances that none of her dishes would have red wine, even ensuring that the wait staff all knew. This was done in a very subtle way as not to embarrass our guest. All of the entrees were spectacular (my favorite is the Snapper Florida) and the sides were delicious. Make it a must stop on your trip to NYC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that many gluten free optionsMaryDined on 11/8/2014Dessert choices for gluten free were limited. The meal itself was excellent and our wait staff moved our table so that we were not sitting next to the kitchen. Enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelingwithKathleenDined on 11/8/2014As always food and service outstanding. A must when in NY. Steaks with Bar Americain Steak Sauce one of the best I have had. Fried Chicken is like no where else. Served with some of the best collard greens.Special Features:
- Yummy!DinerInDisguiseDined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Bar Americain very much. The Trio Shellfish app was very tasty. I especially liked the crab selection. We split the Snapper Florida Style was more than enough with a side dish of the Califower gratin for the two of us. Wine selection was simple but well thought out of what types of wines from the regions. Our tables were very close to others on both sides but that made for fun conversation with the other diners. You certainly could not go there for a private conversation. That said it was happening vibrant dining room. I would definately return and recommend Bar Americain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I ever hadsecondspleaseDined on 11/8/2014Food is phenomenal. Service is exceptional - staff is pleasant and attentive without being oppressive or feeling pushy. Absolutely perfect dining experience. This is my new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and great service.DeekayDined on 11/7/2014Great food and service. I will definitely return. All the seafood dishes are very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but too pricy.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Everything we ate was very good, some things close to excellent. However, the value, given the high prices, was just moderate.Special Features:
- A cold evening at Bar AmericainAlbertDined on 11/6/2014Generally disappointed by Bar Americain given the exalted reputation of Bobby Flay. Apart from average food that was overly salty, the restaurant was unreasonably air conditioned in early November. It created an unpleasant and uncomfortable meal that was hard to relax and enjoy. I would say that the best thing in my meal was the deviled eggs but I've had better. Fried chicken was good but not amazing. Brussell Sprouts were good. Kale side dish with black eyed peas inedible it was so salty. That being said, it was an easy place to go for dinner after theatre and a bright energetic atmosphere.Special Features:
- PapaGemVIPDined on 11/6/2014The food was outstanding, but the service was VERY slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Beginning of our weekend in NYCKAKMDDined on 11/6/2014I found the restaurant by following the Food Scene and specifically Bobby Flay. Dinner was to be post theater but as my flight was delayed the Play was missed. The restaurant staff was very accommodating. The wait staff were wonderful and our waiter enjoyable. Very helpful with the menu. The food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed being able to choose and share sides. We returned to our hotel very "satisfied".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American FlayIncredibleVIPDined on 11/6/2014The welcome was warm, the room mute yet charming and elegant. The service was the best quality of the entire evening. It's Flay best American comfort food establishment to date. I just wish that the seasoning on the food was not salty or high in sodium. I kept drinking lots of water during my dinner. All in all I will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced tourist trapNunulewVIPDined on 11/6/2014Ambience is rushed and impersonal , food is good but not worth the price.
- Great for a grouplmch1313Dined on 11/6/2014This was wonderful for a recent business dinner. The food was wonderful; Service was very good - and the accommodations for the group of 11 that we had were very comfortable, which can be difficult in many NYC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014I would HIGHLY recommend the Tuna Tartare! It was fantastic.Special Features:
- Pre-BroadwayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2014My favorite place to bring visitors before a Broadway show. Great service, good food, and the location is perfect.Special Features:
- Took Our daughtercuttremoDined on 11/5/2014Out for a show and dinner , took our daughter , ordered the special wonderful ... no room for desert but a nice Latte and the bar tender was terrific, I was really tired and he made me a expresso Martini , perfectSpecial Features:
- Tasty and trustedRickVIPDined on 11/5/2014Excellent experience especially the shrimp/grits staple. Daily specials a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spot in midtownEmg7855VIPDined on 11/5/2014Returned to dine at Bar Aericain after a long layoff and was reminded what a good spot this is for lunch. Food and service were very good, big island tacos and the Cobb salad are excellent choices. Only downside is the closeness of the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite of ours!BadgerSteveVIPDined on 11/4/2014With thousands of restaurants in Manhattan and few opportunities for us to visit, we rarely like to go to any place we've been already. Bar Americain is the exception. We love the food, the choices, the service and the bar options. For us, Bar Americain is the ideal restaurant. You can't go wrong, no matter what you choose on the menu. Everything is scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved serviceJakeVIPDined on 11/4/2014Service has been much improved over my last experience. The food continues to be outstanding!Special Features:
- Still SpecialGblsnlVIPDined on 11/3/2014My wife ran the New York City Marathon. We wanted to go and celebrate at Bar American. The last time we had been was five years ago.The service was great and the food was still spot on. Don't miss this place when you visit New York CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.