152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: 2122659700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
676 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (376)special occasion (293)good for groups (184)notable wine list (130)hot spot (121)romantic (115)great for lunch (113)neighborhood gem (102)great for brunch (87)vibrant bar scene (81)late-night find (41)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Paying a lot for the name....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our first time at Bar Americain was this weekend, but we won't be going back. Whilst most the food was good, with the exception of the steak special which was average at best, we have never felt so rushed at a restaurant. We were seated, ordered, had our appetizers and had our main course... all in less than 40 minutes! Our main meal arrived only a few minutes after we finished our appetizers, and neither of us were ready. Over-expensive fast food experience....
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We were greeted affably and escorted to our table. Service was excellent - she was always there without being intrusive. Food, all courses, was fantastic.Special Features:
- Below average foodAlonVIPDined on 10/17/2014Amazing room at a great midtown location, unfortunately the food is awful. The tuna tartar was ice cold and tasteless, and the fish over over cooked. At these extremely high prices, one should get much better. I have been eating at this place for many years and every time it gets worse. At this point in time it is a tourist trap. Be warned. Decent service.Special Features:
- Cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014Unfortunately, my wife's dish was delivered cold, although the plate was very hot. We sent it back and it came back cold a second time. Disappointing.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We selected Bar Americain based solely on a facebook recommendation and were not disappointed. The food was outstanding as was the ambiance.Special Features:
- business dinner or tourist spotrkr727VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was ok, my grits must have had five tablespoons of butter in it, but it was tasty. Grouper was good, albeit much too much going on with the ingredients. Cavernous space that houses many diners, most of them here to either expense it or see a show.Special Features:
- food4meOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Food was delicious. However, the noise level made it difficult to have conversation.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/16/2014Had lunch with a colleague Thursday. Delicious food--she had shrimp with grits, I had a spicy tuna tartare. We had a great waiter who kept track of the time for us, as my lunch mate had a plane to catch. He offered us a plate of cookie with our coffee...I don't know where they get their cookies...unbelievably good! Overall amazing experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerHandbgqnDined on 10/15/2014Looked for restaurant for pre-theatre dinner. Bar Americain worked perfectly. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. Overall dinner was delicious and had excellent service. Tables not too close together to be annoying. Will definitely make a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent mealLovetoeatgoodfoodDined on 10/15/2014Great lunch with great service! Had lunch before matinee for special occasion and totally enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were hoping for.luc1Dined on 10/13/2014Celebrating our Anniversary, we decided to have a gourmet dinner. This restaurant is all about it, quality of food, taste and service. Don't hope for a romantic or a glamorous venue here: everything is just about making excellent one's culinary experience. Fantastic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/13/2014Bar Americain is outstanding in every way. Every person working in this wonderful restaurant has their job down pat, and they show enthusiasm for it. Everything is top notch here. We had lunch here on our last day of vacation in NYC. It was the perfect ending to our trip. My husband started with the french onion soup. That was superb. Very rich broth and great crouton with cheese. He also had the burger with bleu cheese and fries. That was a huge, delicious burger. The bleu cheese made it very rich, so he only ate about half, but thoroughly enjoyed it. (I enjoyed the bite of it that he gave me!) I had the Southwest Cobb salad and it was great. We shared the angel food cake with blackberry sauce and mint tea for both of us. YUM!Special Features:
- GreatNailTech20Dined on 10/12/2014Fantastic dinner and a place that you wouldn't expect to be kid friendly, but they accommodated my daughter by making her a meal with out all the marinades and sides. Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014Had a great experience here. Food was wonderful and service was fabulous. Great atmosphere. Would come back.Special Features:
- Good meal cold platesRibitDined on 10/12/2014Food was great. My issue is with presentation and delivery. Food was not hot enough and the fact that plates were not warmed up compounds the problem. From such a reputable restaurant that is surprising. Because 3 out of 4 plates came out at the same time and we were waiting for the 4th one this is a noticeable problem. The Cappuccino was luke warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan FriendlyZoepie2Dined on 10/12/2014I am a vegan and was able to eat at Bar Americain simply because the staff and the kitchen were so accommodating. I really was worried that there would be nothing for me to eat. Our waitress even pointed out to me which breads were vegan and which were not. I hope as more people begin to choose this lifestyle, there will be even more choices for vegans on the menu.Special Features:
- Nice New York ExperienceNYExperienceDined on 10/11/2014This was me and my boyfriend's first visit to NY, and Bar American meet all of our expectations. The food was amazing and it was also very close to the theater. The atmosphere was very inviting and we had a very nice dinner on our last night in New York.Special Features:
- Great Food AgainGR23Dined on 10/11/2014We have eaten here several times and still love to come back or bring guests to experience the seasonal changes of this tasty upscale American menu. The appetizers are exceptional, especially the seafood, because they are bright and fresh. We still love the steaks for our entree although the other choices are delightful as well. We tried several desserts, my favorites were the gingerbread souffle and pumpkin bread pudding. They both tasted like fall with the cool afternoons and evenings. The service is always top notch even though it is a very busy restaurant. Don't miss this restaurant if you need a pre- or post-theater meal.Special Features:
- Bring your appetiteBigmrciaDined on 10/11/2014This place is primarily a raw bar and steak house. Not fit for vegetarians. Lucky for me, I love meat. My steak had great flavor, but was doused in pepper in some spots, and a little tough for the price. The vidalia onion soup, a la carte sides, and desserts were magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014really surprised by the attentive and friendly service especially on a Friday night of a three day weekend. The shrimp and grits were a novel way of serving a southern dish. My only complaint was it was a bit noisy
- Bar américain disappointingTerryDined on 10/10/2014I really looked forward to visiting a Bobby Flay restaurant as I enjoy his shows and cookbooks. Liked the atmosphere. Ordered a $42 rare steak with mushrooms. The steak was medium rare and the toughest steak I can remember having in a restaurant-had to saw it with the serrated knife. The man at the table next to me was having the same problem-he actually asked for a sharper knife so he could cut his meat. The cheesecake was not special. I could see going back for lunch, and now I can say I went to one of his restaurants. Wish the food lived up to his tv shows.Special Features:
- DisappointingDebDebDined on 10/10/2014i'm so sorry to say that i was truly disappointed in my experience. my mom and i had been looking forward to this night (we flew from california) her first visit to NYC and she LOVES bobby flay. i had dined here last year with my husband and had a good experience, this was different. though i had reservations weeks in advance we were seated at a cashiers station near the bar. i asked to have a window seat i was told it was not available. my chair was bumped several times, the LOUD clatter of silverware being replenished was awful and my waitress BANGING her elbow in my head was over the top :(. we are going to GATO tonight and hope hope hope it's better. though we got dessert complimentary it was still a disappointment.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuisa555Dined on 10/10/2014Just wasn't what I hoped for. The food was average. The space was so large we were seated upstairs under a vent it was freezing. I didn't even feel like I was in New York. I could have been in the middle of Ohio. Should have known it's touristy.
- very good and consistentJJ22VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great for lunch. Consistently good food and excellent service. Not great if you are watching caloriesSpecial Features:
- Always a pleasureAnneSDVIPDined on 10/8/2014Every single thing about our visit to Bar Americain was perfect. When asking the waiter what was in a couple of dishes, he was able to rattle off every ingredient for me! My favorite salad is the Heartland Chopped Salad - the kale is tender, the added ingredients such as the walnuts and pomegranate seeds make this salad a standout. I tasted my friend's NY clam chowder, which has a touch of cream added, which turned the soup into something quite special. I had the ribeye and my friend has the hanger steak - both were prepared to a T! We shared the mushrooms and a side of spinach. I could not have asked for a better dinner.Special Features:
- Mike's ReviewLovenycDined on 10/7/2014Excellent choice for dinner. Bobby Flay never disappoints. Staff could not have been nicer. Seafood was fresh and delicious. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GramsopinionatedreviewDined on 10/6/2014Staff very welcoming and pleasant--- food good-- but in most cases,portions are too small( even for lunch). Attractive raw bar but far from tables All in all- glad we tried-- but not agaiSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Dining!DigifoodDined on 10/6/2014Excellent food and service! Delicious rich food and prices were good for the level of food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Nice atmosphere. Service was attentive and helpful. The menu is innovative and the food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Concert DiningKatheeDined on 10/5/2014Interesting American cuisine, food well prepared and tastefully presented, polite and attentive service, right near Carnegie Hall so great for a pre-concert dinner. I brought a friend from Vienna so that she could sample American cuisine -- she loved it!Special Features:
- fantastic!foodsnobDined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch. Food was outstanding, the service was excellent. The only thing missing was Bobby Flay himself!Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014After this experience I don't believe Bobby Flay wins everytime (beat bobby Flay) . The food was not good as it was expected, it could be alot better. personly I had better food in other places. Next time I vist New York I make my Reservation at McDonald's, it may be better.Special Features:
- Fabulous place.zeus50VIPDined on 10/4/2014I have eaten here many times and it never disappoints! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best After-Broadway DinnerDMC701Dined on 10/4/2014My family and I had a wonderful steak dinner, starting with soup, and ended with even better dessert. Everything Bobby Flay does is just genius. This is a great dinner for after a Broadway show since it's right on 52nd, but it's also great for an occasion (as its a little pricey) or just a great steak dinner on a Saturday night. The service was impeccable, and the restaurant is beautiful. We keep coming back and back, and are always just as impressed as the last time. Try the peach pie - yum!Special Features:
- Just OK.......OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014My wife, 16 year old daugter and I were there prior to a show. The service was excellent, but the food was just average. The corn bread had a strange taste, maybe onion (how do you mes up corn bread?) Wife and daughter had a seafood sampler which they enjoyed. I had Clam Chowder which I though was oddly spiced and did not like, however the Okra was a nice touch. 2 of us had steaks which were good. The other entry was the fried chicken which was good, but small. Greens that came with chicken were not good. Sides of mashed pots and mushrooms were both very good. The mushrooms were my favorite item of the night. We did not have dessert. The food as described and 2 drinks came to $225 pre tip. I must say I expected more from Bobby Flay!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014very nice ambiance, went for brunch would like to try for dinner - do not be shocked by price - it is expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Great food, great service! Second time there, first for brunch and we'll go back!Special Features:
- Typical New YorkWatsonDined on 10/4/2014Pleasant but not outstanding. Food was good but have had better food in small country inns in New England and less expensive.Special Features:
- Bignets were yummyEEGGDined on 10/4/2014Great meal, as expected. Started with the fresh made bignets served with a variety of jams, very yummy. Cocktails were well made. Brunch offered several good choices. I had the Preakness Benedict, eggs with hollandaise over crab cakes. Crab cakes were a little salty (but I'm a no salt kind of person). Otherwise it was a very good dish. My dining companions had the sweet potato crust pot pie & the croissant french toast. Both were pleased with their meal. Finished by sharing an espresso, cocoa nib creme brulee, a nice treat. We were all pleasantly stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014I had the rabbit which was dry and cold. But the Tuna appetizer was very nice; at least, the cut itself was superb. The service was good but not flawless. This is not an especially expensive place and I may give it a second shot. But maybe not.Special Features: