152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: 2122659700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
702 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (387)special occasion (311)good for groups (182)romantic (137)notable wine list (128)great for lunch (128)hot spot (127)great for brunch (105)neighborhood gem (105)vibrant bar scene (80)late-night find (46)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I went with three other people, all foodies. We all agreed that the service, food and atmosphere was outstanding. We will all be back again!Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!tinabDined on 9/15/2014A must go... Definitely have the warm potato chips dipped in blue cheese sauce! My husband and I enjoyed the vibe, low lights and warm atmosphere. He had the fried chicken and the peach tart for desert. We will be back next time we're in NYC, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and servicePJMMDined on 9/15/2014Our group of 3 women was excited to try Bobby Flay's hyped restaurant. We were disappointed from start to finish. Service was slow; did they assume we would be poor tippers? Well, due to to their poor service and disappointing food that expectation came true. My poke and oysters were good but nothing special. One of the diners ordered the pizza and found it very greasy; the explanation was that it was due to the bacon...really? He offered to replace it with the chicken which was delivered relatively quickly and was quite good. However we thought they could have offered something to make up for the disappointing pizza or at least made some adjustment on the bill. The pistachio profiteroles dessert was the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- excellent food, good serviceJus2ofusDined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent meal with good service. The ambience does not match the reputation or website but everything else was very goodSpecial Features:
- MehKeepitrealDined on 9/14/2014Went before a broadway show. Appetizers and drinks were ok...tuna tartare was on point. Cornbread sticks were great. Bacon and onion pizza the bacon was a little chewy and oversized. Seafood trio was ok but nothing special. Entrees were underwhelming. Sister had the pork chop and it was drastically under seasoned (I guess that's why they have salt and pepper on the table???...not expecting that for a higher end place), I ordered the skate on the servers recommendation... It was fishy tasting. Mom ordered the duck and it was actually really good. We all ordered dessert. We were in a time crunch, but portions were oversized and we did not finish... Pistachio profiteroles were meh, choclate pie was ok and soufflé was decent. Save your $$Special Features:
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014We had Sunday brunch & the food was amazing. We went early & the restaurant was less then 25% full. However, our server was awful! It took him 15 minutes to take our drink order & he never asked how our meal was. When we were through we sat at the table for another 15 minutes before he just dropped off the dessert menu (not even asking if we wanted any) & he took off. We had to flag him down to get our check. He seemed either overwhelmed or pre-occupied with other things to be concerned about his tables. All in all the food was great & I would go back if someone else took care of us.Special Features:
- Great birthday eveningFlonabelleDined on 9/13/2014Took a friend for her birthday. She doesn't go to NYC very often. Had a great evening and a marvelous meal and informative, prompt service from our friendly, funny waiter. Ready to do it again. Thank you.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Appetizers were very good and generous. We were disappointed with the entrees however. The fried chicken was not crispy and the leg was under done. The shrimp were overcooked in the shrimp and grits, and the grits were runny. The dessert menu was mostly uninspired. While the peach pie was tasty, it needed more peaches. I expected more from Bobby Flay.
- Disappointed...TobbadeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Maybe it's me, but the last few times I was at Bar Americain, the menu seems tired and not very creative given Chef Flay's talents. I was entertaining friends from Texas and they were very complimentary, but I sensed that we all walked out of there with a "Meh..." sort of impression of the cuisine. I will say that the three women at the front desk were a joy to meet and interact with - professional and very helpful. That said, I'll wait until Chef redies the menu before returning.
- Very disappointingMessyDined on 9/12/2014The good was terrible. I was really looking forward to this meal and was very upset by how poor it was. To make it worse it was also expensive.
- Our first time hereSusieQVIPDined on 9/11/2014We decided to try Bar Americain based a the rave reviews on Open Table. However, our experience didn't quite measure up. My fish dinner was very good as was the tuna tartare appetizer my husband had. Unfortunately, his blackened prime rib, which was the Thursday night special, was extremely tough and chewy. My husband ate very little of it and should have sent it back. The service and the ambiance were fine but, for the price, the food disappointed. Not sure I will get him back to try again.
- Superior Restaurant and Great ValuemurphthesurfDined on 9/11/2014One of my personal favorites in midtown west. Bobby Flay menu, excellent room & table spacing, price very reasonable for quality & service. Always hits mark. For lunch - soup and cobb salad always works. Enjoy!Special Features:
- creative foodfoodieDined on 9/11/2014The ricotta crepes with asparagus were wonderful as was the creamed kale. My sister had the spice ribbed hangar steak and really liked that as well. The deep dish chocolate pie is pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatMax2014Dined on 9/10/2014Went Wednesday night for a business dinner with three guests. Beautiful place, nice service, excellent food. The noise level was low, thanks to the open spaces and high ceilings. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fully SatisfiedFantasticDined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant. The food was delicious and the staff was hospitality & attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014I have dined at Bar Americian several times and love it! I will say this time around the food was not as great as the past. My French Onion soup, which I have always said is the worlds best, was quite salty and the lobster I had was extremely tough. I was headed to a show so no time to send back but I was very surprised this time around. Will I be back? Absolutely! THe service is always wonderful and I am going to guess it was just a bad night.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014My husband and I spent the day in New York, and shared a lovely dinner together before heading home to PA. Our servers were very attentive, and the food was wonderful. Fortunately for me, the Wednesday special was steamed lobster and pom frites. My husband had the shrimp and grits along with collard greens and black-eyed peas. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch date with my wife.brewmonkeyDined on 9/10/2014We went there for lunch. I had the smoked chicken pot pie and my wife had the shrimp grits. Both were very tasty, but the amount of black pepper used on both was almost overwhelming.Special Features:
- Killer DessertMeowzerDined on 9/9/2014Food and service were excellent. The star, however, was the Pistachio Profiteroles for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Flay at His Bestbilly44byDined on 9/7/2014WOW. I think that says it all.Have a great time when you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC dinerTaliakay77Dined on 9/6/2014Good food and good service. Can't go wrong. Wait time for food is short. Awesome espresso creme brûlée dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Wonderful in every way! Very interesting menu. Every entree was delicious. Combinations of ingredients that were surprising and unique. We can't wait to return!!!!Special Features:
- Staff is awesome,friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014The staff was wonderful. The bartender was awesome. Food was great and the bourbon selection was out standing. My wife found a wine she likes and that is truly rare.Special Features:
- Happy BirthdayoystermanDined on 9/6/2014I chose Bar American because my wife is a big Bobby Flay fan. She watches his shows all of the time. We were absolutely delighted with the outstanding food and the service. Out waiter Mark was great anticipating every thing and always there at the right tome. We did not feel rushed as if they wanted more turnover than satisfied customers. For my wife she was extremely happy to celebrate her birthday and was all smiles all night.Special Features:
- Great overall, fried chicken bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Loved everything, but the fried chicken was amaaaaaazing! Served with the best greens EVER! Great service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ShannonphotogalDined on 9/5/2014Everything we are was delicious - well seasoned, excellent flavors. My mouth still waters thinking about the deviled eggs with pickled shrimp and my shrimp and grits with the creamiest grits I've ever had! My husband's duck confit was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bar americanRarelyReviewDined on 9/5/2014Amazing food. We loved everything, starting with a Bourbon Smash all the way to the Pistachio Profiterol. We went before the theater and were out in plenty of time. We'll be back.Special Features:
- BH39Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food. Good service. Very considerate of our timing (pre-theater).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac10Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding in every way! The food was exceptional. The cocktails were wonderful. The wait staff was friendly, courteous and attentive. Thank you for a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Noise LevelOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014You need another option in this area - Can't hear each other.... Wasn't good for a business meeting but food is outrageous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014good quality food. should offer a side with any order, none are supplied. would have been a better 'meal' than just a meat on plate or a fish dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCurmudgeonlyDinerDined on 9/4/2014I have been to Bar Americain for periodic business lunches over the years but hadn't been there for a couple of years. The food really came up short. I had an asparagus salad that seemed to be hastily thrown together as though made at a salad bar. My fish tacos were poorly presented and while reasonably good tasting, did not justify their $24 or so price. Presentation was again a real minus as was the dearth (2) of small soft tortillas. There are many good options for a business lunch in the neighbor. I won't be returning to Bar Americain.
- NoisymslamtDined on 9/3/2014If your hearing suffers from background noise, stay away from here. Patrons are seated close together. Meal and service were fine.
- Amazing! One of my NYC favsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Delicious, inventive food/menu; hi-energy ambiance; attentive, helpful service. Views of open kitchen & street level bustle add to unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CassandraDined on 9/2/2014Service was annoyingly chipper and intrusive and there were too many requests for feedback on the food. We were there for conversation, not to applaud the restaurant. Entrée was cold, so spinach was slimy. Fish was too pink. German chocolate cake was not. Would not return, just not a compelling dining experience, and would not recommend as anything particularly delicious or memorable, just a corporate dining room.
- Suprisingly badTessDined on 9/2/2014I have been to this place many times, but this is the first time the main course was practically inedible. it was a friend's birthday, so i did not want to make a scene, so just picked around the chicken (practically raw) and ate the fries.
- Out of Food ItemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014My husband and I were traveling to NY for the first time and my only must have was a visit to a Bobby Flay restaurant. We got right in with no waiting, the restaurant was kind of empty. We sat down, ordered drinks and had already reviewed and selected from the menu. I was so excited to see Shrimp&Grits on the menu and my husband selected Snapper. So it was extremely disappointing when the waitress came over for our order only to tell us they were out of both. I ended up with only soup which was just okay. The only item we had that was very good was the appetizer or deviled eggs. The waitress also was a little rude and never offered us a second drink. All and all a very unpleasant experience which left me still hungry.
- YawnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2014nothing special, nothing exciting, just another restaurant. will not be returning as we visited because of Flay's reputation, but it was underwhelming, unimpressive and simply a yawn-like food experience.
- Great meal!!MudluvsfoodDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I totally enjoyed our dinner from appetizer to desert!! Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted wonderful. This is our 4th trip to Bar Americain and we will be backSpecial Features:
- Very good but pricyKatyehDined on 8/31/2014Bar Americain is very expensive. We knew this going in and, first trip to New York, we decided, let's do it! Bobby Flay and all! Truth be told, there are lots of extremely good restaurants in Times Square and Hell's Kitchen that are far less expensive. We enjoyed finding them. Having said that, the food at Bar Americain is extraordinary! The blue cheese dip appy is to die for! I hope Chef Flay has published this one at some point. I will look for it. The onion soup is the best I've ever had. The broth was thick and rich. Yumm! I had the bison tenderloin, amazing. Our party of 6 all raved about their dinners. The service was impectable. Just very expensive.Special Features: