152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: 2122659700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
697 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (381)special occasion (300)good for groups (187)hot spot (129)notable wine list (128)romantic (125)great for lunch (122)neighborhood gem (108)great for brunch (99)vibrant bar scene (85)late-night find (47)kid-friendly (31)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Delicious and theater centricOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014A very delicious find especially for brunch after Mass at St Patricks and before catching a Sunday matinee. A perfect spot near 5th and the theaters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014It's not the place for kids but they are very accommodating for our special occasion. Food was very good too!Special Features:
- Bobby FlayOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food and atmosphere good. But was disappointed because it wasn't a Bobby Flay Great. Was expecting more.Special Features:
- great foodtheatergoerDined on 9/27/2014nice variety of menu items, expertly prepared and attentively served.Special Features:
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014I was in NY for the weekend and had lunch there. I had the salmon and sweet potato hash - wonderful. And I always have to have those potato chips.Special Features:
- Pleasant Experience, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014This was a dining experience to remember...great service, great food...the whole package. I was particularly surprised how the server was able to pair my single malt scotch with a dish that would complement it perfectly. Two thumbs up.Special Features:
- Can Say We've Been.LeftyMHVIPDined on 9/25/2014Kentucky Hot Brown was dry and rather tasteless, mussels were small and chewy, and onion soup had a strange flavor dissimilar to any onion soup I've ever had.Special Features:
- Good but portions seemed smaller.CathyMVIPDined on 9/23/2014Portion sizes seemed smaller. My favorite, the BBQ chips, seemed smaller and different. Dark and Stormy drink seemed different. Still recommend it and will return.Special Features:
- Not up to the hypeamateurfoodieDined on 9/23/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant and really liked the atmosphere. The food choices were excellent, but my choices did not taste as good as they sounded. The poached egg on the salad was over cooked and 1/3 of the mussels in my entree were closed and uneatable. The bread to start was nothing special. French fries were fantastic! I just expected the food to stand out and it disappointed. Excellent vibe in the restaurant as well a superb service. However, with all the choices in NYC, I would not go back.Special Features:
- Try the fried chicken!AdrianDined on 9/20/2014Great restaurant with a cool atmosphere. The fried chicken is unreal.Special Features:
- One of the best meals of our lives!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We got the tuna tartar and pizza to start which were amazing then my wife and I shared the duck and Saturday New York steak special. Both were something we savored which each bite. We finished with the creme brûlée. Overall it was the best meal of our lives. We will got back when we are in New York again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceFreemDined on 9/20/2014Three of us went for apps and martinis one evening, had a wonderful time! Our bartender (David) was a great mixologist and had great suggestions for appetizers! Came back a couple of nights later for dinner with another group, David remembered us mixed some more great drinks. Our dinner was fabulous! Would highly recommend this restaurant! Next time I'm in New York I'll be back!Special Features:
- DisappointingluvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014After dining at Bar Americain multiple times, Mesa Grill - Bahamas & Bar Americain - Mohegan Sun, this NY city experience was terribly disappointing. A Chef as good as Chef Flay causes his diners to have high expectations, this seemed like a tourist place for those not in the know about good food. We were seated in a room upstairs that appears as an overflow room - certainly not the vibrancy of the downstairs dining room. The chips were soggy and few for a table of 4, had to order more and was charged an additional $3.00 - the blue cheese dip was nothing special. My salmon crudo was warm and poorly presented. It appeared that most of the dishes were pre-prepared like the lobster appetizer that lacked that "Flay" flair. Will not return.
- PERFECT PRE-THEATER SPOTWineanddineDined on 9/20/2014This is a great spot for pre-theater dining. The food was very good. Hot, fresh and as expected from Bobby Flay. The service was exceptional. Friendly, down to earth and genuine. The entire staff was alert and paid attention to timing of the dining experience in relation to the show you were attending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHDLDined on 9/20/2014Great place to take out-of-towners... great service, great food. Moderate prices. Will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Food was greatmarcDDined on 9/19/2014Food was great, price was expected for NYC, however, portions were embarrassingly smallSpecial Features:
- Good but didnt wowjezzaDined on 9/19/2014Came here with my wife, we 've been wanting to try this place for a while. We had the crab and avocado salad to start and found it way too salty. I like strong flavors but this was too heavy handed with the salt. We had the shrimp with grits and the rabbit for our main. The rabbit was excellent, very nicely cooked with good contrasting and balance of flavors. The shrimp and grits was ok - have had better. A little bland and it was a very small portion - almost appetizer. Service was good and the atmosphere was lively. Overall a little mix, was expecting better from a Bobby Flay place
- Very good!!ShortyDined on 9/19/2014The food was really good and the service too, nice place with friendly people. Definetly I recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGmichael49Dined on 9/19/2014Food ok wine list pricey. Escargots exc. steal just ok as fried chickenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern Food in Manhattan!TallahasseeLassieDined on 9/19/2014It was great to see/eat great southern dishes with a Manhattan twist. I had shrimp and grits and while it was not as good as what you can get in Charleston or New Orleans, it was very good. The grits were cooked perfectly but I wish the shrimp had been a tad plumper. My hubby had the snapper Florida style with blackeyed peas and collard greens. I thought he was going to lick his plate! And the blackeyed peas and collards could compete with seasoned southern cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knows what he's doingevelynVIPDined on 9/19/2014We've been there twice so far and love about every dish. My husband said his Manhattan clam chowder (which he usually doesn't like) was delicious. I felt the same about an asparagus salad that was full of interesting flavors. I have had the fish and sashimi there and been very happy; nothing ordinary here.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Food was terrific, atmosphere and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food + serviceDisappointingDined on 9/18/2014Wanted to celebrate with my nephew and get a really good dining experience. I had had the lamb before and it was excellent. Well, the second time the lamb was very "gamey" tasting and not very good. When I told the server, he said he would pass it along to the chef and did not offer to do anything different. I only ate a portion of it and he never came around after it was served to check on us. Very disappointing especially after the tremendous experience the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehtravisawDined on 9/18/2014The place was really nice. But the food wasn't a home run in my opinion. Since the proprietor of the restaurant is a food network icon I would expect everything to be fantastic. The food was good, but not great. Maybe somewhat bland... For the price, I've had better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I went with three other people, all foodies. We all agreed that the service, food and atmosphere was outstanding. We will all be back again!Special Features:
- BobbyScorpianVIPDined on 9/18/2014What more can I say....dinner & drinks were GREAT! First time dining in a Flay restaurant and we couldn't have made a better choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was hoping for more.FoodloverDined on 9/17/2014I love Bobby Flay's approach to food as seen in his cookbooks and on shows like Iron Chef. On the other hand, I am NOT a down-home bbq fan, which is what they are playing up on tv now. I do like colorful plates, spice and some heat. At this point, maybe 2 weeks later, I can't even remember what I had. It just wasn't a memorable dinner. Not bad and some quite good. But, he would have to compete with Eleven Madison Ave. for me to remember the dinner. And maybe that isn't his goal with this restaurant. I tried but could not get reservations for his other N.Y. Restaurant. This seemed like a nice restaurant with an absentee owner. Not bad, just not Bobby Flay.Special Features:
- Absolutely Delicious!tinabDined on 9/15/2014A must go... Definitely have the warm potato chips dipped in blue cheese sauce! My husband and I enjoyed the vibe, low lights and warm atmosphere. He had the fried chicken and the peach tart for desert. We will be back next time we're in NYC, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and servicePJMMDined on 9/15/2014Our group of 3 women was excited to try Bobby Flay's hyped restaurant. We were disappointed from start to finish. Service was slow; did they assume we would be poor tippers? Well, due to to their poor service and disappointing food that expectation came true. My poke and oysters were good but nothing special. One of the diners ordered the pizza and found it very greasy; the explanation was that it was due to the bacon...really? He offered to replace it with the chicken which was delivered relatively quickly and was quite good. However we thought they could have offered something to make up for the disappointing pizza or at least made some adjustment on the bill. The pistachio profiteroles dessert was the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- excellent food, good serviceJus2ofusDined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent meal with good service. The ambience does not match the reputation or website but everything else was very goodSpecial Features:
- MehKeepitrealDined on 9/14/2014Went before a broadway show. Appetizers and drinks were ok...tuna tartare was on point. Cornbread sticks were great. Bacon and onion pizza the bacon was a little chewy and oversized. Seafood trio was ok but nothing special. Entrees were underwhelming. Sister had the pork chop and it was drastically under seasoned (I guess that's why they have salt and pepper on the table???...not expecting that for a higher end place), I ordered the skate on the servers recommendation... It was fishy tasting. Mom ordered the duck and it was actually really good. We all ordered dessert. We were in a time crunch, but portions were oversized and we did not finish... Pistachio profiteroles were meh, choclate pie was ok and soufflé was decent. Save your $$Special Features:
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014We had Sunday brunch & the food was amazing. We went early & the restaurant was less then 25% full. However, our server was awful! It took him 15 minutes to take our drink order & he never asked how our meal was. When we were through we sat at the table for another 15 minutes before he just dropped off the dessert menu (not even asking if we wanted any) & he took off. We had to flag him down to get our check. He seemed either overwhelmed or pre-occupied with other things to be concerned about his tables. All in all the food was great & I would go back if someone else took care of us.Special Features:
- Great birthday eveningFlonabelleDined on 9/13/2014Took a friend for her birthday. She doesn't go to NYC very often. Had a great evening and a marvelous meal and informative, prompt service from our friendly, funny waiter. Ready to do it again. Thank you.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Appetizers were very good and generous. We were disappointed with the entrees however. The fried chicken was not crispy and the leg was under done. The shrimp were overcooked in the shrimp and grits, and the grits were runny. The dessert menu was mostly uninspired. While the peach pie was tasty, it needed more peaches. I expected more from Bobby Flay.
- Disappointed...TobbadeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Maybe it's me, but the last few times I was at Bar Americain, the menu seems tired and not very creative given Chef Flay's talents. I was entertaining friends from Texas and they were very complimentary, but I sensed that we all walked out of there with a "Meh..." sort of impression of the cuisine. I will say that the three women at the front desk were a joy to meet and interact with - professional and very helpful. That said, I'll wait until Chef redies the menu before returning.
- Very disappointingMessyDined on 9/12/2014The good was terrible. I was really looking forward to this meal and was very upset by how poor it was. To make it worse it was also expensive.
- Our first time hereSusieQVIPDined on 9/11/2014We decided to try Bar Americain based a the rave reviews on Open Table. However, our experience didn't quite measure up. My fish dinner was very good as was the tuna tartare appetizer my husband had. Unfortunately, his blackened prime rib, which was the Thursday night special, was extremely tough and chewy. My husband ate very little of it and should have sent it back. The service and the ambiance were fine but, for the price, the food disappointed. Not sure I will get him back to try again.
- Superior Restaurant and Great ValuemurphthesurfDined on 9/11/2014One of my personal favorites in midtown west. Bobby Flay menu, excellent room & table spacing, price very reasonable for quality & service. Always hits mark. For lunch - soup and cobb salad always works. Enjoy!Special Features:
- creative foodfoodieDined on 9/11/2014The ricotta crepes with asparagus were wonderful as was the creamed kale. My sister had the spice ribbed hangar steak and really liked that as well. The deep dish chocolate pie is pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatMax2014Dined on 9/10/2014Went Wednesday night for a business dinner with three guests. Beautiful place, nice service, excellent food. The noise level was low, thanks to the open spaces and high ceilings. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.