1300 Lagoon Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barabilene.com/
- Phone: 6128252525x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday Dinner 4pm to Midnight ,Bar open until 2am.
Friday Dinner 4:00pm to 12:00Pm DJ DANCING 10:00pm to 2am.
Saturday and Sunday: (Ala Carte Breakfast +lunch menu 10AM TO 3PM):Dinner 2pm to 2am on Saturday and 10pm on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Angel Campoverde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private party options
- Private Party Contact: David 612-825-2525x
- Entertainment: .
Thursdays SALSA Dancing with DJ MARCO 7pm to 2am ( free Salsa lessons from 7pm to 8pm).
Fridays and Saturdays Dancing with DJ top 40's 10pm to 2am.
8HD TVS AND A GIANT WALL SCREEN FOR SPORT GAMES.
- Special Events: Happy Hour
Monday thru Saturday 4pm to 7pm.
Monday thru Wednesday 9pm to Midnight.
Sunday 3pm to close.
Week End Brunch 10am to 3pm with $5 bottomless Mimosa and $5 Bloody Mary Bar.
A word from Bar Abilene
Located next to the Lagoon Cinemas in Uptown, Bar Abilene features a full dinner & appetizer menu, as well as more than 25 freshly-made margaritas, 100-plus tequilas & guacamole made tableside. Bar Abilene offers a modern, Western feel that is both warm and exciting. The "cowboy fusion" cuisine being presented at Bar Abilene is a natural extension of Southwestern cuisine.BarAbilene Features DJ and Dancing 10pm to close Thursdays thru Saturdays.Continued
We also have free Salsa Dancing lesson on THURSDAY FROM 7 TO 8PM and Salsa Dancing until 2am.
We also have free Salsa Dancing lesson on THURSDAY FROM 7 TO 8PM and Salsa Dancing until 2am.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Abilene reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Not for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014This place is typically a hot spot for 20 somethings but for dinner it was below average. The drink special was great for the labor day weekend--$5 for ANYTHING you wanted but the food was blah. There was a lot of spice added to the dishes and the service was awful. I would come to this place again because of the location, but not for the food.
- MORE than adequatexullyDined on 8/27/2014Our group decided to have dinner before a movie at the Lagoon. We found that at 6:00 pm on a week nite there is no rush, plenty of empty tables, and the service to the limited patrons was excellent. All members of our group found their food excellent and promptly served. This gave us the opportunity to have an extra beer. And then we left for the movie. Early dining is NOT what Bar Abilene touts itself as providing. So be it. But our group found excellent food, friendly and prompt service at an early dinner. Good to know that Bar Abilene is strong in an area of limited use.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, drink, and price varietyBudgetFoodieDined on 8/11/2014Lots of interesting cocktails, extensive tequila list (offer tequila flights) and other spirits. Plenty of interesting menu options. I liked that there was a wide price range from tapas and appetizers to full meals. Drink prices were pretty good too. Very friendly and helpful wait staff. My only complain was we happened to be there when they were doing some quiz thing and it was quite loud and annoying for those of us not doing the quiz, so make sure if you want a place to go and chat with friends, it's not on a night when they are doing the quiz thing (I think Mon. and Tues).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- larso323Dined on 7/23/2014It's nice to find a place that takes table reservations during happy hour, and actually seats you before your entire party is there. The food is delicious, the servers considerate, and the happy hour goes until 7pm. Worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014The service was awful Waitress unattentive Asked twice for an item- didn't get it either time Waitress apologized, said they were so busy, yet the restaurant wasn't even 1/4 full.
- Food was cold and service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014We have been to Bar Abilene a number of times, but this was the first time for dinner. The food was OK, but unfortunately cold. The 2 glasses of wine that my wife ordered were very small, maybe 3 oz, if that. The fajitas I got were not sizzling at all. The Guac was delicious and made at the table side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Must try the tableside guacamole, fantastic! Good service and nice decor. Cute place for date night.Special Features:
- Great vibes on the rooftopwinocoupleDined on 7/5/2014Rooftop cocktails with friends. Everyone had mixed feelings on the food. Our suburban friends expected haute gastropub and were disappointed at the mere 'pubness' of their burgers. It is what it is. The drinks were great. Baby Makers and Tavern Punch plus great beer selections. We had to demand waters for the table a few times and never got them; new server? water shortage? Perhaps we'll never know... A pleasant mix of people watching and rooftop drinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMaryDined on 7/3/2014The service was slow. Some things were forgotten. Had to ask again. Enjoyed the salsa lessons.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Good overall experience. Would go back without hesitationSpecial Features:
- Great food and beer offeringsLateNightDinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014We'd never been to Bar Abilene, but will certainly go back! It's nice to step off the busy Lake Street path. The food was fresh, the beer selection was stellar and the outdoor patio was perfect for the summer evening temps! Creative combinations and fun table-side guacamole preparation made for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexMex in UptownNsideFoodieDined on 6/10/2014Bar Abilene is a fun place to choose for a few beers and some table side guacamole. The guacamole is some of the best I've ever had and it is fun watching them make it fresh at your table. It is definitely the reason we came. The rest of the menu is run of the mill TexMex offerings, but acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchwierconnDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed our brunch & the Bloody Mary bar. It was a beautiful day, so we chose an outdoor table and were seated next to patrons who brought their energetic Rottweiler (nothing against the breed, but he was a big, big dog squeezed into a little, tiny area), busy young child and fussy baby to brunch, so that negatively impacted the ambiance. I'm a mom, so I "get it" -- it's challenging dining out with kiddos, but there were other tables available and the server didn't suggest options to those of us seated near the chaotic table. Seems to me that good servers are aware and deftly handle situations like that so all are happy. Oh well. It was "ok."Special Features:
- Fun AtmospherekennybDined on 6/7/2014Bar Abilene is an energetic place with great service and reasonably priced food. Menu/ drinks were varied and delivered good value to the customersSpecial Features:
- The following 240 reviews are from the Bar Abilene reviews archive.
- Good food and great service!HuskerAnnieDined on 5/31/2014This is our 2nd time to Bar Abilene and again it was good! I had the potato and rib Tapas and salad and it was delicious. The table size guacamole is fantastic too.Special Features:
- Lackluster at bestERolfDined on 5/17/2014This was our second trip to Bar Abilene. The food is fairly bland. They do have some good cocktails by they're inconsistently made. Tasting very different from drink tobdrink. The atmosphere is confusing. Part sports bar part western and part dance club.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/5/2014I've always liked Bar Abilene. The food is great. There have been times where I feel like the cocktails I ordered were incredibly weak, but that is not all that uncommon at a lot of places. REALLY sad the Sunday brunch is gone, we used to go at least once a month. But it is a fun place with good food and I've never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- Bar Abilene ReviewBillDined on 5/2/2014Good Food and Great Service and plenty of Televisions for watching SportsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experience!kbudDined on 4/25/2014Food was great awesome, highly recommend the table side guacamole. Vibrant hopping place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Averagehap620VIPDined on 4/24/2014The food and service were good but not great. Fun atmosphere, though.
- Bring back your brunchGribbsDined on 4/20/2014We were a little disappointed they did not have the usual brunch as they have in the past. Brunch was a la carte. Some good items; the eggs benedict was tasty and innovative with the pork. Yum. Omlettes were good, but overly peppery. Huevos Rancheros was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruined the nightSarahVIPDined on 4/12/2014I hope Bar Abilene starts training their staff. Our service was terrible. Server was clueless and needs to get the basics mastered. Too bad because the food was great, as usual.Special Features:
- Staff seemed inexperiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Staff seemed inexperienced but I give them an A for effort. Really liked the atmosphere, location and crowd. Biggest problem was the food was cold when it should have been hot. We could see the preparation area and did not observe any food sitting before going out to the table so I got the inclination that it was prepared ahead of time. My wife ordered the enchilada and they were nice and hot but they were served on a bed of cold rice. My burrito was also cold.
- Loved itSteveDined on 4/5/2014Food and craft beer selection were fantastic. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Not impressedRockyVIPDined on 4/4/2014Went on a Living Social deal discovering the reviews had been accurate. Appetizer came out before drinks, drink orders were wrong, things were forgotten and we were billed for drinks we didn't have. The place looked a bit run down. Needs a makeover
- Bar Food FastERolfDined on 3/27/2014Everything was great, but we showed up for an early dinner at 6pm and everything (except the drinks) came out of the kitchen way too fast. The Appetizer showed up before our drinks, the meal showed up before our appetizer was finished, and our drink refills showed up about the time the check arrived. Food was tasty, restaurant is VAST, but they had good specials and lots of specialty drinks and beers to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service and MgmtTeaganDined on 3/20/2014We had read the review saying how bad the service was, but we had purchased a "living social" before reading the reviews & tried the place anyways. All the complaints about poor service were true. The server was completely clueless on the rules/parameters for the "living social" - definately should have got mgmt from the get go. We could never find her for more beverages & when we did, after asking "can we get one more round of drinks on before hh ends please?" Her response was - "oh that ended 4 minutes ago - sorry". She was rude, mgmt was twice as rude, food was mediocre at best. When we said we wouldn't be back, the manager's response was "ok". We would NOT recommend this place & will tell others the same.
- Nice place, good food.ChipDined on 3/15/2014We were at Bar Abiline on March 15, two days before St. Patty's day, so there were a lot of people out for a drink. That said, it was a little loud, but the crowd seemed friendly. My wife and I enjoyed our food, as did our kids. If you are going to bring kids, I think you'd want to go early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldnt go back for the serviceDoerrVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food was pretty decent, but the service was atrocious. I would find it really tough to go back here knowing how many other places closeby would do a better job at similar pricing.Special Features:
- Great destination especiallySylviaDined on 2/27/2014We enjoyed our dinner and drinks at Bar Abilene! Great experience especially on a Thursday that you get to learn salsa dancing :)Special Features:
- bad servicemike78Dined on 2/14/2014For as empty as the restaurant was, the service was really slow and horrible. We would recommend dinner at this location. Disspointing valentine dinner!Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnermisssophDined on 2/14/2014I took my boy out for Valentine's dinner, and I got a reservation at Bar Abeline. I was expecting a crowd and chaos but the restaurant wasn't very busy at all. The Valentine's special was a good deal, and the food was great. Service was awesome and it wasn't expensive at all. Nothing too special but it wasn't bad at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Serviceluv2dineDined on 1/18/2014Bar Abilene provides good food and service. Their black bean dip was awesome. We are always able to get in without a wait. Maybe that is just our luck with timing. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Tex-Mex ChoiceMNWandererDined on 1/18/2014A group of four of us selected this restaurant on a whim. Our server, Matthew, could not have been nicer. He suggested the McGee Margarita, which was a hit with all of us because of its unique flavors and 'not too sweet' characteristic. My husband and I tried tacos and the other couple had a salad and wrap. The made-at-the-table guacamole was awesome - some of the best we have had. The salsa was tasty. This place will come to mind quickly when we are looking for Tex-Mex.Special Features:
- Great time!lulu44Dined on 1/12/2014We really enjoyed our brunch at Bar Abeline. The build your own Bloody Mary bar was great, as were the bottomless Mimosas. Our server, Katie was knowledgable about the menu and had some great recommendations. She was very attentive and friendly too. Would recommend this spot!!Special Features:
- ModerateLaurenDined on 12/31/2013My group and I went here for New Year's Eve. Our dinner and dinner service was delightful. It was after dinner when moving into the bar area that my opinion of this restaurant plummeted. Our server was incredibly hostile to us and verbally aggressive (with many profanities thrown our way). I would recommend this place for dinner but would maybe avoid it for late-night bar hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2013The service was beyond bad. No one checked to see how the food was, no drink refills, no plates cleared away and on top of all that the server was very rude. I will not return to this place.
- Had a good timeSuperchikDined on 11/27/2013Went to Bar Abilene for Trivia hosted by a local radio personality by boyfriend loves. We had a great time! He ordered the Cuban sandwich and I ordered the Juicy Lucy burger. We both really liked the food. I had the Banana Split martini and started feeling tipsy before I even got halfway through with it so they aren't stingy with their drinks as far as liquor goes. We won a $10 gift card but even if we hadn't we'd still go back anyway. The service was ok. The waitress wasn't very attentive and it wasn't even busy. She took a while to check in on us throughout the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good chips and salsa. It wasDawnDined on 11/25/2013Good chips and salsa. It was great that the Happy Hour pricing went until 7:00.Special Features:
- SpinnerSpinnerDined on 11/15/2013appetizers were excellent, margaritas were very good but a -little-e high priced. Service was excellent. Wait person was very nice knowledgeable. She made our experience a very special occasion.Special Features: