401 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Bannock.aspx
- Phone: 4168616996x
- Hours of Operation:
Grab & Go / Coffee Shop Hours:
Monday – Friday: 7:30am-5:00pm
Dining Room Hours:
Monday – Saturday: 11:30am-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Miheer Shete
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Queen and Bay
- Public Transit: TTC - Queen Street subway stop
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is ample public underground parking available directly adjacent to the restaurant at 110 Queen Street West, Nathan Phillip Square Green P parking facility, accessible off Bay Street. http://bit.ly/c5dCU6
A word from Bannock
Bannock is a fresh market café and grab and go counter serving chef-prepared Canadian comfort foods. Centrally located at the corner of Queen and Bay in the Hudson Bay flagship store, Bannock provides all day meal options for shoppers, foodies, tourists and those who live and work downtown. Bannock's honest approach to food is rooted in familiar, wholesome ingredients that are reflective of Canada's rich regional and cultural diversity. The name 'Bannock' honours the iconic round flatbread that was first brought to Canada through Scottish explorers and traders, and adapted by indigenous people and settlers. Bannock is featured throughout the entire menu including sweet breakfast breads, fresh artisan sandwiches, burgers and pizzas, as well as accompaniments to soups, salads, main courses and desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Bannock reviews from OpenTable diners
293 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (164)fit for foodies (150)good for groups (94)great for brunch (59)neighborhood gem (57)hot spot (55)special occasion (50)kid-friendly (25)romantic (20)late-night find (16)notable wine list (12)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OUTSTANDING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014THE FOOD WAS GREAT, WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND. SERVER VERY ATTENTIVESpecial Features:
- Try the pizzas!MarieDined on 10/18/2014We dined here for a quick meal before our show at Massey Hall and was not disappointed! They have unlimited sparkling water for $2.50pp and a wonderful menu to satisfy many tastes. I decided to try something different and had their Caesar Salad and Calamari on a Pizza, I know it sounds strange but the flavours were amazing! Service was great! We will be going back to try their duck poutine pizza next.Special Features:
- Busy restaurant with good foodFlakyPastryDined on 10/17/2014I had a birthday dinner at Bannock with 3 friends on a Friday night. It was very busy, which was probably the reason why service was a tad slow. We waited a little too long to receive our meal. However, service was very friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent and the price point fair for quality and quantity in a restaurant that is somewhere between casual and upscale. One criticism I have is that the restaurant does not offer complimentary bread service. This is a missed opportunity for showcasing their namesake food item - Bannock.Special Features:
- food portion far too smallMaryVIPDined on 10/16/2014Food was very tasty, but the portion size was appropriate as an appetizer and not a main. Very expensive for what we received and not satisfying.
- Besties night outFoodFanDined on 10/15/2014My best friend and I needed a girls night out (yes, it was a Wed...) - do we ever really need a reason for a night out? LOL We ordered a bottle of wine and some appetizers - all of which were great. (bannock bread and sweet potato fries - which, by the way, are the best darn sweet potato fries I've ever had). We proceeded to order our entrees and I typically never order steak anywhere else other than The Keg because they always do it right but I thought I'd give it a try...well let me tell you. Bannock gives them a run for their money. I asked for mine medium well and it was perfect! Then came dessert...we thought we'd try the butter tart AND the s'mores pie (we just couldn't choose). They were both incredible! Our waitress was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spot for Lunch!KJSteamboatVIPDined on 10/15/2014Great location for lunch in the Bay and Queen area. The Big Salad was one of the specials and it was fabulous! Don't wait too long to order the "specials" if that's what you want..... they were definitely the preferred choice items, and were removed from the chalk board during my one hour lunch stay - as they were being "sold-out"!!! Not a "fast-food" chain, and not "fine dining"!!! Perfect for a great sit - down lunch with table service (which was very good!).Special Features:
- Great lunchRickSladeVIPDined on 10/15/2014I probably wouldn't go for dinner because of the ambiance. Feels like a high end diner. Really tasty food and excellent prompt serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannock for lunchanotheradventureDined on 10/10/2014The service we received was excellent. It was loud when we first arrived, plus had a small crying child behind us. We went for late lunch so once the restaurant became a bit quieter it was great. The atmosphere would be more suited to groups, thought the tables for 2 were a little 'tight'. Overall we would go back for a lunch or brunch. We thought the Thanksgiving touches around the restaurant were really cute.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014Came here with work colleagues for lunch. Everyone seemed satisfied with their dish although service was a bit on the slow side. Menu was good though in that there was enough on there for vegetarians and gluten-sensitive individuals. Good place for a group lunch.Special Features:
- ImpressiveJustinTDined on 10/8/2014I am a consistent fan of O&B restaurants. And once again, they didn't disappoint. My experiences are so good, and so consistent, that I don't even know what else to say. I have never had a bad experience at an O&B restaurant, but I believe my worst experience at an O&B restaurant would still be better than a good experience at an Earl's, Cara, Swiss Chalet, Montana's, etc....MAYBE Ruth Chris can give Peter and Michael a run for their money. MAYBE. But probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canadian Traditions with a TwistGeorgiaVisitsCanadaDined on 10/8/2014My one and only eating experience in Toronto was outstanding. It was a special occasion and the atmosphere, food selection and energy were perfect. It would be worth the 2 hour flight to come back to Banncock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food w a Canadian touchYULYYZ1Dined on 10/5/2014Friendly service and original menu. Could so without the fruit flies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience confirmedBrotherBearDined on 10/4/2014This was not my first time there and the food and the overall experience was great. Wait stuff are very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A yearly traditionNuitBlanceStartingPtDined on 10/4/2014We always kikoff nuit blanche in October with dinner and drinks at Bannock. It is close to the action and gets us started on our night journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food With A TwistXavierDined on 10/4/2014First time here and won't be our last. Both had the feature of the day, braised short ribs with mashed potatoes which were off the chart delicious and a perfect portion size. The menu in general is quite intriguing and can't wait to go back and try some more dishes. Service though very busy is quite friendly and attentive. The three desserts looked amazing, we had the warm butter tart and bruleed cheese cake both of which were delicious though the cheese cake a rather large portion and better for sharing. Good location for theatre as we wanted a change.Special Features:
- Bannock0123654321Dined on 10/3/2014Delicious. Don't fill up on the poutine appetizer, because the entrees are all delicious.Special Features:
- The better O&B optionkirkjhDined on 10/2/2014Stopped in at Bannock with a friend that visiting from out of town. We both had the cream of mushroom soup to start which was really good... My Entree was the Lamb Shoulder Roti which I would recommend. It had a bit of a kick to it and was very flavourful. My dinner companion ordered the Samosa entree (which I didn't know there was such a thing). I tried a little of the samosa, it had a Mexican twist to it with added guacamole and sour cream. It was good, but I'm not sure I would want it as an entree. It was more of an app type thing. The Roti was so big, I didn't have room for dessert....Special Features:
- Amazing food, fast serviceamcbDined on 10/2/2014I was a little skeptical when I walked in and saw the atmosphere. On the right is a takeout and quick eat-in area. It looked like a busy, bright cafe. On the left is a larger dining area, where I met my friend for lunch. Despite being busy, the service was very fast. It wasn't a place I would go for a nice date or a really quiet meal, but it was great for lunch or casual dinner. The food was really delicious, a very good balance of flavours, everything fresh and lots of interesting options to choose from. I had the turkey burger and spinach salad. The burger was amazing and filling. I can't wait to go back and try something else.Special Features:
- great service and food!foodfanaticDined on 9/30/2014I am writing the review to commend the server we had. I'm pretty sure his name was Marcel. He was able to describe every dish we were interested in getting perfectly, and he even asked if we were in a rush to make sure we got our food quickly. We got the mumbai sev puri and the duck fat potatoes. The puri was outstanding. A great combination of tender chicken pieces with a hint of yogurt and spice. The potatoes were ok but I probably wouldn't get it again. Next time, I will definitely try the duck poutine pizza.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchTorontogirlDined on 9/28/2014With 14 attendees my 22 year old daughter enjoyed Sunday birthday brunch at Bannocks. We had a back high table with our own area and enjoyed the ability to be loud, move around the table to open presents and look through a one-way window into the shop of the downtown Bay. The service was a bit chaotic as we had one server for the bar and another for food, and different times guests arriving. But it worked out for the birthday girl and the choices for lunch mains and desserts were good for all to choose (vegetarians, those avoiding pork and those wanting all the brunch requisites!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place and highly recommenedsemsemaDined on 9/26/2014services was great and fast. very friendly people - food delicious but limited varieties - of course I will go again
- LunchTheFoodieDined on 9/25/2014I love O&B restaurants - Canteen, Luma, O&B Cafe Grill - but both times I've had lunch at Bannock, I've been disappointed. The food is really bad Earlier this year, I had smoked salmon/capers with pasta. The salmon was so salty, I couldn't eat it. It was absolutely horrible. I didn't complain because everyone else at the table seemed to be enjoying their meals. Last week my team went back to Bannock where I ordered the pad thai. I asked for no peanuts or tofu. Even though my meal still came with tofu, I picked them out...no a big deal. But the chef put so much vinegar in the sauce that it certainly made me pucker. My pad thai was like vinegar soup. I will still visit my other O&B faves, but Bannock? - you won't see me again.
- delightfuldymicheleVIPDined on 9/24/2014I am a huge fan of this place! It was recommended by a co-worker for their s'mores pie. I was seated quickly, and greeted quickly. The server was great she told me about their menu, the specials and recommended some local beers. I started with a salad, and had the chicken pot pie for my entrée. It was amazing, it was fresh and filling. I saved room for dessert and had the s'mores pie and it was amazing. I was barely able to finish it, but was not rushed out of the restaurant. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/24/2014First time for my guests and they were very impressed with the food and atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great!LindsayDined on 9/24/2014I ordered the Ceaser & Seafood Pizza without Bacon. It was brought to me with the Bacon on it, however the server was AMAZING. He came right over, apologized and offered me a soup while I waited for my pizza to be re-made. The spinach soup was delicious and when the pizza came it was perfect! Great experience overall, I can't wait to go back for more food!Special Features:
- Best comfort foodAlexGVIPDined on 9/24/2014Always a tasty comfort-food option. Guest had the meatloaf, I had the lamb curry - both were excellent.Special Features:
- Food getting pricierCanadianBotDined on 9/23/2014I used to love Bannock, their duck poutine pizza was one of my favourite things to order. However, on my last trip I couldn't help but feel like their prices weren't reflective of the quality or portion size. For instance, we paid $13 for the "bannacos" appetizer (grilled pickerel fish tacos) and got 2 tiny tacos with some cucumber/apple chunks on the side. Also, $18 for a tiny portion of chicken pot pie that was mediocre at best was a complete rip off. Even the desserts seemed pricier. $8 for a butter tart or $9 for a square of s'mores pie is more than I would care to pay for dessert. Our bill came to about $80 between two people and although we ate modestly, still left hungry and unsatisfied. Not sure if I'll be returning any time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great food and the service was outstanding. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Gnocchihappygirl317Dined on 9/15/2014We had the gnocchi, recommended by the waiter for vegetarians, and it was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick pre-show dinnerzorkieDined on 9/12/2014It was quick and the food was excellent. Portions looked a bit small for the pot pie although my friends said it was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkevindigoDined on 9/11/2014We were seated in the corner, which in itself is a bit depressing. Service was lacking, our waitress didn't check up on us at all once food arrived and it took 5 minutes to flag her down to order. A substitution was requested (bread instead of bannock as a side with mussels) and it was not brought out. After 2 more requests, bannock was brought out (we were told that bread was not available - we had just eaten a bread basket that I had ordered). I ordered the flat iron steak medium rare, it came out medium well to well done. Not a bad cut of meat though, and I didn't want to have it taken back (didn't want to wait). I probably wouldn't return unless someone else requested it - willing to give it a second chance.Special Features:
- Excellent mealfoodcatDined on 9/10/2014We had wonderful time at Bannock. Very fast and helpful service, everyone was very friendly. Food was great, drinks were great and the warm smores pie alone is worth a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TIFF lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014very good place for lunch close to 2 of the TIFF theatres - Elgin and Winter Garden. Interesting menu with tasty interpretations of comfort food . Friendly and knowledgeable servers bit noisy for conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed BannockNickSDined on 9/7/2014This is a great spot inside The Bay at Bay and Queen. Very good service though some wait during an off-peak time. Food was incredible: they had a burger special. Look forward to returning for brunch one day!Special Features:
- Amazing Birthday Celebration!!dmoneyDined on 9/6/2014We had an AMAZING dinner experience at Bannock this past Saturday evening. We were a group of 7 celebrating a birthday, which we did not make known when reserving. Our awesome waiter overheard friends toasting my birthday and he very kindly brought us a round of yummy shots. He also went over and above and had the chef prepare an incredible dessert tray for us that was the best dessert I've had in a long time. Loved it!!Special Features:
- Best BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Fun menu. Great Service. Reasonably priced for downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannockdinersanonymous1Dined on 9/4/2014The pasta was excellent. The serviceservice was really good too. Unfortunately we ordered the bouillabaisse and was really disappointed. My husband forced it down. It was flavourless. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm good - Yeh, CanadacouchichingDined on 8/25/2014Great place to eat with a unique menu selection. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic and added so much fun to our dining experience. Loved out food and would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for vegetariansBillyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversay at this restaurant. We chose a more modest place over other high end restaurants, which we felt more fitting for us. My wife is vegetarian and they had a number of choices which was most helpful. Food was very good, service was excellent, and the staff treated us in a special way to mark our occasion. All in all a pleasnat experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Overpriced, even for downtown Toronto. Limited menu. Not impressed with the food. Coffees were served sporadically to our table of 5 with no sugar or cream/milk brought with them. Coffee & dessert service was not coordinated between the waitress and the barista. Waitress said she would "comp" the coffees, but when the bills came she hadn't.