401 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Bannock.aspx
- Phone: 4168616996x
- Hours of Operation:
Grab & Go / Coffee Shop Hours:
Monday – Friday: 7:30am-5:00pm
Dining Room Hours:
Monday – Saturday: 11:30am-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Anthony Walsh, Chef de Cuisine: Miheer Shete
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Queen and Bay
- Public Transit: TTC - Queen Street subway stop
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is ample public underground parking available directly adjacent to the restaurant at 110 Queen Street West, Nathan Phillip Square Green P parking facility, accessible off Bay Street. http://bit.ly/c5dCU6
A word from Bannock
Bannock is a fresh market café and grab and go counter serving chef-prepared Canadian comfort foods. Centrally located at the corner of Queen and Bay in the Hudson Bay flagship store, Bannock provides all day meal options for shoppers, foodies, tourists and those who live and work downtown. Bannock's honest approach to food is rooted in familiar, wholesome ingredients that are reflective of Canada's rich regional and cultural diversity. The name 'Bannock' honours the iconic round flatbread that was first brought to Canada through Scottish explorers and traders, and adapted by indigenous people and settlers. Bannock is featured throughout the entire menu including sweet breakfast breads, fresh artisan sandwiches, burgers and pizzas, as well as accompaniments to soups, salads, main courses and desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Bannock reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (168)fit for foodies (146)good for groups (88)great for brunch (58)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (50)hot spot (49)kid-friendly (21)romantic (19)late-night find (15)notable wine list (15)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- good place and highly recommenedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014services was great and fast. very friendly people - food delicious but limited varieties - of course I will go again
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I love O&B restaurants - Canteen, Luma, O&B Cafe Grill - but both times I've had lunch at Bannock, I've been disappointed. The food is really bad Earlier this year, I had smoked salmon/capers with pasta. The salmon was so salty, I couldn't eat it. It was absolutely horrible. I didn't complain because everyone else at the table seemed to be enjoying their meals. Last week my team went back to Bannock where I ordered the pad thai. I asked for no peanuts or tofu. Even though my meal still came with tofu, I picked them out...no a big deal. But the chef put so much vinegar in the sauce that it certainly made me pucker. My pad thai was like vinegar soup. I will still visit my other O&B faves, but Bannock? - you won't see me again.
- FoodieDined on 9/24/2014First time for my guests and they were very impressed with the food and atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great!LindsayDined on 9/24/2014I ordered the Ceaser & Seafood Pizza without Bacon. It was brought to me with the Bacon on it, however the server was AMAZING. He came right over, apologized and offered me a soup while I waited for my pizza to be re-made. The spinach soup was delicious and when the pizza came it was perfect! Great experience overall, I can't wait to go back for more food!Special Features:
- Best comfort foodAlexGVIPDined on 9/24/2014Always a tasty comfort-food option. Guest had the meatloaf, I had the lamb curry - both were excellent.Special Features:
- Food getting pricierCanadianBotDined on 9/23/2014I used to love Bannock, their duck poutine pizza was one of my favourite things to order. However, on my last trip I couldn't help but feel like their prices weren't reflective of the quality or portion size. For instance, we paid $13 for the "bannacos" appetizer (grilled pickerel fish tacos) and got 2 tiny tacos with some cucumber/apple chunks on the side. Also, $18 for a tiny portion of chicken pot pie that was mediocre at best was a complete rip off. Even the desserts seemed pricier. $8 for a butter tart or $9 for a square of s'mores pie is more than I would care to pay for dessert. Our bill came to about $80 between two people and although we ate modestly, still left hungry and unsatisfied. Not sure if I'll be returning any time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great food and the service was outstanding. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Gnocchihappygirl317Dined on 9/15/2014We had the gnocchi, recommended by the waiter for vegetarians, and it was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quick pre-show dinnerzorkieDined on 9/12/2014It was quick and the food was excellent. Portions looked a bit small for the pot pie although my friends said it was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkevindigoDined on 9/11/2014We were seated in the corner, which in itself is a bit depressing. Service was lacking, our waitress didn't check up on us at all once food arrived and it took 5 minutes to flag her down to order. A substitution was requested (bread instead of bannock as a side with mussels) and it was not brought out. After 2 more requests, bannock was brought out (we were told that bread was not available - we had just eaten a bread basket that I had ordered). I ordered the flat iron steak medium rare, it came out medium well to well done. Not a bad cut of meat though, and I didn't want to have it taken back (didn't want to wait). I probably wouldn't return unless someone else requested it - willing to give it a second chance.Special Features:
- Excellent mealfoodcatDined on 9/10/2014We had wonderful time at Bannock. Very fast and helpful service, everyone was very friendly. Food was great, drinks were great and the warm smores pie alone is worth a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TIFF lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014very good place for lunch close to 2 of the TIFF theatres - Elgin and Winter Garden. Interesting menu with tasty interpretations of comfort food . Friendly and knowledgeable servers bit noisy for conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed BannockNickSDined on 9/7/2014This is a great spot inside The Bay at Bay and Queen. Very good service though some wait during an off-peak time. Food was incredible: they had a burger special. Look forward to returning for brunch one day!Special Features:
- Amazing Birthday Celebration!!dmoneyDined on 9/6/2014We had an AMAZING dinner experience at Bannock this past Saturday evening. We were a group of 7 celebrating a birthday, which we did not make known when reserving. Our awesome waiter overheard friends toasting my birthday and he very kindly brought us a round of yummy shots. He also went over and above and had the chef prepare an incredible dessert tray for us that was the best dessert I've had in a long time. Loved it!!Special Features:
- Best BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Fun menu. Great Service. Reasonably priced for downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannockdinersanonymous1Dined on 9/4/2014The pasta was excellent. The serviceservice was really good too. Unfortunately we ordered the bouillabaisse and was really disappointed. My husband forced it down. It was flavourless. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm good - Yeh, CanadacouchichingDined on 8/25/2014Great place to eat with a unique menu selection. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic and added so much fun to our dining experience. Loved out food and would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for vegetariansBillyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversay at this restaurant. We chose a more modest place over other high end restaurants, which we felt more fitting for us. My wife is vegetarian and they had a number of choices which was most helpful. Food was very good, service was excellent, and the staff treated us in a special way to mark our occasion. All in all a pleasnat experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Overpriced, even for downtown Toronto. Limited menu. Not impressed with the food. Coffees were served sporadically to our table of 5 with no sugar or cream/milk brought with them. Coffee & dessert service was not coordinated between the waitress and the barista. Waitress said she would "comp" the coffees, but when the bills came she hadn't.
- Delish!sparxxDined on 8/21/2014Food is amazing, different & delicious! Selection is good, but not overwhelming with options for all types of foodies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Very knowledgeable staff with great food understanding of food. excellent service. the staff knew the menu very well and made great recommendations. Food was very delicious and well priced.Special Features:
- Lunch with dear friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I had a lovely lunch with friends here. I had the veggie bannock. My friends had the pulled pork and bannock bannock. All said they were nice .Special Features:
- SuperbTheMunchingFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Since discovering this restaurant a few months ago I've been back five times, each time with a new friend to experience the beautiful food here. The food is always fresh, always has amazing presentation, and being 19 years of age, stays within my budget for a really nice dining treat. I recommend this restaurant to all of my friends. Each person I've brought with me always raves about the quality of the food (smore's pie!) and the ambience. The servers are also very warm and easy to talk to and do their best to make your dining experience one of a kind :) Thanks Bannock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent gem downtown!gabrianalDined on 8/5/2014It is a convenient location in the heart of Toronto. There is something in the menu for everyone: the vegetarian, the gluten free, the meat lover, the fish lover, the pasta lover, the pizza lover, canadian food, lovely wines and deserts! Staff is extremely friendly and I have never had a dish there that was not well done. If you want to be pleasantly surprised get the special! We had elk snitzel last night! It was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing atmospheremedicmanDined on 8/2/2014This place pairs impeccable service with a great list of comforting food options, with pleasing choices for vegetarians, pescetarians and meat-lovers. The atmosphere is best described as relaxed; this is not a formal place, and you really can just sit and enjoy a quiet meal.Special Features:
- Not a Great ExperienceFredDined on 8/2/2014Heralded as Canadian comfort food, it was anything but that. The unique combination of a multitude of spices made the food taste as if it were from some other region of the world. Tortilla soup that had a taste like cinnamon? BBQ sauce that was bitter and acidy? Even the maple bacon ice cream was more like maple with a couple of bacon bits in it. On the positive side, the fennel slaw was excellent and the chocolate that accompanied the ice cream was delicious.Special Features:
- A must try for Lunch!woodsrupVIPDined on 8/1/2014Chicken pot pie was excellent and the maple bacon ice cream dessert was awesome. Our server was top notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love lovesanitaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Love Bannock! We keep going back for the green mac and cheese. So flavourful. We'll be back again!Special Features:
- Near the SheratonPickyDined on 7/31/2014That's why I chose it. There is very little "grown-up" around there when Osgood is closed. It worked out ok but to chat with an old friend I would have preferred somewhere a lot quieter and less frantic. But its good to have on a B list. The service started off slow, but improved and was fine. My friend loved her tourtiere, but my pizza was so-so.
- Good FoodDiner1Dined on 7/30/2014The food was good and nicely portioned. The service was great and quick to address our questions. We asked for recommendations which were presented well and according to our dietary restrictions. The only slight negative was that the noise level at times got to a point where I couldn't hear the person sitting across of me. Other than that it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannock gets it right in every waymindoverdataDined on 7/28/2014Everything about this restaurant is exceptional. The food, service and value are all fantastic. I've been many times, enough times that it's clear that they value their staff, their patrons, and the quality of food they're serving. Would absolutely recommend Bannock for anything from a casual lunch to a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Food was well presentedPBnJDined on 7/26/2014Came here for a birthday with 9 people, although the service was kind of slow the food was decent. I ordered the octopus which was not particularly impressive so would not recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!cbadieDined on 7/25/2014We went to Bannock to try the duck poutine pizza and were not disappointed. Our waiter was very friendly and paid attention to our needs throughout. Recommended for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty dishKastDined on 7/24/2014I recently went with a friend for lunch and we had both ordered the haddock and shrimp cake with chips. We found the fries to be salty as well as the fish cake. I previously had the crab cake during this past winterlicious and it was delicious! I was expecting the same foe this dish but was let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014I had a impromptu birthday lunch here. Overall great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summerlicious menu was just OK.wenttofridaDined on 7/20/2014other things on the menu looked good though! The food wasn't bad, but there wasn't too much to be excited about either....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Canadian ExperienceCsilNicoDined on 7/19/2014Bannock serves local food and gourmet Canadian specialties at a very reasonable price. I brought my parents there for them to try what is Canadian food outside of burgers and poutine. They loved it! Very nice place for a chill get together on special occasions, with family or friends. Too bad that the noise level gets very loud when the place is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing at Bannockmerk28Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I chose Bannock for a pre-theatre dinner and found our dining experience to be very relaxing and enjoyable. We chose our meal from their Summerlicious offerings and the meal was amazing. We also have a bottle of their private label Biff's red wine and it was also very tasty. The staff here are very friendly and attentive and fun to be around. Thank you Bannock for a very enjoyable start to our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014SO disappointed today @ the service I received at Bannock. I know waiters are busy with summerlicious, so I didn't expect great service, but still. Our waitress was friendly, but the person who served the dishes shoved the mains down on our table BEFORE we were even done with our appetizers. Since the restaurant is packed, tables for 2 usually only had space for well, 2 dishes. My mother was forced to finish her appetizer fast so she can make room on the table. We were also given the bill before we even asked for it, yet it was well past 3pm, and there's no one waiting for a table- so why shoo us out? We didn't overstay either, it was only a bit after an hour since we first sat down. It's impossible to recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- excellent lunchJackVIPDined on 7/19/2014Caesar soup and duck poutine pizza were special. Would gladly return.Special Features: