401 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Bannock.aspx
- Phone: (416) 861-6996
- Hours of Operation:
Grab & Go / Coffee Shop Hours:
Monday – Friday: 7:30am-5:00pm
Dining Room Hours:
Monday – Saturday: 11:30am-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Miheer Shete
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Queen and Bay
- Public Transit: TTC - Queen Street subway stop
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is ample public underground parking available directly adjacent to the restaurant at 110 Queen Street West, Nathan Phillip Square Green P parking facility, accessible off Bay Street. http://bit.ly/c5dCU6
A word from Bannock
Bannock is a fresh market café and grab and go counter serving chef-prepared Canadian comfort foods. Centrally located at the corner of Queen and Bay in the Hudson Bay flagship store, Bannock provides all day meal options for shoppers, foodies, tourists and those who live and work downtown. Bannock's honest approach to food is rooted in familiar, wholesome ingredients that are reflective of Canada's rich regional and cultural diversity. The name 'Bannock' honours the iconic round flatbread that was first brought to Canada through Scottish explorers and traders, and adapted by indigenous people and settlers. Bannock is featured throughout the entire menu including sweet breakfast breads, fresh artisan sandwiches, burgers and pizzas, as well as accompaniments to soups, salads, main courses and desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Bannock reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)great for lunch (114)good for groups (75)great for brunch (43)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (43)special occasion (31)kid-friendly (12)romantic (10)late-night find (10)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Try this!!NotaFoodiebutDined on 11/22/2014Good food. Fast. Friendly. A great escape from the bustle of downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food never disappointedMaryDined on 11/21/2014I started working nearby Bannock and went twice in one week this past week! It's fantastic food, always fast and great service. Definitely will be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent valuehappycamperDined on 11/20/2014This is the best lunch spot my colleagues and I have tried in a long time. A bit of a splurge, but so worth it. The food and ambiance were good (the northern woods mushrooms were particularly amazing), the portions were very generous, the servers were all very pleasant, and the place was very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014service was exceptional, as always. we look forward to continue dining at our preferred table. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchShawnaDined on 11/17/2014Bannock was great for our small group business lunch. The ambiance was perfect. The service was fast and very friendly, and my turkey burger was delicious. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a bite to eat in the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Networing gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Great place to network, with a lunch menu diverse enough for most tastes, and quite affordable. Noise level is definitely on the high side, but then if you can't hear your phone ring you can focus on your conversation more. Service was excellent, Particularly appreciated the no pressure to leave, since this was a network meeting, and all about finishing the conversation. Location is easy to access, central. Reservation online was very efficient. Have been twice in the last week. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good but less canadian focusesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014Hi We miss the canadian focus on food - isn't that the point of the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScotchMonsterDined on 11/13/2014Wanted something casual but with good quality food-good service was a bonus. Pleasantly surprised with a cheese plate that was complimentary-strongly recommend dining here if you want a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/11/2014Liked that it had a few vegan friendly options but the server wasn't around muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck Poutine PizzaTechgurlDined on 11/6/2014Need I say more? We came here due to a review I found and had to try the Duck Poutine Pizza. Definitely worth checking out and I recommend you share. The Cocktails were also excellent! Waitstaff were friendly and very helpful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I always love going to Bannock. The food and wait staff are perfect. It's noisy at times but that's to be expected downtown.Special Features:
- Great Service!JL80Dined on 11/5/2014Our server was very helpful and had a vast knowledge of the menu. I appreciate when someone tells me one dish is better than another as opposed to saying "everything is good". She was bang on with all of her suggestions, and my out of town guests really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeScrappyDined on 11/3/2014Bannock is always great. Our waiter was fantastic and knew the menu really well. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinner supported wellBusinessDineDined on 10/30/2014The way our waiter presented the details of the menu with terrific details, knowledge and expressiveness prepared for the wonderful, flavourful and beautifully presented dinner. We didn't feel rushed as we dined and spoke business. He was able to accommodate allergies and made everyone feel catered to. The meal was full of flavour, the experience was great! I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at BannockAmusebDined on 10/30/2014Had dinner with 2 friends here. Menu had a good variety of Pan Asian and Western. Food was tasty and ambience was great. Convenient location as it's close to the subway. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Service and AmbianceReadytoeatDined on 10/29/2014Bannock was amazing and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. The menu had a great selection even for the picky eaters in our group. We were a group of six and four people were visiting from the United States. They had such a great time and were so impressed with the food, atmosphere and our server Marcel. The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. We ordered the garlic and herb bannock + o&b artisan breads, pasta special, bannock bannock sandwich, pizza special, mumbai sev puri and miheer’s curried lamb shoulder. We also ordered the brûléed cheesecake, buttertart and warm s’mores pie for dessert which we all shared. Everything was so delicious and I will definitely be returning to Bannock.Special Features:
- Yum!!kdoodleDined on 10/28/2014I really enjoyed eating at Bannock. Our server was super knowledgeable and recommended great items, and even the best order to eat them in. We got the duck fat poutine pizza, the turkey burger, and the spinach mac'n'cheese. All were phenomenal, but I was particularly impressed with the turkey burger!! It was juicy, perfectly seasoned and just SO good. I couldn't stop eating it. I definitely recommend you give it a try :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort food!MississaugaDined on 10/27/2014This was my second visit and the food was just add good a the first time. I chose this restaurant for a birthday dinner with family. The duck poutine pizza is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Food was both amazing and unique! We enjoyed from beginning to end! the staff were most friendly and gave great advice. Our table was ready and waiting for us when we arrived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but service was a little slowklawskiDined on 10/25/2014I booked the table and in the notes added that we were trying to get to a show for 7pm. The host had read the notes so was aware of our time constraints. Half our group was late but I thought that we still should have been able to get our food and bill within an hour. Fortunately the food was great and when the lamb shoulder curry was taking longer than the others, the host offered a soup starter for my friend while her curry was finishing. And because we weren't stressed about making the show for when the doors opened, we tried the desserts too. The brulee cheesecake was really tasty and my friends' ices (strawberry and red current) were creamy even though they were completely dairy free. We ended up leaving the restaurant at 7:45pm.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/20142nd experience at the restaurant and thought the food was great and the service was fantastic. Well mannered, freindly, professional and will to answer any and all questions. Service was very fast, but there was never that pressure to finsih quickly and clear the table.Special Features:
- Great experience!KKOnVacayDined on 10/23/2014Fun little spot in the middle of the city... great for a catch up dinner with old friends. Lots of great comfort food on the menu and love the Canadian focus. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Great Canadian Comfort FoodTODinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Bannock delivers its own spin on traditional Canadian dishes and does it well. The venue is not particularly warm but makes a great choice for lunch or early dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful CanadianaGlowDined on 10/21/2014The decor is classy and rustic, with a warm and cozy atmosphere. The food was delicious, and the portion was generous. My husband ordered the Bannock Cheese Burger and I got the BLT Bannock, we also had the Artisan Butter tart for dessert, which was melt in your mouth delicious. My husband also ordered a beer, and since I was only drinking water my waitress offered me a free cocktail which was delicious. Service in general was attentive and friendly, making you feel welcomed. Overall it was a great experience. We were heading to the Opera and I would recommend to anyone dining in the area. We can't wait to go back and try more of their dishes.Special Features:
- Not good for groupsOscarMDined on 10/21/2014The food was ok. Some dishes are are good but with a little more effort they could have been great. The servers were great but the food took forever. We got in at 6 and did not get out to 8 and eating only took 20 minutes. They tried to make up for it by giving deseart but that only delayed things and it was not good. Over all we will not go back with all the other great places to choose from in the area.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDinnerDined on 10/20/2014Best service. Attentive and friendly staff. Very thoughtful with champagne and desserts. The food was excellent! Very happy patron. Will return again many times over just because of this experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!mamaczovekDined on 10/18/2014THE FOOD WAS GREAT, WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND. SERVER VERY ATTENTIVESpecial Features:
- Try the pizzas!MarieDined on 10/18/2014We dined here for a quick meal before our show at Massey Hall and was not disappointed! They have unlimited sparkling water for $2.50pp and a wonderful menu to satisfy many tastes. I decided to try something different and had their Caesar Salad and Calamari on a Pizza, I know it sounds strange but the flavours were amazing! Service was great! We will be going back to try their duck poutine pizza next.Special Features:
- Well Done!ChibbonDined on 10/18/2014Your menu selection is fabulous. Plenty of options for my friends who are vegan and vegetarian and for myself who enjoys fish or meat options. Portion sizes are very generous and the food is of outstanding quality. Well done BannockSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy restaurant with good foodFlakyPastryDined on 10/17/2014I had a birthday dinner at Bannock with 3 friends on a Friday night. It was very busy, which was probably the reason why service was a tad slow. We waited a little too long to receive our meal. However, service was very friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent and the price point fair for quality and quantity in a restaurant that is somewhere between casual and upscale. One criticism I have is that the restaurant does not offer complimentary bread service. This is a missed opportunity for showcasing their namesake food item - Bannock.Special Features:
- food portion far too smallMaryVIPDined on 10/16/2014Food was very tasty, but the portion size was appropriate as an appetizer and not a main. Very expensive for what we received and not satisfying.
- Besties night outFoodFanDined on 10/15/2014My best friend and I needed a girls night out (yes, it was a Wed...) - do we ever really need a reason for a night out? LOL We ordered a bottle of wine and some appetizers - all of which were great. (bannock bread and sweet potato fries - which, by the way, are the best darn sweet potato fries I've ever had). We proceeded to order our entrees and I typically never order steak anywhere else other than The Keg because they always do it right but I thought I'd give it a try...well let me tell you. Bannock gives them a run for their money. I asked for mine medium well and it was perfect! Then came dessert...we thought we'd try the butter tart AND the s'mores pie (we just couldn't choose). They were both incredible! Our waitress was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spot for Lunch!KJSteamboatVIPDined on 10/15/2014Great location for lunch in the Bay and Queen area. The Big Salad was one of the specials and it was fabulous! Don't wait too long to order the "specials" if that's what you want..... they were definitely the preferred choice items, and were removed from the chalk board during my one hour lunch stay - as they were being "sold-out"!!! Not a "fast-food" chain, and not "fine dining"!!! Perfect for a great sit - down lunch with table service (which was very good!).Special Features:
- Great lunchRickSladeVIPDined on 10/15/2014I probably wouldn't go for dinner because of the ambiance. Feels like a high end diner. Really tasty food and excellent prompt serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannock for lunchanotheradventureDined on 10/10/2014The service we received was excellent. It was loud when we first arrived, plus had a small crying child behind us. We went for late lunch so once the restaurant became a bit quieter it was great. The atmosphere would be more suited to groups, thought the tables for 2 were a little 'tight'. Overall we would go back for a lunch or brunch. We thought the Thanksgiving touches around the restaurant were really cute.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014Came here with work colleagues for lunch. Everyone seemed satisfied with their dish although service was a bit on the slow side. Menu was good though in that there was enough on there for vegetarians and gluten-sensitive individuals. Good place for a group lunch.Special Features:
- ImpressiveJustinTDined on 10/8/2014I am a consistent fan of O&B restaurants. And once again, they didn't disappoint. My experiences are so good, and so consistent, that I don't even know what else to say. I have never had a bad experience at an O&B restaurant, but I believe my worst experience at an O&B restaurant would still be better than a good experience at an Earl's, Cara, Swiss Chalet, Montana's, etc....MAYBE Ruth Chris can give Peter and Michael a run for their money. MAYBE. But probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canadian Traditions with a TwistGeorgiaVisitsCanadaDined on 10/8/2014My one and only eating experience in Toronto was outstanding. It was a special occasion and the atmosphere, food selection and energy were perfect. It would be worth the 2 hour flight to come back to Banncock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food w a Canadian touchYULYYZ1Dined on 10/5/2014Friendly service and original menu. Could so without the fruit flies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience confirmedBrotherBearDined on 10/4/2014This was not my first time there and the food and the overall experience was great. Wait stuff are very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.