401 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Bannock.aspx
- Phone: 4168616996x
- Hours of Operation:
Grab & Go / Coffee Shop Hours:
Monday – Friday: 7:30am-5:00pm
Dining Room Hours:
Monday – Saturday: 11:30am-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Anthony Walsh, Chef de Cuisine: Miheer Shete
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Queen and Bay
- Public Transit: TTC - Queen Street subway stop
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is ample public underground parking available directly adjacent to the restaurant at 110 Queen Street West, Nathan Phillip Square Green P parking facility, accessible off Bay Street. http://bit.ly/c5dCU6
A word from Bannock
Bannock is a fresh market café and grab and go counter serving chef-prepared Canadian comfort foods. Centrally located at the corner of Queen and Bay in the Hudson Bay flagship store, Bannock provides all day meal options for shoppers, foodies, tourists and those who live and work downtown. Bannock's honest approach to food is rooted in familiar, wholesome ingredients that are reflective of Canada's rich regional and cultural diversity. The name 'Bannock' honours the iconic round flatbread that was first brought to Canada through Scottish explorers and traders, and adapted by indigenous people and settlers. Bannock is featured throughout the entire menu including sweet breakfast breads, fresh artisan sandwiches, burgers and pizzas, as well as accompaniments to soups, salads, main courses and desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bannock reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (174)fit for foodies (133)good for groups (91)great for brunch (63)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (52)hot spot (50)kid-friendly (27)romantic (19)notable wine list (16)late-night find (15)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Mmmmm good - Yeh, CanadaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Great place to eat with a unique menu selection. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic and added so much fun to our dining experience. Loved out food and would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for vegetariansBillyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversay at this restaurant. We chose a more modest place over other high end restaurants, which we felt more fitting for us. My wife is vegetarian and they had a number of choices which was most helpful. Food was very good, service was excellent, and the staff treated us in a special way to mark our occasion. All in all a pleasnat experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Overpriced, even for downtown Toronto. Limited menu. Not impressed with the food. Coffees were served sporadically to our table of 5 with no sugar or cream/milk brought with them. Coffee & dessert service was not coordinated between the waitress and the barista. Waitress said she would "comp" the coffees, but when the bills came she hadn't.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Very knowledgeable staff with great food understanding of food. excellent service. the staff knew the menu very well and made great recommendations. Food was very delicious and well priced.Special Features:
- Lunch with dear friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I had a lovely lunch with friends here. I had the veggie bannock. My friends had the pulled pork and bannock bannock. All said they were nice .Special Features:
- SuperbTheMunchingFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Since discovering this restaurant a few months ago I've been back five times, each time with a new friend to experience the beautiful food here. The food is always fresh, always has amazing presentation, and being 19 years of age, stays within my budget for a really nice dining treat. I recommend this restaurant to all of my friends. Each person I've brought with me always raves about the quality of the food (smore's pie!) and the ambience. The servers are also very warm and easy to talk to and do their best to make your dining experience one of a kind :) Thanks Bannock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent gem downtown!gabrianalDined on 8/5/2014It is a convenient location in the heart of Toronto. There is something in the menu for everyone: the vegetarian, the gluten free, the meat lover, the fish lover, the pasta lover, the pizza lover, canadian food, lovely wines and deserts! Staff is extremely friendly and I have never had a dish there that was not well done. If you want to be pleasantly surprised get the special! We had elk snitzel last night! It was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing atmospheremedicmanDined on 8/2/2014This place pairs impeccable service with a great list of comforting food options, with pleasing choices for vegetarians, pescetarians and meat-lovers. The atmosphere is best described as relaxed; this is not a formal place, and you really can just sit and enjoy a quiet meal.Special Features:
- Not a Great ExperienceFredDined on 8/2/2014Heralded as Canadian comfort food, it was anything but that. The unique combination of a multitude of spices made the food taste as if it were from some other region of the world. Tortilla soup that had a taste like cinnamon? BBQ sauce that was bitter and acidy? Even the maple bacon ice cream was more like maple with a couple of bacon bits in it. On the positive side, the fennel slaw was excellent and the chocolate that accompanied the ice cream was delicious.Special Features:
- A must try for Lunch!woodsrupVIPDined on 8/1/2014Chicken pot pie was excellent and the maple bacon ice cream dessert was awesome. Our server was top notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love lovesanitaDined on 8/1/2014Love Bannock! We keep going back for the green mac and cheese. So flavourful. We'll be back again!Special Features:
- Near the SheratonPickyDined on 7/31/2014That's why I chose it. There is very little "grown-up" around there when Osgood is closed. It worked out ok but to chat with an old friend I would have preferred somewhere a lot quieter and less frantic. But its good to have on a B list. The service started off slow, but improved and was fine. My friend loved her tourtiere, but my pizza was so-so.
- Good FoodDiner1Dined on 7/30/2014The food was good and nicely portioned. The service was great and quick to address our questions. We asked for recommendations which were presented well and according to our dietary restrictions. The only slight negative was that the noise level at times got to a point where I couldn't hear the person sitting across of me. Other than that it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bannock gets it right in every waymindoverdataDined on 7/28/2014Everything about this restaurant is exceptional. The food, service and value are all fantastic. I've been many times, enough times that it's clear that they value their staff, their patrons, and the quality of food they're serving. Would absolutely recommend Bannock for anything from a casual lunch to a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Food was well presentedPBnJDined on 7/26/2014Came here for a birthday with 9 people, although the service was kind of slow the food was decent. I ordered the octopus which was not particularly impressive so would not recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!cbadieDined on 7/25/2014We went to Bannock to try the duck poutine pizza and were not disappointed. Our waiter was very friendly and paid attention to our needs throughout. Recommended for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty dishKastDined on 7/24/2014I recently went with a friend for lunch and we had both ordered the haddock and shrimp cake with chips. We found the fries to be salty as well as the fish cake. I previously had the crab cake during this past winterlicious and it was delicious! I was expecting the same foe this dish but was let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014I had a impromptu birthday lunch here. Overall great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summerlicious menu was just OK.wenttofridaDined on 7/20/2014other things on the menu looked good though! The food wasn't bad, but there wasn't too much to be excited about either....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Canadian ExperienceCsilNicoDined on 7/19/2014Bannock serves local food and gourmet Canadian specialties at a very reasonable price. I brought my parents there for them to try what is Canadian food outside of burgers and poutine. They loved it! Very nice place for a chill get together on special occasions, with family or friends. Too bad that the noise level gets very loud when the place is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing at Bannockmerk28Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I chose Bannock for a pre-theatre dinner and found our dining experience to be very relaxing and enjoyable. We chose our meal from their Summerlicious offerings and the meal was amazing. We also have a bottle of their private label Biff's red wine and it was also very tasty. The staff here are very friendly and attentive and fun to be around. Thank you Bannock for a very enjoyable start to our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014SO disappointed today @ the service I received at Bannock. I know waiters are busy with summerlicious, so I didn't expect great service, but still. Our waitress was friendly, but the person who served the dishes shoved the mains down on our table BEFORE we were even done with our appetizers. Since the restaurant is packed, tables for 2 usually only had space for well, 2 dishes. My mother was forced to finish her appetizer fast so she can make room on the table. We were also given the bill before we even asked for it, yet it was well past 3pm, and there's no one waiting for a table- so why shoo us out? We didn't overstay either, it was only a bit after an hour since we first sat down. It's impossible to recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- excellent lunchJackVIPDined on 7/19/2014Caesar soup and duck poutine pizza were special. Would gladly return.Special Features:
- Law School ReunionVantheFoodieDined on 7/18/2014My group and I arrived quite late as they were coming from Niagara Falls. Nonetheless, the staff at Bannock accomodated us despite the fact that we were the very last guests. We chose this venue because of the location and it was participating in Summerlicious. The three course meal was delicious. This was my third time dining here and the food was impeccable like every other time that I had been. Exceptional venue for food! I ordered the beets with smoked slamon and hummus - the flavours were incredible! The meatloaf with mashed potatoes was superb and the bread pudding for dessert was magical! Highly recommend Bannock for reunions, date nights or even if you are dining solo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food served rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The restaurant itself is nothing to special but the food and service are outstanding. Very creative menu items and great cocktails from the bar. Its not very decorative and doesn't really have a particular mood or ambience. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very crowded, but good food.biggcathDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant was very crowded and loud. It was hard to hear my date speaking when we were sitting across the table from each other. I could hear a lot of other conversations loudly and clearly though. Our table was very close to other tables and it felt a bit cramped. The food was good and came fast. I probably will not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Bad serviceMeg4Dined on 7/18/2014Service was bad. We didn't even finish our starter as the main course was already being served. They just put is on the table!
- Unexpected ExperiencelovegreatfoodDined on 7/18/2014What a pleasant surprise. This location was Fantastic. The food was very well presented and tasted great. Service was excellent and speedy. Portions were great. Ww would come back in any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyChrisVegDined on 7/18/2014Service was good but mains were salty, too damn salty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Casual, hip downtown lunch Nice break from shopping, with a vibrant atmosphere even after the lunch crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceillitbritDined on 7/16/2014Had the duck poutine pizza, it was delicious. Managed to finish the whole thing but it's massive, easily able to split it 4 ways. Great ambiance to the place and reasonable menu prices, definitely have to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was ok..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014Nothing particularly wrong with the place, would recommend for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great once againDrSnufalasaurasVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had dinner there with my parents during the week - for Summerlicious. Once again the menu exceeded our expectations. The service was great and very accommodating to our time restriction to be out before the theatre began. Great experience and a definite recommendation. We will be back again soon I'm sure.Special Features:
- Not surprised, and that's goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Bannock met the standards that all O&B restaurants have. Great ambiance, food and service. This particular O&B is great for lunch, whether you're looking to sit down for an hour or two, or grab something to do. Service is excellent and food is always amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Overall!coldpineapplesDined on 7/15/2014Made a reservation for Summerlicious and the staff were all extremely friendly, knowledgeable, polite, and well-mannered. Usually restaurants don't treat teenagers well, but we were treated all the same here. Although the restaurant is a bit small (which might be difficult for large groups), the ambient was warm and friendly. The food was extremely AMAZING! Had the Dredgeman's Fish Pie and it was the best pie I have ever had, still craving it now! Price wise, it was a great deal too! I would definitely visit again, and definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to try this place out!Special Features:
- Nice experienceMaryDined on 7/15/2014My friend and I had a good time. Food was good and the summerlicious price ($15) was great. I would go back there for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for SummerliciousZoeyDined on 7/14/2014The salad was very good, pickled watermelon was something that I had not tasted before and I liked it very much. For main dish I had their fish pie which I did not like very much, it was more like mashed potato pie and I did not like the taste. For desert I had apple fritter which tasted great and I recommend it.Special Features:
- Summerlicious reviewBabybluepowderDined on 7/13/2014Service was really slow compared to usual. The appetizer and dessert were so so but the fish pie was absolutely delicious. Id rather order off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another pleasant experiencemissfelixDined on 7/13/2014took my family back here to try out their summerlicious menu, after having such a great dinner experience back in march. nothing negative to say. restaurant made us feel welcome, didn't wait long for service and food. will definitely come back to try other selections on the menu. thank you o&b!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and delicious!1dayDined on 7/12/2014What an amazing summerlicious lunch! My fresh fruit Mojito was so refreshing. The staff was so helpful. Then we had an amazing beet salad with a twist, seafood pot pie and apple fritters for dessert. Wow! We will definitely make it a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.