360 West 46th St.
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bangkokhouseny.com/main.html
- Phone: 2125415943
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Bangkok House
Bangkok House is a culinary oasis for flavor-rich fine Thai dining at most affordable prices. Nestled on historic Restaurant Row, as you walk in you will be greeted by charming, authentically clad Thai waitresses who provide themselves on fine service with a smile. There are special lunch and dinner Prix Fixe Menus (including soup, salad, appetizer, entree, and dessert) as well as many house spe...cialties. We are very popular for pre-theatre dining and are open 7 days a week starting at 11:30 am, and the kitchen stays open til 11:30 pm for post-theatre dining as well. City Guide Magazine describes us as "Delicious Thai food to die for at extremely reasonable prices!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bangkok House reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance2.6Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- might have been goodtad1232000VIPDined on 10/4/2014but we weren't able to complete dining as they shut down the kitchen when
- ChampVIPDined on 9/13/2014DO NOT GO. When we arrived we were informed they no longer participate with Open Table. We left and dinned at another restaurant.
- Good theatre district ThaiCLSIMONDined on 8/9/2014There are a number of ordinary Thai restaurants in the theatre district. This one served fresh, flavorful dishes, at very reasonable prices. We ordered the Basil Eggplant, which had lots of flavor and just the right amount of heat. We also ordered a fried tofu dish with chili sauce, medium spicy. When it came, it was soft tofu, with no spice. The server was apologetic and returned in a few minutes with the dish we had ordered--which was excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opened lateYeshuaLuvsUDined on 8/9/2014made online reservations for 11:30am... arrived around 11:45am... we got in but they're still closed for business, and worse, they told us that they no longer take online reservations!!! BTW, the place looks dirty both inside and out.
- myreservation was cancelledMexicoVIPDined on 8/6/2014I made reservation for 10:45pm, to have after theater dinner. We arrived there by 10:50, but the manager refused to let us in and told us it was closed. Restaurant was almost empty....
- HarperDined on 8/2/2014They did not have a table reserved for us, and said they no longer work with Open Table. They were friendly enough, but service was slightly odd.
- blah midtown thaioldguy1652Dined on 6/28/2014Standard Americanized Thai that can be had in any medium-sized city in the US. Slightly over sauced and under spiced. Service was okay but the atmosphere was not that different from a standard diner. The one good thing was that for midtown Manhattan the price was fair, even a bit on the inexpensive side.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Bangkok House reviews archive.
- Great location + Fabulous priceMaryWDined on 6/8/2014The food was quite tasty, well-presented, ample portions and really GREAT service. My family and I dined there before a 3 pm show on Sunday and we were all amazed with the Bangkok House.Special Features:
- ISPROUDVIPDined on 5/19/2014Convenient to theatre. Delicious food and good value.Special Features:
- The Big 50thredphoenixDined on 4/30/2014Came here to celebrate a 50th birthday, perfect for an after work dinner with close friends and family. Very accommodating, allowed us to bring our own cake and helped us surprise the birthday girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ownership, new problemsmelvDined on 4/5/2014Restaurant has new ownership. Food still good, but service went downhill. Tables arriving asfter us were served first. Our food came out cold. They seemed to be overwhelmed. Called to staff for assistance and they ignored us. Also do not participate in open table any longer per maitre d.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceFoodieBriDined on 3/27/2014I had been here years ago, and knew it was down the street from the theatre I was seeing a show at that night so I made a reservation for some pre-theatre dinner. The food was pretty standard- nothing to write home about but fine. The service however was slow, in attentive, and impersonal. They gave us our check without offering us dessert, and once we did order dessert the order was wrong and we had to wait 10 minutes for the correct dessert.
- There are Better ChoicesmoodyfoodyVIPDined on 3/22/2014We dined at the Bangkok House pre-theatre, as it has a great location in the theatre district. Although we have eaten here many times in the past, our last few visits have been disappointing . This visit, I ordered pad Thai with chicken but received something else. When they brought me a new plate - it was correct but burnt tasting. The service is friendly - though sometimes slow, and the atmosphere is lacking. There are better choices on Restaurant Row - Bangkok House is definitely declining.
- Go for the food and the serviceSeanNYVIPDined on 3/18/2014Excellent traditional Thai food with attentive and professional service. The atmosphere is not particularly special but, no matter, the food is the draw. Also the bar has innovative cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not openMarkInHeightsVIPDined on 3/8/2014This was the second time I have booked a reservation through Open Table for Bangkok House, only to arrive and find it closed.
- Perfect evening - start to finish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014I recently hosted a group of 10 for dinner at Bangkok House. What a perfect evening from start to finish! We were seated very quickly and ice water was immediately served. Nobody else in our group had ever tried Thai food before and the prix fixe dinner menu was ideal. And an amazing value at $16.95 to include soup (I loved the spicy shrimp soup), Thai salad with traditional peanut dressing, steamed dumpling appetizer (on par with the best that I have ever had), stir fry (choice of beef, chicken, pork or vegetable) with seven different sauce selections (or pad thai) and dessert (delicious). The service was prompt and attentive. Everybody in our group praised the quality of the food and the Thai dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai FoodToyFair2014Dined on 2/17/2014They serve very good Asian comfort food. My group enjoyed everything they ordered. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bangkok House LunchGeeGeeVIPDined on 2/11/2014Good food, food came very quickly and was priced right. Great find on Dining Rewards for a lunch spot on 9th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pre show dinnerDrFoodDined on 1/24/2014The only thing I'd change is the front entrance & bathroom (in back)both of which were freezing & letting cold air in every time either door opened(just visited 1/25/14). Obviously not an issue in warmer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of Double Tipping!moodyfoodyVIPDined on 1/24/2014Bangkok House is a good Thai restaurant, however, I am angry because they tried to get a double tip. When they presented the original bill, a 20% tip was automatically added to the total (we were ONLY 5 people). Then, they ran our credit card and STAPLED the original bill BEHIND the credit card receipt. This receipt ALSO had a place for gratuity. "Conveniently," this top slip covered the original bill completely, revealing ONLY the bottom section of the original bill which talked about recommended gratuity. Therefore, when looking at the receipt awaiting signature, you saw: the "subtotal" on the receipt, a line for gratuity, a line for total, and (sticking out from behind the receipt) information on recommended gratuity. Not okay.
- Excellent Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014My wife and I ate here on a day trip up from Baltimore. We each had the Chicken Coconut Soup, Salad, and Steamed Dumplings. The soup in particular was incredible! For entrees, I had the Red Curry with Chicken and she had the Pad Thai with Chicken. The Curry was delicious and she really love her dish as well. Both were so filling that neither of us could finish. Dessert was light and the perfect topping. $16.95 a piece for all of that in Manhattan is a steal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for TwoLLum83VIPDined on 1/10/2014Two friends of mine went here for dinner, they're visiting from France and wanted to try a Thai food restaurant. They loved this place and said that everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Thai mealPeggersDined on 12/26/2013Good food, not exorbitant prices in a basic but friendly setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemKyxesDined on 12/23/2013Went 2 days before christmas and before the big dinner rush, so it was relatively quiet. Very large menu for such a small restaurant, but we found fish and duck to be the proteins of choice. The dessert made the meal; jackfruit and sticky rice. Great food. Reasonable prices and a wide selection to satisfy any palate. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ThaiTjlealand3Dined on 12/14/2013The shrimp soup was incredible, red curry chicken was flavorful not overpowered by one spice and still spicey....I will be designing my visits to the city around Bangkok house!!!Special Features:
- Food was good but rather ordinary.PhilVIPDined on 11/29/2013Food was good but rather ordinary. Prices very reasonable for NYC. One thing that detracted from the atmosphere was that it sounded like they were scrubbing the kitchen with a wet broom while we were dining.
- nothing but terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/25/2013this place was a disappointment overall from food, service to ambience. didn't expect much either, which makes the disappointment much worse. not sure if this restaurant is upto par for opentable.. felt like having a meal at chinese takeout place, not a restaurant booked through opentable.
- Excellent and inexpensive Thai foodjdp44VIPDined on 11/16/2013All 4 of us in our party enjoyed our dinner. The food and service were excellent. We ordered from the fixed price menu, $15.95 each person, and were all pleased with the food. All 4 courses including dessert. Will definitely go there again next time in NYC.Special Features:
- Bangkok houseArbdayDined on 10/27/2013The food was well prepared and served. The wait staff was attentive and helpful. The tilapia serving was huge. The shrimp was a nice size, not overwhelming. The menu was very reasonably priced for New York so close to theaters. The music was a bit loud and disconcerting. I would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame on you, Open TableFredVIPDined on 9/28/2013How did this place possibily get 5 stars in your reviews? Do you SELL your stars?
- Tasty food, but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2013Service was attentive, and the food was tasty but nothing special and a bit overpriced. Took a long time to get the check at the end.
- not greatcjzsVIPDined on 9/17/2013Went for lunch and expected an authentic thai cuisine. Only the items of the lunch special were available. Most of the items seemed to be directly off the Sysco truck. The salad consisted of two leaves of white lettuce with a blop of peanut paste and a slice of unripe tomato. The spring rolls were the size of my pinky finger and looked like something out of the cosco freezer case. I will definitely look for another thai restaurant to frequent.
- Go there!LisaDined on 8/30/2013Delicious cheap food and quick service in a cosy restaurant street close to Times square.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai foodmarcoDined on 8/27/2013I love Thai food and this place makes a really authentic curry. We came a bit early (before 6pm) so we got the early bird special (soup, salad, entrees for 10USD) Excellent value for money and it is a 5 mins walk to most of the broadway shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Theater DistrictBuffetGuyVIPDined on 8/21/2013Reasonably priced menu, special for lunch, amazingly inexpensive. All are enhanced by good service. If you like Thai food, you'll love Bangkok House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for after-theater diningMarcySueDined on 7/18/2013Service was good, and the food was decent. The best part, though, was being able to book the reservation from my phone at the theater! Everyone in my party liked their food except me. I ordered Pineapple fried rice. There were only 5 pieces of pineapple, and when I asked for more, the waitress told me it would be $2. I passed on that, and was glad, because when I tasted the pineapple, I realized it was beginning to turn - very acidic. My husband had Chicken Fried Rice, my daughter had mango salad, and both really liked it. Two of our party ordered "spicy", but the food was not - the waitress brought some sauce to add to it at the table. Food did come quickly, and the atmosphere was pleasant - tablecloths, quiet, and air conditioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Thai food with veryMelizeDined on 6/1/2013Fantastic Thai food with very friendly, gracious staff. Right in the middle of NYC's Hull's Kitchen. Great location, prices and food!Special Features:
- Excellent seafood!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2013We were a group of 8 ladies that came from a broadway show, and 4 of us had seafood....one had the tilapia and the other 3 had red snapper....Everything was great! But I highly recommend the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch specials awesome, hidden gem!SteveDined on 5/16/2013Great lunch specials (wide variety - veggie, chicken, pork, etc.) ! Friendly service! A real gem on W46th surrounded by restaurants that are a little pricier when it comes to just a casual lunch. You get a lot for your buck at this place. Without a reservation, get there a couple of minutes before Noon or right at Noon. You can take your time and enjoy lunch and they do not rush you out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherDMSESQVIPDined on 4/27/2013The food was just ok. The pad Thai sauce was heavy and not very flavorful. The spring rolls we doughy and under cooked. My sister picked the daily dinner special; the shrimp was old and the calamari was overdone. We wouldn't go back.