18 Elm Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1G7Neighborhood:
Yonge and Dundas Square
ThaiPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bangkokgarden.ca/
- Phone: (416) 977-6748
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: William Thetsombandith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Cross Street: Yonge / Bay
- Public Transit: Easily accessible through the subway via the Dundas and College stations. Bus stops are located at the intersection of Bay and Elm Streets.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Paid street parking is available.
Parking is also available in neighbouring lots and hotels.
A word from Bangkok Garden
Bangkok Garden has been acclaimed as one of North America’s premier Thai restaurants. The food is authentic, based on centuries of Thai culinary tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bangkok Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)good for groups (39)special occasion (36)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (21)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Table for nineTronDined on 4/4/2014We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. Buffet as always, was well prepared and presented. Overall, we had a wonderful meal and really can recommend it for group meals.Special Features:
- Great BuffetHungryTravellerDined on 4/3/2014The selection of dishes available on the buffet provided a great choice for satisfying the taste of each of the guests who joined me for our business luncheon. The Thai theme provides an array of rich flavors and textures to satisfy. The soup bar provides an opportunity to create customized versions of noodle soups spiced and flavored to taste. The dessert bar provided a broad selection of sweets to top off the meal.Special Features:
- Really good bang for your buckOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2014It offers one of the better buffets in town. A lots of variety and, overall, the food is very good. It has a clean and pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- The quietest restaurant, presumablyTheoldbearDined on 4/1/2014The quietest restaurant, presumably because of the Teak. Very beautiful with great service. The bar/lunch bar was the best part way back in the 2000's when I worked a few blocks away, but I've not been to the new version. I'm old and just go for lunch, now. Great place and you can book a big table for a meeting and you can hear! I actually did this in 2011 at the holiday season, before I retired! Everyone raved about how good the meeting was. Not too many restaurants that can say that today. In many restaurants, if you are three seats away, you might as well be on different planets! Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the frustrationElaineDined on 3/27/2014The restaurant had several promotions to draw in customers and then nickel and dimed us on the bill - we had a gift card and they considered that a 'discount' so we couldn't use it and also receive a sale price on anything - they even acknowledged they had messed up the marketing but refused to budge or honor their offers - seemed like a poor way to increase business or make customers feel valued!
- Authentic Thai Experiencefoodie123Dined on 3/26/2014From end to end my experience here was wonderful. The food was fresh, the service was impeccable and the ambiance was very true to the Thai culture. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Once favourite place now needs workthaifanDined on 3/15/2014I've always loved Bangkok Garden for its tranquil lovely ambience and great service, as well as excellent Thai food. It still has the first two, but the third is slipping. I and a friend usually go once a month, and both of us love the steamed ginger fish. On our last visit a couple of days ago, it was no longer salmon but tilapia -- a fish not recommended for human consumption. The accompanying veg was soggy. The waitress offered to get us something else. But the fish dishes were mainly deep fried and apparently also tilapia. I know this is a cheap fish but Bangkok should be a cut above. My friend's chicken salad was as good as ever, but I gave up. I'd like to return to the Bangkok, and am hoping in the future things will take an upturn.Special Features:
- Enjoyable lunchMarlaDined on 3/13/2014We really enjoyed our lunch at Bangkok Garden. The food was tasty - need more non-vegetarian options though. It would be nice to have non-veg spring rolls, non-veg pad thai and noodles. The meat curries and dishes were good. There were so many vegetarian options, but please think of adding more non-vegetarian selections too. Female manager seemed a bit abrupt. The servers were wonderful!Special Features:
- I've been several times overOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014I've been several times over the years and the restaurant never disappoints. Price is great and food selections very good. Buffet always stocked and LOVED the 1/2 price bottles of wine at my last group lunch. Everyone really enjoyed it. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Will visit againinANDoutDined on 2/28/2014Overall a good experience. I went with my family around 6pm prior to a nearby show that began at 7:30pm - we asked for speedy service (all dishes and the bill brought out at once)) and they were more than happy to oblige. Due to the time constraint on our end, our experience was rushed and so we did not get to fully enjoy ourselves properly. Will definitely go again and give it a proper chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like last yearHard2PleaseDined on 2/28/2014Have eaten in this restaurant for the previous couple of years and really enjoyed the food. This year the spicy beef salad was not the same as I remember, but very nice with an appropriate amount of spice. I enjoy spicy Thai foods often. The emerald (green) curry was very disappointing - not at all vibrant. It was more like a chicken stew. I will not return as there are many other Thai dining options to be explored. The total tab with tip and two moderately priced glasses of wine was over $62.00 - quite high for a mediocre dining experience.
- The restaurant was convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2014The restaurant was convenient to the Mirvish Theatre which was ideal as we had tickets for an 8:00 p.m. performance. Our waiter made sure our dinner was well timed without being rushed. Top marks all around!Special Features:
- Great Thai foodAllanVDined on 2/24/2014I understand they have been around a long time however I had dinner there on Feb 24th for the first time. The food was great and the service excellent. Also, the cost was very reasonable. In addition at the end of the dinner they issued 10% discount vouchers...nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright ExperienceRyooDined on 2/15/2014As title stated the food quality is ok with the price itself I would expect more than just an ordinary dish. However the restaurant is very good and unique but just dont expect much from the food itself.Special Features:
- Worst Thai Resturant EVER!BeelikemikeDined on 2/14/2014ZERO STARS! hostess was very rude, we were 10 mins early for our 8:30pm reso, hostess was just like " your early sit down over there till 8:30!"... When we did get our table and waited bout 8 mins for our server to come over to greet us we asked if we can order and the server said ok i will be back in 2 mins. 2 mins turned to bout another 8 mins. (We sat upstairs and our server kept disapearing downstairs) (we can hear the next table beside us complaining about his disapearing act and was fustrated waiting on the server for the bill) it took 45 mins after we ordered to get our nuke warm food. Food was not authentic thai food at all! Would not recommend my worst enemy to eat here!
- Very slow serviceVday26Dined on 2/14/2014Had dinner on valentines day and ordered off their set course menu. Still took 2.5 hours to finish dinner. The server was very nice but the long wait and the fact that the food was just okay would make me think twice about going back.
- Great food but horrible serviceAvidrestaurantuerDined on 2/14/2014Horrible serivice. Had to wait for over an hour for the apps to come then another 30 mins for the entrees. There was barely a waiter Very disappointed overall considering it was for valentines day and assumed the service should be better then usual. The 'stir fry vegetable on tofu' turned out to be Bok Choy and tofu..personally not a fan of Bok Choy I thought it would have been mixed veggies. Flavour were good. Finally when packing up the food. I barely touched one of the curries because I was full after horfing down my meal so fast cuz I was so hungry after the long wait. I got my takeout bag and I saw about 1/4 of my original it came back in the same small size container, but watered down so it could fit in another one the same sizeSpecial Features:
- Valentines DayNomichanDined on 2/14/2014Fantastic food! We had three in our group all different dietary requirements which wasn't a problem as the variety was vast! The grilled sea bass was so tender and flaky just as it should be. All of us enjoyed our meals. However if I could make one suggestion - it seems our waitress was too busy with the other tables in our section that night - which is understandable seeing as it was Valentines. BUT, once she served our mains we didn't see her until 45 minutes after our plates had been cleared! By the time we got the dessert menu, which we had to ask for, they were out of the panacotta. Which wasn't a problem as we thought " okay let's order something else " to which the waitress responded " that will take 20 mins". We left instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksPjspaletDined on 2/13/2014We had a lovely meal and our server Nichole was appropriately attentive. Staff were all friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!Elmstreeter1Dined on 2/13/2014Had lunch with three friends recently and the buffet is the thing to do here! So good. Everything tastes really good. Friendly service and great decor make this restaurant a must!Special Features:
- GreatAlfredKDined on 2/12/2014Nice ambiance for business discussion (everyone needs a break from steakhouses once in awhile right?) or a romantic dinner as diners are quite reserved and quiet. Tables are spaced apart nicely. We were seated upstairs and I was worried that service would be less attentive, but that was definitely not the case. Our waiter was attentive and checked up on us at a appropriate frequency. We ended up eating from the Winterlicious menu as it was less overwhelming than the full menu. The dual rolls were a tasty combo of the savoury crisp spring rolls complemented by the cool refreshing salad rolls. I had the chicken laksa which was very flavourful and had nice thick rice noodles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLove2EatDined on 2/12/2014If there is an option for the buffet menu or winterlicious. Choose the buffet. The food from the winterlicious menu was awful. It was as if they just took the food from the buffet and plated it nicely for you. My sister and I both could not finish the entree. The padthai had a bad flavour and the red curry had no flavour but bamboo shoot flavour. We took one bite from the dessert (coconut tapioca) and could eat no more. The texture was gross and it had no flavour. I'm sure the waiter noticed that we hardly touched our meal but didn't offer us the buffet option. If the only difference is the desserts, then I rather opt out and enjoy the more varied food.
- Food good when it finally arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/11/2014Decided to order from the Winterlicious menu which was a mistake as clearly they're only set up for self- service buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the food. ChickenNikaDined on 2/10/2014I enjoyed the food. Chicken Laksa was a bit on a spicy side for me (a bit too much so it was difficult to taste the food properly), but it is Thai food! I don't know why I expected it to be less spicy. Spring rolls and banana fritters (served with mango ice cream - delicious!) made up for it though. I giving the overall experience 4/5 only because we had to wait for our food more than usual, although I can't say that there were a lot of people.Special Features:
- Disappointed!Sally445Dined on 2/10/2014I came here for Winterlicious with my friend on a Monday night. The restaurant wasn't busy or overly crowded which i liked. My experience was pretty much very positive until after our desserts had arrived. Me and my friend was catching up on good old times when our waiter brought us our bill without us asking for it. I thought he wanted us to have it so we could complete a survey before we were ready to leave. Five minutes later he came back with a credit machine when i never asked him for or did I put down my credit card signalling him to bring the machine over. I was really disappointment and felt like we were being rush out of the restaurant when there's no line ups at the door.Special Features:
- Slightly Disappointed :(WinterliciousCustomer2014Dined on 2/10/2014After an amazing Winterlicious lunch last week, my partner and I decided to find another "hidden gem" to try this week. We booked the Bangkok Garden for lunch hoping for another fine dining, luxurious experience. We were slightly coerced into choosing the buffet option, being told it was a better deal with more options. However, we found there was a longer wait and you were forced rush through the line to accompany patrons behind you. The food was luke-warm and lacked many of the main components (i.e. missing the meat). Often trays were empty by the time we got to them (i.e. Red Curry which was what I originally wanted to order) and was not refilled by the time we exited the line. We couldn't be bothered to wait again in the line.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedbankaiDined on 2/9/2014I left a special request when making a reservation, asking Bangkok Garden to write "Happy Birthday Mom" on a plate of dessert for my mom's birthday. This did not happen. The appetizers were served inconsistently, with my sister having one chicken satay skewer less than the rest of us. Thai ice tea was way too sweet. Overall, I wouldn't come back.
- Would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014A friend and I came to Bangkok for winterlicious and got the chicken satay as the appetizer, seafood curry pad thai as an entree and chocolate chai mousse for the dessert. It was wortb every penny. Beautiful ambience, the service was good and again the food was delicious. Best thai place so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinterliciousJillianCDined on 2/8/2014The banana fritter was incredible! As were the mussels and the beef stirfry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet vs WInterliciousBridgeDined on 2/8/2014After three services tried to talk us out of ordering of the winterlicious menu we went with the buffet (which was the same price). Lots of delicous vegetarian options and relatively healthy desserts at the buffet. Service though was sparce. Hard to find someone to order drinks, get chop sticks, and pay the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious thaiYummyDined on 2/6/2014Yummy, yummy Thai food! Winterlicious options were diverse. Great price. Great wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationnightonthetownDined on 2/6/2014Wonderful authentic Thai food served in this unique romantic restaurant with teak décor. Our waiters were attentive, but not intrusive. We had a great birthday celebration. This is one of our favourite restaurants in Toronto!! We'll be back. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Couples RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014I took my wife here for dinner for her birthday and we both loved the experience. The food was great, the service was great, and it had a very calming/relaxing ambiance with excellent service. Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a couples dinner or even a for a nice night with family or friends. We had the winterlicious menu which was very reasonably priced, but the regular menu I would say is mid-priced for a nice restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winterlicious treatTheatrebuffDined on 2/5/2014The restaurant is conveniently located to the Mirvish Theatre. Our waiter was knowledgeable and gave advice when asked. The drinks arrived very quickly, but we did not feel rushed. Once we had decided what to eat, I was impressed that the level of attention to us did not change as it could when all of us ordered from the Winterlicious menu. The presentation of the appetizer, main course and dessert was very pleasing to the eye, the food was warm and delicious. We were very pleased and plan to eat there again when we are in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Thai FoodFoodie89Dined on 2/3/2014We dined here for Winterlicious , it was awesome ! Everything was well prepped and proudly served. You can tell they cared about everything that was plated that evening. Except for the rowdy table behind us, this would have been the perfect foodie date. Highly recommended if you love Thai food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch buffetJavierDined on 2/3/2014My partner and I originally went in for the Winterlicious lunch, but the hostess was very helpful and pointed out that the buffet had the same items as the winterlicious menu, and then some. Of course, we decided to try the buffet instead and we were not disappointed. Above all, we loved the noodle soup station, where the person behind the bar prepared you a wonderful soup according to your taste. It was delicious. There were vegetarian (green curry, pad thai, salad rolls) and non-vegetarian options (emerald chicken, amongst others) in addition to a few very delicious desserts (the sweet potato and the banana fritters with honey were my favourite. It's a great value for your money. JavierSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Done for WinterliciousShayDined on 2/1/2014We were very impressed with the seafood pad thai - great flavours and perfectly cooked squid!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definately recommend!MoosyDined on 2/1/2014We went to Bangkok Garden because they were the only restuarant that offered Laksa on their Winterlicious menu. Since we has been on the quest to find the most spicy food in Toronto, we went for it. We were not disapointed. The Laksa was delicisous and spicy! Strongly recommend to try it out. The appertizer and dessert were very good too. Overall we were very happy to pick Bangkok Garden for its Laksa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinterliciousClassikTDined on 2/1/2014Amazing!! Great food, in fact the best Thai food I've ever had. And the staff are just darling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food&atmosphere, slow serviceanneDined on 1/31/2014Went for winterlicous, for a prix fix meal it was a ton of food. the servers are all very attentive and the restaurant is nice. Its a bit too dark in some areas and then other table have spot lights over the tables. I would recommend this place but my only warning is the plating is a bit slow, it took two of us from 8:30-11:00 to have 3 courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.