600 Williamson St., Ste M
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
IndonesianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bandungrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6082556910x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai
- Executive Chef: Pram Adriansjach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bandung
Since early 2000, Bandung Indonesian Restaurant has shown Madisonians to the exotic tastes of Indonesia. A country that spans over 17,000 islands, the cooking culture is rich, varied and exciting. Known as the "Paris of Java," Bandung, is particularly renowned for its architecture, scenery, culture and cuisine, and it is the flavor of all four that Bandung Restaurant brings to Madison. In a casual setting, this family-run eatery serves traditional food from various regions of Indonesia, as well as creative fusion entrees and Thai-inspired specialties. Most dishes are prepared to order, therefore the kitchen is always happy to accommodate any special requests related to allergies, spice levels, or vegan-friendly substitutions. Expect dishes fashioned around exotic executions of beef, chicken, duck, lamb, seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bandung reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Great night!peaceloversDined on 9/6/2014This was our first visit to Bandung. The service was excellent, we loved our food, the specialty margaritas were delicious, and it was a wonderful visit. The weather was lovely, so we were able to sit outside, which was a definite perk. We will be back!Special Features:
- Not for large groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We had a large family dinner (12 people) at Bangdung. While the food was pretty good, getting it to the table was a major problem. The restaurant was not full. Still, we waited more than an hour for the first of our entrée plates to arrive and then they came out one or two at a time for the next 20 minutes. Our server never acknowledged the lengthy wait nor the fact that the food came out so slowly. When we inquired as to the problem, she said they only had one prep cook and one cook and that was the best they could do. Also, there was no mention made of the possibility to specify a preference for how hot the dish should be. The dishes were too spicy for some of us.
- 45+ minute wait for foodambrai101VIPDined on 6/13/2014Someone had a party in the bar which backed up the entire dinning room (which was full on a Friday of course) for almost an hour. If they had told us this in advance, I would have gone elsewhere sine we had plans that night. Disappointed.Special Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the Bandung reviews archive.
- Great food! Great price!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014This is has been an east side favorite for our family for many years! And it just keeps getting better!!! Love the red squash curry and the pad Thai is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the lava cakekswitzerDined on 3/8/2014Still on the menu and haven't had it the last three times we went. As always though, the food was delicious. Especially love the Mega-satay entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Valentine's Day DinnerJDH1820Dined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious with a wealth of both meat and vegetarian options. All courses were satisfying, from appetizers (we had Indonesian eggrolls and a spicy cream soup) to the huge-portion (we had an extra meal of leftovers) entrees (Oseng oseng and Sambal goreng papaya), and we didn't even have room for dessert. Incredible staff as well. Our waitress chose our drinks, appetizers, and entrees for us, and all were delicious. I'll definitely be returning, and I'd recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food/Slow ServiceTinaDined on 2/14/2014The food was very good, and portions were a good value. The service was beyond slow...and a bit inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day was too busyGIOKDined on 2/14/2014In general I like Bandung. I have eaten there 4 or 5 times in the past 10 years, and enjoyed the food every time. The service is spotty, and when we went the last time, on Valentines day, they were packed to capacity, and we had to wait 45 minutes for our food. My memory of past visits was that service was slow, but not THAT slow. We watched two other parties who came in after us get their food before we got ours. We got our appetizer fairly quickly (15 mins) but waited maybe another 30 minutes for our entrees, and everyone else had theirs. They had special desserts, the cheese cake was very tasty, the fried plantains were good but needed more sauce. Still, I would go back (on a night they're less busy), and I would recommend the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dinner ExperienceSteakLoverVIPDined on 2/14/2014I recently had dinner at the Bandung restaurant. I had the asian chicken wings and Gulai Kambing, along with Thai iced tea. Everything was very good and the service was prompt and courteous. This is a restaurant that consistently does a great job and does not disappoint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!MitchDined on 2/1/2014Love, love, love this place. I live in Chicago and will make a special trip to Madison just to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, flavorful, and great cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2014I rated the food with 4 stars because, even though I understand that the chef is native Indonesian, I come from an Indonesian background myself and have traveled to the country, and I felt the food simply wasn't up to the high standards of how exquisitely flavorful and interesting Indonesian cuisine truly is. That said, my boyfriend loved his chicken satay. I've been here several times before and it is usually quiet during the week, but we went on a Friday and I was happy to see every table was full an there was a waiting list. My Cucumber Jasmine martini was fantastic. Our Nasin Goering was salty, and my squash eggplant curry was just okay. However, their other curries are phenomenal, I think I just chose wrong for my personal palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor service but food gooddjdeanVIPDined on 11/15/2013This was our second trip bot Bandung and was NOT very good. First of all the food was great. Our appetizer and main dishes (Shrimp and Fish) were perfect. Our service was very poor. We arrived on time and got a nice table. We got a server and our orders placed. Our appetizer arrived with glass of white wine. After some time we got our bottle of wine. Our server said our main dishes would be right up, if you mean 45 minutes. When paying the said the pour of the wine was small. The server went and asked the bar-tender. We were told that that was the largest they could serve. I have never had that small of a glass of wine. Then we complained about our slow service and we were told they had only one cook. So what.
- Myriad of Interesting DishesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2013There are lots of choices for dinner and it's hard to select just one. I ordered the tofu as an appetizer which was good - side of spicy sauce was a nice option. The beef dish was tasty; however, a bit too much fat/gristle for tenderloin. Husband had the rice with chicken--he increased the heat and it was very good and the rice not your basic rice--delicious. Never had Indonesian food previously and would like to try this place again. Atmosphere was on the quiet side, but it was a bit early. Got busier a bit later.Special Features:
- Meets expectationsSmb5825Dined on 9/20/2013Good food, but a bit pricey for what it is. Very busy on Friday night, so make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step forwardDiningconnVIPDined on 8/17/2013Another great food experience was enhanced with their upgraded full service bar. Although selections are a little limited, it is another step forward. Manager is very proud of improvements and seeks input from customers. Open, friendly and caring. If I lived in the area, Bandung could be a weekly event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the foodlabeleeDined on 6/8/2013We've been frequent to this place, and we'd love to recommend it to our friends. Mango curry is my personal favorite -- can't say no to white curry!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2013The food is excellent -- unique flavors, somewhat on the hot and spicy side. Service is some of the best in the city. The ambiance is very informal and welcoming. One of our favorite places. It is especially convenient that the restaurant takes reservations on the web through Open Table.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013The food and service were perfect...as usual! The best place to take a date.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The food was delicious, and while I don't have a lot of experience with Indonesian food, it seem genuine! The service was a little slow, but all of the waitresses were very nice and helpful. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great food!JamesBVIPDined on 4/20/2013Excellent food! This alone would bring me back. Servers were very nice but not always the fastest. Prices were very good - many inexpensive wine choices (whether you consider that good or bad is up to you). I would recommend.Special Features:
- After a positive experienceSuzB14Dined on 3/15/2013After a positive experience on our first visit to Bandung, we were excited to go back with out-of-town guests. We had experienced slow service on our first visit, but it was during peak hours so we made an early dinner reservation this time. Unfortunately, there seems to be know way around that at Bandung. In spite of our early arrival the service was very slow every step of the way and requests for additional items were forgotten. The dishes for the four of us arrived at different times and two in our party noted that their food was not very hot. We will not be returning.
- service letdownambrai101VIPDined on 3/8/2013took 45 minutes to get our food, the bill was wrong, and when i tried to have it corrected, they just looked at me like I was crazy. Then when they brought it back they just droped it and ran when I was trying to give them my card to pay. I had to go up to them to give them money...a real let down from our previous experiences.Special Features:
- Great food and service. SelectionsdjdeanVIPDined on 3/8/2013Great food and service. Selections on menu is great, almost to much. Location is a small strip mall without much parking. Wine list is small but a couple good ones for low prices.Special Features:
- Great "hole in the wall"!DiningconnVIPDined on 2/17/2013Pangsit goreng were little bites of sheer delight. Nasi goreng, although served without the traditional fried egg was absolutel authentic. The young ladies out front were industrious, efficient, friendly and charming. Dishes priced affordably. For a Sunday evening, I was surprised with the level of clientele and quite a vibrant to go business. On the down side, decor is basic, the to go traffic have to walk through the restaurant for pick up and a very poor wine selection. Nevertheless, I look forward to my next visit to Madison. Bandung will be on my radar.Special Features:
- Selamat makan..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Please make a reservation for Bandung, they are busy. Really great food, tastes like it was back home. My fave- bihun goreng, sate ayam, rendang and empe empe. We have tried the ristafel too, and its really good. The only problem is, the waitress tends to kind of forget about you one time, it took us forever to get our check. They are improving though.. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- We stopped by here for dinnercraftyemVIPDined on 1/26/2013We stopped by here for dinner after an early evening show. Our table was waiting for us even though we were about 15 min early. This was our first visit to Bandung and we were pleasantly surprised by the great service and even greater food. I had a curry special with tofu and veggies that was one of the best I've every had. My husband had the pad Thai and said the same. They also have a nice selection of local micro brews that pair well with the menu items as well as an extensive cocktail list. Prices are extremely reasonable. My husband took half of his meal home. I'm a vegan and happily found many choices on the menu that looked appealing. We'll definitely go back again so I can try more of them. This could become a new favoriteSpecial Features:
- Amazing flavors!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Very comfortable, over-looked bar area with a couple of couches, and live music. Good drinks! The food is amazing & full of flavor. Plenty to share & experience new things. Staff are happy to describe the dishes & bring more rice as you wish.Special Features:
- Love this food! Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Love this food! Service was great, too. Server packed our left-overs very nicely, and we ate well again the next night.Special Features:
- Now a FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2012Excellent, excellent, and did I mention excellent? Didn't write after our first visit just to make sure we didn't just catch them on a good night. Appetizers can easily be a meal if you feel like a tapas-style experience. Otherwise, there is a great variety of fish, meat, and vegetarian dishes. I can personally vouch for the catfish dishes and the duck was out of this world. I spent the last 10 years looking for duck that was as good as I had growing up, and I was actually a little sad with the end of an era when I tasted the duck here. It was not only as good as I had growing up - it put my previous best to shame. Service is great, personal, and the dining room has a cozy, but not cramped feel - no noise issues at all.Special Features:
- Bandung has been my favoriteNancyloewDined on 11/17/2012Bandung has been my favorite Madison restaurant ever since I moved he 16 years ago. Their food is outstanding!Special Features:
- A place far-far away from IndonesiaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2012If you want to feel very remote from Indonesia, this is your place to be. Only the menu resembles an authentic "Indonesian cuisine" (which btw only exists in Indonesian restaurants abroad). The food is nothing short of mediocre with a bland taste, served most unappetizing, on far too-small tables (knifes only per order), dessert turned out tasteless. I already wondered, why is such restaurant in Madison, WI? Now I know; stay away and if you crave authentic Asian food, consider getting some nice flavorful Thai food. But remember, the Indonesian kitchen abroad beats Thai food abroad by miles, however not at Bandung. Well for me, I should have read the many online food reviews. The many food pictures are authentic; nothing short of appallin
- Oh wow yes!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2012Super friggin duper yummmmmyyy! Amazing - lll positively go again and again!!!!Special Features:
- THE BEST!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012I love Bandung, I love their food! Their version of an "egg roll" (lumpia) is better than anything I have had anywhere. I have been bringing my daughter since she was 16 years old and she loves the food and especially the lumpia! When we come for dinner she orders 3 appetizers of the lumpia just for herself! I have begun bringing my stepdaughter at the age of 10....same story loves the lumpia, loves the food. I love the Pad Tai as well, also better than anywhere else I have been! Parking isn't the best (there is some behind the building if you can't find any out front), but what can you do being so close to downtown.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in Madison!MadDinerDined on 10/2/2012Bandung is our go-to restaurant when we want to eat out in a pinch either for lunch or dinner. We love their food! What a wonderful mix of flavors! Our favorites are lumpia, Kemangi Lele, Tofu Pad Thai, Eggplant Curry, Sizzling Shrimp and Holy Basil chicken or pork. I take all our out-of-town relatives to Bandung and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- Nice to eat outdoors, evenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2012Nice to eat outdoors, even if at the edge fo the parking lot. Great staff last two visits.Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2012We had a reservation and the restaurant was fairly empty but it still took the server about 10-15 minutes to introduce herself. It was definitely not the best way to start out when trying a new place, however, things steadily improved after that. The server was pleasant, the atmosphere was nice and quiet, and the food was outstanding. The portions were a good size and the prices were very reasonable. I would recommend Bandung to a friend and we will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Began dinner outside at aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2012Began dinner outside at a table that turned out to be on a anthill. After swatting ants off my feet and leges we moved to another table. All outdoor tables were too small for dinner for 4, particularly given the way food is served which included bringing oval plates for each guest and then separate plates with each entree that was ordered. Waitress seemed at a loss as to what could possibly be done. We then asked her to remove the oval (un-needed) plates at which point there was enough room. Wait staff were unable to answer any questions about the menu. Such as, here are two items, one with an asterisk for "spicy" and another without the asterisk but the written description of the two items both indicate that it is spicy.
- We were traveling from northOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2012We were traveling from north Carolina and made a stop in Madison. We both loved our meals and the service was great. She answered our questions and didn't hover over us. Would love to come back!Special Features: