3241 M ST NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bandolerodc.com/
- Phone: 2026254488x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen Hours: Monday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tony Starr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Bandolero regularly hosts events and lively happy hours. Check twitter and facebook for updates.
A word from Bandolero
Opened May 24, 2012, Bandolero is a modern Mexican restaurant in the heart of Georgetown. The two-story, 5,000 square foot, high-energy space reflects a Day of the Dead motif, and plenty of bar space to imbibe. The menu showcases classic Mexican dishes with untraditional flavor profiles, including dips served with housemade chicharones and masa crisps, tacos, taquitos, enchiladas, empanadas, and quesadillas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bandolero reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (17)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)special occasion (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Needlessly loudbreakfastloverVIPDined on 10/12/2014Went on a Sunday night. The place was not too packed, but the music was cranked up like it was a night club. That would be fine if there was a dance floor, but as a restaurant, that was completely pointless. Seriously, turn the music down. Sangria was potent. Hard-liquor potent. The menu was good, but there were too many items and descriptions which needed descriptions. When the waiter asks if you have any questions, one doesn't want to burden him/her with, "can you please translate these 20 things". In general, restaurants whose specialty is tapas should have pencil-and-paper order sheets, as is done in sushi restaurants. It can be a challenge to keep track of the 8 items you'll be ordering from 40 items across 8 categories.Special Features:
- fun vibeluveatingoutVIPDined on 10/10/2014We made a last minute reservation on open table. We went with our 7 and 10 year old. The waiter immediately suggested the few things in the menu that they would enjoy (no kids menu). The food was great and the service was awesome!! We will go back!Special Features:
- SaraKVIPDined on 10/5/2014I've been to Bandolero multiple times and have always enjoyed it. When I learned my brother was visiting from overseas and I knew him having Mexican food was a must, I immediately booked us reservations at Bandolero. It was a great way to start our visit - he loved it!!Special Features:
- JoseJoseDined on 9/30/2014Mexican tapas sounds strange but they do it very well. Somehow you feel it is ok to pay for chips and salsa. Try the suckling pig tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, some odditiesMichaelVIPDined on 9/29/2014Discovery of a good and affordable eatery in GT was most welcome. On the whole, the experience was very good. Foods are well prepared (guacamole is exceptional; enchiladas rojas (chicken) with chocolate was wonderful. We were charged extra for asking for more chips for salsa; and one order (it's a tapas place) was completely forgotten and eventually came 20 minutes later. Both oddities were removed, thankfully, from the bill (but only upon our request). We would definitely go back. We also hear that the place rocks on the weekends; but were glad that during the week, it was a nice discovery for its excellent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioussandra116Dined on 9/21/2014I've been to Bandolero several times for dinner but never for brunch. It did not dissapoint. Everything was delicious. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great small platesjpsnoDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful and the service very friendly. It is tapas, or small plates, meant to be shared by everyone. My only complaint was with the pacing. There were four of us and they recommended 3-4 dishes per person, all to be shared. They brought out 3, then shortly thereafter brought out almost everything else at once. We would have preferred to have a few dishes at a time so we could fully enjoy each thing and not feel so rushed. We wanted to eat the food while it was hot, so we felt like we had to hurry up and eat several different things all at once.Special Features:
- CherylDined on 8/18/2014Made reservation for 8:30 - we weren't there 20 min maybe 15 and they told us to order all our food kitchen was closing because it was slow. Kids not back at school yet so maybe slow but still. Not cheap eats. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All too fastFormerServerDined on 8/16/2014The food during restaurant week was good, loved the tuna tacquitos but the 3 courses all came out much to fast. I know tapas are delivered randomly but this felt really rushed and the plates were bound to get cold. It wasn't busy at all so maybe that's why the kitchen was so fast but I mentioned at least twice to slooow down and next thing you know we got the check - it so ridiculous since their was no line whatsoever for a table. We tried to longer but it was awkward. If I need a quick dinner, I'll give this another try. The interior is Spanish dungeon like but that's ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service/WaiterCechevarDined on 8/16/2014The food was good but it was cold when it arrived to us! I don't know if it was a busy time but it was really hard to get service like utensils and napkins or refills, but the worst part of the night was the waiter. He was rude and looked like he had no patience with a group (7 people), just having to explain the menus was a pain to him. It was my birthday dinner and when he was told to sing happy birthday to me he completely ignored and acted as if it never happened. I wish whatever issue he had that day he would be more friendly to customers even if we weren't his favorites! Don't plan on coming back the food was okay but really overpriced :(Special Features:
- So good!HKLandDined on 8/15/2014Really great dinner, possibly the best Mexican I've ever had. Really good flavors, textures, mixes... Awesome ambiance with great service. The only draw back might be that the food came too fast -- we just felt it came fast and so we ate fast.Special Features:
- Not your standard MexicanAtoADined on 8/14/2014Bandolero is one of our DC favorites. The food is fantastic, offering a wide variety of tapas-style Mexican inspired options. The service is always great, and the margaritas are some of the best around.Special Features:
- excellent for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014...and excellent for dinner. Whether restaurant week was a "deal" or not is a wash - it could go either way, but restaurant week is great for getting you in the door for those places you always mean to go but don't. we ordered off the special menu along with three drinks ( ~100) and enjoyed everything. there were a few of the small plates we probably wouldn't order again (pumpkin/melon soup or the enchilada - good, but compared to the tacos, why bother?) additionally - the restaurant perceived they had been slow with our table (they weren't) and thought they missed our order - so sent us another. we were upfront with the mistake and they sent it home with us - definitely a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuldooterbiDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant is the most wonderful one among Mexican restaurants I have been.Special Features:
- You must give Bandolero a try!GreenspringValleyDined on 8/9/2014This place is a lot of fun with amazing margaritas and excellent food...reasonable prices. What's not to love?Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The food was creative and good, but certainly not great. For example, the texture of the enchilada left much to be desired, and the $13 small bowl of guac was quite bland -- most people reading this could probably make better guac in about 10 minutes. Our waiter seemed quite disinterested. Not sure if it was something about us, or if he was having a bad day. He seemed to warm up to us by the end, but it wasn't very impressive. Overall, we did have some really nice dishes such as the roasted cauliflower, and the tacos. There was a lot of variety on the menu, And the margaritas were good and strong.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceagradVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went to Bandolero with my coworkers for lunch on Friday afternoon. The restaurant was empty and that was a red flag but we still dicided to give it a try. There were 6 people in our group and after a long wait we were geting our meal one at a time...? the portions were really small but the food was tasty. The 20% tip was included in the bill, and we understand that we are on M street, but we expected to get at least some service. Disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Terrific Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014The ceviches were on point and the scallops with squid ink was probably the best tasting dish we had, but they were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodMetroAreaDinerDined on 7/25/2014This is a great restaurant. The food is so good! I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because the waiters are a bit awkward sometimes. On one of my visits there, I had invited friends, and the waitress that was serving us kept recommending things other than what we wanted to order. It was just awkward to have to reconsider our orders. We also wanted their nachos as an appetizer, and she told us that she didn't recommend it because it takes too long. This didn't ruin our experience there, but it was slightly annoying.Special Features:
- Love Bandolero!DCRestaurantWeekVIPDined on 7/20/2014It is definitely a great brunch place in Georgetown. With $19 bottomless mimosas, the passion fruit mimosa was amazing! A place I will visit very often :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average Mexican food!KohaviDined on 7/17/2014I'm not qualified to say if this is more "authentic" than typical Mexican places, but it was better by a mile. The main portions are a bit smaller, but have double the flavor. Dishes aren't hidden by mounds of rice and beans. I had the enchilada roja. Tender chicken with a sauce that had some kick. My wife had scallops that were "best ever". My daughter had shrimp and was ready to lick the bowl. We had a side of plantains that was almost like dessert. Staff understands and appreciates food allergies, and was very friendly. Given the neighborhood, this place felt much more laid back.Special Features:
- Amazing tapas!Gw2222VIPDined on 7/15/2014By far one of the best tapas places and definitely the best in town. Their drinks are strong but still taste excellent and their mahi mahi tacos are out of this world deliciousSpecial Features:
- Overhyped MexicanTacoTimeVIPDined on 7/11/2014I love upscale Mexican, so I keep coming back to Bandolero hoping that'll improve. But, alas, the restaurant still has only decent food and high-end prices. Mexican dishes just don't translate well into tapas-style servings (one single enchilada in dish with no sauce or garnish just looks odd). And the food quality isn't good enough to venture beyond Mexican standards. Add over-worked waiters and servers and it's overall not the best experience. There are better options on Wisconsin Ave.Special Features:
- Never dull; always deliciousMad4FoodVIPDined on 7/9/2014Bandolero is a favorite local haunt, more for the food than the ambience. The place is hip and attracts mostly local Millenials who seem to enjoy the bar scene and the tasty tapas-style food. Chef Mike Isabella has transformed dishes like tuna taquito and roast brussel sprouts (loved by even those friends who "never eat brussel sprouts") and the food always delivers, albeit somewhat more unevenly of late. The ceviche, Thai-style this time, was outstanding and the alambres (flank steak, sliced thin, with chimichurrie sauce) always satisfy without being heavy. If you're a food lover like we are and don't mind the noise, you will enjoy your meal at Bandolero.Special Features:
- Good food unfriendly staffChymes812Dined on 7/8/2014Maybe the service is a DC thing but coming from the Midwest I expected a little more friendly service when dealing with waiter. He seemed annoyed to take our order or get us refills on our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiance .DCfoodieDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I went to get dinner here with a couple of friends and we had a great time and really enjoyed the food. We had visited the bar on other occasions but never came in early enough for dinner. This time we did, and we were very pleased with the food and service. It is a tapa style restaurant so we had a chance to try a great variety of food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014I love their margarita pitcher options - delicious!
- Delicious food, fun atmosphereCarolynDined on 6/28/2014Great service and delicious food for our group of 7, with prompt and courteous service. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 159 reviews are from the Bandolero reviews archive.
- TommyVIPDined on 6/14/2014The small plates and pitchers made ordering for a big group easy. The place was energetic but not so loud that you couldnt hear eachother talk. The food was excellent and the servers were friendly and helpful. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDenise13Dined on 6/14/2014The food was amazing ! You only need to order 2 "meals" they look small but they will fill you up ! The taste is amazing , I came when I saw Bandolerodc on the travel channel with Zimmerman. The taste is worth every penny ! Must go !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Casual DiningSnLNDined on 6/13/2014Simple ambience & all hard surfaces, so moderate sound carries throughout. Quieter upstairs tables, but bar on the first level is extremely loud. Sounds like everyone is screaming. Interesting, creative tasty menu, & our waitress was lovely & very helpful.Special Features:
- Great Girls' Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We chose this restaurant for a girls' night out and it was a perfect choice. We ordered a ton of little plates to share and most of it was fantastic. A couple of the dishes were just mediocre but for the most part we were really impressed. Add in a couple of pitchers of sangria and a really good time was had by all.Special Features:
- No.JM8991VIPDined on 5/30/2014If you like spending $10 for a single enchilada, if you don't like complimentary chips and salsa, and if you like wondering who you server is and where he or she went, then Bandolero is for you! Otherwise, don't bother. If it's good Mexican food you crave, save your money and go to Lauriol Plaza. If it's upscale Mexican fusion tapas you want, get your fill--and good service AND free chips--at Oyamel. The food was excellent. Especially the fried cornish hen. But it was not worth the money, and the service was atrocious.
- A great Sunday brunch!DCDinerDined on 5/18/2014We loved the guacamole, short rib nachos, tuna taco (ceviche), and huevos rancheros. Try the Krazy Korn on a stick and any of the tacos. This was our first time there, and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. The service was a bit slow and inattentive, and I'd still give them another try!Special Features:
- Great brunchhenfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Great brunch- food is small plates, and endless cocktails. Great service.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceTimHVIPDined on 5/9/2014They delivered impeccable food and service. I will definitely go back and we loved our server Misa! Best server we've had in DC to-date!Special Features:
- Back againindianfoodieDined on 5/5/2014Have not had dinner here in a while (more brunches). Drinks are always good -- strong :) Food is always amazing (unique and delicious). Service this time was not as good as before. Our waitress looked very stressed, even though she was not active. But I give it to her, it was Cinco de Mayo. I am sure it was crazy all day. Still quite some delays in taking orders and delivering drinks (again with the drinks -- it was Cinco de Mayo, bar was packed).Special Features:
- Ok atmosphere, average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Typical tapas place. Good for a first date if you're trying to impress someone, but the over abundance of rich college kids and the general over-pricedness of a tapas place kind of kill the mood. I like it, don't love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love BandoleroAndyPDined on 4/19/2014We've been to Bandolero a few times for brunch before, but this was our first time for dinner, and it was fantastic. The guacamole is some of the best I have ever had, and the crispy short rib nachos were amazing. The chorizo taco and alambres were fantastic as well. I wouldn't recommend the pollo frito though. We had a great time at Bandolero with the excellent food, very nice wine list, and plenty of time to eat our tapas and relax.Special Features:
- Sub-par mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Far better places in DC. Oyamel blows them out of the water. Margaritas were sugary and really just not great.