Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar
2020 Florida Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mybananaleaves.com/
- Phone: (202) 986-1333
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Takeout
A word from Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Welcome to Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant & Sushi Bar, rated among the best restaurant in Metro Washington DC. We are pleased to bring you the finest Asian cuisine in town. We serve freshly prepared dishes from Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, China, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia and elsewhere in the Asia. At Banana Leaves, all our ingredients are carefully selected and prepared to the best by our chef. We use some organic fresh vegetables, and with healthy cooking style to serve you delicious, healthy and tasteful meal. Fresh and delicious is our commitment and your satisfaction is our priority.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)good for groups (3)romantic (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Awesome little dinner stopOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Stopped in here for dinner on one of our last nights in DC. Staff was attentive and food was tasty. Quiet evening, we sat in the upstairs section and it was easy to have a good conversation while enjoying dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodated a big groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014They were able to accommodate our large group and did a great job serving imus, making good food. Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian TreatBarneyDined on 10/26/2014Great find. Enjoyed the food and the staff. Good food, good service and clean. Enjoyed our dining experience here.Special Features:
- AverageTonyDined on 10/17/2014Not very exciting. Service was slow. Had sashimi which was fresh, but somewhat pricey.
- Fantastic Food, but...SLGDCVIPDined on 10/10/2014Would love to have not had the tv on during dinner - the place is small, tables run next to the bar, so the two tv's (volume up) were a distinct distraction from the charming Asian music and the amazingly good food!Special Features:
- Hipster ParadisechelcakDined on 9/17/2014This gem is tucked along Florida Avenue with a modest exterior. Clean, modern decor and scrapbooked menus create a comfortable vibe, paired with attentive service. The food came out quickly and was both delicious and reasonably priced. Definitely would recommend for a chill dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Washington Gemsr22natlDined on 9/17/2014Our group was visiting from GA and found this place on Open Table. The food was amazing! Our entire group was raving about the food, even the picky eater who never eats Asian food. I highly recommend the crispy asian beef, and chicken satay. If we ate ever back in DC, this place is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Tried something new this time......shrimp and mixed vegetable tempura bento box. So good! Too much food. My friend ordered some of the rolls; he dines there at least once a week. Great food, great service!Special Features:
- Wonderful flavors lovely settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014I love going to Banana Leaves for lunch with friends! The selection is diverse and the food fresh and fairly authentic. The menu is reasonably priced. I have only gone for lunch and have never ordered alcohol, but have eaten lunch at the bar in order to watch the World Cup on tv.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not overwhelming goodrestonresidentDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant serves a variety of Asian cuisine. My selection was a Thai curry. It was fine, but I've had better in Thai restaurants. Two of my colleagues had the house specialty (not sure what country it represented) and were very happy with it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every Dish!!DouglasVIPDined on 8/1/2014We first went to this restaurant for dinner with another couple - every dish was delicious. Since then we have ordered for delivery two times, each time trying something new - every dish has been delicious.Special Features:
- robertDined on 8/1/2014Always excellent food and service at reasonable prices.One of our favorite DC places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Banana Leaves Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- robertDined on 6/28/2014One of our favorite DC restaurants.Consistently excellent food and service at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- I will come back!vladdcDined on 6/11/2014Delicious food, fast and good service - I will certainly come back to this place!Special Features:
- Ended badlyFormerFedVIPDined on 6/10/2014Hadn't been to Banana Leaves in years although it's only seven blocks from my condo. Wasn't sure why after I finished the four small plates I got for dinner, all of which were tasty. Then the Mango & Sticky Rice appeared and I recalled how much I hated this overly-sweet version of my favorite dessert.
- Decent meal, poor ambianceyaktrax7VIPDined on 5/9/2014Decent food - came out fast and fresh. The ambiance leaves something to be desired as decor is bare and TVs make it feel a bit sparse.
- Food- meh, service friendlyWestCoastStarDined on 4/13/2014The Asian fusion food was definitely meh. Bland and generic, with adequate portions. Our teriyaki chicken was airplane quality. Service was friendly. Small dining room next to the bar, more like a bar with a few tables. We were seated immediately at the large front window with a nice view of Connecticut Ave. The noise level would have been fine, but a diner at the next table was screeeechy and talked non-stop, certainly not the fault of the restaurant. We had just arrived in DC, and needed food. This was convenient to out hotel, but would not go back or recommend.Special Features:
- Great lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014I picked this based on OpenTable reviews for a quiet business lunch, had a GREAT experience. Service was very attentive and prompt. We ordered some items from the menu, some just asking the server for custom sushi items. Sushi was VERY VERY fresh, I had tuna and my colleague Salmon, delicious. Will go back with the family. I didn't see a parking lot although the description indicated there is one.Special Features:
- Moderate Prices in DupontotberburVIPDined on 4/5/2014Banana Leaves has several virtues: (1) Prices are very moderate for the neighborhood, with several entrees available for less than $10; (2) the dining room is pleasant; and (3) the place is seldom crowded. Banana Leaves' menu features items from several Asian cuisines. None is executed with particular distinction (the wontons in my soup were shaped irregularly), or authenticity (the main source of heat in Singapore Rice Noodles is jalapenos rather than curry), but the result is respectable enough -- it's certainly a step above takeout fare. Servers are more engaged than in many nearby Asian restaurants.
- One of our favorite restaurantsrobertDined on 4/4/2014One of our favorite restaurants in DC.Its our "Go to Place" when we have company and family in town....always reliably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint little spotNakeshiaDined on 3/28/2014This is a very cute place, with good food and a very nice ambience. I really enjoyed my visit there and would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceLoriInDCDined on 3/26/2014It is an adorable restaurant with good food however they do not have experienced servers. Our entire order came out at the same time (soups and salads were ordered first). The server didn't have knowledge of the menu - both food and cocktail. We did finally get our bottle of wine right before dessert was delivered.
- We had a bad server. OutsideLarryVIPDined on 2/10/2014We had a bad server. Outside of that everything was good
- Great lunch spot - deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/10/2014Great lunch spot - delicious food, and quiet enough for conversation. Food came out quickly and staff was extremely accommodating.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014We had a group of five and wanted a place to have an enjoyable conversation. The setting and service was great. The food was awesome. Everyone enjoyed their dishes and appetizers. The drinks were fun and inexpensive compared to other restaurants. Highly recommend for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ReebsDined on 1/25/2014My friends and I ordered a number of things and shared. This place had the best Roti Canai I've ever hard and all the various dishes were amazing. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- deliciousnickDined on 12/18/2013This was delicious. I will be coming back with multitudes of friends to impress. Service was great. Sushi was fabulous. Meals were fffantastic. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation mealHenmchDined on 11/29/2013We visited on the day after thanksgiving whilst on vacation from the UK. Excellent restaurant near to our hotel in DuPont circle. Staff were very friendly. Good choice on the menu. We will probably go again before we return home but next time might sit upstairsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, good priceArniDined on 11/27/2013We had dinner at the Banana Leave in DC last night. We did not know the restaurant before as this was our first time. The place looks like a small bar with a few tables: a typical local eatery. The food was OK, not great, but the waiters and all staff were very nice. We might go back for a quick bite as the price is very attractive, with a bottle of wine it cost us less than $60 (the wine at $25).
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2013The food was good, but not great. Most of it I could make at home, although the "Banana Leaf" dish was quite good with ingredients and cooking techniques that my kitchen is not equipped for. The "Honey and Peanut Noodle" dish was just standard Pad Thai with 2 types of noodles, but there was nothing else special about it. I have had better Pad Thai at Thai restaurants. The Roti appetizer was the same roti I can buy at a store. The wonton soup used fresh ingredients and a light broth which was good. Bottom Line: There are cheaper Asian restaurants in DC that have the same quality, or better food. That being said, the food was good enough to have me go back to try other dishes at some point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gem!outoftownerDined on 10/18/2013I booked solely on Open Table reviews and wasn't disappointed! From the outside it doesn't seem like much - inside is small and by 7:30 on Friday night it was packed! We were seated promptly and the waiter was very attentive. Appetizers - Won ton soup, fried pork dumplings, spring rolls and assorted sushi - all were very good. For the main course we had the grilled honey peanut chicken - very good, the kung pao chicken - also very good and some pork fried rice. All the food was presented very nicely and even though we ordered alot of food, it wasn't heavy or filling. My only critique is that most of the food was served at a lukewarm temperature. It could be served just a bit warmer. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Just fineDMC222VIPDined on 10/18/2013The food was just fine. The menu is great, lots of options. We had the pork dumplings (yum), the chicken satay (good), the sesame shrimp (great) and the Tom yum soup--not so good. I think the main problem was that the food was served lukewarm. I may have enjoyed it more if it was hot.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!DCVisitorDined on 10/17/2013We had a large party (13) for a birthday and we had excellent service! The staff was attentive and patient. The food was amazing! They brought ice cream and sang happy birthday to the birthday girl. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This one of my favorite restaurantsNeishaDined on 10/12/2013This one of my favorite restaurants! The staff is always professional, attentive, and polite. The food is consistently delicious and the ambience is soothing. Beautiful restaurant, awesome food, and wonderful staff...what more could you ask for...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dinner SpotSarahMDined on 9/27/2013The Banana Leaves Rice in particular is a great dish, I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great service, bad orderjensseyDined on 9/23/2013I enjoyed coming here and people love coming to this place.i ordered the honey peanut noodles and I was disappointed as the taste and texture were average at best. I'd try another dish and come back though. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast and friendlyKDTTVIPDined on 9/19/2013Great for a quick lunch. Good food and fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's the thing at Banana LeavesNeighborVIPDined on 9/13/2013Not fancy, not glitzy, just GREAT FOOD. A nice quiet place to talk over lunch.Special Features:
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2013I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant and the service was fantastic. The roti is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseDCGirlVIPDined on 8/20/2013I have wanted to try this restaurant for years but I didn't know anyone who had eaten there and was a bit skeptical about how good the food would be. Well, now I am kicking myself that I didn't try it sooner. The food was very good and the service was friendly. We ordered 2 of the grilled dishes and enjoyed them both. There is upstairs seating but we sat downstairs. Prices are reasonable and food is delicious! Don't wait as long as I did to experience this Pan-Asian delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.